BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-21-2023, 04:18 PM   #23
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 m3c

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
Yea I kind of agree with that. I want the safety and power at the same time. I also live in PNW and of course prefer x drive.
I am not sure what people expect this car suppose to do. Like it needs to be hard to handle then it’s fun?
Be careful, the OP is touchy that way and will jump you with his superior race driver skills.
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602271.00
      05-21-2023, 04:54 PM   #24
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
i think you just told me everything I needed to know lmao
Some people are obsessed about winning red light races against Golfs. They also brag about spending the $5k extra on xDrive and love derailing similar discussions. You will have fun reading the below thread!

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2010227
Appreciate 2
ASAP10208.50
Rodizzle412.00
      05-21-2023, 05:05 PM   #25
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Some people are obsessed about winning red light races against Golfs. They also brag about spending the $5k extra on xDrive and love derailing similar discussions. You will have fun reading the below thread!

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2010227
the irony here is that even the 6mt runs a 12.2 1/4 mile lol...

usually the only comments pre this gen of m3 that I ever heard people saying get awd were ironically Audi owners and how that made them superior... yet not a single bmw m owner would even consider an audi at the time sans maybe R8 just by default on how boring they are

i dunno, i guess people that are new to the platform are not ones that I can argue with... indeed they got their wish, we got AWD and now we have a 3900 lb car that drives somewhat like a insulated boat...
      05-21-2023, 05:14 PM   #26
M4nication
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
So I actually just ordered an xDrive M4 Comp. It's my first BMW. So I wasn't familiar with well... Any of it.

So because of that, I wanted to try both the xDrive and the rwd version before I made a decision.

For starters, obviously the xDrive will be better for any form of launching. That's a given. It'll also be better suited for any power mods you may want to add.

Moving on from 0-60 shenanigans, it felt more stable coming out of corners. The dealership let me take them both on some very spirited test drives. When pushing it hard out of a right hand turn, the rwd would kick out and get squirrly. The xDrive did not. It was a smooth transition and let me get out of the corner quicker and smoother.

While it does weigh 100lb more, you don't feel the difference. I'd say I felt it was more agile in the corners than the rwd car actually, due to the added grip. I felt I could push the xDrive harder and more confidently. Especially since it was amongst the first times in a BMW.

For reference on my conditions and experience, I live in Los Angeles, where weather is a non-factor. This will be my daily driver and the only car I own. I am coming from a Hellcat Redeye, so I'm VERY familiar with high horsepower RWD cars.

One last fruit for thought. You can fully disable the xDrive and make it full rwd with the push of a button. So you still get that choice of if you want rwd or not, for any reason at all you may want it. If you get the rwd-only model, you do not get that choice.
Appreciate 5
ASAP10208.50
RockinPA4860.00
kgelfen3602271.00
Gfit2743.00
      05-21-2023, 05:19 PM   #27
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive, '2

Garage List
I don’t understand this question. The xDrive is both. So, why not option it? AWD when you want, rwd when you want…
I love to start in AWD and the flip to RWD once the car and tires are warm. The 10-stage traction control is awesome too for some RWD fun.
The increase in weight is negligible and not something you will feel.
That leaves the price increase for xDrive as your only shopping point. Regarding price, what’s the extra $5k or whatever it is?

To answer your question you also asked others, “have you driven an F80?”

Yes. I owned one. This xDrive G80 is on a completely different level in every aspect. I don’t miss it.

Go xDrive dude. It really is both awd and rwd in one. I can’t understand any argument against it.

Good luck on your decision… either way you’ll have a big smile on your face.

*shameless photos attached*

Attached Images

Appreciate 5
GolfR17157.50
somer972.00
Gfit2743.00
reNT265.50
      05-21-2023, 05:20 PM   #28
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4nication View Post
So I actually just ordered an xDrive M4 Comp. It's my first BMW. So I wasn't familiar with well... Any of it.

