BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

11-06-2021, 11:07 AM   #1
Grrveer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (sold) 2018 M2 (sold)

Ordering a G80 (fundamentals 101)

Hello. I am in the process of trying to order an M3C. This would be my first time ordering a car. I would like to know if there was a list of things to ensure when ordering an M3 that one should follow or be mindful of? I have seen some different posts with some information but is there a set of guidelines you should follow and steps to ensure you don’t get screwed over in the process (in terms of vehicle specs and financial specs of the deal)?

I am unable to find MSRP allocation at the moment here in California. I found a nearby dealer that doesn’t have allocation at the moment and is willing to do MSRP but I would be 2nd on the waitlist.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. (Or reference links)

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrveer View Post
Hello. I am in the process of trying to order an M3C. This would be my first time ordering a car. I would like to know if there was a list of things to ensure when ordering an M3 that one should follow or be mindful of? I have seen some different posts with some information but is there a set of guidelines you should follow and steps to ensure you don't get screwed over in the process (in terms of vehicle specs and financial specs of the deal)?

I am unable to find MSRP allocation at the moment here in California. I found a nearby dealer that doesn't have allocation at the moment and is willing to do MSRP but I would be 2nd on the waitlist.

Thank you.
Second on waitlist isn't bad.

Most dealerships have a waitlist a few deep. I could call around just to be safe and see if anyone has an allocation.
Appreciate 1
Mar481100.50
      11-06-2021, 02:08 PM   #3
astroricardo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx TR/Tartufo

Like he was saying, second on the waitlist is pretty good. I'm #10 on one and I'm tempted to ask you the dealer since I'm not too far from the Bay Area. I wonder how many people have their names on multiple lists?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13533.50
      11-06-2021, 02:29 PM   #4
adr_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp RWD Oxide Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrveer View Post
Hello. I am in the process of trying to order an M3C. This would be my first time ordering a car. I would like to know if there was a list of things to ensure when ordering an M3 that one should follow or be mindful of? I have seen some different posts with some information but is there a set of guidelines you should follow and steps to ensure you don’t get screwed over in the process (in terms of vehicle specs and financial specs of the deal)?

I am unable to find MSRP allocation at the moment here in California. I found a nearby dealer that doesn’t have allocation at the moment and is willing to do MSRP but I would be 2nd on the waitlist.

Thank you.
Are you #2 at a high or low volume dealership? That makes a big difference as to how soon you might be able to get an allocation. I was #1 at a small shop since late May and nothing came to fruition. I ended up calling around in August to get my name on the lists of dealers that offered MSRP and one of the larger shops came through for me recently. If you are planning on leasing/financing, it's important to ask whether the are marking up the rates; I walked away from an allocation last month when the dealer informed me there was a non-negotiable 1% markup on the financing rate.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 06:24 PM   #5
razman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blah

Personally, I wouldn't stop there. I would email all dealerships within CA borders (there are dozens) weekly asking if they have an allocation and whether they are selling it at MSRP. You will likely get more than one hit in a week or two.

Then, confirm they actually have an allocation and ask what week number the build is. This would mean that you get a production number with a build week within a day at most of agreeing to purchase the car. If they tell you the production number will arrive sometime later, they are lying and don't have an allocation.

Once you've confirmed they have an actual allocation, come to an agreement through email (i.e. writing) that the price will be MSRP (or whatever you're shooting for), and if you plan to use bmw fs, that the rate will be 0.9%. They will have run your hard credit at this point so they know whether you qualify or not. You don't have to use bmw fs; you can find your own financing or just pay cash. As for leases, this is harder but if possible get the cap cost and money factor down on paper.

My dealer did not ask for a deposit but I know many do. They're always refundable.
Appreciate 1
adr_M3368.50
      11-06-2021, 06:27 PM   #6
sutekidane
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3CX

This thread will be a good start: https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1811516
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13533.50
      11-06-2021, 08:01 PM   #7
phoenix6
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Which dealer is this? Last time I checked around the Bay Area, most were either applying markups or had waitlists 5+ long so I would recommend getting on that waitlist and others as well if you can. A lot of dealers will require deposits, but they will be fully refundable.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 08:25 PM   #8
adr_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My experience with the Bay Area dealerships:

- Stevens Creek BMW: MSRP, deposit required, non-negotiable financing rate markup (walked away from their open allocation last month because of it)

- BMW San Francisco: MSRP, deposit and credit check required to be added to their waitlist (6-7 deep on their Comp list as of September)

- Weatherford BMW: Same as BMW San Francisco, 4-5 on their waitlist as of October

- East Bay BMW: MSRP, no deposit nor credit check required, I was #4 as of last week before I dropped out (would definitely recommend working with them, their client service was by far the best)

