BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-01-2024, 04:05 PM   #1
DLav8r
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997.1

M3 Break in Service

Im looking at a used m3 at a local bmw dealer with around 14xxx miles. All services are up to date and fresh fluids just changed etc. I did notice however that the car I looked at had the 1200 mile break in service completed at nearly 2,500 miles. Cause for concern? I know there are a lot of variables etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 04:25 PM   #2
Krisp97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M3Cx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLav8r View Post
Im looking at a used m3 at a local bmw dealer with around 14xxx miles. All services are up to date and fresh fluids just changed etc. I did notice however that the car I looked at had the 1200 mile break in service completed at nearly 2,500 miles. Cause for concern? I know there are a lot of variables etc.
Is it Certified Pre-Owned? Personally, it would bother me knowing it was done way late. But if it's certified, I would worry a bit less.
2017 Ford Focus ST, Oxford White (traded in)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 07:36 PM   #3
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

If the warranty is intact, I wouldn't have any issues at all with that car. I've heard stories of BMW denying/declining to offer extended warranty coverage on cars that had their break-in done late so if you plan on keeping the car for longer than the factory warranty, you may want to inquire about that up front. But if you're ever planning on modding anything more than cosmetics on the car, you wouldn't get an extended warranty anyway.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about it.
      04-01-2024, 08:34 PM   #4
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
As explained, just make sure you get something in writing from BMW (not the dealer) that the warranty is in-tact and you won't have any issues.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3412.50
      04-01-2024, 10:47 PM   #5
DLav8r
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
If the warranty is intact, I wouldn't have any issues at all with that car. I've heard stories of BMW denying/declining to offer extended warranty coverage on cars that had their break-in done late so if you plan on keeping the car for longer than the factory warranty, you may want to inquire about that up front. But if you're ever planning on modding anything more than cosmetics on the car, you wouldn't get an extended warranty anyway.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about it.

It has about 1.5 years of original warranty left. It’s unmodified and I would plan to keep it stock. I guess I’m more concerned with this break in being late is there is a risk of damage down the road? All other recommended maintenance was done on time. Oil changes at 5k intervals at dealer. Nothing outside of routine maintenance has been done. I’m realistically keeping the car about 3-5 years.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 10:50 PM   #6
DLav8r
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisp97 View Post
Is it Certified Pre-Owned? Personally, it would bother me knowing it was done way late. But if it's certified, I would worry a bit less.
No, it’s a 22 not certified. Sitting at 14xxx miles.
Appreciate 1
Krisp97302.50
      04-02-2024, 08:13 AM   #7
vbb
Captain
Rep

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I have trouble believing that the S58 will suffer catastrophic engine failure if the break in service was performed at say 3000 miles as opposed to 1500. Those of us on this forum may be contentious, but how many tens of thousands of new owners won't be? BMW would not have mass produced an engine that sensitive to a few thousand miles.

The real worry is that manufacturers and 3rd party providers will try to find any reason they can to deny warranty coverage, and a failure to perform break in service in the first 1500 miles is just one more arrow for their quiver. You could have an issue completely unrelated to the engine oil and they could point to the late service as a reason to deny, so that's what you're trying to avoid. Some companies will deny coverage if you perform your own oil changes (something I like to do because I know I'm taking the care to do it right rather than trusting some inexperienced tech with 10 other things on his schedule and who is watching the clock to see when he can go home). I KNOW I've done what's best for my car, but the warranty company will use that against me if it suits their denial.

So again, I wouldn't sweat the late break-in service if everything else checks out, but if you're trying to get an extended warranty one day, you might consider another option.
      04-02-2024, 08:33 AM   #8
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I have trouble believing that the S58 will suffer catastrophic engine failure if the break in service was performed at say 3000 miles as opposed to 1500. Those of us on this forum may be contentious, but how many tens of thousands of new owners won't be? BMW would not have mass produced an engine that sensitive to a few thousand miles.

The real worry is that manufacturers and 3rd party providers will try to find any reason they can to deny warranty coverage, and a failure to perform break in service in the first 1500 miles is just one more arrow for their quiver. You could have an issue completely unrelated to the engine oil and they could point to the late service as a reason to deny, so that's what you're trying to avoid. Some companies will deny coverage if you perform your own oil changes (something I like to do because I know I'm taking the care to do it right rather than trusting some inexperienced tech with 10 other things on his schedule and who is watching the clock to see when he can go home). I KNOW I've done what's best for my car, but the warranty company will use that against me if it suits their denial.

