BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

07-25-2023, 03:08 AM   #23
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Have you driven a CS/CSL?

The performance gap between G80 Comp and CS is bigger than the one between Comp and 992 GTS. GTS at $180-190k with ADM is a pointless “upgrade” over a literally half-price G80. Spend $30k more and get a 992 Turbo, minimum. That is an actual upgrade.

GTS is really poor value this gen.
This is good analysis. Better yet, you could spend 10K worth of mods (KW V4s, front monoball, rear race toe arms, custom 93 octane tune, cup 2 tyres) on the Comp and it will handle as good as a stock 992 GTS, straight line no contest
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4261.50
      08-13-2023, 06:25 AM   #24
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I'm in the middle of looking for my next money pit, and I've been looking at 911s for a few years, now. I don't think there is anything under a GTS that I would get, if I already owned a G8X. I don't ever look at, or compare anything when it comes to the GT4. All I know, is, its not a 911.

I'm sure its a plenty capable car, but, to me, its like 340i owners telling us they have M cars. Of course, nothing to bash on people that own them, this is solely based on how I personally see the car.
Have you located the next money pit yet? Haven't been keeping up with this form.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      08-13-2023, 02:19 PM   #25
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by edofloat View Post
Have you located the next money pit yet? Haven't been keeping up with this form.
It seems like the only thing worse than my G82, would be a Model S Plaid. Those seem to crash in an even more spectacular fashion, than my G82. However, I can get rid of both my cars, and just get a Model SP, and be all in for about $1,500-$1,700 a month, including fuel.

Which is currently costing me about $600 a month. So, drive a 1020hp car for $1,500 a month cheaper than both of my cars, cost, together, now.

Not to mention, my G82 insurance increases every quarter by $30-$50. People can't stop wrecking them.

Biggest issue would be putting about 30-35,000 miles a year on it, like I do my commuter.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 07:24 PM   #26
edofloat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It seems like the only thing worse than my G82, would be a Model S Plaid. Those seem to crash in an even more spectacular fashion, than my G82. However, I can get rid of both my cars, and just get a Model SP, and be all in for about $1,500-$1,700 a month, including fuel.

Which is currently costing me about $600 a month. So, drive a 1020hp car for $1,500 a month cheaper than both of my cars, cost, together, now.

Not to mention, my G82 insurance increases every quarter by $30-$50. People can't stop wrecking them.

Biggest issue would be putting about 30-35,000 miles a year on it, like I do my commuter.
I have been seeing a few two-year-old S Plaid cars with 20-30k miles for half price.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      08-13-2023, 07:27 PM   #27
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have been seeing a few two-year-old S Plaid cars with 20-30k miles for half price.
I have a hard time buying someone else’s problems. That’s my only issue. The chances someone took care of the paint like I’m going to take care of it, are slim to none. I’ve seen a few dozen used one, online, and they look like rentals inside. I’m kind of waiting to see if and when the CCBs are going to be available from the factory as well. Not wanting to pay $15k for the upgrade. The car definitely needs CCBs. Especially how I like to drive.

Appreciate 2
Jim B1895.00
      08-14-2023, 01:33 AM   #28
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
I have a hard time buying someone else’s problems. That’s my only issue. The chances someone took care of the paint like I’m going to take care of it, are slim to none. I’ve seen a few dozen used one, online, and they look like rentals inside. I’m kind of waiting to see if and when the CCBs are going to be available from the factory as well. Not wanting to pay $15k for the upgrade. The car definitely needs CCBs. Especially how I like to drive.
What about a Lucid?
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      08-14-2023, 09:45 AM   #29
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
What about a Lucid?
It’s an option, but, for the money, and having to rely on a standard charging network, is mostly a no-go. Did Lucid jump on board, with Teslas charging network, yet?

I mean, I’d mostly be charging at home. But I don’t want to be tethered to my neck of the woods. I live far enough out, that a trip to any stadium in the Bay Area, would probably require me to plug in, down that way.

And P, you know I have “I like the top of the line itis.” Now that the Sapphire is out, I’d want one. But that’s 911 turbo money. I’ll stay in my lane at $100-$140k.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 10:28 AM   #30
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
It’s an option, but, for the money, and having to rely on a standard charging network, is mostly a no-go. Did Lucid jump on board, with Teslas charging network, yet?

I mean, I’d mostly be charging at home. But I don’t want to be tethered to my neck of the woods. I live far enough out, that a trip to any stadium in the Bay Area, would probably require me to plug in, down that way.

And P, you know I have “I like the top of the line itis.” Now that the Sapphire is out, I’d want one. But that’s 911 turbo money. I’ll stay in my lane at $100-$140k.
I'd avoid Lucid for now. They are hemmoraging cash at the moment, throwing discounts on new orders and deeper discounts on inventory.

Buddy of mine who is a HUGE EV fan (and petrolhead as well, as a 992 GT3RS he's picking up in a few weeks but has a Taycan Turbo that's he's tracked at Laguna and Thunderhill) went to check one out at an MB dealer. Used Air Dream. Had like 3,000 miles. He said it was WAY worse than even his early Model S's (he's owned 3, plus 3 X's [one lemoned] a Model 3 and a Model Y). Said crap was falling off, stuff didn't work, etc. Plus...it's not really very good looking.

