BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #23
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
Temps near me are ~45 degrees and the F8x went from a blast in the summer to borderline useless/dangerous now.

It's either you leave traction on and let it bog the car down or you take it off and let the car snap every which way with hopes you have the ability to correct it.

I'm a rwd fanatic, love slippage (controlled) but because the m3 serves as a daily sports car I think the awd makes sense.
For the record the two issues above are 100% tire problems and have absolutely nothing to do with the car. Summer tires do not perform below 45 F. I daily drove my F80 with a set of XIce tires and a set of Blizzacks and it performed as well as any other car I've ever driven in the winter.

You can have as many wheels as you want getting power from the engine, but if you're using the wrong rubber you will still have a sh***y experience.
Appreciate 2
bsmf8x777.00
Mavus2014.50
      11-13-2020, 08:30 PM   #24
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by karguy95 View Post
The car is going to be at the top in its class in performance and everything else. I think people are underestimating BMW. With its new AWD and 500hp it would be the perfect daily. i like to drive my sport/performance cars in the worst type of weather conditions and still feel safe. F8X with a tune (500hp) isnt fun in the winter, actually pretty dangerous with cold tires and turning at speeds even at 40mph.
Temps near me are ~45 degrees and the F8x went from a blast in the summer to borderline useless/dangerous now.

It's either you leave traction on and let it bog the car down or you take it off and let the car snap every which way with hopes you have the ability to correct it.

I'm a rwd fanatic, love slippage (controlled) but because the m3 serves as a daily sports car I think the awd makes sense.
what tires?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 11:06 PM   #25
SleepyF80
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 ZCP, '20 X5 M Sport

2018 zcp here.

AWD and the interior/exterior.

AWD will grip much better for the amount of power M cars put to the wheels. Less slippage under throttle.

BMW has completely redone the interior for newer models and sharpened out the exterior edges across all the BMW lines. My wife's 2020 x5 interior feel is much more appealing to me. And the sharp outside angles and the bigger fronts is nice. Unfortunately the f80 will get outdated sooner than later although I still love it.

Just my opinion fellas!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 01:12 AM   #26
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The car is going to be at the top in its class in performance and everything else. I think people are underestimating BMW. With its new AWD and 500hp it would be the perfect daily. i like to drive my sport/performance cars in the worst type of weather conditions and still feel safe. F8X with a tune (500hp) isnt fun in the winter, actually pretty dangerous with cold tires and turning at speeds even at 40mph.

what tires?
Continental extreme contact sport stock sizes. Car came with them, bought it used.

Keep in mind I could perfectly hook, no wheelspin at 20-30 mph, second gear, flooring it, traction off over the summer when the tires were pretty much the same amount of tread. I think at one point I could do a first gear pull, no wheel spin but that day was like 100 degrees and my tires were really hot.

The thing is though, obviously they're summer tires so it's expected at lower temps. But awd and summers do a ton better than rwd and summers at 35-50 degrees F.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 10:13 AM   #27
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Quote:
Quote:

what tires?
Continental extreme contact sport stock sizes. Car came with them, bought it used.

Keep in mind I could perfectly hook, no wheelspin at 20-30 mph, second gear, flooring it, traction off over the summer when the tires were pretty much the same amount of tread. I think at one point I could do a first gear pull, no wheel spin but that day was like 100 degrees and my tires were really hot.

The thing is though, obviously they're summer tires so it's expected at lower temps. But awd and summers do a ton better than rwd and summers at 35-50 degrees F.
summer tire compund below 45deg is like hockey puck. Your initial post did not make sense to folks that know a few things about cars and science.

AWD has benefits for the initial traction upon start but you pay penalties in many other areas. For me lower weight and rwd is more important than 0-60.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 11:01 AM   #28
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:

This dude really thinks it's the car's mistake that it does not have traction at WOT in 2nd gear in 35-degree weather on older SUMMER tires.

I recommend you a Camry on all-seasons instead of an M car because you clearly do not know crap about driving and having common sense.
      11-15-2020, 11:34 AM   #29
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:

This dude really thinks it's the car's mistake that it does not have traction at WOT in 2nd gear in 35-degree weather on older SUMMER tires.

I recommend you a Camry on all-seasons instead of an M car because you clearly do not know crap about driving and having common sense.
I'm just making the point that an m5 on summers would stick. Which is why it's pretty cool the g80 will have AWD. Relax lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 11:47 AM   #30
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
I'm just making the point that an m5 on summers would stick. Which is why it's pretty cool the g80 will have AWD. Relax lol.
You'll still go flying off the road when shit hits the fan, AWD/4WD or not.

Get good winter tires.