Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-21-2022, 10:08 AM   #45
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW G80 IOMG M3 MANUAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by safridi View Post
I have the vt mid pipe already and its barely noticeable inside the car. Even in sport mode theres only minor burbles at the very end of the rev. It shines above 5k but again this car has so much engine sound that it envelopes the "added" exhaust sound from the midpipe. Ive been told it sounds amazing from outside though….so your welcome everyone lol……just had to vent that out.
Yeah I've heard from multiple people the sound is most noticeable from outside for others to enjoy. I think ASD has a lot to do with drowning out the outside noise which I plan on coding out. Also the cars have so much more insulation than they used to even in the M3 that it takes away from the sound. This is why I keep hammering on if an exhaust I'm into has enough noise because I want to hear the damn thing from inside the car lol but also it might be to loud then and attract unwanted attention.

Oh third world problems lol.
Appreciate 1
safridi66.00
      01-21-2022, 10:12 AM   #46
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT1183 View Post
I think the full Valvetronic system in either the stainless or titanium will be plenty loud. I dont plan on doing downpipes either. I go for OEM+ on my cars. I never tune them. And it can always be put back to 100% stock at any time.
You're probably right on being loud enough. The video I posted it sounded like they thought it was plenty loud enough and hoped the video picked it up. I think it's always better off camera and I'm probably putting to much into it.

Same here. Probably won't tune and easily put back to stock.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 10:17 AM   #47
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post
Found this video today of full cat back Valvetronic exhaust on an M4. Sounds pretty good. What does everyone think?

This is M3Diaz car. I bought my OEM carbon spoiler from this guy. Good dude. Car sounds amazing, bro.

Appreciate 3
LuckyBrand1140.00
M3Diaz245.00
OwnerF16820.50
      01-21-2022, 11:53 PM   #48
BMdoubleUTIFUL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

I finally got the full valvetronics system on my car. I had multiple issues getting everything to fit, which could be why the price is cheap. But the sound is very nice with little to no rasp at all. I will probably never buy from them again just based on the fitment issues and lack of customer service but once the product was made to fit, it is tasteful in sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 07:50 AM   #49
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdoubleUTIFUL View Post
I finally got the full valvetronics system on my car. I had multiple issues getting everything to fit, which could be why the price is cheap. But the sound is very nice with little to no rasp at all. I will probably never buy from them again just based on the fitment issues and lack of customer service but once the product was made to fit, it is tasteful in sound.
Did you install the exhaust yourself then? What type of issues did you have? What was wrong with costumer service? I would be installing it myself as well so input would be helpful.

Yeah I think there about $400 to $500 bucks cheaper then the next competitor for the same set up which I did wonder a bit why and they don't charge extra for tips like the others.

Do you think it's loud enough or do you wish for more? Any sound clips? I'm leaning towards this or Actives exhaust I think.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 08:34 AM   #50
ROBERT1183
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 DRAVIT GREY 6SPEED

Quote:
Did you install the exhaust yourself then? What type of issues did you have? What was wrong with costumer service? I would be installing it myself as well so input would be helpful.

Yeah I think there about $400 to $500 bucks cheaper then the next competitor for the same set up which I did wonder a bit why and they don't charge extra for tips like the others.

Do you think it's loud enough or do you wish for more? Any sound clips? I'm leaning towards this or Actives exhaust I think.

Thanks!
I dont think the tips are actual carbon which is why I think they dont charge extra.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1140.00
      01-22-2022, 08:36 AM   #51
ROBERT1183
Captain
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=mike@x-ph.com;28145079]

Hi Mike. Going to be pulling the trigger soon when do you think the titanium version will be available.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 09:32 AM   #52
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

[QUOTE=ROBERT1183;28498354]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

Hi Mike. Going to be pulling the trigger soon when do you think the titanium version will be available.
As far as I know, its already available

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
ROBERT11831569.00
      01-22-2022, 11:33 AM   #53
ROBERT1183
Captain
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=mike@x-ph.com;28498524]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT1183 View Post

As far as I know, its already available
Oh ok, I know they just announced it. I wasnt sure if they were taking pre-orders or they had systems already built.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 01:11 PM   #54
BMdoubleUTIFUL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:

