BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

12-25-2021, 07:38 PM   #1
Lexura
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Jahre Edition

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 Jahre  [9.50]
2022 BMW X5M   [0.00]
M3 xDrive vs Model 3 Performance vs RS5 Sportback race

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
      12-26-2021, 12:09 AM   #2
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexura View Post
I wouldn't consider a Model 3 Perf even if it eventually managed to be faster than an M xDrive car. For all the reasons that have been hashed before (handling, build quality, etc), but also because it's safer to drive a louder car.

People pay attention when they hear a louder car approaching from behind and don't do unexpected lane changes. And often get out of the way too.

Pull up in a Model 3 and you might as well have appeared out of nowhere.
      12-27-2021, 01:49 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Tesla Model 3 has its fair share of fans. Yet for all the reasons mentioned earlier, an iPad with electric motors in an environment where presence of a human driver is an afterthought compels the rest of us to look elsewhere for an EV. Regardless of how quickly one can reach the next Starbucks and get a refill.
Appreciate 5
      12-27-2021, 01:57 PM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I'd take the M3P here.
      12-27-2021, 02:09 PM   #5
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexura View Post
I wouldn't consider a Model 3 Perf even if it eventually managed to be faster than an M xDrive car. For all the reasons that have been hashed before (handling, build quality, etc), but also because it's safer to drive a louder car.

People pay attention when they hear a louder car approaching from behind and don't do unexpected lane changes. And often get out of the way too.

I had my model 3 performance for 1 month before I said "fuck this thing" and put in an order for my AWD M3. You are right, no one really hears you when you pull up which is sketchy. All juice basically dies around 60-70 mph, so the thrill of the car only exists from a standstill. But the sketchiest part of the car is that it is basically run by a tablet which has reliability of a budget Amazon firepad rather than a polished, meticulously tested iPad. When that sucker blacks out, which it has for me several times, you basically have no idea what's going on in your car and you're driving blind. Electric is certainly the future, but Tesla sure as hell ain't there yet.
Appreciate 20
DavidXJ663.00
Germanauto9698.00
kjx3189.50
Swappy531.50
AlexFL7834.00
EXE462100.00
pz6193277.00
bmwdrive461.00
manuelf347.50
heavyD^23688.50
PABrian149.50
M3 boi3211.00
      12-27-2021, 02:12 PM   #6
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

M3 looks so bad ass in comparison to the electric golf cart here. Wide bulging muscles, quad exhausts, raucous noise.

I'll take all that over an iPad on wheels whose balls never dropped.
Appreciate 6
AlexFL7834.00
EXE462100.00
      12-27-2021, 03:03 PM   #7
Drj161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 e53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
M3 looks so bad ass in comparison to the electric golf cart here. Wide bulging muscles, quad exhausts, raucous noise.

Hey man. Is it possible if you can post your m3/4 render with 2gc grills? That thing was a beauty and that's the design we deserve
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 03:12 PM   #8
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drj161 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post

Hey man. Is it possible if you can post your m3/4 render with 2gc grills? That thing was a beauty and that's the design we deserve
Never gonna happen man, after a few years everyone will get rid of their old style front end cars and buy into the new Uber cool looking beaver teeth… 😜 Same thing happened with Audi!
Appreciate 1
manuelf347.50
      12-27-2021, 03:48 PM   #9
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:

Yes, I think everyone on the highway can hear your ASD from a mile away.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i

Last edited by adc; 12-27-2021 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      12-27-2021, 04:20 PM   #10
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:

This is not a problem with EVs, this is you driving recklessnessly on public roads. Take it to a track where people are actually racing you and not taking their kids to school.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 04:23 PM   #11
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Quote:

This is not a problem with EVs, this is you driving recklessnessly on public roads. Take it to a track where people are actually racing you and not taking their kids to school.
Tries to offend poster.
Says "recklessnessly".

Backfires.
Appreciate 6
kjx3189.50
ottm354.00
      12-27-2021, 04:24 PM   #12
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
At this point Elon should hostile takeover BMW or MB or both then suck all the know how out of them.
Nah. Apple should buy Tesla, BMW and Coca-Cola and come out with a next generation pourable, carbonated, large-nostril iWatch on wheels.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 04:45 PM   #13
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Did my dismissal of the Model 3 (and its Perf variant) rub you the wrong way?

