BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #1
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Victimized by a building contractor scam

So I hired this "company" to come out and replace my old wood fence with a new PVC fence. Signed proposal back in the end of July and gave a deposit... yeah you see where this is going.

Anyways still no fence. Guy always had some excuse. At this point I'm pretty sure it's just a scam. Permit still hasn't been issued, he tries blaming covid, but I have been in contact with the permit office and basically the guy just keeps failing to provide the required info. He didn't file it for a month, then took another month to submit payment, then didn't provide survey and now wont provide insurance info. Obviously refuses to refund anything and at this point has stopped responding.

Now when you Google the company you see reviews starting to popup around the same time basically claiming exact same thing that's going on with me. When I started looking into the guy he is shady as fuck! First thing that popsup is his mug shot from when he was in prison. Even his kid has a mug shot up on Google and so does his supposed business partner. Apparently just started the company like Dec of 2019 and is pulling the same scam on a bunch of people.

And yeah I know it's my fault for not looking into the guy in more detail before, but honestly in the 10 years I've been in this house I have never had an issue with a single contractor. Sure some are better than others, but never had one be an outright crook so I guess I had my guard down.

Anyways what would you guys do? Couple lawyers I talked to said it's not worth it just go to small claim court. However is there any point in even doing that? I mean it seems pretty complicated to file the case in small claims court, you have to pay a bunch of fees and really what guarantee is there I will get any $$ back? I can get a judgement but what good is that when the scumbag just shuts down the company?

At this point I don't even care about my deposit. I would happily forfeit it if I knew the pos was getting locked up. I hate crooks.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
SCS9815
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40D, Audi SQ7

Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm in the UK so things may be a little different, but if he comes up on google it is worth leaving a review as they can't be deleted by the company. Over here there are various sites where you can rate and recommend tradespeople (as well as warn people off). If you have anything similar it might be a quick way of checking things out before going down that road again.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
So I hired this "company" to come out and replace my old wood fence with a new PVC fence. Signed proposal back in the end of July and gave a deposit... yeah you see where this is going.

Anyways still no fence. Guy always had some excuse. At this point I'm pretty sure it's just a scam. Permit still hasn't been issued, he tries blaming covid, but I have been in contact with the permit office and basically the guy just keeps failing to provide the required info. He didn't file it for a month, then took another month to submit payment, then didn't provide survey and now wont provide insurance info. Obviously refuses to refund anything and at this point has stopped responding.

Now when you Google the company you see reviews starting to popup around the same time basically claiming exact same thing that's going on with me. When I started looking into the guy he is shady as fuck! First thing that popsup is his mug shot from when he was in prison. Even his kid has a mug shot up on Google and so does his supposed business partner. Apparently just started the company like Dec of 2019 and is pulling the same scam on a bunch of people.

And yeah I know it's my fault for not looking into the guy in more detail before, but honestly in the 10 years I've been in this house I have never had an issue with a single contractor. Sure some are better than others, but never had one be an outright crook so I guess I had my guard down.

Anyways what would you guys do? Couple lawyers I talked to said it's not worth it just go to small claim court. However is there any point in even doing that? I mean it seems pretty complicated to file the case in small claims court, you have to pay a bunch of fees and really what guarantee is there I will get any $$ back? I can get a judgement but what good is that when the scumbag just shuts down the company?

At this point I don't even care about my deposit. I would happily forfeit it if I knew the pos was getting locked up. I hate crooks.
Is he a corporation or an individual doing the company though?

If individual, you can get a lien on his house through court and then when he goes to sell, you get paid. My parents had to do that for a roofer who pulled the same stunt. Of course, different country, so results may vary...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #4
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Is he a corporation or an individual doing the company though?

If individual, you can get a lien on his house through court and then when he goes to sell, you get paid. My parents had to do that for a roofer who pulled the same stunt. Of course, different country, so results may vary...
He is a "corporation" and by that I mean he paid the $150 or whatever it is to register with the state. I can pretty much guarantee you it's just him and his scammer buddy. I'm sure a lawyer could try to sue him personally, but I'm not sure that's something I can do in small claims court.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #5
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Is he licensed and bonded? If so, you can go to the licensing comission to see what remedies you can pursue.

