BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

09-21-2023, 04:59 PM   #89
Doc73
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M8 Competition Stage3

Garage List
Thank you for the review, this is on my short list for things to do when the car comes in.

Has anyone logged the performance difference between the CS TCU tune versus XHP?

I did XHP TCU stage3 on my M8 cp and flashing makes ZF8 fast as DCT.
This flash reach maximum in terms of performance that ZF8 speed can reach.
CS version is a step below.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 06:56 PM   #90
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc73 View Post
Thank you for the review, this is on my short list for things to do when the car comes in.

Has anyone logged the performance difference between the CS TCU tune versus XHP?

I did XHP TCU stage3 on my M8 cp and flashing makes ZF8 fast as DCT.
This flash reach maximum in terms of performance that ZF8 speed can reach.
CS version is a step below.
Yes, I don’t think this is aggressive as XHP, nor as customizable. But given that it’s BMW software it should be a bit more warranty friendly. Perhaps. And, for some, XHP has been too much.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 11:11 PM   #91
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you get BMW software update u loose your TCU coding correct ? So need to recode each time or stop software update?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 11:13 AM   #92
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Yes, I don’t think this is aggressive as XHP, nor as customizable. But given that it’s BMW software it should be a bit more warranty friendly. Perhaps. And, for some, XHP has been too much.
Ill be honest, I was getting a bit tired of my G82...Ive had it 2.5 years. I had a race chip, that I took off becuase its throws fuel mix codes in teh extreme texas heat. And I was really shopping to replace it. Drove a 911 Carrera S two days ago, and was not really blow away by it, but did appreciate the swiftness of the PDK..

After putting the CS transmission code on, I have found a new level of enjoyment driving the car, and are re-discovering its handling characteristics. Despite stock power, the shifting improvements really brings a new level of connection to the car and a renewed enthusiasm for driving it. I cant recommend it enough.
somer966.00
PipeM3196.00
Needsdecaf6599.00
Rodizzle397.00
bwoodahl235.00
kubax861789.50
all8up91.50
Mapper182.50
mathys202.50
jad4ca3.50
      10-04-2023, 02:28 PM   #93
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
Ill be honest, I was getting a bit tired of my G82...Ive had it 2.5 years. I had a race chip, that I took off becuase its throws fuel mix codes in teh extreme texas heat. And I was really shopping to replace it. Drove a 911 Carrera S two days ago, and was not really blow away by it, but did appreciate the swiftness of the PDK..

After putting the CS transmission code on, I have found a new level of enjoyment driving the car, and are re-discovering its handling characteristics. Despite stock power, the shifting improvements really brings a new level of connection to the car and a renewed enthusiasm for driving it. I cant recommend it enough.
Thank you for your honest review
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5461.50
      10-04-2023, 02:29 PM   #94
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
If you get BMW software update u loose your TCU coding correct ? So need to recode each time or stop software update?
You will lose the mod if you update software - best way is to simply turn off upgrades.
Appreciate 3
kgelfen3602215.50
TopJimmy5461.50
RUNSOK237.00
      10-04-2023, 03:41 PM   #95
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
You will lose the mod if you update software - best way is to simply turn off upgrades.
Hmm, that's kind of a bummer. No workaround?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 12:28 PM   #96
Rodizzle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3atyg80x View Post
I had the opposite experience, and I'm not sure if the tune was fine-tuned to allow blips on throttle, but hard braking or downshifting resulted in a straight clutch dump. I was more concerned about the d3 downshifts coming to a halt because the tranny appeared to be uncertain what to do.

I did notice that xHP users have the ability to change a variety of transmission settings, including throttle blips, so that could be an option in the future.

Last night, I decided to switch to XHP, especially after having a similar experience as yours. I must say, with XHP, there’s no clutch dump; the transitions are silky and smooth. It might even be a bit too smooth for my taste, but that’s where the customization options in their app come into play. I don’t mean to criticize the CS tune, but either something goes awry during the flash, or it just doesn’t mesh well with certain TCUs.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2023, 01:59 PM   #97
m3atyg80x
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodizzle View Post
Last night, I decided to switch to XHP, especially after having a similar experience as yours. I must say, with XHP, there’s no clutch dump; the transitions are silky and smooth. It might even be a bit too smooth for my taste, but that’s where the customization options in their app come into play. I don’t mean to criticize the CS tune, but either something goes awry during the flash, or it just doesn’t mesh well with certain TCUs.
Thanks for the feedback man! I was hoping someone could confirm if xHP has smoother throttle blips on downshift in d3. That was one of my concerns because it seemed like the car didn't know what to do.

