05-08-2021, 07:30 PM   #1
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Chris Harris M3

Hey sorry I looked but could not find this review on here. As always does a nice job. He is a bit nit picky with the styling

Appreciate 1
      05-08-2021, 08:18 PM   #2
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Hey sorry I looked but could not find this review on here. As always does a nice job. He is a bit nit picky with the styling
This video was from March 9 press review. Since then he has used the car more and published an update in Top gear

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/chr...sus-new-bmw-m3
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 11:52 AM   #3
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Pretty disappointing review after 2 months after original drive:

CH

- He likes traction, but immediately says; “Traction is of a completely different quality to the F80. How much of that is down to the new Michelin 4S tires, which appear to transform every car they’re fitted to”
- He likes the front end bite and turn in, but “A good deal of that front end isn’t just down to the steering either – this car runs monster 275 section fronts and so it always turns in without a hint of push and yet it doesn’t tramline anything like you’d expect”
- Track Performance: “On a track, as always for an M car, the whole package comes alive and places quite a distance between it and a 440i – and for that matter any other car in this class. It is relentlessly fast, the grip is both very impressive and very consistent. And the thing that BMW M still does that little bit better than the rest is the ability to carve a straight line and then at the next corner erupt in clouds of vaporized tires.”

Dislikes:

- Looks
- Auto Gear Box
- Weight
- Price
- Size

To some extent Black manual car resolves most of his complaints, since you cant see the grill, get real gear box, less weight, can have lower price for base model and maybe get an M4 to feel smaller around you with just 2 seats.

Conclusion – US should send him – Black manual M4 to drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #4
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Pretty disappointing review after 2 months after original drive:

CH

- He likes traction, but immediately says; “Traction is of a completely different quality to the F80. How much of that is down to the new Michelin 4S tires, which appear to transform every car they’re fitted to”
- He likes the front end bite and turn in, but “A good deal of that front end isn’t just down to the steering either – this car runs monster 275 section fronts and so it always turns in without a hint of push and yet it doesn’t tramline anything like you’d expect”
- Track Performance: “On a track, as always for an M car, the whole package comes alive and places quite a distance between it and a 440i – and for that matter any other car in this class. It is relentlessly fast, the grip is both very impressive and very consistent. And the thing that BMW M still does that little bit better than the rest is the ability to carve a straight line and then at the next corner erupt in clouds of vaporized tires.”

Dislikes:

- Looks
- Auto Gear Box
- Weight
- Price
- Size

To some extent Black manual car resolves most of his complaints, since you cant see the grill, get real gear box, less weight, can have lower price for base model and maybe get an M4 to feel smaller around you with just 2 seats.

Conclusion – US should send him – Black manual M4 to drive.
It's actually not the grille he doesn't like...imagine that
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 07:33 PM   #5
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My take would be that it's a spots car/sedan and the most important thing is how it drives. At least to me. It does what it sets out to do. Now styling is more an opinion thing, along with weight and such. Is it a pure track car ? No. M2CS for that. Can you track it? Yes, looks like a blast to me. Can't wait for the AWD !
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4261.50
      05-09-2021, 09:58 PM   #6
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Chris Harris: "... And it means that unless the chassis is being allowed to demonstrate why it is pure M car, the powertrain makes you feel like you’re driving a very fast M440i and struggles to rise to the occasion. Of the two, it’s the gearbox that is the biggest offender. And so this is the point at which I have to succumb to the pressures of being one of the rose tinters and say that for all its performance advantage over the old car, something really has been lost with this new one.

On a track, as always for an M car, the whole package comes alive and places quite a distance between it and a 440i – and for that matter any other car in this class. It is relentlessly fast, the grip is both very impressive and very consistent. And the thing that BMW M still does that little bit better than the rest is the ability to carve a straight line and then at the next corner erupt in clouds of vapourised tyre. ...