One of the reasons I will not work with any contractor that is not licensed and bonded.
Appreciate 3
UncleWede17872.50
Kelse921131.50
      12-02-2020, 06:23 PM   #6
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I don't know the laws for Florida but I've sued someone in small claims court in Texas and it was pretty much pointless. I won and got a judgement, filed an abstract of judgement with the county, filed a writ of garnishment... it was all for nothing. Texas protects debtors, wage garnishment is illegal, you can't put a lien on a primary residence (only a secondary). It's a pain in the ass to try to track down property to collect against or to get a sheriff to collect on.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 06:58 PM   #7
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Two words...Judge Judy. Expose his fraudulent butt on national TV, and maybe even get some or all of your money back from the show if they are still paying for their judgements.....
King Rudi13152.00
DETRoadster11446.00
      12-02-2020, 07:10 PM   #8
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
How much was the deposit?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 07:25 PM   #9
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I’d have a friend call and bait him with a big project. After arranging an appointment, you can be waiting in the house to confront him. Perhaps having a Sheriff or Police there to put an exclamation point on it.
Kelse921131.50
      12-02-2020, 08:03 PM   #10
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Was this in Miami? Wouldn’t be surprised if it was. Always go with referrals for things like this to help prevent getting shafted as SoFlo is full of crooks.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 07:08 AM   #11
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I assume he had to do a site visit to price this fence replacement? If so, find an empty rental and arrange for him to come round to price some work. You and a mate (in disguise) play baseball with his legs or better still, do a Dexter
Appreciate 3
      12-03-2020, 07:36 AM   #12
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
if all parties involve agree for closing 12/7, I will be homeowner!!
Before i move in, I need to do some work which will require professional/license company to perform abandonment of oil tank that is underground, and new install above ground.
i been researching for companies that have more then 1 locations, and reviews.

just cut your loss, and move on. he probably wont have funds to pay anyone back.
it sucks though.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 08:03 AM   #13
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Dude my neighbor, (happens to be from Long Island) is a contractor, and he got scammed out of $20k by another contractor.... So it happens, I guess, to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 08:11 AM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Per my comment about ensuring the contractor is licensed and bonded, from what I know at least for my state, you have remedies if things go south. Not only will the licensing board investigate any complaints but the bond part is there which the contractor has to pay money in to where the state can make distributions for any damages to customers.

While many times one shouldn't have any major issues with a contractor, the piece of mind paying for the higher rates for a licensed and bonded contractor vs one that is not is something I'm willing to pay.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2020, 08:27 AM   #15
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Once upon a time I had a contractor do a complete remodel on a house I had to flip, and boy it was a nightmare. Fly by night deal that always seemed cracked out or drunk. Left a check with a relative to pay the guy for that week's work after completion while I was out of town, but of course she gave the check early in the week. Guy jumped town with a pocket full of cash for work he didn't complete. Half built deck with the rear French doors missing a threshold and a time schedule to list the house in a week. Check was cashed before I knew it and POOF...dude was gone to never be heard from again.

While I can't be of any assistance to OP, I'd be interested to see what not to do in these situations. I am always ultra DIY (I enjoy it, and, well, I don't trust folks as can be seen here and above), but I just don't see building a privacy fence in the cards as a solo project. zx10guy mentions ensuring the contractor is licensed and bonded which is great advice. My only experience is Mr. Workforarock, and I just cannot go through that crap again. What other advice do the people have in selecting the right team? Google reviews? Bring your top three out to bid? What else?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 09:42 AM   #16
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
How much was the deposit?
$1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Was this in Miami? Wouldn’t be surprised if it was. Always go with referrals for things like this to help prevent getting shafted as SoFlo is full of crooks.
Boynton, but like I said in 10 years at this house never had an issue with a contractor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
I don't know the laws for Florida but I've sued someone in small claims court in Texas and it was pretty much pointless. I won and got a judgement, filed an abstract of judgement with the county, filed a writ of garnishment... it was all for nothing. Texas protects debtors, wage garnishment is illegal, you can't put a lien on a primary residence (only a secondary). It's a pain in the ass to try to track down property to collect against or to get a sheriff to collect on.
That's my thought also, but I hate to see the fuck face get away with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Per my comment about ensuring the contractor is licensed and bonded, from what I know at least for my state, you have remedies if things go south. Not only will the licensing board investigate any complaints but the bond part is there which the contractor has to pay money in to where the state can make distributions for any damages to customers.