By extension of your logic, electric cars shouldn't have that artificial noise at low speeds then because surely pedestrians can't be absent-minded right? It's those reckless electric car owners that need nannies. /s

Noise that catches people's attention and causes them to be alert = good for safety. Even with zero recklessness (on the part of the car generating the noise) in the picture.
      12-27-2021, 06:29 PM   #14
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:
At this point Elon should hostile takeover BMW or MB or both then suck all the know how out of them.
Nah. Apple should buy Tesla, BMW and Coca-Cola and come out with a next generation pourable, carbonated, large-nostril iWatch on wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 11:16 PM   #15
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

I am curious guys, but do most Tesla buyers even know what an M3 is or care? or did any of the M3 owners really cross shop a Tesla and an M3?

maybe it's just me but I honestly don't see the point of hundreds of 0-60 YouTube clips and the fascination with them on the internet forums. What do we learn from these really besides gifting clicks to the video poster ? I have had 3 M cars and never cared what the 0-60 was....
PABrian149.50
      12-28-2021, 01:29 AM   #16
wdskukm3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 and Model P3D

I have both the Model 3 Performance and the M3. Both have their advantages. I know this is a BMW enthusiast forum so The Tesla will take the hit here. I for one love driving both of them.
      12-28-2021, 02:22 AM   #17
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster20d View Post
I am curious guys, but do most Tesla buyers even know what an M3 is or care? or did any of the M3 owners really cross shop a Tesla and an M3?

maybe it's just me but I honestly don't see the point of hundreds of 0-60 YouTube clips and the fascination with them on the internet forums. What do we learn from these really besides gifting clicks to the video poster ? I have had 3 M cars and never cared what the 0-60 was....
I have an M2C and have a pre-order down for an M3P (keeping the M2 for fun/track).

So yes, there are, but mostly out of curiosity. The reality is the M3/4 xDrive with the spec I would want is significantly more expensive then a M3P (add to that the cost of fuel). So while I find the videos interesting, they aren't really in the same price bracket anyway. That makes the comparison even more interesting in some respect that the M3P has the performance it does for the price it is.

They warrant comparison because they achieve a similar goal (fast and practical/family car), 'ready' (with changes) to have some fun on track, almost the same price bracket etc. Elon mask even made his statement on how MP3 was better than an M3 (last gen), so comparisons are investable moving forward.

While I would say the M3/M4 is perhaps the objectively better car, the Tesla is a better suited daily driver for me. No doubt others feel the same so like me are intrigued by the comparisons.
Appreciate 2
      12-28-2021, 02:25 AM   #18
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

By extension of your logic, electric cars shouldn't have that artificial noise at low speeds then because surely pedestrians can't be absent-minded right? It's those reckless electric car owners that need nannies. /s

Noise that catches people's attention and causes them to be alert = good for safety. Even with zero recklessness (on the part of the car generating the noise) in the picture.
I think his point was based on your statement "People pay attention when they hear a louder car approaching from behind and don't do unexpected lane changes. And often get out of the way too."

That just reads to me "I drive like a **** on public roads and scream up behind people but with a loud car they get out of my way". I could be wrong, but there are quite a few people like that on the road that give BMW drivers a bad name. That's what the track is for
Appreciate 2
JustChris17483.00
      12-28-2021, 02:26 AM   #19
claudiumxg
Germany
Rep
Drives: x1 23d, 120d, Evo,STi,TT,....

Hi, i have a 2022 model 3 performance and a 2021 x4m, tesla has no competitor for its price and does lots of thing way better . Till bmw does a proper electric( not the i40 50m) i wont buy any Bmw cars anymore ( after 20 years of Bmw). I already got on the list for a model Y performance to replace the x4m.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 02:33 AM   #20
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:

Yes, I think everyone on the highway can hear your ASD from a mile away.
      12-28-2021, 02:36 AM   #21
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I think his point was based on your statement "People pay attention when they hear a louder car approaching from behind and don't do unexpected lane changes. And often get out of the way too."

That just reads to me "I drive like a **** on public roads and scream up behind people but with a loud car they get out of my way". I could be wrong, but there are quite a few people like that on the road that give BMW drivers a bad name. That's what the track is for
Sounds like a 17 kid.

Racecar
Cos noisy
Cos people notice me
Cos people get out of the way

I've owned 3 M cars and can confirm no one gets out of the way thinking "damn that guys so cool I'd better move over"

Planet dream.
      12-28-2021, 02:38 AM   #22
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like a 17 kid.

Racecar
Cos noisy
Cos people notice me
Cos people get out of the way

I've owned 3 M cars and can confirm no one gets out of the way thinking "damn that guys so cool I'd better move over"

Planet dream.
True. Even with an aftermarket exhaust on my M2 I think most people go "ha! I'm going to drive slower and p*** him off"
Appreciate 0