home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

05-01-2023, 07:58 PM   #1
saifybear
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4/M3

G80 xDrive springs install $950?

My shop quoted $950 for HR super sport springs and spacers also alignment installation. Is this a reasonable price or is this too much? And does anyone recommend a shop in NorCal

Last edited by saifybear; 05-01-2023 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 04:24 PM   #2
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21'-x3m40i 23'-m4c 24'-x3mc

I see no one answered - My m4 comp x-drive needs all four springs. I've ordered Eibachs/20mm.

My trusted local shop = 1000$ without alignment. They are good guys - honest. Clearly have not done this on an M4. They are only guys who are willing to work on my Porsche 968.

Then called a well- reputed import/performance alignment/suspension shop in the larger town next to me. They work on everything - but no xdrive m3/4's so far. They want to look before they'll even agree to work on it. "Might take a day and a half" etc.

HAS ANYONE w/ an xdrive done this on there own and regretted it?? Lessons to impart?? Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 06:01 PM   #3
Rodizzle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saifybear View Post
My shop quoted $950 for HR super sport springs and spacers also alignment installation. Is this a reasonable price or is this too much? And does anyone recommend a shop in NorCal
Where in NorCal are you ?

I got quote for springs at 2 different location about 150 cheaper then that .

VT Motorworks and Performance dynamic
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 06:47 PM   #4
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Lou View Post
Then called a well- reputed import/performance alignment/suspension shop in the larger town next to me. They work on everything - but no xdrive m3/4's so far. They want to look before they'll even agree to work on it. "Might take a day and a half" etc.
"Oh you have a bmw? Might take a few days" .... avoid these guys.
Springs are an easy install, also don't do an alignment right after, wait a few weeks till they settle.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 08:03 PM   #5
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Springs are an easy install, also don't do an alignment right after, wait a few weeks till they settle.
Thnx FF
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 09:17 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Whats the hourly rate in your area?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 10:17 AM   #7
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I think Limegrntaln had his done at SVB with alignment for a good price.

My local dealership quoted me $2800-$3000 to install (I supply parts) a MPHAS on Xdrive, so compared to that, your getting a hell of a deal.

🙄
Probably going to just do it myself and get it aligned locally at a great shop for about $120
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13477.50
      06-08-2023, 04:30 PM   #8
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
I think Limegrntaln had his done at SVB with alignment for a good price.

My local dealership quoted me $2800-$3000 to install (I supply parts) a MPHAS on Xdrive, so compared to that, your getting a hell of a deal.

🙄
Probably going to just do it myself and get it aligned locally at a great shop for about $120
HAS kit was about $1,300 shipped from Germany. And install was another $1,230ish with alignment, from Performance Technic.

I think SVB is much cheaper. Like $850 with supplied springs, which also includes alignment. Im happy with my install, they took their time and did a really good job. More than I wanted to pay, and I knew SVB was cheaper. I just had more people referring me to PT.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 06:03 AM   #9
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for advice. I had a good talk w/ owner - I just don't think they've done an M3/4 xdrive.

I've collected most of parts, special tools, etc and guess I'll do it myself. Last springs I did (last year) were rear leafs on a 78 Z28 along w/ the front coil springs. ...lol.
Appreciate 1
forcefed2567.00
      06-09-2023, 06:42 AM   #10
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Thanks for advice. I had a good talk w/ owner - I just don't think they've done an M3/4 xdrive.

I've collected most of parts, special tools, etc and guess I'll do it myself. Last springs I did (last year) were rear leafs on a 78 Z28 along w/ the front coil springs. ...lol.
Plenty of videos on YouTube showing you how to do it, rear is a piece of cake and for the front you don't even need a spring compressor if you leave the shock in 👍
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 07:15 AM   #11
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Plenty of videos on YouTube showing you how to do it, rear is a piece of cake and for the front you don't even need a spring compressor if you leave the shock in 👍
FF - I think you are describing the non-xdrive cars. Those you can just compress the coil w/ a floor jack, loosen the strut mount and the top and lower taking the compression off the spring. Then just toe out the entire strut assembly (mounted at the bottom), then slide the coil off and replace - recompress and tighten the nut at the top of strut.

xdrive (from what I've seen) you have to either disconnect driveshaft and +/- remove strut. Or leave driveshaft connected and for sure remove strut/compress spring, etc.

If you know different - please tell me!! Thnx for help.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 10:10 AM   #12
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

This is a great video that shows the MP HAS but will be similar to what you need to do to just replace springs.
https://youtu.be/PZ94E-Gp0JY

Limegrntaln pointed me to this vid. Explains a lot. Pay close attention to around the 7 min mark as he explains how to do it without removing axle nut. Clever.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13477.50
      06-09-2023, 02:45 PM   #13
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is a great video that shows the MP HAS but will be similar to what you need to do to just replace springs.

