BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-23-2023, 12:02 PM   #1
kyuuyu
Rep
Drives: toyota supra

Just washed car and now automatic pdc is not working

Here's the story, I just washed my car last night and even drove it albeit a short distance to another parking spot. This morning I drive off to go to work and the error messages come up, Automatic PDC malfunction so basically now I only have cameras to work with no sensor beeps and object marking and no automatic parking, etc. Something to note, I do have an aftermarket csl grill, had it for almost a month and have not had issues with the sensors after installed even after days of very heavy rain, so I can't imagine a car wash would have damaged the sensors especially since this was not my first wash of the car with a pressure washer after grill replacement. So any ideas on what it could be?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 12:21 PM   #2
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Your pressure washer damaged a sensor in your aftermarket grille. Just because it didn’t have an issue before doesn’t mean it couldn’t happen.
Appreciate 2
forcefed2567.00
      08-23-2023, 12:32 PM   #3
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Check the sensors on the grill. You may have not set them properly enough in the grill so that now that you've knocked it slightly with the washer, it's just out of place enough to cause problems now.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2023, 02:11 PM   #4
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Try rebooting idrive by holding the power button for like 10-15 seconds, if that doesn't work then go to the dealer and play dumb.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 11:55 PM   #5
M4ROLLIN20
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 COMPETITION

Garage List
First thing I did with my new comp…plugged in my Autel scanner and saw the PDC errors and basically reset the system. Worked like a charm, however, in my case there was no known physical damage. I also got a “rear differential lock” malfunction a couple weeks ago, car went in some sort of limp/restricted mode after I went over some train tracks; steering/handling, power etc. were greatly affected. Got to my shop, hooked it up, reset the system and back to normal it goes. It’s worthy to note a couple of other systems I hadn’t noticed that were not working properly resumed to normal operations after the clear.(ie when you’re parking and the front camera switches to show you a Birds Eye view of the car/object in front of you wasn’t working etc)

Anyway, I’d do this this first then if that doesn’t work you know it’s a physical issue that might have been caused by damage, loose connections, etc. Good luck man
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 08:13 AM   #6
429throttle
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4ROLLIN20 View Post
First thing I did with my new comp…plugged in my Autel scanner and saw the PDC errors and basically reset the system. Worked like a charm, however, in my case there was no known physical damage. I also got a “rear differential lock” malfunction a couple weeks ago, car went in some sort of limp/restricted mode after I went over some train tracks; steering/handling, power etc. were greatly affected. Got to my shop, hooked it up, reset the system and back to normal it goes. It’s worthy to note a couple of other systems I hadn’t noticed that were not working properly resumed to normal operations after the clear.(ie when you’re parking and the front camera switches to show you a Birds Eye view of the car/object in front of you wasn’t working etc)

Anyway, I’d do this this first then if that doesn’t work you know it’s a physical issue that might have been caused by damage, loose connections, etc. Good luck man
Can you link the Autel scanner you are using to reset the PDC system?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 09:11 AM   #7
M4ROLLIN20
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
[/QUOTE]
Can you link the Autel scanner you are using to reset the PDC system?

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Diagnos...85262537&psc=1
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2023, 06:26 PM   #8
kyuuyu
Rep
Drives: toyota supra

Ok, i did try using a regular obd scanner but it doesnt pick up the errors which is weird any thoughts on that? Or a regular bluetooth obd scanner just doesnt have the capabilities to detect something like that?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 07:01 PM   #9
M4ROLLIN20
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuyu View Post
Ok, i did try using a regular obd scanner but it doesnt pick up the errors which is weird any thoughts on that? Or a regular bluetooth obd scanner just doesnt have the capabilities to detect something like that?
That’s correct, a regular scanner would not have those capabilities. Maybe a buddy that has a shop is something you could look into. WCS go to a local high end independent shop and ask them if they wouldn’t mind doing a complete fault scan just cause your curious. Do not give any more extra information. When the scan is complete and they show you everything that came up, be like, “can you just erase all those? Don’t be like this happened and I put this aftermarket etc. No extra info. Should run a maximum of $20-$50.(when their not busy obv) Good luck hope this helps
If you were in southern Cali I would’ve definitely helped out a fellow member but Im confident you’ll be fine with the scenario I gave you.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 07:47 PM   #10
Asmedbeats
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 M3 Comp Xdrive  [0.00]
2023 M3 Comp Xdrive  [0.00]
I wondered if other people had this issue. Every time I do a thorough detailing with my power washer I’ll have it pop up for a few days after. I haven’t washed in a month and haven’t noticed any PDC warnings. I even had the diff lock warning once but never came back.
Appreciate 0