BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

06-21-2021, 06:38 PM   #749
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcity View Post
Why not keep it on the wireless charger to have it charged while also wirelessly connected? Altho the phone does tend to get really hot whole on the wireless charger.
The car's wireless charger is pretty much worthless. So I got this one that sits in the cup holder. I lose access to one of the cup slots, but it does keep the phone accessible if I need it and I just aim one of the vents down at it so it keeps it cool while charging.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 06:49 PM   #750
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I share your sentiment. I'm not a fan of CarPlay.
You can use Waze or GMaps too...

Current: 2022 M3 CompX, 2024 M2 6-Spd
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 06:51 PM   #751
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Quote:
Why not keep it on the wireless charger to have it charged while also wirelessly connected? Altho the phone does tend to get really hot whole on the wireless charger.
The car's wireless charger is pretty much worthless. So I got this one that sits in the cup holder. I lose access to one of the cup slots, but it does keep the phone accessible if I need it and I just aim one of the vents down at it so it keeps it cool while charging.
I found the wireless charger in the F8X useful when I chose to use it. Is the one in the G8X worse than that? My 992 Carrera doesn't even have wireless charging nor HUD. Porsche should be ashamed of themselves in 2021.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 07:18 PM   #752
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
. . . My 992 Carrera doesn't even have wireless charging nor HUD. Porsche should be ashamed of themselves in 2021.
Sedan_Clan

Hard core Porsche enthusiasts already bitch and moan the 911 has become too refined . . . but once you get rid of analog gauges; get rid of the MT and offer a non-functional shifter with PDK; etc . . . they might as well go all in and at least offer HUD . . . the 718 seems to be more and more devoted to the 'raw' enthusiast.

This 'raw' versus 'refined' perspective was made very apparent to me when moving from the F87C to the M80C. Honestly, not sure which I prefer at this point, as each 'element' offers something that I find enjoyable. With specific regard to HUD, I am really digging having the tachometer and shift point monitor in my field of gaze.

///AVM
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25107.50
PLF693766.00
      06-21-2021, 07:33 PM   #753
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Quote:
. . . My 992 Carrera doesn't even have wireless charging nor HUD. Porsche should be ashamed of themselves in 2021.
Sedan_Clan

Hard core Porsche enthusiasts already bitch and moan the 911 has become too refined . . . but once you get rid of analog gauges; get rid of the MT and offer a non-functional shifter with PDK; etc . . . they might as well go all in and at least offer HUD . . . the 718 seems to be more and more devoted to the 'raw' enthusiast.

This 'raw' versus 'refined' perspective was made very apparent to me when moving from the F87C to the M80C. Honestly, not sure which I prefer at this point, as each 'element' offers something that I find enjoyable. With specific regard to HUD, I am really digging having the tachometer and shift point monitor in my field of gaze.

///AVM
You're right. The self-proclaimed hard core enthusiast from any camp resists change. Then there are buyers like me who like refinement AND performance. The 992 is the perfect Porsche for me. HUD would be the cherry on top. I like the 718 as a product offering, but I don't find it as attractive as a 911. I jockeyed back & forth between getting a GT4 and Carrera S, and the Carrera won.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      06-21-2021, 07:34 PM   #754
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
I found the wireless charger in the F8X useful when I chose to use it. Is the one in the G8X worse than that? My 992 Carrera doesn't even have wireless charging nor HUD. Porsche should be ashamed of themselves in 2021.
I never used the one in my F82 (did I even have one in it?). There are lots of reports here from people with their G8x that the phone sits in the charger, overheats and stops charging. I drove 6h back from my PCD, starting the day at 94% and finished it at 66% with the phone being in the charger for almost all of that time. Worthless.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25107.50
      06-21-2021, 07:35 PM   #755
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I never used the one in my F82 (did I even have one in it?). There are lots of reports here from people with their G8x that the phone sits in the charger, overheats and stops charging. I drove 6h back from my PCD, starting the day at 94% and finished it at 66% with the phone being in the charger for almost all of that time. Worthless.
The one in the F82 was in the center console. It charged fairly quickly in my car. I had no issues with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 08:09 PM   #756
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

