01-18-2022, 12:47 PM   #111
M3JetPilot
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
This all could have been avoided if BMW hadn't decided to put two massive, irregular shaped holes in the front of their car. Whether a fan of the new grill, trying to get use to it, modifying it or eventually planning on using a full front end replacement, there is one inescapable fact. We are all dealing with a design no BMW fan imagined, considered or even wanted prior to its introduction. Let's all hope this isn't the long term future of an iconic brand.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 01:18 PM   #112
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Vorsteiner always is a little ricey for my particular tastes BUT this grille is very cool. Also, because I haven't loved any other CF lip, I may consider this one as well. I would certainly consider the grille but would need to see it in person.

Can we have pictures of the protective mesh that has been described? I can just imagine the collection of leaves I will have by the end of fall in the large holes.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25196.50
AlexFL7842.50
Seedster2294.00
      01-18-2022, 01:19 PM   #113
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice31 View Post
That rear spoiler tho
+1
Now I have to contemplate if I want to shell out $2k+ for that piece.
Appreciate 1
ice31145.50
      01-18-2022, 01:30 PM   #114
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3JetPilot View Post
This all could have been avoided if BMW hadn't decided to put two massive, irregular shaped holes in the front of their car. Whether a fan of the new grill, trying to get use to it, modifying it or eventually planning on using a full front end replacement, there is one inescapable fact. We are all dealing with a design no BMW fan imagined, considered or even wanted prior to its introduction. Let's all hope this isn't the long term future of an iconic brand.
I strongly suggest you speak in the first person. You certainly don't speak for many of us. Some of us DID in fact want a substantial differentiation from the base models or the "M Light" models.

Many of us (maybe even most of us at this point - 16 months post reveal) like the way this car looks. Many of us would be very happy if this design is the (let me make sure I'm reading this correctly) "long term future of an iconic brand."

I'm sorry you don't like it. The only inescapable facts here are that 1. your opinion is as subjective as mine, and 2. the car is selling.
Appreciate 6
Sedan_Clan25196.50
DimM3302.00
bri10426060.00
Salespunk1745.00
Tyga113256.00
      01-18-2022, 01:52 PM   #115
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Vorsteiner always is a little ricey for my particular tastes BUT this grille is very cool. Also, because I haven't loved any other CF lip, I may consider this one as well. I would certainly consider the grille but would need to see it in person.

Can we have pictures of the protective mesh that has been described? I can just imagine the collection of leaves I will have by the end of fall in the large holes.
If you haven't seen one in person by the time I got mine installed, I'm sure we could meet up I'm around Hicksville often.

I'm hoping there's something that can be fabricated for the gaping holes.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2022, 02:07 PM   #116
faze2988
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
If you haven't seen one in person by the time I got mine installed, I'm sure we could meet up I'm around Hicksville often.

Hicksville LI? Just moved from there to east meadow
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 02:12 PM   #117
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by faze2988 View Post
Quote:

Hicksville LI? Just moved from there to east meadow
Yes, in Long Island. I'm shamefully there primarily for Chick-fil-A When my wife and I have a hankering for some good chicken sandwiches, we go there
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 02:14 PM   #118
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

Fixed it! You're welcome Vorsteiner.

Remix

Original

OEM
Appreciate 3
AGAV13807.50
Limegrntaln13569.50
      01-18-2022, 03:01 PM   #119
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I will be there bro! Thank you for the offer!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 03:04 PM   #120
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

The stats overall for the G80 are undeniable!!!
However... So is the extremely controversial front end. Which for me personally, is a No Go. Fortunately, Vorsteiner has stepped up to offer a redesign that still emcompases the design but improves it significantly!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 03:14 PM   #121
Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3

Looks good.

But the CSL version looks 1000x better. Waiting for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 03:38 PM   #122
M3JetPilot
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I strongly suggest you speak in the first person. You certainly don't speak for many of us. Some of us DID in fact want a substantial differentiation from the base models or the "M Light" models.

Many of us (maybe even most of us at this point - 16 months post reveal) like the way this car looks. Many of us would be very happy if this design is the (let me make sure I'm reading this correctly) "long term future of an iconic brand."

I'm sorry you don't like it. The only inescapable facts here are that 1. your opinion is as subjective as mine, and 2. the car is selling.
frankiebones, I'm not trying to speak for everyone's opinion on the design, so no need to strongly suggest how I should speak. I'm just stating an obvious fact that no one anticipated this radical of a change. I'm also not saying anything about the desire on the part of some to have some greater amount of difference in the M cars. The fact is there is no render or imagination of the G80 prior to the spy shots that came anywhere close to this.

