home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-25-2024, 11:47 PM   #1
Feller
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Competition

Garage List
Pops and Burbles on '24 G80 M3

I recently picked up a 2024 G80 M3 Comp and have gone through the break-in within a month and it's been amazing so far. The exhaust is nice even though some sound is coming through the speakers I still enjoy it with the windows down.
I was debating about buying a single non-resonated midpipe with a valve controller as well as it's been a popular option and I like the sound but I wanted to ask if it amplifies the burbles from the stock g80 in person that I'm not hearing on videos because I do want to hear it more. If not what can I do to make them louder because I can barely hear them with music turned and windows down. Would it also burble at higher rpm/speed as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 12:52 AM   #2
christianb5s4
Captain
Rep
Drives: Built 2001 Audi S4

I went single midpipe, and had a valve controller on the list but the midpipe is enough for me. Also plan downpipes so that factors in somewhat.

Recommend starting with the midpipe then you can always add later.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 01:11 AM   #3
Feller
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianb5s4 View Post
I went single midpipe, and had a valve controller on the list but the midpipe is enough for me. Also plan downpipes so that factors in somewhat.

Recommend starting with the midpipe then you can always add later.
In sport plus does the car burble/pop well? Or does it just make the exhaust note deeper?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 02:12 AM   #4
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

The burbles are much louder with a midpipe and sport+ but they're coming from the speaker not the actual exhaust. You probably need a catless downpipe to hear real burbles.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 02:37 AM   #5
CHI2PC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3CX / 2023 Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
The burbles are much louder with a midpipe and sport+ but they're coming from the speaker not the actual exhaust. You probably need a catless downpipe to hear real burbles.
Is this right (that the burbles are only coming from the speaker)? I feel I have seen plenty of Midpipe videos where they are filming from the outside and the exhaust burbles. I could be mistaken and have been thinking about a Midpipe myself, so genuinely curious about whether at least *some* burbles come from the exhaust as opposed to the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 03:30 AM   #6
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

the burbles are definitely not only from the speakers

i have non res mid pipes and race exhaust no muffler, and the burbles are gunshots from the outside

2011 E90 335i xDrive
1996 E36 318i
Appreciate 6
      04-26-2024, 05:57 AM   #7
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21'-x3m40i 23'-m4c 24'-x3mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyShiftG80 View Post
the burbles are definitely not only from the speakers
this...for anyone w/ a non-res mid pipe, just roll the window down. I've got the ER midpipe/nonres and NO controllers - but am very happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 06:10 AM   #8
phillychoi
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 M3, 19 488 Pista

Garage List
I also have MAD single midpipe(non-resonated) with valve controller. Stock muffler, downpipes. I had my buddy drive my M3 the other day and I was driving behind. Plenty of burbles and pops outside. Sounds really nice. Actually it's louder outside than inside.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 10:09 AM   #9
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI2PC View Post
Is this right (that the burbles are only coming from the speaker)? I feel I have seen plenty of Midpipe videos where they are filming from the outside and the exhaust burbles. I could be mistaken and have been thinking about a Midpipe myself, so genuinely curious about whether at least *some* burbles come from the exhaust as opposed to the speakers.
With a single midpipe and stock muffler and downpipes I don't hear any significant burbles from the drivers seat. Sure if I put a camera on the bumper I might hear them but not from the drivers seat mild at best.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 11:21 AM   #10
christianb5s4
Captain
Rep
Drives: Built 2001 Audi S4

Even with a single midpipe, it is still fairly tame relatively speaking. But they are definitely much more audible and it's not just speakers. They tend to be more pronounced between 2-4k rpm and 5-7k.

That said, I went resonated since I will be adding downpipes later.
      04-26-2024, 12:37 PM   #11
Lupeskew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW M4 G83 IOMG

The pops and burbles are noticeably louder. However I would absolutely recommend getting the single midpipe AND a valve controller. Then it really wakes up the sound. Why not get a valve controller. You can have it open 100% or put it in OEM mode and tame the sound. Best mod so far on my car has been an SST valve controller.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2024, 01:46 PM   #12
ItsConnor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 PB M4 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupeskew View Post
The pops and burbles are noticeably louder. However I would absolutely recommend getting the single midpipe AND a valve controller. Then it really wakes up the sound. Why not get a valve controller. You can have it open 100% or put it in OEM mode and tame the sound. Best mod so far on my car has been an SST valve controller.
This basically sums up the thread. Completely agree on every point.
Appreciate 1
Feller0.00
      04-26-2024, 02:59 PM   #13
Feller
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupeskew View Post
I was looking at getting the SST Valve Controller and at its price I will buy it and get it installed.
I'll let you know how I like the sound when I get all the parts installed.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 04:10 PM   #14
TaroBaapG35
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 Model S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feller View Post
I was looking at getting the SST Valve Controller and at its price I will buy it and get it installed.
I'll let you know how I like the sound when I get all the parts installed.
I just installed the SST on my 24 G80 a few days ago. When putting the car in Sport+ with valves open and the exhaust button (center console) on, the sound is deep and you can hear the burbles alot more inside/outside. When the exhaust button off, the fake sound is lessened inside but the exhaust tone stays deep.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 05:54 PM   #15
Antialxx
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor, M3 Comp X-drive

