Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i, 2022 BMW 540i

Garage List
2022 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zb2603 View Post
Lol clearly you are the marketing expert here.. Yes you are right, diluting a brand is the best way to reach new audience while claiming that you are sticking to your heritage.

My "problem" is not BMW electrifying its performance line. My problem is badging electric cars with M logo just because they make more power with an electric motor and ruining its heritage.

Also in terms of being "woke" it was referring to calling the person who wrote the comment sexist and racist for saying that the demographics for the M brand as 25-50 male. Wish you could read as much as you write. 😂😂😂
It's more about appealing to people who see it as aspirational and can then someday afford one. I'd figure you'd get that with your 2016 535i
Lol you're funny af for trying to go that route when you have nothing else to say😂😂😂 didn't know that you were that upset 🙁 I'm 26, hope you are enjoying your M3 at the age of 40
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      02-25-2022, 02:16 AM   #134
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
You may or may not agree with me on this, but whether or not we love or hate this video, truly adds zero value to the thread.

That's my message, not so much the content of the video or how good/bad BMW is/was
You completely forget where you are. This is a public forum, someone has posted a new thread and effectively invited the entire bimmerpost community to view and comment. That is precisely the purpose of an Internet forum.

The thread has no other value aside from information and commentary. You yourself have no more grasp on reality than anyone else here, all you do is express an opinion.

You’re welcome.

My message wasn't that I am right or you are wrong. Debate is appreciated; politicising an issue not so much - for example, why should it be a matter of discussion if there were not enough white men or too many etc etc - as you rightly point out, this is a forum for BMW

I frequent this forum to learn and enjoy and think sometimes threads derail and degenerate rather too often for subjects that really don't relate to the cars themselves.
zb26031055.50
      02-25-2022, 02:17 AM   #135
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post
So how long do I stay M?
Until you reach N 😎
      02-25-2022, 03:05 AM   #136
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
We are very far from the origins of M.
Yes. About 50 years.
And some forum members here are about 20 years behind. (Stuck in E46-E39 era)

Future of performance cars, based on market trends, looks EXACTLY like iX M60. If the EV doesn't happen as expected (There are signs EU may postpone the aggressive targets), then the future of of performance cars will look like XM. BMW has both covered with the best EV SUV, and possibly the best ICE performance SUV.

Actually, iX and XM give me comfort, because it shows that BMW M will survive, and run by forward-looking people. The dinosaurs in this forum would run the brand to the ground in a few years.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 02-25-2022 at 03:11 AM..
Appreciate 2
jmg18710.50
      02-25-2022, 03:36 AM   #137
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
I don't doubt what you are saying has some merit. However, what manufacturers do also has some merit. What you call brand dilution, AUDI, BMW, MB and the like call survival mechanism.

Those who want a bit of M but can only afford 3/4 of one, can buy M340 instead of M3, as an example. BMW wins twice that way; first by selling two cars instead of one, but more importantly, by not losing one sale to another manufacturer just because they cared about M, more than they cared about sales.

Don't forget, it's all the non-M sales that pays for the development of M cars. However much you and I may dislike brand dilution, in reality, without it there may not be a M to speak of for too long.
Its just an excuse.
Obviously its easier to slap an M badge on a 3series or Msport package then bam the car sells. BMW never used to do this previously. Msport packaged cars were the exception, now its rare to see any model not fitted with Msport and have million M badges everywhere. It has got to the point where ppl say that Mperf models like M340i are REAL M cars?! Lol

Well now that BMW has ruined the M brand name and next gen of buyers don’t aspire to own them, how will they sell cars? For me cars like the Z8, E39 M5, E46 M3 were icons growing up. They were considered the best of the best. I don’t see the same prominence in the current offerings at all.
Fyi, the car regarded as the first proper M car for the road was the E12 M535i. BMW have been using M badging this way from way back. Nothing new here.
Appreciate 4
jmg18710.50
zb26031055.50
      02-25-2022, 07:00 AM   #138
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
The video itself is actually very good. Such a great edit. It's the audio that makes it corny.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
Edwardsc1251.00
      02-25-2022, 07:13 AM   #139
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

They got a dollar store fast and furious cast lol.

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 5
zb26031055.50
kjx3203.00
      02-25-2022, 07:21 AM   #140
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Quote:
Yes. About 50 years.

