BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-30-2020, 03:08 PM   #111
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post

Personally I don't really want cameras + tech in my cars as they quickly get outdated and break more often than mechanical bits and bobs.

I mean the executive package or parking assistance package in a M3? Heated steering wheel (because most people will be driving their M3's in sub 40 degree weather...not), power tailgate (really are we that lazy now), gesture controls (useless), different lights, etc. - come on what a waste of money. Some people like HUDs so I could see that being of value to someone (I am already annoyed at the digital dash).
Agree. The only thing I would like from the executive package is the HUD. But I'm not sure it's worth paying for the entire package just to get the HUD. As far as cameras, self-parking, self-driving, etc., it sounds nice but I kinda want to drive this car myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #112
VTX3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

So the idea with mine would be a 3.5 season car. Wouldn't drive it in heavy snow, but would take it out during dry weather over the winter. On delivery I'd get Michelin AS4+ swapped on. Those alone will buy me at least 2 months more driving from the tire compounds alone (could drive in cold weather). They could also handle super light snow if I misjudged the weather.

Total 75495
2021 M3 Sedan 6MT
Brooklyn Grey metallic
18"/19" M Double-spoke orbit grey wheels, style 824M, w/perf non run-flat tires
Black Extended Merino Leather
Carbon Fiber trim
Executive Package
M Compound Brake with Black Calipers
Extended Shadowline Trim
Individual shadowline lights
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #113
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Parking assistance is the 360 camera, that's something that is essential to some to prevent curbing wheels, avoiding side- wipes especially for those who live or park in the city garages where spaces are tight. Now driving assistance sure I don't see the need for those and will never order a car with them since I don't even use cruise control. However, BMW was smart to put the driving aids into a separate package.

Executive pkg must have are the HUD and Laser headlights, maybe wireless charging/wifi so you don't fumble with cables while driving in the event your iPhone is on low charge. For my location, the other stuff are not a necessity. Therefore for the other options, I wouldn't pay for that but BMW bundles these instead of ala carte.
      12-01-2020, 02:29 PM   #114
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Raptor, 2008 Subaru

Exterior carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by recentrisk2 View Post
I did a visual comparison... Really it is just the M Carbon blade that splits the lower intake and does look much better. I couldn't see the difference on the rear diffuser? So for $4,700 i might pass and just get the Carbon Blade aftermarket as I do not need to spend almost $5K for a carbon version of what is already on the car.

Can anyone confirm if the rear spoiler is the same size just in carbon?

You can always order from the MPerformance catalog just the pieces you desire. I ordered my M3Competition in August and still to this day can't get the Exterior Carbon Package... it's greyed out on my build sheet.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 03:12 PM   #115
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Parking assistance is the 360 camera, that's something that is essential to some to prevent curbing wheels, avoiding side- wipes especially for those who live or park in the city garages where spaces are tight. Now driving assistance sure I don't see the need for those and will never order a car with them since I don't even use cruise control. However, BMW was smart to put the driving aids into a separate package.

Executive pkg must have are the HUD and Laser headlights, maybe wireless charging/wifi so you don't fumble with cables while driving in the event your iPhone is on low charge. For my location, the other stuff are not a necessity. Therefore for the other options, I wouldn't pay for that but BMW bundles these instead of ala carte.
Are you sure the parking assistance package is needed for the 360 camera? It only mentions the automatic parallel parking and the drive recorder. I don't need those, but I do want the camera to avoid scrapes.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 03:31 PM   #116
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Positive, that's how it is on the G20 and other BMW's as well.
      12-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #117
josehb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C Tanzanite Blue

Are the 18/19 inch tires option going to be more comfortable but handlining will not be as good? The front tires are 275/40 that is a tire depth of 110 mm, that will give a very large lateral tire deformation when cornering hard.

Also can we pre order these cars now in the USA for their March launch date?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #118
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josehb View Post
Are the 18/19 inch tires option going to be more comfortable but handlining will not be as good? The front tires are 275/40 that is a tire depth of 110 mm, that will give a very large lateral tire deformation when cornering hard.

