BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-22-2023, 09:49 AM   #1
a1gio2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Warranty and performance

Does such a thing still exist?

Is there a company that offers full exhaust and intakes that won't void the factory warranty?

I'm looking for the best set up to make some better noise and retain my full factory warranty. Not looking to go crazy, make any huge power or go to track.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 10:42 AM   #2
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
No, but the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act should protect you, in theory. There are issues, but if you have a good attorney you could be good.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019147.50
      08-22-2023, 11:38 AM   #3
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Carbahn will sell you a warranty for many of their products, including tune, where they will match the factory warranty.

Take a look through the tuning sections and on the Carbahn website. Carbahn is owned by Steve Dinan who, well, founded Dinan but sold it a while back to focus on racing and is now back in the game.

Aside from that, it's pay to play and completely up to the discretion of your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 11:49 AM   #4
StaplesNotepad
Rep
Drives: G8X

Does BMW give you the option to extend the warranty at the 3-4 year mark? Or does it have to be done upfront when you purchase the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 12:01 PM   #5
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaplesNotepad View Post
Does BMW give you the option to extend the warranty at the 3-4 year mark? Or does it have to be done upfront when you purchase the car.
You can extend it at any time during the first 4 years, as long as your 4/50 warranty is in effect.
Appreciate 2
      08-22-2023, 12:20 PM   #6
golf4kal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
No, but the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act should protect you, in theory. There are issues, but if you have a good attorney you could be good.
This. a1gio2 No matter, you'll likely go through the pain of having to argue with your dealership about how your mod didn't cause whatever warranty claim you are making. There are so many hypotheticals of what sort of warranty claim you could be making, that its tough for anyone (even a dealership rep) so give you a concrete answer. Warranty for the mod itself is between you and the company that manufactured the part(s).
      08-22-2023, 12:20 PM   #7
kiw1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Take a look at this YouTube channel. CarGuy302 gets the Stage 2 from Carbahn, Dynos and draggies it before and after. That's your best bet if you are after more power and still want a warranty

https://youtube.com/@carguy302
2012 Audi A4 Avant - SOLD
Insta: mtn_m3cx
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 12:24 PM   #8
christianb5s4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Built 2001 Audi S4

But even then, it's always in the back of my mind that you never know how those aftermarket manufacturer warranties will actually play out until you have an issue.
      08-22-2023, 12:27 PM   #9
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

You should not have a problem with those mods. Catless DP could be an issue. Back in 2017 I talked to the BMW-NA dude when he was there to look at my fucked crank hub. They would not start to repair my car till the guy came. I knew it wasn’t covered, told them I was paying but they could not touch it till he denied warranty. Lame. Lol
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 01:13 PM   #10
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
You should not have a problem with those mods. Catless DP could be an issue. Back in 2017 I talked to the BMW-NA dude when he was there to look at my fucked crank hub. They would not start to repair my car till the guy came. I knew it wasn’t covered, told them I was paying but they could not touch it till he denied warranty. Lame. Lol
You can't say this. I've known dealers to deny warranty for ANY aftermarket mod, no matter how loosely related. You are COMPLETELY at the mercy of the dealer and the local reps. You can lean on M-M as someone else suggested however BMW has lawyers on payroll and is more than willing to fight. So do you want to roll the dice?

OP, if you want to leave your BMW warranty intact, stay stock. Otherwise you are rolling the dice. You can certainly ask around your local form or groups or whatever for who is "mod friendly" and that will increase your chances.
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602217.00
      08-22-2023, 01:17 PM   #11
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
You can't say this. I've known dealers to deny warranty for ANY aftermarket mod, no matter how loosely related. You are COMPLETELY at the mercy of the dealer and the local reps. You can lean on M-M as someone else suggested however BMW has lawyers on payroll and is more than willing to fight. So do you want to roll the dice?

