BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-25-2024, 11:07 PM   #67
NoSuchSol
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10SecGG View Post
Ever driven one? I mean... REALLY driven one?
Not a GT3 - old Porsche and Mazda, yes. Mind you, I'm not looking to spend a quarter million on any car right now. That means no financing too.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 11:11 PM   #68
10SecGG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G82 X-Drive,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSuchSol View Post
Not a GT3 - old Porsche and Mazda, yes. Mind you, I'm not looking to spend a quarter million on any car right now. That means no financing too.
Fair enough, I respect that... But if you ever get a chance to really drive a modern GT3, you'll understand the draw to that car. It's a truly special car in the mirage of all the benchmark cars of late.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 11:40 PM   #69
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
My debate is between a 93-95 RX7 or a 90's 911.... I wouldn't turn down a GT3 but it's not the end all be all.
I have all of the above.

Get the FD. Find the cleanest, stockest one in your budget. Leave the engine bone stock other than a downpipe, put some proper coilovers and wheels/tires, and drive the piss out of it. They're truly magical. There is no car I love more, and I've had em all.
Appreciate 1
NoSuchSol172.00
      04-26-2024, 07:56 PM   #70
NoSuchSol
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
I have all of the above.

Get the FD. Find the cleanest, stockest one in your budget. Leave the engine bone stock other than a downpipe, put some proper coilovers and wheels/tires, and drive the piss out of it. They're truly magical. There is no car I love more, and I've had em all.
It's tough finding one that's stock (I don't mind a new or rebuilt engine either) and when you do they're getting pretty expensive these days. I don't want a RHD RX-7 either. I would do a R33 GTR as a potential.

Don't get me wrong on the GT3 - if money was no object then I'd be all over it. I have a special place in my heart for 90's JDM though - my 90 Z32 TT is still in my top 3 owned vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 04:47 AM   #71
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
It's tough finding one that's stock (I don't mind a new or rebuilt engine either) and when you do they're getting pretty expensive these days. I don't want a RHD RX-7 either. I would do a R33 GTR as a potential.

Don't get me wrong on the GT3 - if money was no object then I'd be all over it. I have a special place in my heart for 90's JDM though - my 90 Z32 TT is still in my top 3 owned vehicles.
YES!! I had a 91 Z32. Greedy Exhaust/ Jim Wolf chip/ intake/ HKS BOV’s/upgraded clutch/ gauges down the pillar. Lol. Such a fun little car. T-Tops off with my JL Audio stealth box. Killing it
Appreciate 1
NoSuchSol172.00
      04-27-2024, 06:29 AM   #72
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

The best part about tracking my family sedan is tormenting much faster cars whether it be Porsche or Ferrari.

A wise man once told me that it's better to be poor and fast than wealthy and slow. Of coure nothing beats filthy rich and fast as f**k.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3403.50
      04-27-2024, 03:08 PM   #73
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
The best part about tracking my family sedan is tormenting much faster cars whether it be Porsche or Ferrari.

A wise man once told me that it's better to be poor and fast than wealthy and slow. Of coure nothing beats filthy rich and fast as f**k.
Not sure about the wisdom of that man.

On many technical roads and tracks, a slower, lighter car is flat out more fun.

And a lot of wealthy people own slow(er) cars, for good reason. They bought an experience, not a pink slip champion.
13mm spacers all around, painted the rear udder, front LEDs added
Revaton Front Lip, Burger Motorsports air intake, OLED tails
Appreciate 1
robopp1712.50
      04-27-2024, 03:19 PM   #74
MACHT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M8, '23 AT4X, '24 JCW

I went F80 comp > 992CS > F92 comp.

Just like "top tier" BMWs more than base P cars.

The real question is do you want to be the "King of the Asses" or the "Ass of the Kings".