Garage List
I did AA EL midpipe and AA axle back with valve controller. Burbles are very loud and definitely coming from the exhaust. Especially when letting off at 4k RPM.

Can always turn off burbles with center console control too, which is nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 07:03 PM   #16
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
AA unresonated single midpipe with stock downpipes and axleback + SST valve controller. As I've said in other threads, this is the perfect amount for people that don't want drone/rasp but still want a louder sound.

This is the best video I have now but I'll try and take a better one at some point. It's a lot louder when actually driving than this video is doing it justice. ASD is decoded. It's still a *lot* of burbles and pops and the high end.

Appreciate 1
Feller0.00
      04-26-2024, 09:54 PM   #17
Feller
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
AA unresonated single midpipe with stock downpipes and axleback + SST valve controller. As I've said in other threads, this is the perfect amount for people that don't want drone/rasp but still want a louder sound.

This is the best video I have now but I'll try and take a better one at some point. It's a lot louder when actually driving than this video is doing it justice. ASD is decoded. It's still a *lot* of burbles and pops and the high end.

That is exactly the sound I'm looking to get, would love to see some videos of flybys or while driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 02:12 AM   #18
M3_V8_PWR
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

I think the ER Midpipe with factory exhaust and stock downpipes sounds really good and can defiantly hear burbles in Sport+
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 12:13 AM   #19
specced
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaroBaapG35 View Post
I just installed the SST on my 24 G80 a few days ago. When putting the car in Sport+ with valves open and the exhaust button (center console) on, the sound is deep and you can hear the burbles alot more inside/outside. When the exhaust button off, the fake sound is lessened inside but the exhaust tone stays deep.
do you have the stock exhaust still? I have a sst valve controller but haven't installed it yet was gonna do it once I can decide on an exhaust setup. But if it makes a difference even on the stock exhaust i might throw it on tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 09:42 AM   #20
TaroBaapG35
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 Model S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by specced View Post
do you have the stock exhaust still? I have a sst valve controller but haven't installed it yet was gonna do it once I can decide on an exhaust setup. But if it makes a difference even on the stock exhaust i might throw it on tomorrow.
Yes I do have the stock exhaust. When you put the car In sport+, and hear the valves open (stock controller), that's 75%iish open and it sounds good ( at a stop in Park/Neutral) but once you start moving the valves close up a bit more. WIth the SST you open it 100% all the time so it's def louder. I use sport +, with the exhaust button on and valves open and I love the sound (for now). A bit droney because of ASD possibly, but I am content.

Note that there is still the added noise with the ASD that comes through, but for the price of the controller it's worth it. Next step would be of course disable ASD and add Midpipe.

I'll post a stock vs sst video once my breakin service is done on Tuesday.
Appreciate 1
Bur4k52.00
      04-28-2024, 02:51 PM   #21
specced
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaroBaapG35 View Post
Yes I do have the stock exhaust. When you put the car In sport+, and hear the valves open (stock controller), that's 75%iish open and it sounds good ( at a stop in Park/Neutral) but once you start moving the valves close up a bit more. WIth the SST you open it 100% all the time so it's def louder. I use sport +, with the exhaust button on and valves open and I love the sound (for now). A bit droney because of ASD possibly, but I am content.

Note that there is still the added noise with the ASD that comes through, but for the price of the controller it's worth it. Next step would be of course disable ASD and add Midpipe.

I'll post a stock vs sst video once my breakin service is done on Tuesday.
I installed mine today. Surprised how much of a difference it makes. Exhaust is totally audible now in open mode. The controller is dinky but I paired it to homelink. I definetly wanna turn off the asd and burbles and then add a single midpipe.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2024, 09:46 PM   #22
cozye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp - 328ix (hers)

When you code the ASD off, you’re going to be surprised how quiet it is, even with the valve controller. 80% of what you are hearing is fake. edit.. specific for the SST on stock exhaust comments..not OP or midpipe mod guys..
Appreciate 0