Future of performance cars, based on market trends, looks EXACTLY like iX M60. If the EV doesn't happen as expected (There are signs EU may postpone the aggressive targets), then the future of of performance cars will look like XM. BMW has both covered with the best EV SUV, and possibly the best ICE performance SUV.

Actually, iX and XM give me comfort, because it shows that BMW M will survive, and run by forward-looking people. The dinosaurs in this forum would run the brand to the ground in a few years.
Yes, as I said, evolution isn't always what we expect. Heavy SUV's with automatic transmissions and all wheel drive couldn't be further from where M division began. Thank you for illustrating my point. Market trends or sales volume, whatever you would like to ultimately call it, has led us here. Staying true to the original formula doesn't mean BMW M division wouldn't have been successful. It just means M division would have been a little more like Porsche, still allowing for plenty of revenue generating SUV's to be sold, even EV's, while still staying true to the original formula. BMW seems to have gone a different route, and in taking this course, has slowly but surely killed off whatever original M DNA it had. We can agree to disagree on this point of course too.
stein_325i25084.50
Jockey3451.00
zb26031055.50
      02-25-2022, 07:42 AM   #141
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15’ Xdrive 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes. About 50 years.

Yes, as I said, evolution isn't always what we expect. Heavy SUV's with automatic transmissions and all wheel drive couldn't be further from where M division began. Thank you for illustrating my point. Market trends or sales volume, whatever you would like to ultimately call it, has led us here. Staying true to the original formula doesn't mean BMW M division wouldn't have been successful. It just means M division would have been a little more like Porsche, still allowing for plenty of revenue generating SUV's to be sold, even EV's, while still staying true to the original formula. BMW seems to have gone a different route, and in taking this course, has slowly but surely killed off whatever original M DNA it had. We can agree to disagree on this point of course too.
Lol. This is like a low budget fast and furious meets Jason statham movie trailer cringy asf
🥴 🥴
Appreciate 2
zb26031055.50
Luminor5131243.00
      02-25-2022, 08:43 AM   #142
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zb2603 View Post
Lol you're funny af for trying to go that route when you have nothing else to say😂😂😂 didn't know that you were that upset 🙁 I'm 26, hope you are enjoying your M3 at the age of 40
Lol look who’s going that route now. You’re going to dig your new M5. Congrats
Appreciate 1
zb26031055.50
      02-25-2022, 08:56 AM   #143
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Not sure if I can qualify this ad as a Fast and Furious trailer - it seems more like something that can come out of Emily in Paris.
Appreciate 1
zb26031055.50
      02-25-2022, 09:08 AM   #144
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Yes. About 50 years.

You don’t seem to own any of the new progressive BMW stuff either. No hybrid, no EV, not even an M (going soft in your old age ).

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 09:20 AM   #145
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
You don’t seem to own any of the new progressive BMW stuff either. No hybrid, no EV, not even an M (going soft in your old age ).
I mean, he has a M340i (if it is correct) according to his profile, so i guess it is a real M by today's standards.
It is faster than my real M for sure.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 09:22 AM   #146
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Do you even know how marketing works. You target who you want as customers, not who you have. That’s why the XM is controversial to people who’ve been buying BMWs for 20-30 years because it’s not for them. They’re already through half their Lifetime Value. It’s for the early 20-something’s who could be with the brand for 40-50 years and will live longer than our generation.

I know the stats. You don’t change them by pandering to them. You change them by changing your voice and message to move to where the money is going to be not where it is today.
Yes but you have to intersect that with the demographics who can afford it. What you describe makes more sense for any mass market small item (phone, shoe, whatever). Not $100-150k automobiles.

If your answer is that BMW is trying to make these cars desirable and aspirational, I’m not sure it still works given how quickly preferences change in the digital work, and how much disruption we will see in the next few years in the EV world.

It worked better in the past when products had a little longer shelf life, disruption was non-existent and competition almost zero. When I couldn’t afford the just-then released E46 M3, I bought a slightly used E36 M3 instead. These days if someone aspires to an iX (very unconventional) but cannot afford it, will they walk in to buy a (very conventional) 330e? Shop for a slightly used BMW what? Or would they go for a much more affordable yet still desirable Tesla 3/Y instead?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
zb26031055.50
      02-25-2022, 09:55 AM   #147
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Yes but you have to intersect that with the demographics who can afford it. What you describe makes more sense for any mass market small item (phone, shoe, whatever). Not $100-150k automobiles.