So because of that, I wanted to try both the xDrive and the rwd version before I made a decision.

For starters, obviously the xDrive will be better for any form of launching. That's a given. It'll also be better suited for any power mods you may want to add.

Moving on from 0-60 shenanigans, it felt more stable coming out of corners. The dealership let me take them both on some very spirited test drives. When pushing it hard out of a right hand turn, the rwd would kick out and get squirrly. The xDrive did not. It was a smooth transition and let me get out of the corner quicker and smoother.

While it does weigh 100lb more, you don't feel the difference. I'd say I felt it was more agile in the corners than the rwd car actually, due to the added grip. I felt I could push the xDrive harder and more confidently. Especially since it was amongst the first times in a BMW.

For reference on my conditions and experience, I live in Los Angeles, where weather is a non-factor. This will be my daily driver and the only car I own. I am coming from a Hellcat Redeye, so I'm VERY familiar with high horsepower RWD cars.

One last fruit for thought. You can fully disable the xDrive and make it full rwd with the push of a button. So you still get that choice of if you want rwd or not, for any reason at all you may want it. If you get the rwd-only model, you do not get that choice.
thank you for this comment... because it tells me exactly what I am looking for... what you called out would be a benefit to me... I could see you coming from a Hellcat Redeye wanting something that is the completely opposite as a Redeye has virtually no traction at all
      05-21-2023, 05:21 PM   #29
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4nication View Post

and with m drive pro, you can go into rwd mode and still have safety net of nannies. $6k is a good chunk of money for x + m drive pro, but you get best of both worlds.
Appreciate 3
RockinPA4860.00
reNT265.50
      05-21-2023, 05:24 PM   #30
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
the irony here is that even the 6mt runs a 12.2 1/4 mile lol...
It doesnt matter, xDrive is still better as it comes with the additional badge

Quote:
usually the only comments pre this gen of m3 that I ever heard people saying get awd were ironically Audi owners and how that made them superior... yet not a single bmw m owner would even consider an audi at the time sans maybe R8 just by default on how boring they are
xDrive might advantageous for certain use cases but that doesnt make the RWD a slouch. If thats the case, BMW wouldnt have spent money and effort to develop that variant. I am glad that BMW offers different options where most OEMs are just offering one powertrain variant on most vehicles.
Appreciate 1
mathys202.50
      05-21-2023, 05:25 PM   #31
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinPA View Post
I don’t understand this question. The xDrive is both. So, why not option it? AWD when you want, rwd when you want…
I love to start in AWD and the flip to RWD once the car and tires are warm. The 10-stage traction control is awesome too for some RWD fun.
The increase in weight is negligible and not something you will feel.
That leaves the price increase for xDrive as your only shopping point. Regarding price, what’s the extra $5k or whatever it is?

To answer your question you also asked others, “have you driven an F80?”

Yes. I owned one. This xDrive G80 is on a completely different level in every aspect. I don’t miss it.

Go xDrive dude. It really is both awd and rwd in one. I can’t understand any argument against it.

Good luck on your decision… either way you’ll have a big smile on your face.

*shameless photos attached*

You don't think the G80 feels way different to the F80? I think it does... I too have experience with both platforms.

The G80 is a superior machine in every single way on paper... it grips better, handles better, is more stable all while being more comfortable and luxurious. Even in my real world drive, I could feel that. As a track rat, I could immediately see the preference for the G80 because its limits are WAY higher.

However, if you take the paper away, it feels far more safe, insulated, large and heavy on the streets as a daily driver. It needs to be pushed very hard to let go and adding AWD adds yet another safety net.
      05-21-2023, 05:30 PM   #32
M4nication
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
thank you for this comment... because it tells me exactly what I am looking for... what you called out would be a benefit to me... I could see you coming from a Hellcat Redeye wanting something that is the completely opposite as a Redeye has virtually no traction at all
Glad I could help man!

