BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-10-2023, 05:38 PM   #45
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
I did it.
I had to pay a guy $1,000 bucks for it and then he had it ready for me when I picked up the car.

He did mention it was a limited time offer, however, that I wouldn’t be able to get later on.

I always fall for that shit.
Oh, cool! Could you elaborate a bit? Was this guy someone that codes or a dealership or what? Seems a bit odd that you wouldn't be able to get it later on. What was the reasoning there?
      08-10-2023, 06:26 PM   #46
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Even if this was software only, I don't know either way, you can't just code it in. You need to change vehicle order and load a different software on the car. I would make an educated guess that multiple controllers would need to be flashed.

If there is a hardware difference between M Drive Pro and "regular", this hardware difference is likely not in the mechanics. It's likely a different electronic module or controller.

I ordered my G80 6MT with the M Drive Pro. I did this because I often autoX and drive on the track. With the M Drive Pro, I can dial in wheel slip depending on my tires, pavement condition and environmental data. 500 hp is difficult to modulate properly and efficiently. With M Drive Pro I dial things for the conditions that I am dealing with.

For daily street driving, all nannies are on.

Besides: the M differentials are nothing special. Made by drexler. Try a real differential like the O.S. Giken Superlock TCD and then you will see a huge difference. I have one on my 335i track car and it is vastly superior to the M differential in my G80 or any other BMW differential.
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      08-10-2023, 07:36 PM   #47
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember.m4 View Post
Oh, cool! Could you elaborate a bit? Was this guy someone that codes or a dealership or what? Seems a bit odd that you wouldn't be able to get it later on. What was the reasoning there?
I’m sorry.
I think my sarcasm needs tuning.

Yes, I just bought it at time of purchase.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2023, 08:13 PM   #48
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowwitsgau View Post
Yet here you are, the only person claiming near 100% certainty

My point is, it’s okay to say “I don’t know for sure, but if I were to make an educated guess, I think X because of Y” instead of making a black and white statement meant to be taken as correct
Ok I apologize I didn't spell out everything word for word exactly what I mean for every word that I mention and am assuming people are smart enough to figure this out for themselves. I'll be sure to do that for you next time.

Quote:
Look man, I was gonna drop it, but apparently you're still out here arguing. You clearly overstated your conjecture. You had weak evidence at best, but tried to sell your opinion as fact. The quote says it all dude. Own up to it, and move on, or just stop replying. You're making things worse for yourself.
You apparently haven't read the thread then. I was perfectly fine to move on and haven't said a word since, but other people decided to start quoting me again with starting stuff, so don't blame me. You're also putting words in my mouth and claiming things I never did, so I suggest you drop it and move on.

Quote:
I’m sorry.
I think my sarcasm needs tuning.

Yes, I just bought it at time of purchase.
People here apparently have a really hard time reading into stuff.
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      08-10-2023, 08:14 PM   #49
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for this productive comment. I'm sure you'd be happy to pay for heat seating subscriptions too. Like I've mentioned, some people bought lot cars or got their cars secondhand. BMW doesn't offer this retroactively, so paying up isn't an option for many folks. If they can have it too, why not let them? Because you paid $900 and want to feel exclusive? Come on. Everyone can win here.
Actually,
He’s the one defending against what you are railing about.

What you want is for features to be enabled at any time for money, which means they can be disabled as well (subscription).

What he is saying is you pick your options, you buy them, and you own them.

If you really are against subs for features, then the only way to do it is to have features that you either buy or you don’t. It’s nonsense what you said.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 08:17 PM   #50
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
it's funny because 90% of the new cars I've seen on the lots or ordered cars don't have M drive Pro... nor do used cars... which kind of blows my mind considering I would choose this over laser lights, exec pack, any carbon pack or leather... really, if I was to get a base car, it would have to have this... not sure what folks are thinking considering it's almost effectively the only option that defines how the car drives sans Xdrive / rwd
Completely agree with you all the way.
This is a “cheap” option that should absolutely not be skipped.

It is crazy that people buy an $80-$100k car and then don’t get that one feature that really enables it to be any different than a Camry.

But hey, what the hell do I know about this that or anything else.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10208.50
      08-10-2023, 08:18 PM   #51
Hardeight27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

BMW NA has detected you used MDrive Professional Mode on a public road. Your subscription has been revoked...
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      08-10-2023, 08:18 PM   #52
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I got my car off the lot (presumably it was a custom ordered car that was not purchased) and it has MdP. In addition to everything described above, it also has "track mode" which automagically turns off all of the driving aids and the iDrive screen. My car has the superior and more attractive version 7 "two screen" edition.