Not even remotely thinking of a GT3 - not paying ADM for a vehicle. Period.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 04:37 PM   #75
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by / / / M3 View Post
If you go on Rennlist, you'll quickly realize that this is the main reason why 90% of Porsche owners bought their cars.
I have been a Porsche guy over anything else most of my life. The brand as devolved into the classic Ferrari like mentality but even worse. Half the discussion on RL is about how much CXX deviated stitching you got. The brand has become a comprised of a lot of posers and fair weather fans who only got interested in the speculative aspects and have no interest in doing much driving but rather bragging about how little they drove their car. On the other hand, you see the guys buying much more expensive Ferraris, Mclarens, and Lamborghinis actually driving their cars. It's like everything has been flipped around.
I do agree with most here that the only ones that really give you a better experience than the M3/4 now start with GT. The regular Carreras are still good, but once you've owned a GT car, to me it just really stopped my desire to own another. I will keep my 991.1S (7MT, PCCB, Paint-to-sample to name a few) but other than another GT (have owned two GT4s) there isnt anything I have much desire to won anymore.
Appreciate 1
/ / / M3514.50
      04-27-2024, 06:26 PM   #76
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
I’ve been a member of this forum for a long time (17 years and counting!), and one question that seems to come up weekly is someone asking whether they should get a Porsche instead of their current BMW M car.

First, let’s start with the obvious. M cars and Porsche sports cars are made for people that want more than a tool to get from point A to B. These vehicles are made for people that care about driving dynamics (not just straight-line speed) and they also care at some level about brand prestige and quality. Both companies are competing for the same, or similar audiences. Car reviewers have been comparing the two since the magazine days, so It’s natural to get drawn into fray.

So, are you a current M owner that is considering the “inevitable” upgrade to a Porsche? I’m going to make the case for why you should keep your M, from someone who has owned and driven both.

1. Money is a factor. Let’s get real, for 99% of us, money means something. In these threads there’s always a few people that will flex or humble-brag about what they can afford, but the reality is most of us here would notice if $50K (or more) went missing from their bank accounts. While the MSRP of a new base model 911 has always been around 30% more than that of the same year M3, there are other factors that widen that gap. If you were to trade in a year old M3 on a bare-bones new Porsche 911, you would likely need to come out of pocket a minimum of $50K. When you consider options, chances are high that the new 911 would cost you double your trade value on your M3, or more. [...]
Of course the m3 makes more sense, but I still want a 991 GT3. But you know, if it's not worth it for you, and you're fine living your life never getting one, that's a totally fine and reasonably choice, probably the right choice, but other people will make the choice to get what doesn't make practical sense, and get to have and experience the car of their dreams as reality.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 05:45 PM   #77
mthreesixty3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911 Carrera (991.2)

I think BMW struck gold with the G series M cars. The engine is PERFECT. It pulls like a twin-turbo AMG from 2k-4.5k and like an NA 911 from 4.5k-redline. It handles well. It feels AGGRESSIVE & wants to MOVE! It fits 4 comfortably and i personally love the look. However, it just lacks the FEEL & CONNECTION that a P-car has. Plius - nothing touches PDK for transmission feel. I've banged the limiter so many times in my tests of G80 cars. It's unexplainable, because on paper - Porsches are weak.

But Porsches just don't make sense. The G series M cars are faster than my base 911 - but the base 911 did soo much soo well. However, i think the pricing on 911s has gotten ridiculous. A short 5 years ago you could get a lightly used GT3 for 75% of MSRP. Now, a 5 year old GT3 is going over MSRP. (I blame the climate crazies for trying to shorten our lifespan + the government for printing all that $$). Regardless, is a base 992 carrera worth $140k? NO!! You're in AMG GTR, Audi R8, GT4, 458 ballpark areas with none of the factors of those cars!

I came from a base 991.2 and 2 C63s - the G80x would knock both of those cars silly. But there is something about driving a Porsche than no other car i've driven can replicate. You feel like you are an extension of the car. You can feel the exact degree your wheel is turnt. You can feel every nodule in the road.

Long story short - BMW is great. Porsche is great. I'd take a P-car over an M car for a coupe, but i think BMW makes the best all-around vehicles on the market.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 05:55 PM   #78
TheMediumLebowski
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '24 GT3, '23 GT4, '22 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHT View Post
I went F80 comp > 992CS > F92 comp.

Just like "top tier" BMWs more than base P cars.

The real question is do you want to be the "King of the Asses" or the "Ass of the Kings".

Not even remotely thinking of a GT3 - not paying ADM for a vehicle. Period.
You don't have to pay ADM to get a GT3.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 05:56 PM   #79
TheMediumLebowski
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthreesixty3 View Post
I think BMW struck gold with the G series M cars. The engine is PERFECT. It pulls like a twin-turbo AMG from 2k-4.5k and like an NA 911 from 4.5k-redline. It handles well. It feels AGGRESSIVE & wants to MOVE! It fits 4 comfortably and i personally love the look. However, it just lacks the FEEL & CONNECTION that a P-car has. Plius - nothing touches PDK for transmission feel. I've banged the limiter so many times in my tests of G80 cars. It's unexplainable, because on paper - Porsches are weak.