It definitely is a benefit. The only downside to the xDrive is the added cost. Everything else, for me at least, was a benefit, and why I ultimately chose to go with it.

I do a lot of canyon racing (yes, in a Hellcat lmao. You'd be surprised how hard you can throw the fat fucks around). And the xDrive will be better for that for me. I'll feel more confident hitting turns harder and I'll be able to punch out of turns faster and with more confidence. So if that is something important to you, I think the xDrive is a no-brainer, in my opinion.

As the moving on from the Redeye, it definitely has it's charm. Everyone loves to talk down on them. But once you learn them, you can be pretty damn quick in canyons with them. But still... It's not a car you can slam the gas on at all times. In the xDrive I found I was able to slam on the pedal way more often without the negative consequences than the rwd M4 (not to mention the Redeye lmao)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 05:31 PM   #33
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive, '2

Garage List
Quote:
You don't think the G80 feels way different to the F80? I think it does... I too have experience with both platforms.

The G80 is a superior machine in every single way on paper... it grips better, handles better, is more stable all while being more comfortable and luxurious. Even in my real world drive, I could feel that. As a track rat, I could immediately see the preference for the G80 because its limits are WAY higher.

However, if you take the paper away, it feels far more safe, insulated, large and heavy on the streets as a daily driver. It needs to be pushed very hard to let go and adding AWD adds yet another safety net.
I don’t disagree with your assessments. I have not tracked my G80 yet. It definitely loves to be pushed. I haven’t even come close to exercising it’s full potential. Way too much traffic in SoCal to do safely. I’d love to track it one day. I’m just stating what others have also said- the xDrive gives you both. If you go xDrive, def option the 10 stage traction too. It’s a great set up.
Keep us posted what you decide.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 05:40 PM   #34
Asindhidude
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT. Brooklyn/Fiona

Have you considered the 6MT?
Appreciate 1
mathys202.50
      05-21-2023, 05:48 PM   #35
WallieX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jahre IB G80

Quote:

I had a 2016 F80 and it felt a little too edgy for me when pushed. So much so that I didn't even consider a RWD G80. Mind you, I've never tried lunch control in my G80 but occassionally do step on it once the car starts moving.

I think a RWD G80 would be a better fit for you because the RWD G80 traction is improved over the F80, the RWD would feel more edgy at the limit, which is what you want, and the RWD G80 cost thousands less. For example, for the same reasons above, I would buy a C2S over a C4S any day of the week. Why spend the extra $$$$ on a feature that you do not value?
Appreciate 2
ASAP10208.50
mathys202.50
      05-21-2023, 06:13 PM   #36
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

This whole thread is about OP not liking new platform. Which is totally fine. To each is own and he is intitled to his opinion and likes and dislikes.
That’s not going to take away from what I like and think.
It’s kind of odd to post a thread asking others to convince you to like RWD and whatver you might see as exciting to drive. That’s very subjective.
The debate will go on forever and meanwhile we just keep driving.
Cheers!!!
Appreciate 2
beamlord432.50
reNT265.50
      05-21-2023, 06:22 PM   #37
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
I don't get how you didn't get any feedback from the car because it was AWD. This is a pretty rear biased AWD system. You can slide this thing even in AWD mode. You can always hit a button and switch to RWD mode too, but I can guarantee you won't for daily driving, the xdrive is that good.
Appreciate 1
reNT265.50
      05-21-2023, 06:34 PM   #38
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

This article answers the question pretty well
https://www.hagerty.com/media/new-ca...e-2022-bmw-m3/
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 06:44 PM   #39
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
This article answers the question pretty well
https://www.hagerty.com/media/new-ca...e-2022-bmw-m3/
Good article - they speak to the 6mt RWD but the facts remain. Point is - the car needs to be PUSHED VERY HARD to get feeling out of it... so I imagine with AWD and an autobox it would be even worse. That doesn't translate too well to the street.
      05-21-2023, 07:10 PM   #40
MarkyB656
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: G82