Quote:
You're right. The self-proclaimed hard core enthusiast from any camp resists change. Then there are buyers like me who like refinement AND performance. The 992 is the perfect Porsche for me. HUD would be the cherry on top. I like the 718 as a product offering, but I don't find it as attractive as a 911. I jockeyed back & forth between getting a GT4 and Carrera S, and the Carrera won.
The Cayenne can be optioned with a HUD so they obviously know how to make them. I agree with you. I am working on a deal to trade in my GT3 for a Turbo S PTS slot, it will be my last " expensive" car so I tell my wife. I am hoping since the build will be an early 23 model that a HUD will be available. I am getting Berm, that is for sure!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25107.50
      06-21-2021, 08:10 PM   #757
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My wireless charger works flawlessly. Perhaps yours has an issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 08:12 PM   #758
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
Quote:
The Cayenne can be optioned with a HUD so they obviously know how to make them. I agree with you. I am working on a deal to trade in my GT3 for a Turbo S PTS slot, it will be my last " expensive" car so I tell my wife. I am hoping since the build will be an early 23 model that a HUD will be available. I am getting Berm, that is for sure!
Congrats! What's making you go from GT3 to Turbo S? My Carrera will be my last car, so I'm going all out on it (…kinda). It's set for a Dec delivery.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 08:16 PM   #759
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sedan_Clan

You made a great choice. You will love your 911. I would say the same thing if you went with the 718. Porsche knows how to build sport cars.

At any rate, regarding the raw versus refined topic, I am finding it to be something that comes with its gives and takes. I am still getting used to the fact that the G80C is a great performer, yet more refined than I am accustomed. The refinement can mask performance perception and overall engagement.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25107.50
      06-21-2021, 08:38 PM   #760
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Congrats! What's making you go from GT3 to Turbo S? My Carrera will be my last car, so I'm going all out on it (…kinda). It's set for a Dec delivery.
The drama and expense of track day, plain and simple.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25107.50
      06-21-2021, 08:45 PM   #761
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACremona22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
I don't care for CarPlay. Apple Maps isn't any better than the built-in navigation. Also, using the controller through the iDrive menu is more intuitive and easier see with use of contrasting colors compared to the CarPlay equivalent (Spotify specifically).

For short drives (20-30 minutes), streaming music takes quite a bit of power from the phone than using the car's built in application. I get you can connect your phone with a cable to USB to avoid the issue, but I don't really keep a cable in the car anyway since they always break quickly and that's a waste.

Road trip? Using the car's built in hotspot is a no-brainer.
I do plugin, which is why I probably don't have the battery drain concern. If I didn't it would be a big issue.

I use Google Maps through CarPlay (Would never use Apple Maps).
If you're not using anything then wireless charging works ok (like, a trickle charge at best). If you're using maps or something while you have wireless charging on, phone will disconnect very very quickly. It is beyond useless.

On a 3 hour drive not using anything I got maybe a 10% charge on wireless. Using maps for r something it's no charge and just overheats the phone.

That said, apparently android phones work ok with it
Appreciate 2
acre22f90529.00
snareman9051.50
      06-21-2021, 08:53 PM   #762
wooblewobble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
If you're not using anything then wireless charging works ok (like, a trickle charge at best). If you're using maps or something while you have wireless charging on, phone will disconnect very very quickly. It is beyond useless.

On a 3 hour drive not using anything I got maybe a 10% charge on wireless. Using maps for r something it's no charge and just overheats the phone.

I've tried both Android and Apple devices, and sadly, wireless charging is useless with both.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 08:54 PM   #763
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post

I have a iPhone 12P Max, I use CP , Amazon Music etc and it charges quickly and has yet to drop off. For once, I'm a winner in the BMW sweepstakes!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 08:55 PM   #764
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The drama and expense of track day, plain and simple.
MarineRaider

Could you expand on that statement . . . the GT3 and 911 Turbo S are both outside my means, so I am not in position to form my own views on the topic.

