home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

05-14-2022, 02:58 PM   #1
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

BMW Traction Control behaviour and Drive Modes in Various models

So I see that there are a few bits of information out there about how much traction control intervenes in which mode.

Using the M340i X-Drive Touring, the weekend was wet and cold (8-10C)

Perfect time to find out what happens when an idiot hits the tarmac

First DTC mode (MDM/short press TC OFF)

Car flies everywhere (oversteer), wild as heck, computer responds to steering countersteer input to get the car rotated to where you point it. Yaw allowance is pretty generous, car was 45 degrees sideways by the time i countersteered and then it was flung the other way, in fact almost 45 degrees the other way, another countersteer brought it back on track. Drifting is possible in this mode.

If you do not counter steer the car will just spin at the mercy of physics. Applying brakes did not seem to halt the spin.

Next Sport Plus, Sport, Sport Individual (everything in comfort setting!). All seem to produce the same stability computer reactions.

Interestingly, once friction runs out on the rear (violent steering input & acceleration required, 255 rears!) it is allowed to oversteer/spin. If you do not counter steer the car will just spin at the mercy of physics. Applying brakes did not seem to halt the spin.

However it is very easy to catch the oversteer with countersteer input by amateur (never had the opportunity to track a car). This suggests the power is cut a little bit compared to DTC mode, where little to no power cut is applied, drifting is possible. In all sport modes, very controlled sliding around a bend is possible.

Comfort setting - I cannot get the car to oversteer. WHether in D/S/M gearbox modes.

Hope this helps.

**- see next post

Last edited by g21; 05-18-2022 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 03:04 PM   #2
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

this likely applies to M and baby M cars, may or may not apply to rest of the range, I don't know.

Also gives an idea of the X Drive system / torque split rear - for this car at least. THough I can't tell whether it's always on, or on-demand only. BMW M says the M3 AWD is on-demand only.

SOmeone with the right OBD tools could probably tell us the multiplate clutch behaviour ...

Last edited by g21; 05-14-2022 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 05:45 AM   #3
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

My exx cars seem to have three settings,
No button push, my car let’s me know everything is alright.
1 push, dtc light illuminates, car lets you have a little fun but still keeps you safe.
Push and hold lights up something about me making bad choices in life and something about my mom. Car simply says screw it, your on your own player…
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      05-15-2022, 11:55 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M4 View Post

this likely applies to M and baby M cars, may or may not apply to rest of the range, I don't know.

Also gives an idea of the X Drive system / torque split rear - for this car at least. THough I can't tell whether it's always on, or on-demand only. BMW M says the M3 AWD is on-demand only.

SOmeone with the right OBD tools could probably tell us the multiplate clutch behaviour ...
M-Lites are tuned more towards xDrive on demand, than we have been used to. Sport/Sport+ even more so, according to BMW data.

Quote:
M340i xDrive: Press Release 2019

The intelligent all-wheel-drive system in the new BMW M340i xDrive Sedan and BMW M340i xDrive Touring enables fully variable distribution of drive power between the front and rear wheels using an electronically controlled multi-plate clutch in the transfer case. BMW xDrive works in tandem with the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) system and reacts to changes in the driving situation with great precision and in a fraction of a second, maximising traction, agility and handling stability in all weather and road surface conditions, and when the cars’ sporting capabilities are put to the test. The system’s rear-biased setup helps to produce the driving experience expected of an M car, and is especially pronounced with the Driving Experience Control switch set to SPORT or SPORT+ mode. The strategic apportioning of even more power to the rear wheels increases agility when turning into corners, in particular.
Appreciate 1
g213576.50
      05-15-2022, 08:14 PM   #5
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
My exx cars seem to have three settings,
No button push, my car let’s me know everything is alright.
1 push, dtc light illuminates, car lets you have a little fun but still keeps you safe.
Push and hold lights up something about me making bad choices in life and something about my mom. Car simply says screw it, your on your own player…
mine has 4 settings

nanny (comfort)

adults only (sport)

track (DTC)

race (DSC off)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 08:49 PM   #6
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

i recalled another example if anyone's interested.

in the M4, there is no nanny mode even in comfort mode and full ESC ON, the car is allowed to oversteer by the computer, gently catching it when you apply opposite lock. ie same as sports mode in my M340i.

Last edited by g21; 05-18-2022 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0