OP, if you want to leave your BMW warranty intact, stay stock. Otherwise you are rolling the dice. You can certainly ask around your local form or groups or whatever for who is "mod friendly" and that will increase your chances.
Yea I agree with this. People on this forum always say oh u can get an attorney and you are protected but who is gonna pay that attorney?
It’s will cost more in attorney fees then fixing the thing. People who say that have not retained or pay attorney fees in the past….
I think some minor mod dealer would not care but if you are modifying exhaust system significantly and gaining HP in the process why should it be covered by warranty? Not to mentioned you are probably violating some emission standards as well.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2023, 01:35 PM   #12
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
For things/repairs in the $0-$10k range, that's small claims (sometimes more. In GA it's $15k). You have the option of filing that yourself, and it's a minimal amount of effort to present evidence to back up your support, and the file fee is quite small in most states.

This kinds of issues, the warranty providers *always* end up losing, so they're likely to cave after learning you've filed in small claims court.

Your obvious least-path-of-resistance is just working with the dealer in the first place so it doesn't have to come to that, but the law is clearly on your side in these situations.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 01:43 PM   #13
SpeedyATL
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Garage List
2015 Yamaha FZ-09  [10.00]
2018 BMW S1000XR   [9.83]
2018 BMW R1200RT  [10.00]
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
You can extend it at any time during the first 4 years, as long as your 4/50 warranty is in effect.
I believe it tends to be less expensive if you do it before you hit 20k miles.
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 01:45 PM   #14
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
For things/repairs in the $0-$10k range, that's small claims (sometimes more. In GA it's $15k). You have the option of filing that yourself, and it's a minimal amount of effort to present evidence to back up your support, and the file fee is quite small in most states.

This kinds of issues, the warranty providers *always* end up losing, so they're likely to cave after learning you've filed in small claims court.

Your obvious least-path-of-resistance is just working with the dealer in the first place so it doesn't have to come to that, but the law is clearly on your side in these situations.
First of all even small claims will take a while, maybe a month or two.

Second I would not rely on u gonna win u have no idea how that’s going to play out.

Third how u going to explain that catless downpipe and modified exhaust is no problem given u are violating state and federal regulations and altering vehicle performance.

Dealerships get paid by BMW for these repairs they don’t care if u filed small claims. They have nothing to loose.
Appreciate 2
Needsdecaf6599.00
      08-22-2023, 01:51 PM   #15
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

People really need to read up on the Magnusson-Moss act before suggesting it as a scapegoat for aftermarket (off-road only) performance parts.

Below are some reading materials on this topic that doesn't involve SEMA's deceptive explanation:

A. https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidanc...#Magnuson-Moss

B. https://www.yourlemonlawrights.com/m...s-warranty-act

C. https://www.autocare.org/government-...s-Warranty-Act
Appreciate 2
Needsdecaf6599.00
kgelfen3602217.00
      08-22-2023, 01:59 PM   #16
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post

Second I would not rely on u gonna win u have no idea how that’s going to play out.

Third how u going to explain that catless downpipe and modified exhaust is no problem given u are violating state and federal regulations and altering vehicle performance.

Dealerships get paid by BMW for these repairs they don’t care if u filed small claims. They have nothing to loose.
Yup.

BMW says: Your aftermarket modifications significantly increased exhaust volume over and above what the car was designed for. You are operating the vehicle in a manner inconsistent with design and that directly lead to the issue. Therefore not covered under conditions of warranty.

What are you going to do, say "i know better than you"? You'd have to hire expert witnesses, run tests and have knowledge of what the original BMW design parameters were and if you've exceeded them.

Yeah, you're not winning this unless you go deep into $$$ at which point you might as well just pay up for the repair as it'll be far less. Which BMW knows when they tell you these things.

You mod, you take the risk of 100% liability. You might get lucky, you might 'know a guy', or know a dealer who is actually respectful. But you always are running SOME kind of risk. It may be your day to get pulled over for 40 in a 35 because some cop had an argument with his wife and spilled coffee on his shirt that morning. Do people drive 50-60 in that 35 every day and get away with it? I'm sure they do. But it was your day...
Appreciate 5
kgelfen3602217.00
Eris496219.50
Nkr151123.50
kfresh69.00
      08-22-2023, 02:43 PM   #17
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
People really need to read up on the Magnusson-Moss act before suggesting it as a scapegoat for aftermarket (off-road only) performance parts.