I've never used MdP. If I ever get the chance to drive the car on a skidpad, then I may play with it, but on the street all the traction/stability controls are active, and on the track, everything is off.

I don't drift the car, ever. To me it's silly and abusive, and doesn't do the tires any good. OK, the real reason is that I don't have that skill.

I will add to the conversation that I believe that everything in MdP is software. I can't imagine what hardware could be present, and that clip from the owner's manual doesn't enlighten me at all.

And yes, I'm a little pissed that I spent $900 on something that I don't need or use, but that applies to laser lights as well, as I can't tell a difference. Maybe it will pay off when/if I ever sell this car, but I doubt it.
I wouldn’t even notice if I dropped $900 on the street. Money is worthless.

Just buy all the options.
I’m quite serious on this.
Buy them all, don’t think about it anymore.

As many of you are leasing, it won’t even matter.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 10:56 PM   #53
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Completely agree with you all the way.
This is a “cheap” option that should absolutely not be skipped.

It is crazy that people buy an $80-$100k car and then don’t get that one feature that really enables it to be any different than a Camry.

But hey, what the hell do I know about this that or anything else.
Anyone who thinks this car is no different from a Camry without a $900 option that can only be used in RWD mode to partially turn off TC needs to spend less time on internet forums and more time out on the track experiencing these cars. That is a hot take, my dude.
      08-11-2023, 05:59 AM   #54
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Anyone who thinks this car is no different from a Camry without a $900 option that can only be used in RWD mode to partially turn off TC needs to spend less time on internet forums and more time out on the track experiencing these cars. That is a hot take, my dude.
Totally correct, dude. I mean, the Camry is more comfortable, quieter, gets better fuel economy, more reliable and will probably last longer before an engine rebuild is required.

Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      08-11-2023, 04:03 PM   #55
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrubTheHedgehog View Post
I was told there is a difference in computer hardware onboard and there is a hardware difference.
Sorry, it without an actual source, this information has no validity. And if it was a sales guy, it’s almost certainly wrong.
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602271.00
      08-11-2023, 04:05 PM   #56
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
There's nothing in the parts catalog that indicates the existence of any hardware related to this. If there was an additional part, or an alternate part when this feature was included, it would be there.

Regardless there is no way currently to code it so it doesn't really matter.
Right. You can’t code it because as the technical guide clearly states, the control of it lives in the DME.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2023, 05:19 PM   #57
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Totally correct, dude. I mean, the Camry is more comfortable, quieter, gets better fuel economy, more reliable and will probably last longer before an engine rebuild is required.

Hilarious
😆
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 07:50 PM   #58
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

I have it. Used it a few times on track but just to try it out. I use 4wd sport almost always on track. I seriously doubt there is any HW difference but BMW doesn't actually update the DME software OTA either do they? I know we get OTA updates but those are mostly to idrive I thought? Since the DME (and presumably other control modules) are locked perhaps even dealer flashing is not easy option.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 05:38 PM   #59
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Wanted to bring this back up, but it would be an interesting ask/project for someone connected with FEMTO to ask them to clone a DME from a car with M Drive Professional on it and then take that DME and associate it with a car that doesn’t have it. Then (if necessary) code the MDP options and see if it works. If it truly is just additional coding in the DME this will work and the car won’t know any differently. BMW definitely should have the ability to do this remotely through an update since they can touch the DME code, but it may not be OTA updatable… it could take a full rewrite of the DME module, which they’d have to do via someone coming into a dealership. That’s options they may not want to deal with for a measly $900, so they just tell you no, option it on order or do without.

It’s also quite possible that FEMTO doesn’t want to get involved in doing something like this as it’s them a lawsuit waiting to happen from BMW, since they’re unlocking “pay for” abilities on the car… something FEMTO used to do with Remote Start, which they no longer are, most likely due to this type of risk. It’s one thing to unlock the DME, it’s another to add features someone never paid BMW for to get out the gate.

