home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

01-31-2023, 08:57 AM   #1
Myselfg81
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 30cs e9, g81 ordered

g80 xdrive lowering springs Eibach vs H&R vs KW

Patiently hoarding tuning parts for the coming G81...

there are 2 options for HAS springs (KW and H&R) but to be honest I like the OEM+ look achieved on x drive G80 with only front Eibachs...

In terms of performance and comfort...are there any downsides compared to a has kit...
To be honest I dont think that I will adjust the height once I get the desired look.

Spacers will be 10 mm all around

in terms of driving dynamics everybody that has the eibachs did,t really notice any difrenece compared to stock or am I wrong?

Last edited by Myselfg81; 01-31-2023 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 10:42 AM   #2
Chad11491
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 IOMG M3 6MT

My car has the Eibach front only setup with 10mm spacers all around. I don't notice any change in the ride or handling over the past few hundred miles and weeks of having these on. I'd like to do 12mm up front to flush the front wheels a little more, but I'd rather not deal with clipping any fins or the rubbing.

Appreciate 1
      01-31-2023, 11:03 AM   #3
AWDSOME
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C Xdrive

Subscribed. I'm thinking about doing just the front Eibach springs as well on my G80 x drive
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2023, 11:46 AM   #4
Myselfg81
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 30cs e9, g81 ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad11491 View Post
My car has the Eibach front only setup with 10mm spacers all around. I don't notice any change in the ride or handling over the past few hundred miles and weeks of having these on. I'd like to do 12mm up front to flush the front wheels a little more, but I'd rather not deal with clipping any fins or the rubbing.

beautiful ride!!!

thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 03:39 AM   #5
TTune
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G81 M3 Comp., Audi RSQ3

Changing only front springs will destroy axle load balance and you will for sure suffer the ride performance, for sure at higher speeds. For city driving and showing off in front of the clubs it's ok. But BMW puts enormous efforts to develop close to 50:50 balance and that's one of the main reasons why bimmers drive so good. There is also Height adjustable springs are perfect addons as you can adjust precisely corner balancing as with regular coilovers and make your car drive even better then from factory and at the same time also improve the looks. But if you are just into cheap looks then I guess it's a way to do it with front springs. In US rarely you drive 250+ km/h in Europe for now it's still possible and high speed driving can scare shit out of you e.g. in case of emergency braking and there can be huge difference with good and safe suspension or diy engineering. Believe me been there done that, never again.

I don't know for row but in Netherlands changing just front springs is illegal and in case of accident your insurance company will turn on your back as I doubt there is a company offering just front springs with TÃœV in Germany, Austria where the police is quite educatued already on all mods they will take your license plates off in a second when they will notice you don't have homologated springs. I lived in Rosenheim for 5 years, it's a nightmare for mod scene. Netherlands is still a bit more open to this issues but it's getting more and more strict.

As for spacers I have on mine "perfect flush" setup (wheels and tires are stock, ok now is on ugly winter ones) with 13 / 12 mm. I tried 15/13 but was just on the edge, car came with Michelin tires Pirellis are a bit narrow and maybe would suite it but I went a bit more conservative.

Enjoy your rides,
G.
Turbo1204350.00
      02-11-2023, 07:46 AM   #6
Chad11491
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 IOMG M3 6MT

The Eibach springs are not just fronts of a set thrown on. They’re specifically designed to work with the stock rears. They drive just fine at high speeds. The front only set is also TUV approved. It’s silly to think Eibach would just throw a set of front springs out without considering the rears.
Appreciate 4
AWDSOME629.50
viciousmo310.50
Tobster3635.50
      02-11-2023, 12:43 PM   #7
HughesM3
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTune View Post
Changing only front springs will destroy axle load balance and you will for sure suffer the ride performance, for sure at higher speeds. For city driving and showing off in front of the clubs it's ok. But BMW puts enormous efforts to develop close to 50:50 balance and that's one of the main reasons why bimmers drive so good. There is also Height adjustable springs are perfect addons as you can adjust precisely corner balancing as with regular coilovers and make your car drive even better then from factory and at the same time also improve the looks. But if you are just into cheap looks then I guess it's a way to do it with front springs. In US rarely you drive 250+ km/h in Europe for now it's still possible and high speed driving can scare shit out of you e.g. in case of emergency braking and there can be huge difference with good and safe suspension or diy engineering. Believe me been there done that, never again.

