BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-25-2020, 12:09 AM   #1
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
Thoughts from F8x M3/M4 owners who are moving to a G8x M3/M4?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I'm curious. For those that have leases on or are planning to sell/trade-in a prior generation car, I would love to hear more about your rationale, situation, and what makes you excited/hesitant about transitioning to new generation.

Last edited by Avaley; 10-25-2020 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
I'm a bit excited to get out of my F80. Ever since I got the G07, I don't really daily my F80 anymore, mainly due to the interior feeling that much more outdated and the build quality that much more inferior, even with full leather on my F80. For this same reason, I'm not going with an F87 as I originally assumed I would about a year ago. I enjoy driving the F80, but If I wanted a weekend/play car, I'd certainly be looking at something else.

My current F80 lease is up in March, and I'm about 75% sure I'm going to go with a G82. I think my main issues are what I also like about the car, it's different, but it's different; it has good/expensive options I want, but that drives up the cost of the car.

My potential spec is coming up to around $95k, which gives me pause. I mean it's only 10k more than my F80 was, which is due to me adding $8,500 options that didn't exist for the F80 plus some individual paint, so really overall this car it's a better value for what I'm getting. I think my issue is not with the car or payment, but knowing that I won't get my usual 10+% discount on this car, meaning I could likely get into an M5 for the same cost, but I really don't want an M5.
      10-25-2020, 09:52 AM   #3
Rick955
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Lease ending in January... so not much time to contemplate. Have dibs on an HEA allocation but my dealer doesn't have leasing numbers yet. My current F80 has under 5k miles so buying may be a good option. I'm waiting to see if BMW offers up some kind of incentive to buy it outright vs. dropping it off at their front door. I could extend the lease too, but I have a Jeep for my DD and I don't put winter tires on so unless we have a really mild winter again this year, it will just be sitting for the most part. Might just be better off keeping the monthly money, wait for regular orders to open up, and decide then.

Last edited by Rick955; 10-25-2020 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
Avaley728.00
      10-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #4
Puuhapete
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 25e, 2021 Taycan 4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
I'm a bit excited to get out of my F80. Ever since I got the G07, I don't really daily my F80 anymore, mainly due to the interior feeling that much more outdated and the build quality that much more inferior, even with full leather on my F80. For this same reason, I'm not going with an F87 as I originally assumed I would about a year ago. I enjoy driving the F80, but If I wanted a weekend/play car, I'd certainly be looking at something else.
I still love my F80, would never daily anything like a G07. About X1 is maximum size and F80 interior quality is very fine for me as mine is fully loaded.
On the G80 my biggest issue is with the transmission, hate it in the M5. 1800 kilos also doesn't seem tempting.
Appreciate 1
The_Werm212.00
      10-25-2020, 02:58 PM   #5
Bimmr7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/G80 M3 Comp on Ord

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
2010 BMW 335 M Sport  [0.00]
2013 E92 M3 Comp Pkg which I plan on keeping.

Allotment in for G80 M3 Comp. Wouldn’t have had any issues purchasing an F82 but still owed on current car. Since my current car is about to be paid off and I like the aggressive look of the G80 as well as always wanting to drive a four door M3, I went for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 04:18 PM   #6
parathon
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp - Sao Paulo Yellow

I have had M3s for the past 25 years and had every generation. I love my current F82 (ruby red II) and it has converted me to carbon ceramic brakes (they are amazing). At the time I was nervous about the switch to turbos and the electronic steering etc. But that is just progress... BMW are pretty good at building cars and the M division has an eye for detail. I get I am in the minority in liking the external looks and the interior looks fantastic. But having read and listened to the initial reviews of the 4 series (M440i etc) I think these are going to be spectacular cars (even despite the extra weight). Apparently the front end feel and sure "footedness" of the whole car is something else, and very few people have a bad word to say about the S58 engine.

I think it is going to be great and I have my name down.
Appreciate 1
Avaley728.00
      10-25-2020, 04:37 PM   #7
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

There’s enough in the goodie bag to keep me interested, a lot more power, a lot more grip, a lot more traction, interesting looks, nice new interior options.

All new technologies introduced in the F8X including EPS and FI should be significantly improved and matured.

The result should be a much faster and more characterful car. If not and the weight gain prove to be the major change once behind the wheel, I have backup plans (P-car). I do have some faith in M though that the G8X will NOT feel like a small M5 and that it will retain its more agile and somewhat rawer persona vs the M5 while still being significantly more refined than the F8X.