So again, I wouldn't sweat the late break-in service if everything else checks out, but if you're trying to get an extended warranty one day, you might consider another option.
The engine will be fine (most likely), although, missing the key step is an indicator how the vehicle may have been treated over those 14k miles.

The main point is that BMW may not honor the remainder of the warranty if the 1200 mile service was not performed at 1200 +/- reasonable window. 2500 miles seems a bit excessive
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 08:52 AM   #9
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

You can look at this both ways:

1) Why would BMW trust the average person to properly baby their car for over 1000 miles and not do it themselves if it were so important

2) If it weren't important, why a) are the instructions in the manual detailing what not to do b) is different/thinner oil run in the car prior to the break-in service being performed and c) are engine warranties supposedly not being honored if you wait too long to perform the service?

I'm personally in camp 2, as I think everyone who buys this car should be. It costs you nothing to follow the procedure, just some fun for a bit which you can speed through break-in period if you really want. As well, this isn't just a BMW thing, though less detailed, the Corvette has a 500 mile break-in period; Mustangs do as well, and Porsche is also well-known for their fairly complex break-in period as well.

For the potential risks involved, for how much money we're talking about it potentially costing someone, I think it's much more worth OP's time to just get some kind of confirmation or assurance than to just "not worry about it," IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 11:30 AM   #10
vbb
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
You can look at this both ways:

1) Why would BMW trust the average person to properly baby their car for over 1000 miles and not do it themselves if it were so important

2) If it weren't important, why a) are the instructions in the manual detailing what not to do b) is different/thinner oil run in the car prior to the break-in service being performed and c) are engine warranties supposedly not being honored if you wait too long to perform the service?

I'm personally in camp 2, as I think everyone who buys this car should be. It costs you nothing to follow the procedure, just some fun for a bit which you can speed through break-in period if you really want. As well, this isn't just a BMW thing, though less detailed, the Corvette has a 500 mile break-in period; Mustangs do as well, and Porsche is also well-known for their fairly complex break-in period as well.

For the potential risks involved, for how much money we're talking about it potentially costing someone, I think it's much more worth OP's time to just get some kind of confirmation or assurance than to just "not worry about it," IMO.
I don't know that we disagree on much here. I absolutely am NOT advocating that people should ignore break in procedures as outlined by the manual. In fact, I'm in the camp of people that change the oil more frequently than "necessary" and only use top tier gas companies because it's a relatively cheap way to keep the car running optimally. But I also think that there are two questions at play-
1. Will OP have a "bad" car because the break in service was performed late? No, I don't think so.
2. Will the OP have potential warranty issues because the break in was performed late? Yes, probably.

And it's BMW that needs to confirm whether the factory warranty is intact, not the dealership. If the dealership is advertising the vehicle as "having the balance of the factory warranty" as a selling point, OP would not be out of bounds in asking for confirmation.

But, assuming at least the factory warranty is still there, or if the OP was planning on modding his car and didn't care about the warranty anyway, I don't think the lateness makes the car an auto-pass if everything else checks out. Anytime you buy any used car where you don't know the previous owner and everything about how they used it, you're taking a chance. That should be inherent in the pricing.
      04-02-2024, 11:32 AM   #11
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Run away from this car

2011 E90 335i xDrive
1996 E36 318i
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 12:13 PM   #12
MT6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 '19 CTR '14 Accord MT6

Look for other G80 nationwide there are many available with lower mileage and break in service done at or around 1200 miles
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 12:30 PM   #13
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp/24 X3 M40

Quote:
No, it’s a 22 not certified. Sitting at 14xxx miles.
It’s not certified probably because missing the 1200 mile service disqualifies the car for CPO status (unless the rules have changed).
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3412.50
      04-02-2024, 01:03 PM   #14
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't know that we disagree on much here. I absolutely am NOT advocating that people should ignore break in procedures as outlined by the manual. In fact, I'm in the camp of people that change the oil more frequently than "necessary" and only use top tier gas companies because it's a relatively cheap way to keep the car running optimally. But I also think that there are two questions at play-
1. Will OP have a "bad" car because the break in service was performed late? No, I don't think so.
2. Will the OP have potential warranty issues because the break in was performed late? Yes, probably.