I talked to a dealer a couple of days ago and he said there would be allocations in the "next few days." It didn't sound super limited. But he also wanted $5K over MSRP. I will pass on that.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 06:21 PM   #119
F80SRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 xM3C/'20 X3MComp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl1by View Post
You can always order from the MPerformance catalog just the pieces you desire. I ordered my M3Competition in August and still to this day can't get the Exterior Carbon Package... it's greyed out on my build sheet.
Quote:

My dealer has already taken orders for RWD. AWD is still on hold (at least at my dealership, perhaps others have had better luck).
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 06:25 PM   #120
F80SRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 xM3C/'20 X3MComp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX3 View Post
So the idea with mine would be a 3.5 season car. Wouldn't drive it in heavy snow, but would take it out during dry weather over the winter. On delivery I'd get Michelin AS4+ swapped on. Those alone will buy me at least 2 months more driving from the tire compounds alone (could drive in cold weather). They could also handle super light snow if I misjudged the weather.

Total 75495
2021 M3 Sedan 6MT
Brooklyn Grey metallic
18"/19" M Double-spoke orbit grey wheels, style 824M, w/perf non run-flat tires
Black Extended Merino Leather
Carbon Fiber trim
Executive Package
M Compound Brake with Black Calipers
Extended Shadowline Trim
Individual shadowline lights
Yup, that's myself as well. Vermont/Colorado, one in the same. My cars will see cold weather, though COVID helped push my company to become comfortable with full WFH, so I can dodge snow days.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #121
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Can't really judge simply by the thickness of the sidewall. Besides, the sidewalls are not really 110mm tall. That includes the actual bead of the tire that sits below the lip of the rim. about .75" of tire sidewall sits below the edge of the rim so the sidewall above the rim is more like 3.5" only.

Furthermore, how firm the sidewall is has a much greater impact on how the car handles, amount of sidewall deflection, how quickly the car turns in. For example, Formula 1 cars run these super thick sidewalled F1 tires and these cars probably turn in sharper and handle better than any other cars on the planet.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 07:13 PM   #122
josehb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Can't really judge simply by the thickness of the sidewall. Besides, the sidewalls are not really 110mm tall. That includes the actual bead of the tire that sits below the lip of the rim. about .75" of tire sidewall sits below the edge of the rim so the sidewall above the rim is more like 3.5" only.

Furthermore, how firm the sidewall is has a much greater impact on how the car handles, amount of sidewall deflection, how quickly the car turns in. For example, Formula 1 cars run these super thick sidewalled F1 tires and these cars probably turn in sharper and handle better than any other cars on the planet.
Sounds good, thanks. I like the 18/19 wheels the most out of all the options so that is what I will get.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 07:28 PM   #123
josehb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
I talked to a dealer a couple of days ago and he said there would be allocations in the "next few days." It didn't sound super limited. But he also wanted $5K over MSRP. I will pass on that.
Wow 5k over MSRP ? I'm actually cancelling my order for a 2021 M340XDrive with the exe and cooling package for track days because the M3's are now available for ordering. When I order the M340 6 weeks ago the dealer said that the M3 was going to take about another 6 months so that is why I order the M340. Very disappointing to hear that they may be going for 5k over MSRP if that is the case I may keep the M340 and trade it in for the M3 in a year or so when the price should be less than MSRP. I'm getting $5,500 below MSRP for the M340. Loyal owner at $500, dealer discount $3,000 and BMW incentive thru finance at $2,000. The MSRP for the M340 is $65,500
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 09:16 PM   #124
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Wow 5k over MSRP ? I'm actually cancelling my order for a 2021 M340XDrive with the exe and cooling package for track days because the M3's are now available for ordering. When I order the M340 6 weeks ago the dealer said that the M3 was going to take about another 6 months so that is why I order the M340. Very disappointing to hear that they may be going for 5k over MSRP if that is the case I may keep the M340 and trade it in for the M3 in a year or so when the price should be less than MSRP. I'm getting $5,500 below MSRP for the M340. Loyal owner at $500, dealer discount $3,000 and BMW incentive thru finance at $2,000. The MSRP for the M340 is $65,500
If you want/need awd then that won't be an option until late summer for the G80 tho
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 10:00 PM   #125
josehb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
If you want/need awd then that won't be an option until late summer for the G80 tho
No, I'm willing to go with RWD with the M3, I'm retired and now only drive my car about 5000 miles a year and on winter snow days the car is staying in the garage. I order the AWD on the M340 for the better 0-60 times. I may also go and test drive an AMG C63s, and I'm sure they will not go for 5k over MSRP.
Appreciate 1
Gdiddy23905.50
      12-04-2020, 12:16 AM   #126
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
No, I'm willing to go with RWD with the M3, I'm retired and now only drive my car about 5000 miles a year and on winter snow days the car is staying in the garage. I order the AWD on the M340 for the better 0-60 times. I may also go and test drive an AMG C63s, and I'm sure they will not go for 5k over MSRP.
Check with your dealer. The guy I talked to said 5k over MSRP but he also said that once an order arrives the situation may change. They're just trying to take advantage and make some money. Other dealers may not do this. I doubt any incentives will be available for a while.

