BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-21-2022, 11:32 AM   #23
kmualim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X6MC

Garage List
I love my CF Bucket seat (if you can choose it, you should); but my lower back is killing me (so not a good fit for me - personally).
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 11:33 AM   #24
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neek View Post
Hey all, currently have an M4 Competition in 112 status, so making final decisions regarding build changes and I came very close to clicking the carbon buckets, but did not for 3 reasons:

1. Tracking the car in any significant way is unlikely.

2. I am leasing the car, so resale value down the road, while it is a factor, is a much smaller factor.

3. Living in South Florida, the lack of ventilated seats ended up being too much of a concession.

They are beautiful though, and I'm pretty sure this is the one decision I'll second guess after delivery.
Good choice.

The regular seats are nice enough.
      01-21-2022, 10:43 PM   #25
amuk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus RX350

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmualim View Post
I love my CF Bucket seat (if you can choose it, you should); but my lower back is killing me (so not a good fit for me - personally).
Did you have lower back issues prior to using the CF bucket seats?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 10:23 AM   #26
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, G87 M2 coming

Interesting thread, good information here!

I test drove both seats back in May of 2021 (when there was actually cars on dealer lots to test drive) before placing my order in August. At the time I was annoyed by the ingress/egress with the Carbon Buckets, and thought my wife would hate that. So I ordered my Base Manual with the M Sport Seats.

In general, I find them to be pretty comfortable. I love the Lumbar Support. HOWEVER, I find that with spirited driving, they do do not at all hold me in place, I get tossed around, and after a 1.5 hour spirited country road drive with M Traction Control on and doing my best to burn through my Winter Tires, I felt beat up after the drive. My lats were actually sore from banging against the bolsters.

The seats are well bolstered visually, you would think they would be great, but for me they are not. The bolsters are too far apart for me. I am thin, for reference I am 5'9", 29 inch waist, 150 pounds with broad shoulders and fairly big lats for how thin I am.

It is enough of an issue that I am thinking of ordering another M3 Manual with the Carbon Buckets.

That said, I am concerned about the comments about the sore lower backs and the lack of a lumbar support with the Carbon Buckets.

For comparison, my 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 has what Porsche calls their 18-Way Seats, which has adjustable side bolsters for the back, and for the legs. Those adjust narrow enough that it holds me in big time, no issues whatsoever.

Has anyone had similar issues with the M Sport Seats? If I was just driving around leisurely, or spirited in a straight line, this wouldn't be an issue. But aggressive in turns (which an M car needs to do!) is a problem for me.

Any more comments on the lack of Lumbar Support in the Carbon Buckets?

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
amuk148.00
      01-25-2022, 10:46 AM   #27
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I didn't order them, because I already know I wont fit in them. I'm built like an offensive lineman. 6'3, high 2s, low 3s, at times. But if you're not puffy, go back and get them. If you don't like them, someone will buy them from you. There's always someone in the classifieds looking for a set.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 03:21 PM   #28
kmualim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X6MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by amuk View Post
Did you have lower back issues prior to using the CF bucket seats?
Yeah I have lower back issue prior to any bucket seats. But I just didn't realize the bucket seat is giving me a lot of discomfort. But it's me, NOT the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 12:22 AM   #29
DMD
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Daily driven car and will likely never track it.

Carbon buckets still perfect for me. I wouldn't have my car without them.

This car wouldn't feel the same without. They're literally part of my connection with the car and create a sense of occasion to be in them and have them as part of the interior.

Standard seats were comfy but not special.

Body sizes and shapes are quite hard to put into categories but I'll share; at 5'8" and 210, I'm no svelte race car driver and my 11 hour straight drive from performance center back home never once gave me aches or pains. I Stopped for 15 min gas fill up only.

I've done that drive a dozen times in several M cars with relatively traditional seats compared to buckets. A part of me worried they'd be challenging. They're wonderful.

Definitely sit in them and spend more than 2 minutes.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 2
chicagofan0019077.00
amuk148.00