BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

11-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

G80 M3 vs Tesla Cybertruck

Yes, on the surface this comparison might look ridiculous, but hear me out. I know, tesla model 3 performance is a close competitor but SUV/truck craze is here with us to stay and for some it will make sense to have one vehicle instead of one sports sedan and an suv/ truck.
  • Both will have available AWD, 4 doors and 5 seats.
  • Cost: Top of the line Cybertruck is 69,900, base M3 = same price
  • 1/4 mile acceleration- probably very close
  • Top speed= M3 wins as Cybertruck will be limited to 130 ish because of tires and brick like size
  • Looks: Both will have polarizing looks, but I like Cybertruck more
  • Range: tesla 500 miles vs bmw 400 ish
  • Utility: truck wins hands down
  • Handling: BMW
  • Depreciation: tesla is projected to depreciate less
  • Driving aids: tesla is leading in this department so far, which could help in long journeys
  • Quality, Service and dealership support: BMW takes the point

I know awd G80 won't be available until next summer and Cybertruck won't be available for another 2 years. But hey it's interesting what other people might think
Attached Images

Last edited by XsltAnalyst; 11-24-2020 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10710.50
      11-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #2
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

the design of the truck is just way to wild for me. maybe im old school

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsltAnalyst View Post
Range: tesla 500 miles vs bmw 400 ish
In the real world, comparing the range of a combustion and electric vehicle tells you nothing about the difference between the ownership experiences when it comes to using the vehicle for a trip that exceeds the range.

Instead, the important part is the cost in time to extend. You are talking about a minimum of a ten-fold increase in time (and depending on how you value that resource, decrease in value) with the Tesla or any other electric vehicle compared to a vehicle with a combustion engine. Sure, there are other advantages like cheap electricity and charging at home. But the point is, you absolutely cannot, for any sum of money, buy a five minute recharge for the EV.

How this impacts your life depends greatly on what you do with yourself and how you plan to integrate the vehicle into that. But, I see people underestimate the impact in this change frequently. It's not a minor thing. Or, depending on how you look at it, it is a very minor thing right up until it isn't, at which point you might be staring down a nasty case of buyer's remorse. Now, if you've owned an EV before and have experience, you probably already know all of this, but I think it is worth the mention for those who have not.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 10:48 AM   #4
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
In the real world, comparing the range of a combustion and electric vehicle tells you nothing about the difference between the ownership experiences when it comes to using the vehicle for a trip that exceeds the range.

Instead, the important part is the cost in time to extend. You are talking about a minimum of a ten-fold increase in time (and depending on how you value that resource, decrease in value) with the Tesla or any other electric vehicle compared to a vehicle with a combustion engine. Sure, there are other advantages like cheap electricity and charging at home. But the point is, you absolutely cannot, for any sum of money, buy a five minute recharge for the EV.

How this impacts your life depends greatly on what you do with yourself and how you plan to integrate the vehicle into that. But, I see people underestimate the impact in this change frequently. It's not a minor thing. Or, depending on how you look at it, it is a very minor thing right up until it isn't, at which point you might be staring down a nasty case of buyer's remorse. Now, if you've owned an EV before and have experience, you probably already know all of this, but I think it is worth the mention for those who have not.
Good points. Short trips around town shouldn't be an issue if one is charging at home, so EV might actually save time if you don't have to visit gas station.

Long trips- will require a little pre-planning but with newest version of chargers rolling out soon, 30 minute charging should yield 200-250 mile range in most cases.

I usually stop halfway around 2hr mark when traveling between DC-NY with average rest stop time of 30 minutes so charging time seems acceptable for my use case.

Even when I drive coast to coast, I don't drive more than 700 miles a day so even if the highway range is 400 (80% of 500 estimated range miiles), extra 1-2 hr per day shouldn't affect my total trip time that much. Besides most charging will take place during scheduled rest stops so time penalty for charging should be minimal.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 06:21 PM   #5
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

The cyber truck is so cool that it’s going to be uncool.
Not that I care, I’ll get one anyway but not instead of an M3,M5, 911 or whatever I’ll endup buying next year ;’
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 11:50 PM   #6
cca101
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Is this real? The absolute peak of trolling. Well done, you should be knighted for this performance.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2020, 09:48 PM   #7
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

if you're considering a cyber truck vs. an M3 you need to consider everything in between too.

Here's what I think though. This is most likely the last non-hybrid or non-electric M3 so I'm not wasting the chance to own it. Several years down the road there will be dozens of electric cars, SUVs & trucks to choose from, so maybe then I'll consider going electric.

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0