BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-22-2021, 09:21 PM   #485
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

So for those who sat in or tried both base and comp, I was wondering If the center console buttons near the shifter still feel like haptic screen or they feel like normal buttons since they don't have that layer of gloss on them ?

The more I dig, the more I find différences between manual and auto, almost wondering if suspension calibration could have a difference..
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 10:16 PM   #486
BRIGM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
Unfortunately not
This is mind boggling. Even on BMW’s Apple Car Key webpage, it only lists “ The Comfort Access option (SA 322), active Connected Drive Services on your BMW, a compatible iPhone and an established link between your BMW vehicle and your BMW ID (via the latest version of the My BMW App)” as requirements for the BMW Digital Key. Digital Key is even listed on the M3 page under the Technology section, with no asterisk mentioning Automatic transmission/Comp package only.

https://www.bmw.com/en/innovation/bm...w-car-key.html

This was one of the tech features I was most excited about, and I’m totally bummed it won’t be on my 6MT I pick up Monday.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 10:45 PM   #487
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
So for those who sat in or tried both base and comp, I was wondering If the center console buttons near the shifter still feel like haptic screen or they feel like normal buttons since they don't have that layer of gloss on them ?

The more I dig, the more I find différences between manual and auto, almost wondering if suspension calibration could have a difference..
Although I don't have my car yet, I (theoretically) hate the idea of the haptic feedback glossy buttons. It just seems like a bad idea. Give us real buttons that won't get all fingerprinted up. What do you all that already have the car thing of them?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 10:50 PM   #488
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIGM3 View Post
Quote:
Unfortunately not
This is mind boggling. Even on BMW’s Apple Car Key webpage, it only lists “ The Comfort Access option (SA 322), active Connected Drive Services on your BMW, a compatible iPhone and an established link between your BMW vehicle and your BMW ID (via the latest version of the My BMW App)” as requirements for the BMW Digital Key. Digital Key is even listed on the M3 page under the Technology section, with no asterisk mentioning Automatic transmission/Comp package only.

https://www.bmw.com/en/innovation/bmw-digital-key-iphone-as-secure-bmw-car-key.html

This was one of the tech features I was most excited about, and I’m totally bummed it won’t be on my 6MT I pick up Monday.
Yeah I'm bummed about it. It was really hard to get a clear answer and then someone pointed out it was buried on page 92 of the manual.

Definitely a few things like this, wireless charge location, no leather on knee pad for 6MT etc. that show the 6MT was definitely a bit of an afterthought, they put very little effort into it compared to the comp. That said, it is still totally worth it to me to be able to get a 500hp 4 door daily driver sedan with a stick - it's not like there are many other options! Beggars can't be choosers and all that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 10:50 PM   #489
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Quote:

Although I don't have my car yet, I (theoretically) hate the idea of the haptic feedback glossy buttons. It just seems like a bad idea. Give us real buttons that won't get all fingerprinted up. What do you all that already have the car thing of them?
They don't grind my gears whatsoever.

They work like buttons should.

I think it'll be a non issue for you when you get behind the wheel.
Appreciate 1
snareman9051.50
      04-23-2021, 01:30 AM   #490
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
Traditionally yes - this is how M cars work.
The idea is that you're supposed to be always in the lowest gear possible, chasing high rpms (and the power they bring).

It makes it more interesting, instead of just mashing the go pedal.
copy, thanks !

was just wondering. Of course I don't need infinite power when cruising from work home, but still I wondered.

Like said, from about 3k rpm this car just doesn't stop pulling, it's insane! but even in the second gear i'm way to fast by then
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 01:32 AM   #491
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Quote:

As I have the MT the buttons still feel somehow as buttons.
Not like in F series but still I feel a "click".

But the center console inside the carbon trim is plastic and not this gloss black stuff as in the comp. I prefer a lot more the center console of the MT, the gloss black get's dirty in 15 seconds and you see every single scratch on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 06:40 AM   #492
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

The matte plastic center console on the 6MT doesn't look as high-end as the gloss black on the 8AT does initially. But, after 46 days of ownership it still looks the same as it did on day one since it doesn't fingerprint like the gloss black does. So it's a plus and a minus.
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00
      04-23-2021, 07:24 AM   #493
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

I did not find any mention of lunch control on the 6 speed but I just saw a video of the Straight Pipes where they seem to use it ??

