BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-24-2021, 09:42 AM   #199
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I'm really surprised that people can see this car in person and still call it ugly. I've dropped by dealerships several times to eyeball both M3 and M4 in different colors and each time I'm super impressed. In photos it does look awkward and I was fully on the hate train early on but after seeing it in motion and in person, I'm completely sold.

I'm also of the opinion that other than fender gap, the M4 looks substantially more special than M3. I'm very torn which one I would get when factoring in price and rear seat function. The M4 is just money baby!
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan25016.50
chicagofan0019132.50
Mephisto115.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
      04-26-2021, 11:44 PM   #200
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Well I don't know about you but I'm in my mid 20s. Now able to purchase an m3/4 and I 100% will not be because of the design. So perhaps they know more than me but they certainly lost me as a customer.
Im 27 and bought it.
I can probably get on board with the m3. I believe an LCI refresh will help. But the m4 has no redeeming qualities in its design whatsoever except it's interior and the rear. Side profile is soft and has no character. Front is horrible. Flares aren't even visible especially in pictures. Just a bad looking car. G80 side and rear is very nice.
Na it's better looking than the m3.

It looks lower and more aggressive and has more arch than the m3 with sharper lines throughout.

But we both are just sharing our opinions.

Everywhere I go people surround this thing and talk about how awesome it is.. obviously not forum fanboys but real world people.

Regular people especially think the front looks cool.

Quote from when I asked someone what they thought about it

"I think the front is cooler than the back"

Go figure.
To each their own. I'm not talking down to it I'm glad you like it. The performance is insane. Like I said I just have an issue with some of the design cues aside from the grille and I hope it's addressed in the LCI.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2021, 07:38 AM   #201
flexspec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
BMW has definitely stared down the grill haters.

Here's the thing though - most complaining are going on about their love of the older designs and their dislike of the new colours, partnerships with lifestyle brands and hyper aggressive grills.

BMW knows full well the M3 makes its brand. Future generations are giving up on cars. You have to appeal to them to give your brand legs going forward. And they are doing that ten times over - after all they only get to launch a new M3 every 7 years.

The older M buyers can retreat to a M5 or SUV or go back hardcore to a M2. The brand will live on through their hyped up M3 marketing.

And that's why they're smarter than the complainers.
$40 billion dollar international reputable manufacturer does their market research and has professionals who do their jobs...

color me surprised!!!

/s
In the same breath, there are countless examples of failed poor future business planning from what should be considered the smartest people in the room.

It is definitely not lost on me that BMW - in spite of their multi billion dollar marketing/research team are making piss poor decisions.

It is my theory, and the G80 is proof of this, that sometimes creating a vehicle driven by research data results in a horrible and confusing product.

There exists but a few people who can walk into a bar and be immune from the effects of "beer goggles". The longer I look at the G80 it isn't getting any prettier. And my repulsion to its design aesthetics isn't reducing. It's the same in person as it was on screen.
Yes I can acknowledge the updated interior and a ton of other brilliant positives - the headlights make the F8X look outdated already - but it's a balance. It's not all good nor all bad.

It is what it is.