Did you have to do a backup of your original files before using one of xHP's maps?
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2023, 02:08 PM   #98
Rodizzle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3atyg80x View Post
Thanks for the feedback man! I was hoping someone could confirm if xHP has smoother throttle blips on downshift in d3. That was one of my concerns because it seemed like the car didn't know what to do.

Did you have to do a backup of your original files before using one of xHP's maps?
No worries at all. It’s incredibly smooth, and you can adjust everything to your liking without any jerks . As for XP, they don’t back up your original file. I reached out to them directly to verify, especially since I had the CS tune on my car. I wanted to know two things: firstly, if it made a backup of the current tune, and secondly, if I needed to revert to the OEM stock file before flashing. Here’s their response:
xHP overwrites the TCU completely with our own files. Your current CS flash will be deleted and not saved because our Stage 0 flash is a full stock file for your vehicle.

Also, it's not necessary to flash back to stock, xHP will overwrite the existing file.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 09:09 AM   #99
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
2024 M4Cx Bimmer-Remote customer with good things to say here.

Had the headlights coded as well as the M3CS package as well as my request to flash in the M4CSL suspension program. I asked about the suspension because I sold my M4CSL and ended up regretting it truly miss the car.

As reported plenty of times, the transmission now shifts smoothly and more quickly (have not had any harsh shifts) like it wasn't tuned with a potential "grandma" buyer in mind. The steering and transmission feels very similar to the CSL now and brings back the feel of it.

The suspension amazingly felt very CSL (imagine that, ha) as soon as I started driving. Of course we can't code in the hardware of the CSL but wow, the coding has it 90% there, really enjoying the car even more now.

Combined with the Supersprint J-pipe (midpipe) and AWRON valve controller the deeper tone of the CSL is there as well.

Bimmer-Remote was very easy to work with, quick to respond, professional, and efficient with their work. Highly recommended when considering who to code your car.

Now....waiting for FEMTO to send me an invoice so I can send them an ECM. BM3 flex sensor ordered.....we will see where this goes I guess.
Appreciate 1
somer966.00
      10-28-2023, 10:08 AM   #100
drburns
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competiton Xdrive

I just had the CS tuning done yesterday on my 24 M4 comp xdrive by kubax86. Top notch customer service and super patient, as I had some pc issues to work through, but we got it done. I immediately felt the difference in the steering wheel. Definitely heavier than the stock tune, but not too heavy like my ZL1. The transmission tune is night and day from stock. In S3, shifts are much harder and lightning quick. D3 holds the rpms much longer and higher, definitely better suited for the track. D2 is the sweet spot for me, feeling more like stock D3, maybe 2.5, but quicker shifts for sure. Comfort mode in D1 is slightly more aggressive; perfect in my opinion. Definitely a worthwhile mod.
Appreciate 5
TopJimmy5461.50
somer966.00
Needsdecaf6599.00
tatarwj378.00
      10-28-2023, 09:05 PM   #101
smithf80
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Mostly curious about steering improvements as I have 6MT and find it a bit light in all modes, is there a different/discounted price for those looking to just have the steering improvements flashed, and does anyone have any real-world feedback on the steering feel difference?
      10-29-2023, 09:14 AM   #102
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf80 View Post
Mostly curious about steering improvements as I have 6MT and find it a bit light in all modes, is there a different/discounted price for those looking to just have the steering improvements flashed, and does anyone have any real-world feedback on the steering feel difference?
He did mention, I think earlier in the thread, that he would do something for the MT owners. Not sure what, either discount or other extras, but PM him.
Appreciate 1
smithf802808.50
      11-04-2023, 12:20 PM   #103
edi221
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3C

Hi,

Just thought to share my experience. My car is 2023 G80 M3C. I had AA single midpipe, Remus sport axle, Dahler valve controller, KW V3. That's it for now. Just added the CSL tune a few days ago, tried it on highway quite a few times and just very recently at a mini local track event here.

Just as all the reviews said: steering slightly heavier in comfort and sport plus, and I like this. Its also slightly more sharper. Anyway the changes to the steering is a plus for me.

As for transmission, tried in both comfort and sport plus: faster snappy gear changes for upshift, and I also saw that compared to before, the rpm shifts slightly higher before the faster gear changes, so much more enjoyable for me. Downshift is also fantastic. Made me enjoy the car more.

Didn't do the suspension tune as I had KW V3, so the shop didn't do the tune as the person said I won't be able to feel it anyway. Besides am already happy with KW.