Is there a lunch control on the Manual ?

EDIT: I actually wachted the hole video and lunch control seems to be well implemented in the Manual and they said there is no cool down contrary to the 8zf
Appreciate 1
Bahamut709.50
      04-23-2021, 07:36 AM   #494
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
The matte plastic center console on the 6MT doesn't look as high-end as the gloss black on the 8AT does initially. But, after 46 days of ownership it still looks the same as it did on day one since it doesn't fingerprint like the gloss black does. So it's a plus and a minus.
Can you grab a snap of that plastic piece you're referring to? I'm curious about how it looks.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 08:34 AM   #495
exmowner
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3X / 14 GTR

Quote:
I did not find any mention of lunch control on the 6 speed but I just saw a video of the Straight Pipes where they seem to use it ??

EDIT: I actually wachted the hole video and lunch control seems to be well implemented in the Manual and they said there is no cool down contrary to the 8zf
I have the manual, do you mean when you clutch in and rev it will display launch control? I can't try as I'm in break in.
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 09:07 AM   #496
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
The "New Vehicle Limited Warranty" and the "Maintenance" booklet with the schedule that came with my car are for the "2021 BMW M2, M5"

Was BMW too lazy to print new booklets or was Hans drunk when those booklets were placed in my car?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 09:35 AM   #497
aford
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

I haven't been able to figure it out so perhaps those of you with G80s out there can set me straight:

Does it have welcome mat or door projector lighting?

My F98 has the welcome mat lighting which looks great.

Thanks!

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Executive Committee Member for Light The Night. You can help. Donate here.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 09:53 AM   #498
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Can you grab a snap of that plastic piece you're referring to? I'm curious about how it looks.
Just the trim around the shifter, iDrive, and the fun buttons...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #499
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Quote:
Just the trim around the shifter, iDrive, and the fun buttons...
Ah gotcha ok. Probably see if I can get a carbon fiber replacement trim piece for that somewhere down the line.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 06:37 PM   #500
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:

6MT here and I was curious about that as well. I'm still under break-in, so haven't really had the chance to launch the car. Will definitely list my findings if no one hasn't really gotten to it yet
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 07:47 PM   #501
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
Quote:

6MT here and I was curious about that as well. I'm still under break-in, so haven't really had the chance to launch the car. Will definitely list my findings if no one hasn't really gotten to it yet
I call bullshit on launch control, that's the first I've heard about that appearing on the 6MT. I should be getting my break-in service in a week or so so can check it out, but the manual is silent on it as well, it's all written from the 8AT perspective
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 08:01 PM   #502
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I call bullshit on launch control, that's the first I've heard about that appearing on the 6MT. I should be getting my break-in service in a week or so so can check it out, but the manual is silent on it as well, it's all written from the 8AT perspective
The newest straight pipes video shows a video of a manual with launch control - even shows the launch control indicator in the dash.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 08:46 PM   #503
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Guys just watch the damn video come on..

Appreciate 1
Bahamut709.50
      04-23-2021, 09:42 PM   #504
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The newest straight pipes video shows a video of a manual with launch control - even shows the launch control indicator in the dash.
We also saw a video of someone kicking their leg under the trunk and saying that it had that wave-your-leg-to-open feature, which was BS. That screen grab could just as easily have been from when they were testing the comp
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 10:00 PM   #505
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

We also saw a video of someone kicking their leg under the trunk and saying that it had that wave-your-leg-to-open feature, which was BS. That screen grab could just as easily have been from when they were testing the comp
You know, that's fair.

I don't fully trust those guys so you're right that it could be faked...although I feel pretty confident that if it didn't have launch control they'd be bitching about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 10:11 PM   #506
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
i was wondering the same but i think it's not, in the screen grab the car is hitting redline in 2nd at 111 km/h and the comp is well into 3rd by that speed.
Appreciate 0