But the reality is this – the new M3 is a more capable car than the one it replaces, but it’s not as exciting and to my eyes looks nothing like as good. But, there is an estate and, let’s face it, it will still be a great thing to drive every day."

------

Road and Track: "The BMW M3 and M4 Are Absurdly Quick and Capable, But Not Quite Fun...

It’s easy to drive fast. And it is extremely fast,” says Okulski. “But I’m not sure it’s fun. It feels like too big of a car to really be agile and playful."

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1823555

-----

Anyone sees the similarity? It's fast but not quite engaging, unfortunately.

edit: G8X fans and buyers are silent cos it's Chris Harris' review here.

Last edited by bm323; 05-09-2021 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 10:28 PM   #7
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

themnmd1691.00
      05-09-2021, 10:50 PM   #8
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Fuck that lol this car is super fun.

I literally do not miss my m2c and that car is considered the apex of fun in the current lineup.
Appreciate 3
themnmd1691.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
      05-09-2021, 11:05 PM   #9
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Chris Harris: "... And it means that unless the chassis is being allowed to demonstrate why it is pure M car, the powertrain makes you feel like you're driving a very fast M440i and struggles to rise to the occasion. Of the two, it's the gearbox that is the biggest offender. And so this is the point at which I have to succumb to the pressures of being one of the rose tinters and say that for all its performance advantage over the old car, something really has been lost with this new one.

On a track, as always for an M car, the whole package comes alive and places quite a distance between it and a 440i – and for that matter any other car in this class. It is relentlessly fast, the grip is both very impressive and very consistent. And the thing that BMW M still does that little bit better than the rest is the ability to carve a straight line and then at the next corner erupt in clouds of vapourised tyre. ...

But the reality is this – the new M3 is a more capable car than the one it replaces, but it's not as exciting and to my eyes looks nothing like as good. But, there is an estate and, let's face it, it will still be a great thing to drive every day."

------

Road and Track: "The BMW M3 and M4 Are Absurdly Quick and Capable, But Not Quite Fun...

It's easy to drive fast. And it is extremely fast," says Okulski. "But I'm not sure it's fun. It feels like too big of a car to really be agile and playful."

-----

This always baffles me.

If your priority is engagement, get the stick. Problem solved.

"Fast but not engaging" was the mantra of the F80 as well, with an extra helping of "this turbo is turned like crap" and "why does my car sound like a lawn mower".
Appreciate 1
VIERsr2621.50
      05-09-2021, 11:06 PM   #10
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
And a coke please
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 12:51 AM   #11
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Fuck that lol this car is super fun.

I literally do not miss my m2c and that car is considered the apex of fun in the current lineup.
Same. Beyond a little natural agility resulting from the shorter wheelbase, I struggle to think of anything I’m missing from the M2C driving experience. My G82 takes me around turns faster and more confidently than the F87 Comp.

The M2C is a charming car; I love its relative simplicity and the decisiveness of a fixed suspension setup. It’s still a fantastic option if one wants to spend around $55k or so. That one can spend another ~$20k and have essentially the same driving experience with more power and while getting back all the goodies (HUD, nice interior, bigger fuel tank, etc) is amazing. Curious about the G87!
Appreciate 3
VIERsr2621.50
bri10425929.50
      05-10-2021, 03:39 AM   #12
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
This always baffles me.

If your priority is engagement, get the stick. Problem solved.

"Fast but not engaging" was the mantra of the F80 as well, with an extra helping of "this turbo is turned like crap" and "why does my car sound like a lawn mower".
Nothing new, same words from E46 to E92 ("too heavy", "no more 6L"), then from E92 to F80 ("no NA engine", "horrible sound") and now from F80 to G80 ("too big and too heavy"). There's always something to complain about, the previous generation was always better even if a few years earlier they said it was crap
It's pretty bleak, but it's even bleaker that someone isn't able to have their own opinion about the car and always has to rely on somebody else's.
Appreciate 3
02M3ForMe4261.50
bri10425929.50
heavyD^23688.50
      05-10-2021, 03:48 AM   #13
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Same. Beyond a little natural agility resulting from the shorter wheelbase, I struggle to think of anything I’m missing from the M2C driving experience. My G82 takes me around turns faster and more confidently than the F87 Comp.