Below are some reading materials on this topic that doesn't involve SEMA's deceptive explanation:

A. https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidanc...#Magnuson-Moss

B. https://www.yourlemonlawrights.com/m...s-warranty-act

C. https://www.autocare.org/government-...s-Warranty-Act
Quote:
Yup.

BMW says: Your aftermarket modifications significantly increased exhaust volume over and above what the car was designed for. You are operating the vehicle in a manner inconsistent with design and that directly lead to the issue. Therefore not covered under conditions of warranty.

What are you going to do, say "i know better than you"? You'd have to hire expert witnesses, run tests and have knowledge of what the original BMW design parameters were and if you've exceeded them.

Yeah, you're not winning this unless you go deep into $$$ at which point you might as well just pay up for the repair as it'll be far less. Which BMW knows when they tell you these things.

You mod, you take the risk of 100% liability. You might get lucky, you might 'know a guy', or know a dealer who is actually respectful. But you always are running SOME kind of risk. It may be your day to get pulled over for 40 in a 35 because some cop had an argument with his wife and spilled coffee on his shirt that morning. Do people drive 50-60 in that 35 every day and get away with it? I'm sure they do. But it was your day...
I think a modification of an exhaust is a pretty weird grey area when you talk about engine problems since that's specifically a part of the "drivetrain" system, it's the exhaust for the engine. It's easy for BMW to point at it and say "well we cannot guarantee the engine's performance at these parameters will lead to an equal amount of longevity, so we conclude it was the fault of the installed part that is the main reason for the issues" and a jury/judge who doesn't know better will just conclude in their favor.

I'm specifically referring to statements like this:

Quote:
I've known dealers to deny warranty for ANY aftermarket mod, no matter how loosely related.
There's no possible way BMW or any other manufacturer can argue (successfully) that you using a fuse tap for your dashcam or adding a carbon fiber wing was the reason your cylinder head started leaking fuel. No jury or judge would side with BMW in that situation, no matter how good your attorney was.

However, even for my first paragraph in this reply, the M-M act is very clear in its presentation. You can read the law yourself (section C). There's also been plenty of examples of people successfully using M-M to win a case against denied warranty claims, and even to BMW, and even on a similar topic to what we're talking about now.

I will agree that out of all the mods you can do to this car, tunes and exhausts are probably the hardest cases to win.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 02:57 PM   #18
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:

Again. Please find me 1 person on the planet that was denied warranty for an intake.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 03:03 PM   #19
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yea I agree with this. People on this forum always say oh u can get an attorney and you are protected but who is gonna pay that attorney?
It’s will cost more in attorney fees then fixing the thing. People who say that have not retained or pay attorney fees in the past….
I think some minor mod dealer would not care but if you are modifying exhaust system significantly and gaining HP in the process why should it be covered by warranty? Not to mentioned you are probably violating some emission standards as well.
I’m the first one to call BS when people say your warranty is still good with a tune or other mods that are not. Again, I’ve had every brand and every M 3/4 since 99. Have had all sorts of warranty work done with the basic bolt ons. Never had a single question about an intake or a muffler. Lol. Yes BMW has lawyers. DuH. I would think they would lose a case if your tranny blows up and you have an air intake. So if your the type of person who is actually going to worry about losing your warranty for those mods. DO NOT MOD your cars ever. It’s not your game. Lol
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 03:37 PM   #20
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Again. Please find me 1 person on the planet that was denied warranty for an intake.
Go to an Audi form and look. You'll find it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 03:46 PM   #21
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

My SA said that intakes and exhsust don’t void warranty. Just don’t ask them to replace down pipe gaskets under warranty if an aftermarket exhaust is installed. Same thing if you break something under hood while installing an aftermarket intake.
      08-22-2023, 04:02 PM   #22
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So if your the type of person who is actually going to worry about losing your warranty for those mods. DO NOT MOD your cars ever. It’s not your game. Lol
On this we agree 100%
Appreciate 0