We’ll see, if Porsche keep reaching out and sweeting the deal as they have so far I might not last until the AWD G8X is available or at least until it has been put through full reviews to get an idea how this car really stack up as a drivers car.

I am thoroughly bored with my F80 and it will be traded for one or the other during 2021. I never really loved it but I like it.

Last edited by solstice; 10-25-2020 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
Avaley728.00
      10-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #8
CityLife
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I was initially shocked and horrified with the G80, and I didn't think I would upgrade from my F80. However, after seeing the G80 in person, I am comfortable with purchasing. I don't track or care a lot about weight, so I am fine with the additional weight. I like the DCT I have now, but I mostly drive it like an automatic anyway, so don't care about that either.

The F80 was the first car I ordered myself rather than picking it off the lot. So, after having spent 4.5+ years with it, this will give me the opportunity to maybe select some options that I wish I had chosen, and that could make the experience significantly different.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 07:46 PM   #9
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

After 4 years with 2 M4's I'm ready for something new. It's been an amazing car and I think I'm numb to how nice it is and looks after 4 years. I also get excited by new shiny things. I bought out my lease that ended in August. I'm between a new M4 and an 840 as I think the payments will be pretty close with the larger discounts you can get on the 8 which will help with lease payments. I'm not in love with the front of the car, but it has definitely grown on me since it was introduced. I've looked around and there really aren't any other coupes in the price range that are as nice or give you as much car.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #10
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Would consider a manual touring if/when one arrives in the USA!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:57 AM   #11
karguy95
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

The car is going to be at the top in its class in performance and everything else. I think people are underestimating BMW. With its new AWD and 500hp it would be the perfect daily. i like to drive my sport/performance cars in the worst type of weather conditions and still feel safe. F8X with a tune (500hp) isnt fun in the winter, actually pretty dangerous with cold tires and turning at speeds even at 40mph.
Appreciate 2
bsmf8x777.00
Avaley728.00
      10-29-2020, 05:26 PM   #12
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

if the g8x lease as good as the F8x did I'd get it as a stripper model with a manual, currently have Dct. It's good but I'd take the Dct>stick>ZF. ZF is just lifeless to me
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #13
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
if the g8x lease as good as the F8x did I'd get it as a stripper model with a manual, currently have Dct. It's good but I'd take the Dct>stick>ZF. ZF is just lifeless to me
ZF is lifeless to all enthusiasts lol....a trans flash makes it a BIT better but the ZF is definitely a smooth daily trans that is capable to being sporty in s gear, but not nowhere near lively.

Its a shame that DCTs in BMWs seem like a thing of the past
Appreciate 4
bsmf8x777.00
The_Werm212.00
stein_325i25051.00
      10-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #14
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by karguy95 View Post
The car is going to be at the top in its class in performance and everything else. I think people are underestimating BMW. With its new AWD and 500hp it would be the perfect daily. i like to drive my sport/performance cars in the worst type of weather conditions and still feel safe. F8X with a tune (500hp) isnt fun in the winter, actually pretty dangerous with cold tires and turning at speeds even at 40mph.
Temps near me are ~45 degrees and the F8x went from a blast in the summer to borderline useless/dangerous now.

It's either you leave traction on and let it bog the car down or you take it off and let the car snap every which way with hopes you have the ability to correct it.

I'm a rwd fanatic, love slippage (controlled) but because the m3 serves as a daily sports car I think the awd makes sense.
Appreciate 1
Avaley728.00
      10-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #15
Silber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 M2CS, '19 i8 , '10 135i

So I think in order to move from an F82 into an G8X it takes a good bit of self-reflection as to what matters most to you as a driver.

There was a time when I used to autocross my 135i almost every weekend and I wanted something with a lot of cornering capability, plus really wanted to go through Euro Delivery so I went and priced out an M4 and surprisingly enough it leased so well that it was essentially a no-brainer.

This was back in 2015, and after my lease was up I bought it out since I figured I'd keep it for a few more years and then jump into an M2 to get something in a smaller package. And then I actually sat in an M2 and had a difficult time justifying the payment on a car which felt significantly less refined.