Quote:
Good article - they speak to the 6mt RWD but the facts remain. Point is - the car needs to be PUSHED VERY HARD to get feeling out of it... so I imagine with AWD and an autobox it would be even worse. That doesn't translate too well to the street.
again, I don't get the argument, the AWD can be switched to RWD with the push of a button.... soooo why not have both??
Appreciate 1
reNT265.50
      05-21-2023, 07:21 PM   #41
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyB656 View Post
again, I don't get the argument, the AWD can be switched to RWD with the push of a button.... soooo why not have both??
nothing wrong with awd at all... why not for most people? thats why its selling so well. I definitely wouldn't want my X3 m40i to be RWD...it would be a subpar SUV.

but for those few that live in warm climates, never deal with the snow or poor weather in general... want a slightly lighter car and never want an extra safety net that allows the car to kick it out more easily all the time, why have it? I mean there was a whole year without an AWD m3 even in this generation... and I never heard boy I wish I had awd until it came out.

It would be a very similarly posed question if I asked... why is the 911 CS2 so much more popular than the CS4? I mean the premise is identical... or why would Porsche's top dog GT2 RS be RWD?... or frankly any of the GT3 cars? It's gotta have something to do with feeling.
      05-21-2023, 07:36 PM   #42
MarkyB656
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
nothing wrong with awd at all... why not for most people? thats why its selling so well. I definitely wouldn't want my X3 m40i to be RWD...it would be a subpar SUV.

but for those few that live in warm climates, never deal with the snow or poor weather in general... want a slightly lighter car and never want an extra safety net that allows the car to kick it out more easily all the time, why have it? I mean there was a whole year without an AWD m3 even in this generation... and I never heard boy I wish I had awd until it came out.

It would be a very similarly posed question if I asked... why is the 911 CS2 so much more popular than the CS4? I mean the premise is identical... or why would Porsche's top dog GT2 RS be RWD?... or frankly any of the GT3 cars? It's gotta have something to do with feeling.
Yeah I get it, I'm just saying may as well have both at your disposal... Porsche is not a good comparison as their CS4 is AWD can't be switched to RWD at the press of a button like the G8X. The GT(X)rs well the engine and gearbox sit on top of the rear wheels so it has a huge weight over the rear wheels.... that helps heaps with traction.

Last edited by MarkyB656; 05-21-2023 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
reNT265.50
      05-21-2023, 07:45 PM   #43
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyB656 View Post
Yeah I get it, I'm just saying may as well have both at your disposal... Porsche is not a good comparison as their CS4 is AWD can't be switched to RWD at the press of a button like the G8X. The GT(X)rs well the engine and gearbox is on top of the rear wheels so it has a huge weight over the rear wheels.... that helps heaps with traction.
You are 100% right...but that would be assuming the M3 RWD Comp struggles for traction... yet I haven't heard anyone say that yet in this entire thread... except one gentleman who was pushing it hard on a partially wet track lol.

So in what situation does the G80 necessitate the AWD? If you're trying to launch sure... but again the RWD model still does 0-60 in 3.8 seconds so it also launches well and I've heard 0 complaints about traction. There was one guy who for some reason claimed he was worried about getting smoked by Golfs and diesel cars in his RWD M3 and the rest just said...hell might as well just get it because well its better bar non without giving a true reason.

The F80 (especially pre LCI) was an entirely different beast that had massive struggles for traction even with upgraded rear tires... this car doesn't suffer that fate at all. In poor weather and wet conditions, I would absolutely suggest getting the AWD... but I also would not suggest driving a car hard in poor weather but that's just me.
      05-21-2023, 07:49 PM   #44
MarkyB656
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

I have driven both the RWD and xDrive G8X. I was honestly shocked at how good the RWD hooked up.... so the RWD IMO is not a show stopper by all means...
Appreciate 1
mathys202.50