One thing I like to add that I experienced, before the tune, cold start was a bit rougher and louder. But after the tune, I found that the cold start sound is slightly softer, and settle a bit faster too. I don't know if this is part of the CSL tune or just unknown side effect.
Appreciate 2
TopJimmy5461.50
tatarwj378.00
      11-04-2023, 12:28 PM   #104
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by edi221 View Post
Hi,

Just thought to share my experience. My car is 2023 G80 M3C. I had AA single midpipe, Remus sport axle, Dahler valve controller, KW V3. That's it for now. Just added the CSL tune a few days ago, tried it on highway quite a few times and just very recently at a mini local track event here.

Just as all the reviews said: steering slightly heavier in comfort and sport plus, and I like this. Its also slightly more sharper. Anyway the changes to the steering is a plus for me.

As for transmission, tried in both comfort and sport plus: faster snappy gear changes for upshift, and I also saw that compared to before, the rpm shifts slightly higher before the faster gear changes, so much more enjoyable for me. Downshift is also fantastic. Made me enjoy the car more.

Didn't do the suspension tune as I had KW V3, so the shop didn't do the tune as the person said I won't be able to feel it anyway. Besides am already happy with KW.

One thing I like to add that I experienced, before the tune, cold start was a bit rougher and louder. But after the tune, I found that the cold start sound is slightly softer, and settle a bit faster too. I don't know if this is part of the CSL tune or just unknown side effect.
Did u get CS tune or CSL ?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 07:34 AM   #105
edi221
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
Did u get CS tune or CSL ?
My car is not the x-drive, so I was told to get the CSL tune.
Appreciate 2
kgelfen3602215.50
mathys202.50
      11-14-2023, 07:19 PM   #106
ALCOBENDAS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 F82

Any 2wd with CS tune?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 08:59 PM   #107
shwayne5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Thank you for your honest review
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post

I agree completely. The before and after of the CS trans tune is very obvious and definitely makes the car feel faster even if it’s a slight improvement. I wish I’d done it sooner. With that said, the shifts are definitely more abrupt and harsher, especially downshifting.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 07:46 AM   #108
Gio72
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodizzle View Post
Definitely, I do and the only think I dislike about it .
It’s very harsh and Jerky.
Ok, you’re confirming me what I usually feel with my ZF8 CSL code!
I own an M3C RWD and I coded with Ista the ZF8 software charging OEM CSL one:
- upshifts are fantastic: very quick and “kicky”, very similar to my hold F82 DCT;
- downshift are faster than stock, but they are very harsh and jerky, as U wrote, expecially when you downshift 3º-2º gear at low speed! I read (EVO test) that is the same behaviour of the real G82 CSL and I hope they solve it with a software update…

By the way: there’s a noticable difference in harshness and jerkness of downshifts beetween CS flash and CSL flash! With CS flash (maybe due to xdrive) downshifts are less jerky! A dear friend of mine, who is a famous italian tuner, experienced that in several test

Last edited by Gio72; 11-19-2023 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
somer966.00
      11-23-2023, 02:04 PM   #109
dynamic6er
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '22 BMW G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Sorry, didn't mean exhaust burbles. More like the pop from the engine note. The way the engine sound changes in frequency because of the speed of she shift. If you've heard a Porsche PDK in action, it would make more sense what I'm asking. Sorry, sometimes I use the wrong words....
The sound is caused by an ignition cut on individual cylinders. Probably part of the torque reduction mapping in the dme
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 01:22 PM   #110
RDG80M3X
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 G80X

Wanted to chime in with my two cents as well:

I’ve had the CS trans flash for about 1k miles now and love everything about it except three things:

- D1 downshift from 2-1 at low speeds
- Sensation of stalling/sputtering at low speed
- S3 downshifts from 3-2 and 2-1

The first issue seems to happen roughly 50-60% of the time, sometimes it isn’t noticeable when decelerating but when it happens it feels like the transmission makes the car buck really hard which is unsettling. This can happen anywhere from cruising in parking lots or coming to a slow stop in traffic in D1. Second, occasionally it feels like car is about to sputter/stall when driving at low speeds through a parking lot (0-5 mph) - this is very rare but does happen once in a while (also in D1). When it occurs the idle drops super low and the car starts shaking/sputtering for a split sec until the RPMs jump up to compensate. Same goes for the 3-2 and 2-1 downshift in S3. Sometimes the downshift is super rough and you feel the transmission buck the car hard when decelerating. Obviously none of these issues ever occurred with the factory programming. Not sure if these three issues are related to the transmission relearning itself/programming as I drove the car super hard right out of the gate after getting it coded. Other than these issues the trans flash is awesome but I may go back to stock when I OTA update my car since I don’t feel like it’s good for the trans long term.
Appreciate 2
e90ftw38.50
kev7c718.00