BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

11-22-2023, 03:26 AM   #1
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

Exclamation Rear Axle Differential Lock Limited

A few hours ago I got in my 2022 M3CX (with 8500 miles) to drive home and as soon as I turned the car on, I got a bunch of back to back errors and warnings. All the errors were gone once I shut off the car and then turned it back on.
  • Rear axle differential lock limited.
  • Reduced driver assistance.
  • Support from driver assistance restricted.

The BMW app currently says:
  • Urgent driving dynamics check up: The rear axle differential lock of your vehicle is malfunctioning. Driving stability is limited when driving sportily. Please drive moderately.
  • Driving dynamics check up: The 4x4-system of your vehicle is malfunctioning. Handling and drive power may be affected. It is possible to continue driving.

I've seen posts from others who have had similar errors, but I am not sure if anyone knows what exactly the issue is. Is this a case of bad sensor data, software glitch, etc or is this a more serious issue that the dealer needs to deal with it? With the Thanksgiving holiday upon us, I have quite a bit of driving to do and not sure if I can get any of the local dealers to take the car in on short notice.

I've had a few issues with the car that may or may not be related:
  • At low speeds when I turn the wheel all the way to the left or right I feel\hear something engaging or disengaging from the wheels or the 4x4 system. It's tough to explain.
  • I've been having issues with the PDC interfering too much and stalling the car when pulling into my garage.

Any ideas?
2015 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 11:56 PM   #2
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVC View Post
A few hours ago I got in my 2022 M3CX (with 8500 miles) to drive home and as soon as I turned the car on, I got a bunch of back to back errors and warnings. All the errors were gone once I shut off the car and then turned it back on.
  • Rear axle differential lock limited.
  • Reduced driver assistance.
  • Support from driver assistance restricted.

The BMW app currently says:
  • Urgent driving dynamics check up: The rear axle differential lock of your vehicle is malfunctioning. Driving stability is limited when driving sportily. Please drive moderately.
  • Driving dynamics check up: The 4x4-system of your vehicle is malfunctioning. Handling and drive power may be affected. It is possible to continue driving.

I've seen posts from others who have had similar errors, but I am not sure if anyone knows what exactly the issue is. Is this a case of bad sensor data, software glitch, etc or is this a more serious issue that the dealer needs to deal with it? With the Thanksgiving holiday upon us, I have quite a bit of driving to do and not sure if I can get any of the local dealers to take the car in on short notice.

I've had a few issues with the car that may or may not be related:
  • At low speeds when I turn the wheel all the way to the left or right I feel\hear something engaging or disengaging from the wheels or the 4x4 system. It's tough to explain.
  • I've been having issues with the PDC interfering too much and stalling the car when pulling into my garage.

Any ideas?

Not sure but one of your symptoms "At low speeds when I turn the wheel all the way to the left or right I feel\hear something engaging or disengaging from the wheels or the 4x4 system. It's tough to explain."

That sounds like something with the transfer case. Does the car jerk when doing this?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 01:22 AM   #3
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgz View Post
Not sure but one of your symptoms "At low speeds when I turn the wheel all the way to the left or right I feel\hear something engaging or disengaging from the wheels or the 4x4 system. It's tough to explain."

That sounds like something with the transfer case. Does the car jerk when doing this?
It's somewhat subtle. Feels kind of like changing gears in a manual car. At any rate, the dealer inspected it and told me they didn't find any issues. They just recalibrated and cleared the error codes.
2015 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 12:37 PM   #4
christianb5s4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Built 2001 Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVC View Post
It's somewhat subtle. Feels kind of like changing gears in a manual car. At any rate, the dealer inspected it and told me they didn't find any issues. They just recalibrated and cleared the error codes.
Some of that is normal, particularly when turning tightly at low speeds. It's called the Ackermann effect and it's common on many AWD systems, like BMW and Audi.
PVC154.50
      11-30-2023, 12:46 PM   #5
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianb5s4 View Post
Some of that is normal, particularly when turning tightly at low speeds. It's called the Ackermann effect and it's common on many AWD systems, like BMW and Audi.
oh did not know that.

My X3M never did that, and its pretty much the same driveline.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 11:10 PM   #6
Adler11th
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Strange but I get similar feeling in rwd car, in low speed, let’s say pulling out of parking spot, before wheel turns further to max angle, there is faint feel that something engages. Since it’s my first m car I was thinking that it’s just what it does. Would be great if some one could shed more light on what is going on mechanically. Btw got it new, currently 1.5 k miles, I noticed this behavior from brand new.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 02:38 PM   #7
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (G82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adler11th View Post
Strange but I get similar feeling in rwd car, in low speed, let’s say pulling out of parking spot, before wheel turns further to max angle, there is faint feel that something engages. Since it’s my first m car I was thinking that it’s just what it does. Would be great if some one could shed more light on what is going on mechanically. Btw got it new, currently 1.5 k miles, I noticed this behavior from brand new.
I have a similar issue that seems to have gotten worse over time. It seems most obvious when the car is cold, and I only notice when turning to the right. My car is a manual, I hear this clunk noise as I let out the clutch. Just dropped it off at service department....
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 11:59 AM   #8
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

So SA got me an update.

1) the CF5573 code/fault is for communication. They are updating the software for it which should resolve it.

2) the binding effect, the SA said that X5 and some other models have a service bulletin that requests to use a different type of Tcase fluid. Although that SB doesnt call out the M3 or M4..... they have done this fix on other M3/M4 and it has fixed the issue. SA told me to drive it for 300 miles or so, if it still happens then they will contact BMW NA to look at it further. He said several cars have come in for this and they have only had to replace ONE Tcase; Others have had resolution with the SB fix.

SIB 20 02 20 Calls out several cars, including the M5 which uses the same Tcase so makes sense.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...76367-9999.pdf

SITUATION
There is a jerking or shuddering during either or both of the following:
Cornering or accelerating from low speeds
Driving with low to medium loads
There are no warning lights or Check Control messages.

CAUSE
Unevenly worn or incorrect fitment tires are installed on the vehicle, or the factory-filled transfer case oil
does not meet BMW specifications.

Last edited by Dawgz; 12-22-2023 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
PVC154.50
      12-23-2023, 08:05 PM   #9
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Picked up the car from the dealership yesterday, drove it for 150 miles so far and have had tried to replicate the issue again and I cannot. Even on when the car is cold.

Hopefully this is also the fix for everyone else!
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2024, 04:24 PM   #10
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (G82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimab0 View Post
I have a similar issue that seems to have gotten worse over time. It seems most obvious when the car is cold, and I only notice when turning to the right. My car is a manual, I hear this clunk noise as I let out the clutch. Just dropped it off at service department....
I convinced the dealer to change the rear differential fluid. So far I think that has resolved all of my clunking noises. The car has about 30k miles on it.
Appreciate 0