And then I leased an i8 for less than many M4s were going for and it completely changed my outlook. I love the duality of a Super GT, from the styling to the surprising level of performance to the AWD and efficiency, and with some tweaks I was even able to make it sound good. AWD has especially been nice since there have been times where the M4 has definitely tried to kill me in some of the weather conditions we get up here, and even in the dry on some off-camber corners. The big drawback has been that I've missed a stick, but less so than I expected and have found fun in other parts of managing that vehicle. Plus I still have the M4 and 135i if I want to scratch that particular itch.

I was offered an M2CS slot the other day and there was a time where I would have absolutely jumped on it, but again I just can't justify an M2 at that price point anymore after getting absolutely spoiled by the M4 and i8.

To circle back to the G8X - I'm pretty annoyed by BMW for making the car a good bit heavier and larger than the F8X, and in certain ways it feels like a step back from the prior generation since it appears that we've lost a ton of the carbon and lightweight construction that M was so proud of. It puts the car in a bit of an awkward position because the styling is very out there and I'd almost rather get into an M8 to avoid it. But to consider an M8, I have to rule out RWD and a manual, at which point I think I'd rather either get an AWD G82 or wait for a likely M4 Gran Coupe or something electrified.

I think what I really want is to have an option to get a refreshed i8, but that's obviously not possible since they're out of production and it's looking increasinly unlikely that we'll see a successor. And since I've already comromised on a manual before to get excellent grand touring capability and AWD, it's likely that I'll do that again with an AWD M4 Coupe or GranCoupe, go up range for the M8, or skip BMW altogether and wait for the hybrid + AWD Grand Sport C8.

TL;DR: I think BMW's lineup is really awkward for enthusiast right now, but at the same time I'm realizing that my priorities are changing and that I'm increasinbly more willing to accept additional weight and skip out on a 6MT if it's in exchange for better all-year street performance and AWD.

[On Order] 2023 i4 M50 - Frozen Pure Grey | Fiona Red Merino
2020 M2 CS 6MT - Hockenheim | Black 763M
2019 Vorsteiner i8 - Sophisto | Tera Dalbergia Brown Int. | 3M Satin White Aluminum Wrap
2010 135i 6MT - Black Sapphire | Black Int. | VMR V710 | 1M Bumper | Rieger Diffuser
Appreciate 3
Avaley728.00
dovaro129.50
f80er2056.00
      10-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #16
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

More power
Digital dash
X drive
Only live once
Pretty sure I’m gonna get Tanz Blue again now TB2
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2020, 07:23 PM   #17
karguy95
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silber View Post
So I think in order to move from an F82 into an G8X it takes a good bit of self-reflection as to what matters most to you as a driver.

There was a time when I used to autocross my 135i almost every weekend and I wanted something with a lot of cornering capability, plus really wanted to go through Euro Delivery so I went and priced out an M4 and surprisingly enough it leased so well that it was essentially a no-brainer.

This was back in 2015, and after my lease was up I bought it out since I figured I'd keep it for a few more years and then jump into an M2 to get something in a smaller package. And then I actually sat in an M2 and had a difficult time justifying the payment on a car which felt significantly less refined.

And then I leased an i8 for less than many M4s were going for and it completely changed my outlook. I love the duality of a Super GT, from the styling to the surprising level of performance to the AWD and efficiency, and with some tweaks I was even able to make it sound good. AWD has especially been nice since there have been times where the M4 has definitely tried to kill me in some of the weather conditions we get up here, and even in the dry on some off-camber corners. The big drawback has been that I've missed a stick, but less so than I expected and have found fun in other parts of managing that vehicle. Plus I still have the M4 and 135i if I want to scratch that particular itch.

I was offered an M2CS slot the other day and there was a time where I would have absolutely jumped on it, but again I just can't justify an M2 at that price point anymore after getting absolutely spoiled by the M4 and i8.

To circle back to the G8X - I'm pretty annoyed by BMW for making the car a good bit heavier and larger than the F8X, and in certain ways it feels like a step back from the prior generation since it appears that we've lost a ton of the carbon and lightweight construction that M was so proud of. It puts the car in a bit of an awkward position because the styling is very out there and I'd almost rather get into an M8 to avoid it. But to consider an M8, I have to rule out RWD and a manual, at which point I think I'd rather either get an AWD G82 or wait for a likely M4 Gran Coupe or something electrified.

I think what I really want is to have an option to get a refreshed i8, but that's obviously not possible since they're out of production and it's looking increasinly unlikely that we'll see a successor. And since I've already comromised on a manual before to get excellent grand touring capability and AWD, it's likely that I'll do that again with an AWD M4 Coupe or GranCoupe, go up range for the M8, or skip BMW altogether and wait for the hybrid + AWD Grand Sport C8.