I was also looking at the M340i. With incentives it is quite a bit cheaper than the M3. But I would rather have a lightly loaded M3 than a fully loaded M340i.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #127
josehb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Check with your dealer. The guy I talked to said 5k over MSRP but he also said that once an order arrives the situation may change. They're just trying to take advantage and make some money. Other dealers may not do this. I doubt any incentives will be available for a while.

I was also looking at the M340i. With incentives it is quite a bit cheaper than the M3. But I would rather have a lightly loaded M3 than a fully loaded M340i.
Yes I was hoping that not all dealers are taking advantage of buyers who want to be among the first to order the car and yes I do not expect any incentives from BMW for a new generation car. At this point I'll be happy to pay MSRP. I do agree with you a lightly spec M3 is better than the m340 fully loaded and is what I will be ordering do not need Heads up display or laser lights jus want to drive the car.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #128
backslashv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-SP0RT View Post
Brooklyn Grey looks terrible on the configurator I'm now questioning if I'll like it in real life

Still waiting for the M xDrive price so I'm budgeting $3k for now

Planned mods:
1. drop (MP-HAS or aftermarket springs)
2. spacers
3. color-matched reflectors
4. kayalmi orange break calipers
5. tint
Just curious, what are spacers and what's meant by "color matched" reflectors?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 04:38 PM   #129
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashv View Post
Just curious, what are spacers and what's meant by "color matched" reflectors?
Spacers: wheel spacers -- installed between the wheel & the hub to push the wheels out and increase the track (on BMWs typically 10mm to 15mm). It's important to keep the wheel inside the fender. On a lowered car, adding spacers makes the car look more aggressive.

Color Matched Reflectors: American spec cars come with "ugly" orange reflectors on the side of the front bumper. Many of us paint those or replace them with painted reflectors for a cleaner look. We're too picky right? Example from the web below.

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2020, 07:01 PM   #130
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes I was hoping that not all dealers are taking advantage of buyers who want to be among the first to order the car and yes I do not expect any incentives from BMW for a new generation car. At this point I'll be happy to pay MSRP. I do agree with you a lightly spec M3 is better than the m340 fully loaded and is what I will be ordering do not need Heads up display or laser lights jus want to drive the car.
Thanks
The one option I like is the 360 camera view for parking. If it helps me avoid scraping against curbs it will be well worth it. I do like the heads up display, but I'm not sure it's worth it to buy the exec package just for that. There's a bunch of other cool stuff, but getting carried away quickly turns a $70k car into a $90k car.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:03 PM   #131
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Any downsides to the carbon roof? I read somewhere that it gets very loud when it rains. Is that true?

Other than that, it's lighter, looks cool and gives me more headroom so seems like a good thing. Just wondering if there were any bad things to consider from those of you who had the carbon roof before.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 08:31 PM   #132
josehb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
So I went fully loaded with every single option (except carbon ceramics). 6MT

I am not a fan of any of the colors for the gen. This car needs a light color to contract the CF and the black skirts. Yas Marina Blue would have been perfect, Sao Paolo Yellow IS perfect but not a color I could live with (excited to see them on the road).

I submitted Fire Orange, but Toronto Red is my back up if it doesn't get approved. I have a week 49 build so I go into production in about 3 weeks.
If the launch date is March 2021 how you managed a week built 49 which is this week, production for the M3 started on November 5th in Munich.

Last edited by josehb; 12-05-2020 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0