I don't know for row but in Netherlands changing just front springs is illegal and in case of accident your insurance company will turn on your back as I doubt there is a company offering just front springs with TÃœV in Germany, Austria where the police is quite educatued already on all mods they will take your license plates off in a second when they will notice you don't have homologated springs. I lived in Rosenheim for 5 years, it's a nightmare for mod scene. Netherlands is still a bit more open to this issues but it's getting more and more strict.

As for spacers I have on mine "perfect flush" setup (wheels and tires are stock, ok now is on ugly [...]
So wouldn't it be the same if you put H&R Sport Springs on since the drop is 30mm front and 10mm rear? You still have a 20mm difference just like you would with the Eibach front only Springs that are a 20mm drop?
Appreciate 2
AWDSOME629.50
      02-11-2023, 12:58 PM   #8
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Good debate. I’m torn between eibach front only for $650 or so installed vs $2800 for MP HAS installed. Just looking for aesthetic improvement of front gap… and as close to stock / unnoticeable ride difference as possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 06:01 PM   #9
RM73
How Low Can You Go
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, M1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughesM3 View Post
So wouldn't it be the same if you put H&R Sport Springs on since the drop is 30mm front and 10mm rear? You still have a 20mm difference just like you would with the Eibach front only Springs that are a 20mm drop?
The H&R Sports are 30F/30R for the rwd version. For the XDrive its 30F/25R.

If you're pushing the car on track or mountain roads you'll feel the balance change if you only drop the front. Even if you're just need an emergency brake you'll more susceptible to liftoff/brake oversteer if you aren't braking in a perfect straight line.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 06:23 PM   #10
HughesM3
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM73 View Post
The H&R Sports are 30F/30R for the rwd version. For the XDrive its 30F/25R.

If you're pushing the car on track or mountain roads you'll feel the balance change if you only drop the front. Even if you're just need an emergency brake you'll more susceptible to liftoff/brake oversteer if you aren't braking in a perfect straight line.
For the G80 the H&R sports are 30F/10R.
Appreciate 3
RM73343.50
Mapper184.00
      02-11-2023, 11:56 PM   #11
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
The MP HAS dont fit?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 04:05 AM   #12
RM73
How Low Can You Go
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, M1000RR

Quote:
For the G80 the H&R sports are 30F/10R.
You're right, I was checking G82, thought they were the same. Good catch!
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2024, 05:35 AM   #13
kris81BB
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G81

so it is risky to lower the front more than the back?

H&R lowering springs for G81 xdrive are 30F/5R (link https://www.h-r-shop.com/h-r-lowerin...-p-615951.html) so 25mm difference vs the Eibach 20 front only. I am considering either of these 2, but I am troubled by some of the comments on this and other forums. can someone explain if there could be really a negative impact of lowered front? I've read about the potential imbalance issues and also negative impact on x-drive. is either true? I would assume that H&R or Eibach would do a proper testing before marketing a risky product, or am I naive? I might track the car once or twice so the lowering will be mainly to get rid of that ugly front wheel gap
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 10:38 AM   #14
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
The change in ride height is only one of the variables changed when installing lowering springs/HAS kits. Relative front and rear spring rates are important as is the change (increase) in primarily rear camber (minimal change in front strut camber with height change). Also, the relative change in front-rear rake has an effect on car balance. Increasing forward rake (lowering front more than the rear) changes handling balance toward oversteer. Biggest issue with lowering springs and HAS kits is the front strut compression travel is already limited to begin with and lowering the front typically results in the car riding on the front bump stops which worsens ride quality and handling. Riding the bump stops results in a rapid increase in effective front spring rate. So lowering just the front ride height has more of an effect on the suspension than just a change in ride height. G8x, and F8x, with lowering springs/HAS kits has a greater chance of decreasing, not improving, suspension performance. Aftermarket coilovers with/without EDC is the correct way to lower the car and improve suspension performance.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 06:48 PM   #15
gmiller.s58
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Competiton xDrive

Lowering my G80 xDrive on 20" wheels. Any recommendations ?

Good evening gents.
Looking to lower my G80 xDrive as low as possible with springs only (non height adjustable).
I also have a 20x9.5" +8 wheel for my front setup, and a 20x10.5 +10 for my rear setup.
Any recommendations on what I can lower with to go as low as possible? Ride quality is not a concern of mine.
Only concern is not rubbing with my aftermarket wheels.
Any replies or help would be fantastic !
Appreciate 0