The M2C is a charming car; I love its relative simplicity and the decisiveness of a fixed suspension setup. It’s still a fantastic option if one wants to spend around $55k or so. That one can spend another ~$20k and have essentially the same driving experience with more power and while getting back all the goodies (HUD, nice interior, bigger fuel tank, etc) is amazing. Curious about the G87!
I Agree.
Coming from an M2C (amazing car!) I can clearly feel where the extra money is on the G80.
They offer two different great driving experiences, but I find the G80's overall better.
Appreciate 3
02M3ForMe4261.50
bri10425929.50
themnmd1691.00
      05-10-2021, 07:48 AM   #14
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

When I dropped off my M2C and picked up my frog two months ago, I was absolutely sure I'd have days when I significantly regretted the trade. Hasn't happened yet. I've loved this car every day, despite a significant preference for the way the M2C looked on the outside. I've had at least as much fun with it as I ever had with the M2C.

And it's been a MUCH better car to actually live with on a daily basis. I've said it before, everything changes if you have multiple cars (I do not). You can make compromises and sacrifices when you have more than one car that are problematic if it's your only car.
Appreciate 5
VIERsr2621.50
themnmd1691.00
PLF693766.00
jonahk705.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
      05-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #15
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Chris Harris: "... And it means that unless the chassis is being allowed to demonstrate why it is pure M car, the powertrain makes you feel like you're driving a very fast M440i and struggles to rise to the occasion. Of the two, it's the gearbox that is the biggest offender. And so this is the point at which I have to succumb to the pressures of being one of the rose tinters and say that for all its performance advantage over the old car, something really has been lost with this new one.

But the reality is this – the new M3 is a more capable car than the one it replaces, but it's not as exciting and to my eyes looks nothing like as good. But, there is an estate and, let's face it, it will still be a great thing to drive every day."

------

It's easy to drive fast. And it is extremely fast," says Okulski. "But I'm not sure it's fun. It feels like too big of a car to really be agile and playful."

-----

Meaning despite his purists nit picks , it's one hell of a car and tops in its class.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 07:55 AM   #16
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:

They may be silent likely because this is an old review that's been discussed already in another thread. The reality is that the G8x has been more well received than the F8x was at launch.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 07:58 AM   #17
Ed_P
EdP
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

"And at that point I wonder whether we should even look for faults in cars like this because when we can no longer buy them, we might feel like it was a silly thing to do."

This. Enjoy it while you can.
Appreciate 1
VIERsr2621.50
      05-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #18
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Chris Harris: "... And it means that unless the chassis is being allowed to demonstrate why it is pure M car, the powertrain makes you feel like you’re driving a very fast M440i and struggles to rise to the occasion. Of the two, it’s the gearbox that is the biggest offender. And so this is the point at which I have to succumb to the pressures of being one of the rose tinters and say that for all its performance advantage over the old car, something really has been lost with this new one.

But the reality is this – the new M3 is a more capable car than the one it replaces, but it’s not as exciting and to my eyes looks nothing like as good. But, there is an estate and, let’s face it, it will still be a great thing to drive every day."

------

It’s easy to drive fast. And it is extremely fast,” says Okulski. “But I’m not sure it’s fun. It feels like too big of a car to really be agile and playful."

