Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-26-2022, 04:43 PM   #67
connor@labworx
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Oh nice, wonder if theyre doing the same motor in the shop car here as they are in the other cars they took in for builds!
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13472.00
      04-26-2022, 04:56 PM   #68
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by connor@labworx View Post
Oh nice, wonder if theyre doing the same motor in the shop car here as they are in the other cars they took in for builds!
I don't know anything about RK, but I know with most shops, it would depend on how much money you want to spend. The fire rings, the headwork, and the cams, are probably optional. The basic motor package will probably just be rods and pistons.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 03:27 PM   #69
connord
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I don't know anything about RK, but I know with most shops, it would depend on how much money you want to spend. The fire rings, the headwork, and the cams, are probably optional. The basic motor package will probably just be rods and pistons.
Yeah but by adding those, in a sense youre over complicating and adding more stuff that could likely fail.

Why put bigger valves in a head that will not need them. Why fire ring an engine that doesnt need it, and why sleeve a block that youre not sure will need it?

All these fancy words sound good and the idea behind them is good, but the flip side is what i mentioned above

Replying on a personal account now, sorry

Im not trying to start anything but only shine light on pretty damn important things for people to see and understand.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13472.00
      04-27-2022, 04:47 PM   #70
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by connord View Post
Yeah but by adding those, in a sense youre over complicating and adding more stuff that could likely fail.

Why put bigger valves in a head that will not need them. Why fire ring an engine that doesnt need it, and why sleeve a block that youre not sure will need it?

All these fancy words sound good and the idea behind them is good, but the flip side is what i mentioned above

Replying on a personal account now, sorry

Im not trying to start anything but only shine light on pretty damn important things for people to see and understand.
One of the first indicators, to me, would be the fact that the transmission they listed, is a stage 3. Pure doesnt even list a stage 3 on their site, and the stage 2 is $10,000 and good for 1,400hp and 1,200 torque.

Second, no one knows where they're going with this build. There will be a point, where building the head, would be beneficial. 1,500hp, 2,500hp, 3,500hp, who knows. I would think even the block sleeves, have a limit.

There is a reason companies make billet blocks for GTRs.To me, it's all future proofing. You'd rather build strengthen a $40,000 motor, before you put a few windows in it, and it needs to be replaced. They're already making a single turbo kit, for it. Sky's the limit on this build.

Appreciate 1
GixY2K517.00
      04-27-2022, 07:00 PM   #71
connord
Registered
Rep

Quote:
One of the first indicators, to me, would be the fact that the transmission they listed, is a stage 3. Pure doesnt even list a stage 3 on their site, and the stage 2 is $10,000 and good for 1,400hp and 1,200 torque.

Second, no one knows where they're going with this build. There will be a point, where building the head, would be beneficial. 1,500hp, 2,500hp, 3,500hp, who knows. I would think even the block sleeves, have a limit.

There is a reason companies make billet blocks for GTRs.To me, it's all future proofing. You'd rather build strengthen a $40,000 motor, before you put a few windows in it, and it needs to be replaced. They're already making a single turbo kit, for it. Sky's the limit on this build.
Correct in everything you said, except the trans thing they know nothing about

As someone that has had both a built gtr, ams built tt r8 and a variation of other built vehicles, it’s obvious why certain shops succeed and some dont

Rk is selling an unproven product to customers, bottom line. Im just curious to see how long they continue doing business like this, and by this, i mean selling untested stuff on these platforms. It sucks to see people fall for their fancy words and pictures in their descriptions of a product that doesnt work

What other industries produce and push untested stuff? Exactly

Gonna be a fun
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 02:40 AM   #72
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX (Oxide Grey)

Garage List
Quote:
Correct in everything you said, except the trans thing they know nothing about

As someone that has had both a built gtr, ams built tt r8 and a variation of other built vehicles, it’s obvious why certain shops succeed and some dont

Rk is selling an unproven product to customers, bottom line. Im just curious to see how long they continue doing business like this, and by this, i mean selling untested stuff on these platforms. It sucks to see people fall for their fancy words and pictures in their descriptions of a product that doesnt work

Gonna be a fun
In all fairness to RK Autowerks, this post looks more like a documenting a developmental build rather than an advertising post. Nowhere do I see listed that they are trying to sell this solution. It actually says this is the shop's car in the first post?

Maybe you're right you don't need to go to these extremes, or it could possibly even have a detrimental effect on performance...

Who knows, but I guess we will never know if nobody actually attempts it.

Just like any other industry, trial and error is a good thing (not at the customers expense though - but as mentioned above does not look like that is what they are doing here - it clearly states this is the shop's car).

So I say carry on RK Autowerks! and keep us updated, you've definitely got my interest.
2022 G80 M3 Competition M xDrive (Oxide Grey)
Appreciate 1
GixY2K517.00
      04-28-2022, 04:47 AM   #73
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbm007 View Post
In all fairness to RK Autowerks, this post looks more like a documenting a developmental build rather than an advertising post. Nowhere do I see listed that they are trying to sell this solution. It actually says this is the shop's car in the first post?

Maybe you're right you don't need to go to these extremes, or it could possibly even have a detrimental effect on performance...

Just like any other industry, trial and error is a good thing (not at the customers expense though - but as mentioned above does not look like that is what they are doing here - it clearly states this is the shop's car).

So I say carry on RK Autowerks! and keep us updated, you've definitely got my interest.
Some of the commentary is referring to this thread, as well.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3#post28836673

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 02:11 PM   #74
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

I'm impressed by the civility of the responses.
Not what I'm used to coming from WSTI or GTRLife forums.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 02:28 PM   #75
Sales@RKautowerks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: e92 m3

Quote:

Gonna be a fun
Our built engines are in testing and not officially for sale, yet. We've been running this setup for about 1.5 months with no hiccups. Since this is our shop test car, we built the engine with every option we have available at this time. No point in ruining a perfectly good S58 block. In our experience with the S63 builds, the fire rings are necessary with how far we will be pushing this engine, testing different turbo setups and validating all other parts we'll be offering. Our F90 has all the same options and hasn't failed with about two years of abuse. That being said, 9 out of 10 customers wont need to go with the fire ring option. Development and testing on the heads (other than the fire rings) has not started yet, but will be coming soon.

See our other thread on the engine development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbm007 View Post

This guy gets it. We'll continue to post updates on bimmerpost and our instagram page.

-M
Appreciate 4
GixY2K517.00
0Camus0153.50
Sbm007613.50
gapband240.00
      08-25-2023, 05:47 AM   #76
uhNexus
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: M3CX, 335is ST 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTHSHOREM5 View Post
20 years ago though
99% of modern day supercars run 10 second quarter miles. You're only going to see 9 second times with hypercars.
Appreciate 0