While many times one shouldn't have any major issues with a contractor, the piece of mind paying for the higher rates for a licensed and bonded contractor vs one that is not is something I'm willing to pay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Once upon a time I had a contractor do a complete remodel on a house I had to flip, and boy it was a nightmare. Fly by night deal that always seemed cracked out or drunk. Left a check with a relative to pay the guy for that week's work after completion while I was out of town, but of course she gave the check early in the week. Guy jumped town with a pocket full of cash for work he didn't complete. Half built deck with the rear French doors missing a threshold and a time schedule to list the house in a week. Check was cashed before I knew it and POOF...dude was gone to never be heard from again.

While I can't be of any assistance to OP, I'd be interested to see what not to do in these situations. I am always ultra DIY (I enjoy it, and, well, I don't trust folks as can be seen here and above), but I just don't see building a privacy fence in the cards as a solo project. zx10guy mentions ensuring the contractor is licensed and bonded which is great advice. My only experience is Mr. Workforarock, and I just cannot go through that crap again. What other advice do the people have in selecting the right team? Google reviews? Bring your top three out to bid? What else?
The issue is the guy is maybe, kinda licensed. The license he has comes back to some other company which he claimed was the main company because him and his partner did handyman work so at the time didn't think much of it. I think the biggest mistake was giving this guy a deposit. Should of given him enough to get the permit then maybe once everything is vetted and project should start give more for materials or whatever dunno.

I actually looked and got quotes for a couple of companies. He actually seemed quite professional when he came out to quote. At the time he also had decent reviews. Hindsight being 20/20 he didn't have that many and they were probably fake.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 12:04 PM   #17
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
What other advice do the people have in selecting the right team? Google reviews? Bring your top three out to bid? What else?
Angie's List, HomeAdvisor, and other trades-referral services that both vet an offer reviews before you even contact a potential contractor.

I saw an episode of "Bar Rescue" where Jon Taffer claimed that he hired all tradespeople for his overnight renovations all over the country from Angie's List.....
      12-04-2020, 12:06 AM   #18
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Angie's List, HomeAdvisor, and other trades-referral services that both vet an offer reviews before you even contact a potential contractor.

I saw an episode of "Bar Rescue" where Jon Taffer claimed that he hired all tradespeople for his overnight renovations all over the country from Angie's List.....
Doesn't work all the time. One of the places I looked was Angies List. Guy had good reviews... at the time. Now of course you have bad reviews popping up.

Angies List even added a banner to his profile stating:

"Under certain circumstances, Angie's List requires the owner, relevant manager, and/or specific key employee(s) of a business to submit to a background check by our third-party screening company. The requested individual for this company refused to authorize an Angie's List background check, and the company will be withheld from category and keyword searches until such time as the provider authorizes and passes this background check."

This would have been an obvious red flag but the notice is dated 10/1/2020 which is way after I hired him.

Apparently you can pay $160 to start a corporation here in FL. Get a few fake reviews on Google or what not, start taking peoples money, once they figure it out shut it down go to Bahamas to celebrate your pay day. Once you blow through that start a new company, rinse and repeat. No one can apparently do anything about it.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614883.50
      12-04-2020, 12:58 AM   #19
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Contact local news channels and radios to share your story. It's not just an awareness thing but name and shit.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614883.50
      12-04-2020, 06:58 AM   #20
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
The solution seems pretty obvious to me...

That sucks though.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      12-04-2020, 07:00 AM   #21
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Sorry to hear this.

I never let anyone get ahead of me on payments. If a contractor/contracting corporation or whatever the entity may be, doesn't have the financial wherewithal to start a job and get through phase one of whatever, I don't do business with them. Period. End of Story..

Good luck in recovering your funds and getting your job done!!
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #22
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Did you pay the deposit with a credit card? If so you should file a dispute
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13282.50