But Porsches just don't make sense. The G series M cars are faster than my base 911 - but the base 911 did soo much soo well. However, i think the pricing on 911s has gotten ridiculous. A short 5 years ago you could get a lightly used GT3 for 75% of MSRP. Now, a 5 year old GT3 is going over MSRP. (I blame the climate crazies for trying to shorten our lifespan + the government for printing all that $$). Regardless, is a base 992 carrera worth $140k? NO!! You're in AMG GTR, Audi R8, GT4, 458 ballpark areas with none of the factors of those cars!

I came from a base 991.2 and 2 C63s - the G80x would knock both of those cars silly. But there is something about driving a Porsche than no other car i've driven can replicate. You feel like you are an extension of the car. You can feel the exact degree your wheel is turnt. You can feel every nodule in the road.

Long story short - BMW is great. Porsche is great. I'd take a P-car over an M car for a coupe, but i think BMW makes the best all-around vehicles on the market.
Solution - get both!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 08:57 PM   #80
sharkbite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Name:  m3:gt3.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  448.7 KB

Appreciate 3
chicagofan0019201.50
vbb1879.00
iLLGT225.50
      Yesterday, 06:30 PM   #81
TheMediumLebowski
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite View Post
Great combo. The answer is get both. If money, life, etc. is a problem, get the one you can and dream of both.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #82
iLLGT2
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 X-Drive

Ive already posted my impressions as a multi GT Porsche owner and BMW M owner, so please forgive me for sounding like a broken record....

My 991.2 Manual GT3 with straight pipe is immensely more thrilling than my g80 M3 x drive in visceral feel, sound engine vibrations etc... the G80 feels and is more digital in engine feel/texture and thrill

Let me say this, however. In a gt3 you'd only out perform an M3 x drive on the track with r compounds... id lose my GT3 in the backroads so fast it wouldn't be believable, the G80 x drive performance is bonkers in the bends and has the speed to match the chassis. its brilliant

My GT3 has so much more mid corner push which is non existent in M3 for me, you'd have to work twice as hard in gt3 which is part of the thrill , yes, and this is my take.. I also have a 997 GT2 with motion control coilovers, monoballs, toe links etc.... and i still think the g80 x drive m is as impressive

Alot of other points not to get one, i guess valid however i dont weigh my purchasing based on other factors....

You really cant have one or the other and be satisfied without the other is my final verdict, unfortunately.

I just say all this so that M owners dont feel badly not having a GT car in the garage,... some owners think it alters your life but the reality is, it doesnt 95% or more of the time.

mthreesixty mentioned AMG GTR, my M3 reminds me front end turn in wise and grip exactly of my AMG GTR, which was an absolute MONSTER !!

Last point , the GT3 is a special experience... pure connection and sports car however coming from a diff era of owning Porsches back 20 years ago now, its not a 250-300k experience, sorry. But then my brain plays tricks and I get out of a mclaren 720 and back into gt3 and say, ahh, this is what driving and connection is all about... and im saying that over a 350k plus car? so maybe it is lol... thanks for entertaining my crazy thoughts

If anyone is in the market for a gt3 and having serious thoughts but cant find one, ill have all my cars back on Long Island this summer and have no problem meeting up with fellow enthusiasts to show you what its all about

Last edited by iLLGT2; Yesterday at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #83
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
One thing nobody has mentioned. ROI

I’ll probably loose 30% ,or more, on my M4 Comp.
My 997.1 GT3RS has out performed most mutual funds.
Appreciate 1
KevinGS3360.50
      Yesterday, 10:34 PM   #84
Trevorr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 GT500 CFTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper View Post
One thing nobody has mentioned. ROI

I’ll probably loose 30% ,or more, on my M4 Comp.
My 997.1 GT3RS has out performed most mutual funds.
Great for Porsche owners, but since they more often than not, appreciate in value, it really makes it hard for the average person to order one without a 100k markup, let alone buy one 2nd hand.

I've personally seen several people trailer their GT3 to cars and coffee to keep the mileage low for resale purposes.

Not gonna lie, if I was in the position to secure a gt3rs for over MSRP, I totally would because then I can convince the wife that its an investment.

I paid $15k ADM for my mustang so I generally don't have issues with markups.
Appreciate 0