TL;DR: I think BMW's lineup is really awkward for enthusiast right now, but at the same time I'm realizing that my priorities are changing and that I'm increasinbly more willing to accept additional weight and skip out on a 6MT if it's in exchange for better all-year street performance and AWD.
Couldn't have agreed more with what you said, to add my two cents i think most of us don't realize that our average speed with these cars is around 20-30 mph depending on where we live. Having a car that does it all when you want it becomes more pleasurable than having a car that just does one thing perfectly and lacks in everything else. Honestly i think that's what BMW is going for here. If you want the small tracky go kart car get a M2C or CS if you want a fast more comfy car get a M3/4 and now with AWD (which i love! btw). i love to use my cars for everything, sometimes i want to cruise, slow down with wife/kids in the car, then sometimes i want to full send into a cliche corner lol and sometimes i want to road trip in a snow or thunder storm. Now with AWD the M4/3 can do that and i couldn't be more happier.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2020, 07:45 PM   #18
Jason60051
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

As an f80 owner I'm excited about the new g80. I think the front will continue to grow on me, but grill aside I'm looking forward to the next chapter in the m3 story. I think the new one is going to be pretty epic...we've all read most the stats. Yes it weighs more etc but at the end of the day there is something special about these cars. I didn't LOVE the f80 when it was first released but now I own one and I think it's one of the best looking cars around.
      11-02-2020, 05:43 AM   #19
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i, '18 X6M, '16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puuhapete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
I still love my F80, would never daily anything like a G07. About X1 is maximum size and F80 interior quality is very fine for me as mine is fully loaded.
On the G80 my biggest issue is with the transmission, hate it in the M5. 1800 kilos also doesn't seem tempting.
How come? The ZF8 is a much better trans than the DCT. It's actually daily driveable without rolling everywhere, can handle A LOT more power without any slipping/issues and also is nearly as fast shifting wise as the DCT. Also don't even get me started on the launch control and the struggles the F8x had/has with a DCT, RWD & two turbos. Overall it's a W, and now these cars modded will be holding some heavy power on a STOCK transmission. I'd really like to hear your reasoning. I love the DCT, just excited to see the potential now of this S58 motor with a trans that can hold 🤞🏼
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #20
Puuhapete
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 25e, 2021 Taycan 4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwarjejeega View Post
How come? The ZF8 is a much better trans than the DCT. It's actually daily driveable without rolling everywhere, can handle A LOT more power without any slipping/issues and also is nearly as fast shifting wise as the DCT. Also don't even get me started on the launch control and the struggles the F8x had/has with a DCT, RWD & two turbos. Overall it's a W, and now these cars modded will be holding some heavy power on a STOCK transmission. I'd really like to hear your reasoning. I love the DCT, just excited to see the potential now of this S58 motor with a trans that can hold 🤞🏼
ZF8 better?? No never ever in a sportscar. Since driven the M5 couple of times its terrible in manual mode. You have to shift like latest on 5krpm not be in limiter. I hated it. The only hope is it has better software in the G80. It also felt super rubbery for me, zero kick.
Launch control is a nothing feature for me, no use.

I have never had any problems in my F80 with the DCT, its very fast and the best is it feels engaging. With the 8-speed tranny I would probably never use manual mode.
Appreciate 3
bsmf8x777.00
stein_325i25051.00
Mavus2014.50
      11-08-2020, 02:07 PM   #21
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
AWD and ventilated seats. Literally the two main reasons I'm looking forward to upgrading from my F82 next summer when AWD orders open.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 06:27 AM   #22
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puuhapete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwarjejeega View Post
ZF8 better?? No never ever in a sportscar. Since driven the M5 couple of times its terrible in manual mode. You have to shift like latest on 5krpm not be in limiter. I hated it. The only hope is it has better software in the G80. It also felt super rubbery for me, zero kick.
Launch control is a nothing feature for me, no use.

I have never had any problems in my F80 with the DCT, its very fast and the best is it feels engaging. With the 8-speed tranny I would probably never use manual mode.
I loved the DCT on our F80 and always drove in manual mode. Not a fan of manual mode in the ZF8 in the X4 M40i and only drove in auto mode.

Having sold the F80 I decided to go to the F87 CS as prefer the DCT to the ZF8 and don't like the front end look and size of the G80.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00