And it's BMW that needs to confirm whether the factory warranty is intact, not the dealership. If the dealership is advertising the vehicle as "having the balance of the factory warranty" as a selling point, OP would not be out of bounds in asking for confirmation.

But, assuming at least the factory warranty is still there, or if the OP was planning on modding his car and didn't care about the warranty anyway, I don't think the lateness makes the car an auto-pass if everything else checks out. Anytime you buy any used car where you don't know the previous owner and everything about how they used it, you're taking a chance. That should be inherent in the pricing.
Agreed.

It's definitely just up to BMW at this point. If they get something in writing from BMW that says the warranty is still good and eligible, that's the point where I'd no longer worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
It’s not certified probably because missing the 1200 mile service disqualifies the car for CPO status (unless the rules have changed).
It's more likely not certified because it's a paid process (dealer to BMW) so they don't do it for a lot of different cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 01:22 PM   #15
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
I personally would look elsewhere. As has been noted leaving the break in service that long likely won’t impact the engine but if they missed that basic step what else did they miss? Where they red-lining it with 50 miles on it? Were they doing launch control daily?

I know it’s likely just me but I refuse to buy used cars as you never know how they have been treated. When I buy a car I follow break-in to the letter. I know I’m taking a big hit on depreciation if I sell but it’s worth the piece of mind to me.
Appreciate 1
DLav8r30.50
      04-02-2024, 01:51 PM   #16
Adler11th
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Do they use different engine oil pre break-in ? I was under impression that it’s diff fluid that different, and oil change to see and catch any abnormal wear and clear up any garbage post 1200miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 02:03 PM   #17
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adler11th View Post
Do they use different engine oil pre break-in ? I was under impression that it’s diff fluid that different, and oil change to see and catch any abnormal wear and clear up any garbage post 1200miles.
Yes, the oil is thinner to assist with the break-in process and help flush out any unwanted material
Appreciate 1
Adler11th100.50
      04-02-2024, 02:54 PM   #18
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
I personally would look elsewhere. As has been noted leaving the break in service that long likely won’t impact the engine but if they missed that basic step what else did they miss? Where they red-lining it with 50 miles on it? Were they doing launch control daily?

I know it’s likely just me but I refuse to buy used cars as you never know how they have been treated. When I buy a car I follow break-in to the letter. I know I’m taking a big hit on depreciation if I sell but it’s worth the piece of mind to me.
I've had such a hit-and-miss experience with used cars, not counting the junkers that I was stuck with in the late 80's before I was able to buy decent cars. I haven't had the 30+ cars that some have, but two were really solid, one was not quite what it should have been, and one was an absolute disaster sold to me by a total slime (my first BMW)...and that one was the only one that was a CPO.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 03:21 PM   #19
DLav8r
Enlisted Member
Rep

I ended up passing on the car. I'm rather particular like most of us on here and it has left enough doubt in my head about what else may potentially be wrong since the owner didn't seem to care enough to be on top of this initial service.

I wanted to make the car work, its somewhat close to where I live. I've been doing nationwide searches and trying to narrow down a low mileage/ manual non comp g80 has been yielding a very limited amount of cars out there suprisingly.
Appreciate 1
Mike02z2030.00
      04-02-2024, 03:50 PM   #20
rm56well
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 comp

Good choice not to proceed, you would have been constantly thinking about it. I would also be wondering why the oils been changed at 5k intervals, way too much unless it's been having a hard life.
      04-02-2024, 05:10 PM   #21
DLav8r
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm56well View Post
Good choice not to proceed, you would have been constantly thinking about it. I would also be wondering why the oils been changed at 5k intervals, way too much unless it's been having a hard life.
I'm planning to change at 5k intervals just for piece of mind. I know everyone has their take on oil service.

Either way now I'm concentrating on a 21 same mileage used, but its SPY..a bold color. Its service was done exactly at 1205 miles and the car is amazingly immaculate for being used. It appears to have been owned by an enthusiast. Trying to decide if the color is a bit too wow, but overall the car is a great combo of what I'm looking for, price, options etc. On the other end of the spectrum I'm also contemplating just saying forget it all, and throw in an order for a new one. A bit more than I'd like to spend for a 4th car, but at least I'd have piece of mind knowing how its been treated since day 1.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 05:22 PM   #22
MT6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 '19 CTR '14 Accord MT6

Just order brand new G80 and spec it to your liking, tracking the assembly and transportation process is fun.

YOLO
Appreciate 0