If your answer is that BMW is trying to make these cars desirable and aspirational, I’m not sure it still works given how quickly preferences change in the digital work, and how much disruption we will see in the next few years in the EV world.

It worked better in the past when products had a little longer shelf life, disruption was non-existent and competition almost zero. When I couldn’t afford the just-then released E46 M3, I bought a slightly used E36 M3 instead. These days if someone aspires to an iX (very unconventional) but cannot afford it, will they walk in to buy a (very conventional) 330e? Shop for a slightly used BMW what? Or would they go for a much more affordable yet still desirable Tesla 3/Y instead?
That’s why they’re putting the M logo on “non-M cars”. So if you can’t get an M3 ($80k+) you can instead get an M340i ($60k) or a 330i with the M Sport package ($50k). The M has a brand image/value beyond pure M vehicles. BMW is capitalizing on it like anyone else would.

An ad showing they’re for everyone and inclusive is smart in this day and age. With equality in the workplace going in a positive direction, getting equal wallet share from males and females will be key to a brand selling $100k cars surviving/thriving.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2022, 10:24 AM   #148
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Do you even know how marketing works. You target who you want as customers, not who you have. That's why the XM is controversial to people who've been buying BMWs for 20-30 years because it's not for them. They're already through half their Lifetime Value. It's for the early 20-something's who could be with the brand for 40-50 years and will live longer than our generation.

I know the stats. You don't change them by pandering to them. You change them by changing your voice and message to move to where the money is going to be not where it is today.

If your answer is that BMW is trying to make these cars desirable and aspirational, I'm not sure it still works given how quickly preferences change in the digital work, and how much disruption we will see in the next few years in the EV world.

It worked better in the past when products had a little longer shelf life, disruption was non-existent and competition almost zero. When I couldn't afford the just-then released E46 M3, I bought a slightly used E36 M3 instead. These days if someone aspires to an iX (very unconventional) but cannot afford it, will they walk in to buy a (very conventional) 330e? Shop for a slightly used BMW what? Or would they go for a much more affordable yet still desirable Tesla 3/Y instead?
This is one of the reasons I'm disappointed that they killed the i3. Personally, I don't want to get a $70k electric car yet, since I view them as a convenience vehicle in my particular situation. A sub-$50k electric car with unconventional styling is right up my ally. I like the 330e and 530e, but I don't love them like the i3. I know I'm in the minority, but if they simply improved on the aesthetics and lost the carbon fiber tub to cut costs, but kept the 2+suicide doors, modern interior, RWD hatchback, I'd be in line for another i3.

I know the popular opinion, however, is to make EV's just look like regular cars, so maybe the 330e appeals to more people than a new i3 or iX.

We are also in an awkward transitional period, like you pointed out, because there is a market for a more affordable iX. BMW was ahead of the game with the i3 and i8, and now they are behind playing catch-up.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 10:25 AM   #149
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Take out the voice over and it's good.
Appreciate 2
jmg18710.50
      02-25-2022, 11:18 AM   #150
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
The video itself is actually very good. Such a great edit. It's the audio that makes it corny.
I find BMW videos of late tend to say nothing about the actual cars.

Here is another good example. What do the people, and the snake???? have to do with the car? The video doesn't do too much to actually get me excited about the car or perhaps cover any of the LCIish changes they made for 23.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 11:23 AM   #151
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Now this is a cool video and wow would I have been nervous to watching them film it if one of those cars were mine! But the video is all about the car without any superfluousness.

Appreciate 2
zb26031055.50
      02-25-2022, 11:33 AM   #152
KINY3RA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '93 e36 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Pretty corny. The dialog is just cringe.

"We are one team, we are one passion... We... are..."

dramatic pause

A large figure steps from out of the crowd

"FAMILY!"

Now, this had me in stitches.
Appreciate 2
zb26031055.50
jmg18710.50
      02-25-2022, 12:49 PM   #153
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Love being part of the community.
      02-25-2022, 01:51 PM   #154
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The all-electric iXM60. When you get an opportunity take a drive.
It is very well a preview of the inevitable all-electric M future.
I have a suggestion:

Call it iXV60… From Vacuumsport
Appreciate 1
zb26031055.50