G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

05-10-2021, 06:17 PM   #23
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
I think you'll be utterly thrilled with your choice. I'm on the opposite end...I like the tech bits that the F87 is missing (not the driver's aids...the rest of it). As an example, I'm parking-paranoid (or parking-OCD...) and love the surround view cameras. I don't NEED them, but I like them and wished my F87 had them. Anyway, sounds like you made the right choice for you!

Edit: I agree on the M340i comments. I would have trouble going back to a non-M car.
On top of it - always been the 6MT guy and was hoping the AT sinks in but no way. The F87 is a 6MT
The wait is hard though
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 07:08 PM   #24
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineFalcon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Chris Harris: "... And it means that unless the chassis is being allowed to demonstrate why it is pure M car, the powertrain makes you feel like you’re driving a very fast M440i and struggles to rise to the occasion. Of the two, it’s the gearbox that is the biggest offender. And so this is the point at which I have to succumb to the pressures of being one of the rose tinters and say that for all its performance advantage over the old car, something really has been lost with this new one.

On a track, as always for an M car, the whole package comes alive and places quite a distance between it and a 440i – and for that matter any other car in this class. It is relentlessly fast, the grip is both very impressive and very consistent. And the thing that BMW M still does that little bit better than the rest is the ability to carve a straight line and then at the next corner erupt in clouds of vapourised tyre. ...

But the reality is this – the new M3 is a more capable car than the one it replaces, but it’s not as exciting and to my eyes looks nothing like as good. But, there is an estate and, let’s face it, it will still be a great thing to drive every day."

------

Road and Track: "The BMW M3 and M4 Are Absurdly Quick and Capable, But Not Quite Fun...

It’s easy to drive fast. And it is extremely fast,” says Okulski. “But I’m not sure it’s fun. It feels like too big of a car to really be agile and playful."

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1823555

-----

Anyone sees the similarity? It's fast but not quite engaging, unfortunately.

edit: G8X fans and buyers are silent cos it's Chris Harris' review here.
So, if the Chris Harris is not liking the car, we should all stick to the F8X

I couldn't care less if he doesn't like the design of the car, or if he thinks that the car is not quite engaging (we all have our own preferences), and there are much more G82 owners (and testers) that don't share his opinion because the overall package is so much better!

He is just another guy, nothing more, nothing less, and people should construct their own opinions, preferably by driving the car!
If the new engine revs strong all the way up to the limiter, I wouldn't give a damn if it's similar to the M440i because I hate the engines that die off at higher rev range, and in this regard the S55 is lacking compared to the S58.
Should I change my preference because the Chris Harris likes S55 more?
I like him . Like to listen to his opinion. He does not dictate what I buy. I research my cars before I buy. Read or watch many reviews go see the car and drive it , then make my choice. I will safely assume that most everyone does the same.
Appreciate 0