-----

The road and track review is quite comical because they all talk about how they wanted to hate it, then drove it and loved it and they all talk about how much fun it is. Then out of nowhere the last sentence is that tag line lol The Chris Harris review isnt surprising as he seems to prefer a car thatll thrash him about. He admits most auto journalists did not at all like those early spiky F80s and he was one of the few that did. these are the only two major sources ive seen that have said this so you havent exactly established a pattern haha not to mention its the classic cliche car critique that anyone old school would say about any modern car. Ive heard it said about the C8 corvette and the new 911 and probably a ton of other cars that received critical acclaim from most critics as well.
Appreciate 2
BimmerFix1384.50
themnmd1691.00
      05-10-2021, 09:22 AM   #19
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
Quote:

------

-----

The road and track review is quite comical because they all talk about how they wanted to hate it, then drove it and loved it and they all talk about how much fun it is. Then out of nowhere the last sentence is that tag line lol The Chris Harris review isnt surprising as he seems to prefer a car thatll thrash him about. He admits most auto journalists did not at all like those early spiky F80s and he was one of the few that did. these are the only two major sources ive seen that have said this so you havent exactly established a pattern haha not to mention its the classic cliche car critique that anyone old school would say about any modern car. Ive heard it said about the C8 corvette and the new 911 and probably a ton of other cars that received critical acclaim from most critics as well.
Old car good
New car bad
News at 11
Appreciate 1
BimmerFix1384.50
      05-10-2021, 09:37 AM   #20
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
When I dropped off my M2C and picked up my frog two months ago, I was absolutely sure I'd have days when I significantly regretted the trade. Hasn't happened yet. I've loved this car every day, despite a significant preference for the way the M2C looked on the outside. I've had at least as much fun with it as I ever had with the M2C.

And it's been a MUCH better car to actually live with on a daily basis. I've said it before, everything changes if you have multiple cars (I do not). You can make compromises and sacrifices when you have more than one car that are problematic if it's your only car.
Interesting.
I actually went the other way.
I liked the F80 a lot, but it was not perfect.
Got into the M340i and all those that claim/hope the 340 is the mini-M, or "BMW made it too good" are delusional. It is a great car but far from any M experience.
Once you go M, it is hard to go backward.
Placed an order for an M2C and now sitting and waiting.

Things I disliked in the G20 - overload of technology (and I had no packages on it) and the complexity.
The F80/87 still seems like everything I'd need from the technology stand point with the focus on performance/driving.
Could not justify extra $20k for the G80 vs. F87...yet...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 09:46 AM   #21
PeregrineFalcon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: vw cc

Quote:

------

-----

So, if the Chris Harris is not liking the car, we should all stick to the F8X

I couldn't care less if he doesn't like the design of the car, or if he thinks that the car is not quite engaging (we all have our own preferences), and there are much more G82 owners (and testers) that don't share his opinion because the overall package is so much better!

He is just another guy, nothing more, nothing less, and people should construct their own opinions, preferably by driving the car!
If the new engine revs strong all the way up to the limiter, I wouldn't give a damn if it's similar to the M440i because I hate the engines that die off at higher rev range, and in this regard the S55 is lacking compared to the S58.
Should I change my preference because the Chris Harris likes S55 more?
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      05-10-2021, 10:00 AM   #22
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M2C View Post
Interesting.
I actually went the other way.
I liked the F80 a lot, but it was not perfect.
Got into the M340i and all those that claim/hope the 340 is the mini-M, or "BMW made it too good" are delusional. It is a great car but far from any M experience.
Once you go M, it is hard to go backward.
Placed an order for an M2C and now sitting and waiting.

Things I disliked in the G20 - overload of technology (and I had no packages on it) and the complexity.
The F80/87 still seems like everything I'd need from the technology stand point with the focus on performance/driving.
Could not justify extra $20k for the G80 vs. F87...yet...
I think you'll be utterly thrilled with your choice. I'm on the opposite end...I like the tech bits that the F87 is missing (not the driver's aids...the rest of it). As an example, I'm parking-paranoid (or parking-OCD...) and love the surround view cameras. I don't NEED them, but I like them and wished my F87 had them. Anyway, sounds like you made the right choice for you!

Edit: I agree on the M340i comments. I would have trouble going back to a non-M car.
Appreciate 0