Thanks!
There was an issue with the midpipe mating up to the downpipes. When you lay the two systems side by side (oem + valvetronics) you can see the flanges are rotated slightly compared to stock. You would think this isn't a big problem until you attempt to mount it. One oem down pipe has a flex portion and one of the valvetronic pipes has a flex portion. Both are at a their maximum flex when the pipes are being mated, just to get the nuts on to the downpipe bolts. As you try to tighten them, the system does not naturally take the correct path of travel as it goes toward the rear of the car. It's at an angle towards the driver rear when it needs to be towards the passenger rear. You must force the pipe toward the passenger side while simultaneously tightening the flanges. This still left the bracket for the midpipe exhaust hanger about 1/2 - 1 inch off center and to the rear of where it needed to be in order for it to mount with a bolt and screw. I ultimately had to drill a channel into the exhaust hanger bracket in order to get the screw to sit at a low enough angle to get a nut on it and support the midpipe. The rest of the mounting went much more smooth as far as mounting the exhaust to the vehicle.

The valve actuators from your oem system mount to the valvetronic system with included springs from valvetronic. Unfortunately the springs do not fit into the channels that are required to allow the system to operate. I was told to heat them up and bend them into place. The springs are quite sturdy and I didn't have a heat gun so I had to go buy one. Pliers of any kind didnt yield me any luck. I had to use a pair of channel locks with a thin tip to for where it needed to be. It ended up a little disfigured as you can imagine a perfect spiral won't keep its shape after you heat it to a temperature that allows it to bend. But I was able to use some force and get the actuators to coincide with the valves and the bent springs.

It took me a weekend at home using jacks and jack stands. Multiple hours of attempting different avenues to get the downpipes and midpipe to mate. And waiting for responses from valvetronics when I would send them pictures of things not fitting correctly and getting responses that insinuated they were not going to help. I was probably one of the first within the batch that released the full stainless system so it's fair to say there could have been some things out of spec on their side. But you would think they would offer to replace parts that are shown and measured to be off, instead of ignoring the fact that a new product had fitment issues.

Ultimately the sound is great. I would say cruising from point A to point B on the highway sounds as if it's equivalent to oem sport mode while in comfort mode. When you are actually in sport mode it is throaty and screams at high rpm. I was also under the impression that the newest software update that added the up shift "fart" was purely active sound on the inside of the car because even with windows down using the oem system I never heard it. But it's very clear with a full exhaust that the up shift "fart" is mechanically there outside of the car as well. There is no rasp unless you are at a stand still and rev the car passed 4 - 4.5k but even then it's nothing obnoxious.

I don't remember where I read this but I was sure that my exhaust would come with the forged carbon tips, but they actually came with 1x1 weave carbon tips which I wanted in the first place. The quality of the car looks very nice but I don't have a carbon diffuser to compare it to, and the carbon roof is so far away that you would never be able to notice if the weave was different.

Sorry for the long rant, just trying to be informative about everything up front to possible future buyers.
Appreciate 7
LuckyBrand1140.00
safridi66.00
Limegrntaln13015.50
barryc3651947.00
MMM.PWR3440.00
DO4441402.50
evidence194.50
      01-22-2022, 03:17 PM   #55
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There was an issue with the midpipe mating up to the downpipes. When you lay the two systems side by side (oem + valvetronics) you can see the flanges are rotated slightly compared to stock. You would think this isn't a big problem until you attempt to mount it. One oem down pipe has a flex portion and one of the valvetronic pipes has a flex portion. Both are at a their maximum flex when the pipes are being mated, just to get the nuts on to the downpipe bolts. As you try to tighten them, the system does not naturally take the correct path of travel as it goes toward the rear of the car. It's at an angle towards the driver rear when it needs to be towards the passenger rear. You must force the pipe toward the passenger side while simultaneously tightening the flanges. This still left the bracket for the midpipe exhaust hanger about 1/2 - 1 inch off center and to the rear of where it needed to be in order for it to mount with a bolt and screw. I ultimately had to drill a channel into the exhaust hanger bracket in order to get the screw to sit at a low enough angle to get a nut on it and support the midpipe. The rest of the mounting went much more smooth as far as mounting the exhaust to the vehicle.

The valve actuators from your oem system mount to the valvetronic system with included springs from valvetronic. Unfortunately the springs do not fit into the channels that are required to allow the system to operate. I was told to heat them up and bend them into place. The springs are quite sturdy and I didn't have a heat gun so I had to go buy one. Pliers of any kind didnt yield me any luck. I had to use a pair of channel locks with a thin tip to for where it needed to be. It ended up a little disfigured as you can imagine a perfect spiral won't keep its shape after you heat it to a temperature that allows it to bend. But I was able to use some force and get the actuators to coincide with the valves and the bent springs.

