Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-18-2024, 12:21 AM   #1
BSMG82M4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4 Competition

Garage List
For a tune done at the dealership and warranted between Carbahn and Thompson BMW I can’t complain! After running several pulls on roads and tracks the average results from stocked to tuned are in:

0-60 from 3.1 to 2.7 on 93. Best run 2.6 on 100 octane

1/4 mile from 11.1 to 10.7 on 93 octane

1/8 mile from 7.4 to 6.87 on 93 octane

Car is running all weather continentals, 20” wheels front and back, AA downpipe, Valvetronic exhaust, CSF cooling with manifold, Mishimoto Charge pipe, Carbahn stage 2 tune with warranty.

After warranty, all this needs is flex fuel, port injection, tranny with torque converter and the car is in the mid 9s. No doubt!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      04-18-2024, 08:17 AM   #2
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Nice setup, but one thing that should be corrected is that downpipe… the second turbo pipe should be piped into the main one at a 45° minimum and not just 90° straight in. 🤦*♂️ Seems like a novice mistake to make. Actually a more ideal design would be to bring both into a smooth Y and pipe into one.

Take a look at a Tomei R34 downpipe to get an idea of how a proper straight 6 (non sequential) twins downpipe should be for most efficient flow and power.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 08:30 AM   #3
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Coming along nicely! I'm not sure how the CarBahn tune/CarBahn in general works with flex fuel and how it would interact with port injection/any port controller.. but I'd definitely ask them before going buying anything just in case.

Enjoy her!
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 08:52 AM   #4
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

^^^ They do, but the limits of their warrantied version of their tune is where it’s at. I don’t believe it’s a carte blanche for unrestricted mods. I could be wrong on this, but this is generally how these tuners work in terms of the warrantied staged tunes… some will even make a little less power, but that’s generally because it’s a 91 octane mapping as opposed to 93.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 10:12 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 02:49 PM   #6
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Nice gains!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 06:54 PM   #7
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Very nice build. What are the wheels and specs?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 07:07 PM   #8
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21'-x3m40i 23'-m4c 24'-x3mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Nice setup, but one thing that should be corrected is that downpipe… the second turbo pipe should be piped into the main one at a 45° minimum and not just 90° straight in. ��*♂️ Seems like a novice mistake to make. Actually a more ideal design would be to bring both into a smooth Y and pipe into one.

Take a look at a Tomei R34 downpipe to get an idea of hzeow a proper straight 6 (non sequential) twins downpipe should be for most efficient flow and power.
1) 100% Swank - a man on a flying horse can see that. Hard to tell someone that when the midpipe is super high coin.

2) Very nice carbahn gains, but I gotta think you smoke that warranty if you go way past, port injection, etc. Hasn't car Carbahn fussed about different downpipes vs stock?

(And yeah - that car looks fire....)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 01:29 AM   #9
BSMG82M4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nice setup, but one thing that should be corrected is that downpipe… the second turbo pipe should be piped into the main one at a 45° minimum and not just 90° straight in. 🤦*♂️ Seems like a novice mistake to make. Actually a more ideal design would be to bring both into a smooth Y and pipe into one.

Take a look at a Tomei R34 downpipe to get an idea of how a proper straight 6 (non sequential) twins downpipe should be for most efficient flow and power.
I love it!!! Still trying to get everything to work right. I will definitely look at that setup. This is what I love about this forum. All the experience in one location. I’ll take a look and reply.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 01:41 AM   #10
BSMG82M4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Looked at the Tomei, a couple of thoughts:
  • First of all it’s on a GTR Skyline so way different configuration and spacing
  • Second it looks like it’s catted farther down than the Active Autowerke’s pipes so you have more room to ameuver since it’s not in the engine bay
  • Third I don’t see where it’s used in the G8x platform
  • Fourth, I wish I could have gone catless, but I’m in New Jersey and that’s just too much of a headache for me and the shop to circumvent emissions

I will be in the shop adding a few upgrades so we will take a look to see if a 45 degree angle is possible. We have scanners since I own a mechanical contracting business and can run the models. I agree decreasing static presssure on airflow is the way to go but without reconfiguring everything sometimes that’s not possible. Again, thanks for the suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 01:50 AM   #11
BSMG82M4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Coming along nicely! I'm not sure how the CarBahn tune/CarBahn in general works with flex fuel and how it would interact with port injection/any port controller.. but I'd definitely ask them before going buying anything just in case.

Enjoy her!
Thanks!!! The Carbahn tune does not agree with flex fuel. That’s my next steps after the warranty. I have been in contact with Steve Dinan and he has some other add ons that he will be unleashing in June that will add more horsepower and he is willing to add his warranty. You cannot expect to warrant an over torqued car, but the closer he can get to 10s the more appealing his tune will be to a lot of us.

If the goal is to track the car then there will always be someone there that will smoke you. For those of us that focus more on street racing a 10s car with a strong 60-130 time will put you in the cool kids club.

With that said the Carbahn tune takes you out of the stock category and makes you significantly faster at all speeds. It does it without over stressing your stock parts. Like I said earlier, I’m happy with it!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 01:54 AM   #12
BSMG82M4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Lou View Post
1) 100% Swank - a man on a flying horse can see that. Hard to tell someone that when the midpipe is super high coin.

2) Very nice carbahn gains, but I gotta think you smoke that warranty if you go way past, port injection, etc. Hasn't car Carbahn fussed about different downpipes vs stock?

(And yeah - that car looks fire....)

Thank you!! Carbahn approved the downpipes, flipped on the flex fuel and port injection. That will not happen under their warranty. Waiting to see what their stage 3 tune and what Steve Dinan has up his sleeve. 100 WHP and a high 10s car is not more appealing than the BM3 and JP4 capabilities. If he gets more aggressive and unleashes the S58 a little more he will make up the warranty costs with the excess profit from more sales.
Appreciate 1
M4Lou427.50
      04-19-2024, 01:56 AM   #13
BSMG82M4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Very nice build. What are the wheels and specs?
1. BC Forged HCS21S Royal Gold, Polished Lip - 20x9.5+6 20x11 +16
2. Continental Front:285/30/20 Rear:295/30/20
Appreciate 0