I’d bet money this can be done with the proposed steps mentioned above. With no hardware differences, all you have to do is simply mirror the software to make it happen and the hardware won’t know any different.
Appreciate 1
s58545.50
      02-13-2024, 05:55 PM   #60
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Also, I’d like to point out that this is basically what the guys who are coding the suspension/steering and trans modules from the CS/CSL onto the other models to make them behave the same. All they’re doing is flashing the code from the CS/CSL models for those respective modules/ECU controllers to the normal cars. That’s why they say it’s all BMW code and technically not voiding warranty (in theory) because it is the same code BMW has ratified can run on the same hardware already. This is the same concept.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 06:51 AM   #61
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Also, I’d like to point out that this is basically what the guys who are coding the suspension/steering and trans modules from the CS/CSL onto the other models to make them behave the same. All they’re doing is flashing the code from the CS/CSL models for those respective modules/ECU controllers to the normal cars. That’s why they say it’s all BMW code and technically not voiding warranty (in theory) because it is the same code BMW has ratified can run on the same hardware already. This is the same concept.
The concept is the same, except that no one has figured out how to load the real BMW CSL tune on a base model. The DMEs are getting bricked in the process. I would love to fave the 3.0 CSL tune with 560 hp on my 6MT but so far, no one is offering this.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 11:10 AM   #62
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
The concept is the same, except that no one has figured out how to load the real BMW CSL tune on a base model. The DMEs are getting bricked in the process. I would love to fave the 3.0 CSL tune with 560 hp on my 6MT but so far, no one is offering this.
BM3’s “free” CSL map is supposedly that once you unlock the DME. Again, I heard conflicting info that stated it was a modified M3 Comp map with raised boost values based on logging a CSL on a dyno and then someone else stated they were sure it was definitely the full CSL BMW calibration. You could do that after a FMETO unlock.

If the DMEs are identical in hardware (which they should be), then someone is missing something in terms of imaging them. If the bootloader is the same and the rest of the flash is the same on identical hardware there is nothing that the DME can do to brick itself. If it’s bricking then someone is missing something in the low level process. If they’re just trying to load the CSL tune via BMW tools or something and bricking, chances are good the low level code that’s on the DME which should match with whatever car trim it’s going on was changed for the CSL/CS models from BMW. Based on what DME you order from BMW as a replacement is what governs what you’re allowed to flash to it. Generally there’s at minimum a checksum that happens at boot agains the rest of the operational flash and if this fails, it won’t go further. It’s this low level part that is usually what gets modified on ECUs to allow for modified maps to be loaded and also allows for other functions to be introduced in maps… it’s what drives the memory addressing that tells is what’s where. If that doesn’t match up, it won’t boot. It’s like looking for a book in the wrong place in a bookcase, you won’t find it and you can’t go further. The whole process stops.

Last edited by SwankPeRFection; 02-14-2024 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
s58545.50
      02-14-2024, 01:04 PM   #63
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Quote:
I wouldn’t even notice if I dropped $900 on the street. Money is worthless.

Just buy all the options.
I’m quite serious on this.
Buy them all, don’t think about it anymore.

As many of you are leasing, it won’t even matter.
Lmao this is insane
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 10:52 AM   #64
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
BM3’s “free” CSL map is supposedly that once you unlock the DME. Again, I heard conflicting info that stated it was a modified M3 Comp map with raised boost values based on logging a CSL on a dyno and then someone else stated they were sure it was definitely the full CSL BMW calibration. You could do that after a FMETO unlock.

If the DMEs are identical in hardware (which they should be), then someone is missing something in terms of imaging them. If the bootloader is the same and the rest of the flash is the same on identical hardware there is nothing that the DME can do to brick itself. If it’s bricking then someone is missing something in the low level process. If they’re just trying to load the CSL tune via BMW tools or something and bricking, chances are good the low level code that’s on the DME which should match with whatever car trim it’s going on was changed for the CSL/CS models from BMW. Based on what DME you order from BMW as a replacement is what governs what you’re allowed to flash to it. Generally there’s at minimum a checksum that happens at boot agains the rest of the operational flash and if this fails, it won’t go further. It’s this low level part that is usually what gets modified on ECUs to allow for modified maps to be loaded and also allows for other functions to be introduced in maps… it’s what drives the memory addressing that tells is what’s where. If that doesn’t match up, it won’t boot. It’s like looking for a book in the wrong place in a bookcase, you won’t find it and you can’t go further. The whole process stops.
I understand everything that you are saying here and I agree with everything. I am engineer as well. I just know that so far no one has been able to load the "real" CSL tune on a non-CSL car, whatever the reasons may be.
      02-15-2024, 02:07 PM   #65
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
I understand everything that you are saying here and I agree with everything. I am engineer as well. I just know that so far no one has been able to load the "real" CSL tune on a non-CSL car, whatever the reasons may be.
According to BM3, the factory base maps listings for CSL through their software is BMW’s actual CSL calibration, so if you’ve FEMTO unlocked, you could just run that.
Appreciate 0