And it charges like crap. I don't care what the magazines say, watch Kyle Connor's exploit's with his dad's Air Grand Touring. First of all, it surges BADLY on the EA Cignet chargers. Second, the curve is just super peaky. As bad as Tesla if not worse. He and some buddies just did a race to Vegas from Denver area and back in a Lucid, Plaid and Taycan. The Taycan is the champ of CCS charging. That thing stays high DEEP into the charge. Like 150 kw at 80% high.

So yeah...no Lucid for me, thanks.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      08-14-2023, 10:40 AM   #31
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I'd avoid Lucid for now. They are hemmoraging cash at the moment, throwing discounts on new orders and deeper discounts on inventory.

Buddy of mine who is a HUGE EV fan (and petrolhead as well, as a 992 GT3RS he's picking up in a few weeks but has a Taycan Turbo that's he's tracked at Laguna and Thunderhill) went to check one out at an MB dealer. Used Air Dream. Had like 3,000 miles. He said it was WAY worse than even his early Model S's (he's owned 3, plus 3 X's [one lemoned] a Model 3 and a Model Y). Said crap was falling off, stuff didn't work, etc. Plus...it's not really very good looking.

And it charges like crap. I don't care what the magazines say, watch Kyle Connor's exploit's with his dad's Air Grand Touring. First of all, it surges BADLY on the EA Cignet chargers. Second, the curve is just super peaky. As bad as Tesla if not worse. He and some buddies just did a race to Vegas from Denver area and back in a Lucid, Plaid and Taycan. The Taycan is the champ of CCS charging. That thing stays high DEEP into the charge. Like 150 kw at 80% high.

So yeah...no Lucid for me, thanks.
I saw some of that watching the Out of Spec YouTube channel, and I do remember thinking that it wasn't up to what I was looking for. He eluded to the fact that some of the software didn't even work.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 06:16 PM   #32
edofloat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Maybe if you find one with a decent interior you can just wrap it if the paint isn't perfect. Might be worth it if you can save $60k+. Then you will have a good amount of money to mod the hell out of the next car.

Honestly, I don't pay close attention to Tesla, but your bad influence on people here (including myself + yourself) what the hell would you mod on a plaid?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      08-16-2023, 11:00 PM   #33
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe if you find one with a decent interior you can just wrap it if the paint isn't perfect. Might be worth it if you can save $60k+. Then you will have a good amount of money to mod the hell out of the next car.

Honestly, I don't pay close attention to Tesla, but your bad influence on people here (including myself + yourself) what the hell would you mod on a plaid?
Absolutely nothing. 9.20s stock. I’d just drive it with a warranty. Silent and fast.

Appreciate 1
Vic5519365.00
      08-17-2023, 09:56 AM   #34
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Absolutely nothing. 9.20s stock. I’d just drive it with a warranty. Silent and fast.
well there are things you can and should do:

Lowering links
Wheels
and if you have the yoke dump it and get the full wheel or an aftermarket

the 22 speaker set up is pretty good for noise LOL.

I am still enjoying mine. I use trackmode religiously as it has dialed in the dampers and tq vectoring to create less understeer and reduced air suspension compression and rebound. I can clearly tell the difference vs the standard aggressive suspension setup. The turn in is quicker and the steering is indeed better in regards to feel and response. Its still a 4800lb fatso so the expectations are limited and understood. Its got some cool manual tricks like changing the front and rear tq distribution to make for a more aggressive driving set up. The brakes are still in need of fixing but I know when to say when.

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      08-17-2023, 09:44 PM   #35
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
well there are things you can and should do:

Lowering links
Wheels
and if you have the yoke dump it and get the full wheel or an aftermarket

the 22 speaker set up is pretty good for noise LOL.

I am still enjoying mine. I use trackmode religiously as it has dialed in the dampers and tq vectoring to create less understeer and reduced air suspension compression and rebound. I can clearly tell the difference vs the standard aggressive suspension setup. The turn in is quicker and the steering is indeed better in regards to feel and response. Its still a 4800lb fatso so the expectations are limited and understood. Its got some cool manual tricks like changing the front and rear tq distribution to make for a more aggressive driving set up. The brakes are still in need of fixing but I know when to say when.

It’s time for those CCBs. I hear the track tuning with the CCBs is really good. Mischa drive one with the Tesla CCBs and Track package and said he needed to apologize to Tesla. It sounds pretty legit.

Appreciate 1
Vic5519365.00
      08-18-2023, 09:03 AM   #36
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
It’s time for those CCBs. I hear the track tuning with the CCBs is really good. Mischa drive one with the Tesla CCBs and Track package and said he needed to apologize to Tesla. It sounds pretty legit.
I just wont brake .... LOL

I dont think this going to be with much longer so no need to dump 15k into it when its already market soft.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      08-18-2023, 08:48 PM   #37
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I dont think this going to be with much longer so no need to dump 15k into it when its already market soft.
Yeah, the market is nuts on these. No thanks to Tesla, themselves.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 12:16 PM   #38
edofloat
Captain
Rep

Quote:

↑↑ Seller ↑↑ + ↓↓ Buyer ↓↓

Quote:
Yeah, the market is nuts on these. No thanks to Tesla, themselves.
Appreciate 1
Vic5519365.00
      08-24-2023, 09:39 AM   #39
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
So I agree on that, but I think your M340i vs. M comparison is a TAD harsh. I view it as more like M2 owners saying "this is just as good as an M4".
Well, now it's the same powertrain, tranny and suspension...and even close in weight. Even the bucket seats and carbon roof are available for the M2. But it's smaller and a tad more frisky.

So, some say the M2 is better.

Just sayin'...
Appreciate 0