As an outsider looking in, I was under the impression that the GT3 was the ultimate Porsche tracker? Yes, I know the Turbo S is quicker and maybe even faster, but my impression is that nothing handles like a GT3 . . . and offers more in terms of HOW you get around a track versus HOW FAST? Maybe the GT3 offers more in both regards?

Anyway, just curious to learn your perspective on why the Turbo S is more appealing than the GT3 with regard to track application?

///AVM
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25107.50
      06-21-2021, 09:03 PM   #765
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AWD View Post
Questions for those who are using Remote Engine Start:

- how useful is this?
- It turns ON the A/C or Heat based on last setting, right?
- What about turning ON heated or ventilated seats based on last setting?
- After remote start do you just approach the car with the key in your pocket and open, jump in & drive off? Or is there something else needed?
- After remote start can you approach the car and open the trunk as usual?

This is one of the features I'm looking forward to specially with kids and groceries etc. in different weather conditions...
I love it.

You press the key three times and hey presto, she starts up.

When you get in the car the A/C is going as it was before. I don't have ventilation in the seats but would assume this works too since the car remembers all my settings like auto hold for example, no need to press each time.

I can remote open the trunk too from a distance with the car running.

When you get in, put the foot on the break and just touch the start stop (no start stop actually happens except it confirms you are good to go)
Appreciate 1
M3AWD3181.50
      06-21-2021, 09:07 PM   #766
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
MarineRaider

Could you expand on that statement . . . the GT3 and 911 Turbo S are both outside my means, so I am not in position to form my own views on the topic.

As an outsider looking in, I was under the impression that the GT3 was the ultimate Porsche tracker? Yes, I know the Turbo S is quicker and maybe even faster, but my impression is that nothing handles like a GT3 . . . and offers more in terms of HOW you get around a track versus HOW FAST? Maybe the GT3 offers more in both regards?

Anyway, just curious to learn your perspective on why the Turbo S is more appealing than the GT3 with regard to track application?

///AVM
The GT3 is the ultimate Porsche track car, I had a GT4 and a 987 Spyder and would argue they could hold their own as raw speed isn't everything once you've reached a certain proficiency .

I'm not a Autocross guy. Speeding through cones can be done with a base Cayman or Boxster really well. I like wheel to wheel racing and time attack at certain tracks. So let's talk track day insurance...it used to be about 600 bucks for the weekend. That had increased six fold and the deductible is 10,000 dollars. I had a 951 blow his engine in front of me and spray oil across the 3rd turn at Willow and by the grace of God I was able to control my ensuing spin and not hit the barrier. Track day insurance is a must.

Then with Porsches I tend to eat tires every other weekend event ( track tires) and you need to do a brake flush, oil change. The real fun for me is when I had a issue with a control arm and Porsche denied warranty as they said it was caused by the track day use.

I about lost my mind. So you sell me a car from your Motorsport Division and with a faulty control arm and now want to deny coverage? Let's just say they folded like a tent about 2 calls in with my lawyer and took care of it.

Then there is transporting the car, I used to drive to the events in the car...if you have ever driven a track prepped GT3 it gets old quick after 50 miles even on the OEM tires.

Then there is me walking out from eating with my wife at Fashion Island and two teenagers ( girls) are doing a selfie with their handbags on my wing! Yeah, I wish I could say that was a lone occurrence .

No, I want to stay in the 911 family but out of the Motorsport versions. I have tracked enough to be a PCA instructor, scared the shit out of myself and others etc etc. I think after a career in the Marines, 9 combat deployments etc etc I am embracing civilian life full on now and will enjoy a fast smoother car. Hope that helped.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 09:13 PM   #767
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The GT3 is the ultimate Porsche track car, I had a GT4 and a 987 Spyder and would argue they could hold their own as raw speed isn't everything once you've reached a certain proficiency .

