BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-11-2023, 08:39 PM   #23
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFVM3 View Post
No, the average per day in CA where everything is too expensive is still half that. Depends on the track, but last I checked even Laguna Seca was "only" $300/day.

https://www.speedventures.com/events/

That being said, it is a very expensive hobby... track tires are the biggest cost. I've become a tire bargain hunting expert, I have 18 track tires ranging from good to great condition in my garage right now, I will be using them up in next 4 months
Laguna Seca on a 93db sound limit day often go for less than a 103db day. 103db days go for as high as $600 at Laguna Seca depending on the organizer and time of the year.

Going rate at Sonoma Raceway is $350-$400, and same with Thunderhill. Check www.motorsportreg.com for a comprehensive list.

Tire replacements add up, but so do brakes, fuel, oil change and track insurance. Track insurance coverage for a $100k policy is around $600 with a 10% deductible ($10k out of pocket).

Cost is definitely a major factor with the lack of participation.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 10:50 PM   #24
SFVM3
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
SFVM,

From Crystal Lake to Lake Arrowhead to Onyx Peak to Angeles Forest Highway to the Malibu Canyons to Ojai's Maricopa Highway (Rt.33), I have driven those same canyon roads in southern California, in some engaging vehicles. Just know that you are very, very fortunate to have those kinds of roads coupled with that topography and weather pattern just 5 minutes from where you live. For car enthusiasts, that's literally a dream come true. Never take it for granted.

99% of us are not so lucky. And so I agree with you, that you need a closed course to genuinely understand the impressive performance that the BMW engineers have baked into the G8X.

I hope to be back in Southern Cal this winter (my friend lives just below Santa Barbara), and if I come, maybe we can meet up and do some canyon runs together. I always seem to be able to find a fun car on Turo to rent, and there's nothing like driving someone else's car through those canyons. The last time I was there, I gathered with some other BMW enthusiasts (even though I was in a AMG GT), and we did some run up through the canyons out of Azusa.
Trust my I don't take it for granted, I go for a drive every chance I get. That sounds good, message me here and maybe we can meet for a drive or an event at Willow Springs... if I go outside the canyons in my neighborhood for anything but track days I go to Malibu canyons like Piuma, Las Flores and some other really twisty ones further north that also take me to Zuma beach.

In my "backyard" I have Laurel, Coldwater and Beverly Glen Canyons up to Mulholland... I like to drive Mulholland to Sepulveda north through the tunnel, 2nd gear rip to redline with my loud stock exhaust through the tunnel, great sweeping curves back down the hill. This area up and around Mulholland is where James Dean learned to drive and love racing--he left in his Spyder for races at Monterey from his house in Sherman Oaks 5 min from mine.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ja...2lqb?entry=ttu
Appreciate 0