Limegrntaln pointed me to this vid. Explains a lot. Pay close attention to around the 7 min mark as he explains how to do it without removing axle nut. Clever.
Another one w/o the axle nut coming out:

Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13477.50
      06-10-2023, 03:47 PM   #14
CMW33
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by saifybear View Post
I would ask them to unpack that by telling you the number of hours they estimate for the job and their hourly rate. It seems a bit high for non-height adjustable springs, even with an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 05:12 PM   #15
breezyrc15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4CX

Springs should be $500-$600

$1000 is just M tax
Appreciate 1
forcefed2567.00
      06-11-2023, 11:00 AM   #16
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Yeah - watched again. Really cool how he gets the front spring off. I wonder if you can just leave the lower control arm bolts tight and not loosen them??? Just brings into the issue of TTY bolts, he looks to re-use all of the bolts in this video.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13477.50
      06-11-2023, 11:15 AM   #17
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah - watched again. Really cool how he gets the front spring off. I wonder if you can just leave the lower control arm bolts tight and not loosen them??? Just brings into the issue of TTY bolts, he looks to re-use all of the bolts in this video.
Good question. When I do mine, going to try to leave the lower control arm bolts as is first.
I know a lot of people do not replace TTY bolts. To each their own.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 02:12 PM   #18
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The place I had my springs installed, ordered the TTY bolts the morning of the install, and went to the dealer to pick them up. They gave me the old ones in a little bag when I left. Maybe just to show what they replaced.

Appreciate 1
M4Lou415.50
      06-19-2023, 04:46 PM   #19
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

- agree w/ Bzs and Limegrn - best video..a few observations..:

So - just did it this weekend past. You do NOT need to loosen the front lower control arm bolts. Also - the front fender liner, is in two pieces. You only need to remove the front. Also, the xdrive axle keeps the lower control arms (on my car) from going too low that it hurt the headlight sensor. I left attached. But check yours.

A trolley jack helps. Once lowered, I pulled out boot and bump stop. To get spring out..slipped the top coil off the strut and then uncoiled the spring from around the strut. Spun it. My new coils are Eibachs and the top and bottom coils are tighter to next coil than stock springs. U gotta push it on backwards from bottom of coil. Then spin it and slip top coil over top of strut.

The strut hat is in two main pieces w/ a bearing/race in it. Snaps together. On one side mine popped open. Just had to snap back together.

Once coil is in w/ upper boot, stop and strut hat back in, jack up slow and guide the strut into hat and make sure coil goes even around the base of the strut hat. It can get off center. Strut bolt is 52ft/lb. The strut hat bolts are tty (good luck).

Once you do one side, second side is a breeze.

The backs kinda suck more (I have a runway lift - did these on lift, but fronts I did on ground). Tons of youtube videos' to watch. Getting the inside control arm bolts re-centered sucks and good luck w/ torque values. The shock bolt is smaller, hard to believe they both have same torque values.

I put on new xdrive Eibachs..super happy. I just didnt' want adjusting stuff on there. Just good springs.

Watch the linked video and others before you tackle. It is not hard.
Appreciate 3
BzsBimmer3277.50
Limegrntaln13477.50
Mapper184.00
      06-19-2023, 09:42 PM   #20
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
- agree w/ Bzs and Limegrn - best video..a few observations..:

So - just did it this weekend past. You do NOT need to loosen the front lower control arm bolts. Also - the front fender liner, is in two pieces. You only need to remove the front. Also, the xdrive axle keeps the lower control arms (on my car) from going too low that it hurt the headlight sensor. I left attached. But check yours.

A trolley jack helps. Once lowered, I pulled out boot and bump stop. To get spring out..slipped the top coil off the strut and then uncoiled the spring from around the strut. Spun it. My new coils are Eibachs and the top and bottom coils are tighter to next coil than stock springs. U gotta push it on backwards from bottom of coil. Then spin it and slip top coil over top of strut.

The strut hat is in two main pieces w/ a bearing/race in it. Snaps together. On one side mine popped open. Just had to snap back together.

Once coil is in w/ upper boot, stop and strut hat back in, jack up slow and guide the strut into hat and make sure coil goes even around the base of the strut hat. It can get off center. Strut bolt is 52ft/lb. The strut hat bolts are tty (good luck).

Once you do one side, second side is a breeze.

The backs kinda suck more (I have a runway lift - did these on lift, but fronts I did on ground). Tons of youtube videos' to watch. Getting the inside control arm bolts re-centered sucks and good luck w/ torque values. The shock bolt is smaller, hard to believe they both have same torque values.

I put on new xdrive Eibachs..super happy. I just didnt' [...]
Excellent play by play. Thank you!

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 05:31 PM   #21
seals9121
Rep
Drives: bmw

It's too cheap for this kind of job.
just alignment alone should be about 2 hours charge.
installation should be about 4 hours.
height adjustment with installation plus alignment , 900ish is way too low for a good job.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 12:54 AM   #22
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I see no one answered - My m4 comp x-drive needs all four springs. I've ordered Eibachs/20mm.

My trusted local shop = 1000$ without alignment. They are good guys - honest. Clearly have not done this on an M4. They are only guys who are willing to work on my Porsche 968.

HAS ANYONE w/ an xdrive done this on there own and regretted it?? Lessons to impart?? Thanks...
Yo so just an FYI. I talked to Eibach today and apparently they don’t have any springs that are designated for the xDrive yet. They just posted a couple days ago that they’ll be in production soon. The springs they have currently are designated for the RWD.
Appreciate 0