I'm not a Autocross guy. Speeding through cones can be done with a base Cayman or Boxster really well. I like wheel to wheel racing and time attack at certain tracks. So let's talk track day insurance...it used to be about 600 bucks for the weekend. That had increased six fold and the deductible is 10,000 dollars. I had a 951 blow his engine in front of me and spray oil across the 3rd turn at Willow and by the grace of God I was able to control my ensuing spin and not hit the barrier. Track day insurance is a must.

Then with Porsches I tend to eat tires every other weekend event ( track tires) and you need to do a brake flush, oil change. The real fun for me is when I had a issue with a control arm and Porsche denied warranty as they said it was caused by the track day use.

I about lost my mind. So you sell me a car from your Motorsport Division and with a faulty control arm and now want to deny coverage? Let's just say they folded like a tent about 2 calls in with my lawyer and took care of it.

Then there is transporting the car, I used to drive to the events in the car...if you have ever driven a track prepped GT3 it gets old quick after 50 miles even on the OEM tires.

Then there is me walking out from eating with my wife at Fashion Island and two teenagers ( girls) are doing a selfie with their handbags on my wing! Yeah, I wish I could say that was a lone occurrence .

No, I want to stay in the 911 family but out of the Motorsport versions. I have tracked enough to be a PCA instructor, scared the shit out of myself and others etc etc. I think after a career in the Marines, 9 combat deployments etc etc I am embracing civilian life full on now and will enjoy a fast smoother car. Hope that helped.
MarineRaider

That was a GREAT read! Akin to the 'dirty truth' behind the price to be a dedicated tracker.

I guess my remaining question is . . . why would the associated costs be lest for a Turbo S than GT3?

Or, are you saying your track days are over and want the Turbo S because you feel it is a better sport car for your roadway needs and interests?

///AVM
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25107.50
      06-21-2021, 09:19 PM   #768
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
MarineRaider

That was a GREAT read! Akin to the 'dirty truth' behind the price to be a dedicated tracker.

I guess my remaining question is . . . why would the associated costs be lest for a Turbo S than GT3?

Or, are you saying your track days are over and want the Turbo S because you feel it is a better sport car for your roadway needs and interests?

///AVM
The Turbo S will not be tracked. I may drive it in anger a couple of times with my best buddy who also happens to be a CHP officer ( as long as he gets to drive it too he says) But I will be joining that illustrious and dominant Porsche group that takes their cars out on Sundays for a drive down PCH, lunch and waving at fellow Porsche owners...then tucking it away after being wiped clean of all evidence of it being driven ( I jest!..a little)

That is another problem I have now with GT cars, most NEVER see a track, they are hoarded away like the Hope Diamond and then sold with 112 miles on them...the owner taking it to C&C and boasting of how great a track car it is and nary a moment on a track.

Miata owners...those guys are track guys and gals.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25107.50
///AVM2529.50
      06-21-2021, 09:43 PM   #769
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
That had increased six fold and the deductible is 10,000 dollars.
Just a slight exaggeration. A 200k car with Time Trial coverage is around 1500 or 1200 without TT coverage.

Days of being subsidized by those of us buying track insurance and driving at 7/10th or less are over. RLI, Haggerty, OpenTrack must be billionaires by now. The trick is having a cheaper track car (like an E9X M3) helps decrease the cost 15% of that and you don't have to resort to a Miata.
      06-21-2021, 09:58 PM   #770
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
MarineRaider

///AVM
The Turbo S will not be tracked. I may drive it in anger a couple of times with my best buddy who also happens to be a CHP officer ( as long as he gets to drive it too he says) But I will be joining that illustrious and dominant Porsche group that takes their cars out on Sundays for a drive down PCH, lunch and waving at fellow Porsche owners...then tucking it away after being wiped clean of all evidence of it being driven ( I jest!..a little)

That is another problem I have now with GT cars, most NEVER see a track, they are hoarded away like the Hope Diamond and then sold with 112 miles on them...the owner taking it to C&C and boasting of how great a track car it is and nary a moment on a track.

Miata owners...those guys are track guys and gals.
What is his name? I wonder if I know him. I used to be a CHP officer before I changed departments; I'm now a Deputy.
Appreciate 0