It took me a weekend at home using jacks and jack stands. Multiple hours of attempting different avenues to get the downpipes and midpipe to mate. And waiting for responses from valvetronics when I would send them pictures of things not fitting correctly and getting responses that insinuated they were not going to help. I was probably one of the first within the batch that released the full stainless system so it's fair to say there could have been some things out of spec on their side. But you would think they would offer to replace parts that are shown and measured to be off, instead of ignoring the fact that a new product had fitment issues.

Ultimately the sound is great. I would say cruising from point A to point B on the highway sounds as if it's equivalent to oem sport mode while in comfort mode. When you are actually in sport mode it is throaty and screams at high rpm. I was also under the impression that the newest software update that added the up shift "fart" was purely active sound on the inside of the car because even with windows down using the oem system I never heard it. But it's very clear with a full exhaust that the up shift "fart" is mechanically there outside of the car as well. There is no rasp unless you are at a stand still and rev the car passed 4 - 4.5k but even then it's nothing obnoxious.

I don't remember where I read this but I was sure that my exhaust would come with the forged carbon tips, but they actually came with 1x1 weave carbon tips which I wanted in the first place. The quality of the car looks very nice but I don't have a carbon diffuser to compare it to, and the carbon roof is so far away that you would never be able to notice if the weave was different.

Sorry for the long rant, just trying to be informative about everything up front to possible future buyers.
Hey man don't be sorry for the rant. It's exactly what I'm looking for. I to will be installing this myself and want as few issues as possible. I do remember you now and a few others having issues with the midpipes and all from Valvetronic in this link. https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1875680

It's to bad that they didn't seem to want to help you more on the issues but it sounds like you have it figured out now. This may sway me to go Active now but we'll see. Thanks again for the awesome write up!
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13015.50
      01-25-2022, 08:19 AM   #56
safridi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2/2018 Focus RS

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!

I feel like i went through exactly what you went through with mating the midpipe and the clearance issue with the bracket (i have like .5 cm of space between it and the midpipe) …..after hearing your issues with the rest of the exhuast im thinking of just getting the remus axel back instead.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 09:55 AM   #57
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
It actually sounds great, but, unfortunately, we all know that it will sound totally different/ louder, after about 800 miles. Let us know how much the volume increases, once the baffles are full of exhaust soot.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 10:32 AM   #58
McIntoshMotorSports
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80M3

Garage List
2016 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Looks like the product listing has been updated with an install guide, should be helpful for those who were having some issues.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:04 AM   #59
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntoshMotorSports View Post
Looks like the product listing has been updated with an install guide, should be helpful for those who were having some issues.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 04:30 PM   #60
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntoshMotorSports View Post
That's a pretty big weight savings on the titanium.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 12:14 PM   #61
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep

So I finally ordered the full stainless catback Valvetronic system through Mike at Extreme after evaluating all options and cringing at all the persons having trouble with install on the systems. What it really boiled down to was the deal I got. Between Valvetronics winter sale and Mike I just couldn't pass it up. It's so much cheaper for myself compared to the other options like for like it really sealed the deal.

Hopefully I won't have any issues with install and I'll be ready for spring! I'll definitely post if I do or do not have any issues and also post some sound clips as well.
Appreciate 1
vitipr171.00
      01-30-2022, 01:13 PM   #62
tac3331
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3cx

Has anyone gotten to handle their titanium cutback? Have the same flange mating issues? Sound vs ss?
Appreciate 1
Nkr151120.50
      02-27-2022, 06:39 PM   #63
Purekoryo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
Bumping it up for any updates on any more sound feedback (especially titanium) and fitment. I too hate the raspiness.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 06:42 PM   #64
Purekoryo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
Thanks for the feedback. Do you think it would be too loud with 200 cell downpipe? Did you notice any power improvements? Also that “Y” upstream of mid pipes look abrupt. Does other brands have an actually Y shaped mid pipe vs a small pipe attached to the main pipe like VT? Thanks!

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 03:35 AM   #65
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX (Oxide Grey)

Garage List
Any potential buyers, worth checking out this thread before you buy:

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1902541
2022 G80 M3 Competition M xDrive (Oxide Grey)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 08:55 AM   #66
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbm007 View Post
Any potential buyers, worth checking out this thread before you buy:

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1902541
Can't believe this outcome.

No way this is 304 stainless based on that members experience with this exhaust.

Very sad, that exhaust sounds amazing from that video but the quality is shocking.
Appreciate 0