When you first saw the G80 weren't you surprised? Just a little? Maybe a good surprised for you but still surprised. I don't know any BMW fan who anticipated that the next move for their M models would be to triple the height of the grill. If that's what you honestly thought would happen then I would love to read how you came to that conclusion.

As for sales, that's irrelevant. Lots of horribly designed cars sell at a much faster clip than BMW cars. In addition, people over time tend to get use to a design and buy into it, even if it's bad. Take Lexus for example. In my opinion their vehicles are a train wreck, and not just because of their grills. Still, they sell tons of cars.

Would love to hear your thoughts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-18-2022, 04:00 PM   #123
ice31
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice31 View Post
That rear spoiler tho
+1
Now I have to contemplate if I want to shell out $2k+ for that piece.
It's quite expensive tbh, and probably unjustifiable expense.
But God does it look beautifully
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 04:06 PM   #124
ice31
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3 3.0i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

frankiebones, I'm not trying to speak for everyone's opinion on the design, so no need to strongly suggest how I should speak. I'm just stating an obvious fact that no one anticipated this radical of a change. I'm also not saying anything about the desire on the part of some to have some greater amount of difference in the M cars. The fact is there is no render or imagination of the G80 prior to the spy shots that came anywhere close to this.

When you first saw the G80 weren't you surprised? Just a little? Maybe a good surprised for you but still surprised. I don't know any BMW fan who anticipated that the next move for their M models would be to triple the height of the grill. If that's what you honestly thought would happen then I would love to read how you came to that conclusion.

As for sales, that's irrelevant. Lots of horribly designed cars sell at a much faster clip than BMW cars. In addition, people over time tend to get use to a design and buy into it, even if it's bad. Take Lexus for example. In my opinion their vehicles are a train wreck, and not just because of their grills. Still, they sell tons of cars.

I hate the front end from day one. Still hate it and will always hate it. I thought it would grow on me over time like many designs in the past, but it just hasn't.
The front end with these huge, pointless grills is just disproportional.
Too bad they invested their time and money into r&d for this grill and didn't fix the biggest issue of the grill, which is it's size. Especially if you take in the fact that the rest of the mods/parts are beautiful...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 05:19 PM   #125
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressoo View Post
I like these both over the OEM.

something weird about the way the bumper curves up though that still doesn't sit right with me. it's not just the beavertooth grille. it's how it the lower lip sort of ignores the grille and has its own bizarre lines.

I am curious what the vorsteiner grille looks like with the honeycomb mesh from the lower opening throughout.
      01-18-2022, 06:58 PM   #126
WATCHMY6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Quote:
Quote:

I just ordered mine… I'm in Merrick
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 07:41 PM   #127
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
When you first saw the G80 weren't you surprised? Just a little?
Not really. The massive kidneys didn't start with the M3. IIRC, the enlarging began with the 7 and then the X7. It was just a matter of time before that design language seeped down into the 3 series. I get the resistance to the new design but bmw is in the business of selling cars and they want to attract new buyers in new markets and new demographics. Catering to the same 50+ yr old men who bought them for the last 3 decades isn't the answer to that. Time to move on.
Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50
      01-18-2022, 08:07 PM   #128
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Sorry! Not the answer! The rear wing looks quite interesting!
      01-18-2022, 09:00 PM   #129
M3JetPilot
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
Quote:
When you first saw the G80 weren't you surprised? Just a little?
Not really. The massive kidneys didn't start with the M3. IIRC, the enlarging began with the 7 and then the X7. It was just a matter of time before that design language seeped down into the 3 series. I get the resistance to the new design but bmw is in the business of selling cars and they want to attract new buyers in new markets and new demographics. Catering to the same 50+ yr old men who bought them for the last 3 decades isn't the answer to that. Time to move on.
Yes, to Porsche 😁
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2022, 09:38 PM   #130
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Love Lexus. Beautiful cars!!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 05:01 AM   #131
MalibuM3
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 6MT

No thanks
2005 BMW Z4 E85
1967 Volkswagen Bug
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 07:39 AM   #132
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Yes, to Porsche 😁
If I could get a C4S for $100k I would be right there with you. I just configured one with similar spec to my M3 and it came to $140k MSRP. Which is about $50k more than what I paid for my car. Maybe next car purchase
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00