- Fremont BMW: Had an open allocation last month however they were asking $5K over

- Peter Pan BMW: Didn't get into pricing with them as they refuse to sell to non-local customers. I was told they had 11 people on their waitlist for allocations

Last edited by adr_M3; 11-07-2021 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 11:30 PM   #9
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
What about San Rafael BMW?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13533.50
      11-07-2021, 01:22 AM   #10
adr_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
It actually didn't occur to me to check out dealerships in the North Bay. I was already on the fence about getting a car in the Bay Area since I would've had to either get PPF up there or drive it back down to LA "unprotected" and after the dust-up with Stevens Creek I threw in the towel. I left my name down at East Bay BMW knowing I likely wasn't going to get an allocation from them given I was further down in the queue.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 01:23 AM   #11
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr_M3 View Post

- Stevens Creek BMW: MSRP, deposit required, non-negotiable financing rate markup (walked away from their open allocation last month because of it)

- BMW San Francisco: MSRP, deposit and credit check required to be added to their waitlist (6-7 deep as of September)

- Weatherford BMW: Same as BMW San Francisco, 4-5 on their waitlist as of October)

- East Bay BMW: MSRP, no deposit nor credit check required, I was #4 as of last week before I dropped out (would definitely recommend working with them, their client service was by far the best)

- Fremont BMW: Had an open allocation last month however they were asking $5K over

- Peter Pan BMW: Didn't get into pricing with them as they refuse to sell to non-local customers. I was told they had 11 people on their waitlist for allocations
I would also check o see if they are planning on adding any mop and glow to the back of the loan. Some of the dealers thing, now, is to offer the car at MSRP, and tack on another $5K in back end of mandatory accessories to the bottom line.

Appreciate 1
adr_M3368.50
      11-07-2021, 01:52 AM   #12
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I just went through this exercise in the bay area. It was depressing. Looking at the black wing now
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13533.50
      11-07-2021, 01:45 AM   #13
kbanga
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C | G80 M3C | E24 635CSi

Quote:

- BMW San Francisco: MSRP, deposit and credit check required to be added to their waitlist (6-7 deep on their Comp list as of September)

- Weatherford BMW: Same as BMW San Francisco, 4-5 on their waitlist as of October

Man I hope Steven's Creek doesn't hit me with the finance markup.

I had already agreed on MSRP price and if anyone offered more for my allocation, they'd give me a chance to offer before giving it away.

My car is on a vessel rn & I'd hate to have to deal with a markup especially when we negotiated a price many months ago. I'm also planning to purchase another G80 from them so I'd really not like to deal with another dealer unless Steven's Creek gives me a reason to.
      11-07-2021, 06:56 AM   #14
tmilnthorp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbanga View Post

I had already agreed on MSRP price and if anyone offered more for my allocation, they'd give me a chance to offer before giving it away.

My car is on a vessel rn & I'd hate to have to deal with a markup especially when we negotiated a price many months ago. I'm also planning to purchase another G80 from them so I'd really not like to deal with another dealer unless Steven's Creek gives me a reason to.
You can bring your own financing. There’s rates out there around the same as a dealer adding 1%. They’re likely to offer you the base rate then and if not, just use the outside financing.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 07:21 AM   #15
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
It actually didn't occur to me to check out dealerships in the North Bay. I was already on the fence about getting a car in the Bay Area since I would've had to either get PPF up there or drive it back down to LA "unprotected" and after the dust-up with Stevens Creek I threw in the towel. I left my name down at East Bay BMW knowing I likely wasn't going to get an allocation from them given I was further down in the queue.
I live in San Rafael, though I bought my 2020 M340 from Fremont BMW because it was the best deal. I do service it at San Rafael. My next perches I will try them again and of course shop around.They have been good to me overall.
Elsewhere in the north bay, Hansel in Santa Rosa have not heard anything good. Anyone have experience with them?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 09:16 AM   #16
adr_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbanga View Post

The markup wasn't excessive (1% tacked onto BMWFS' 0.9% APR promotion) I walked out on principle knowing it was the dealer purely padding their profit. I also didn't get a good vibe from the CA who was apathetic and disinterested during the entire process (told me the markup was management's decision and that I could take or leave it) so it wasn't that hard for me to go elsewhere even if it meant waiting longer for an allocation.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 10:43 AM   #17
Grrveer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (sold) 2018 M2 (sold)

Thanks all for the helpful information! Modesto told me they would do msrp but add 1% to the 0.9% bmfs is offering (I would be first on their waitlist, I am passing. FYI for the inquirer earlier in the post)

I have decided I prefer the M4C Coupe over the m3. The more research and YouTube videos I watched yesterday for some reason the m4c appeals to me more personally, I don’t know if coming from the Og m2 and m2c has anything to do with that. I know that kind of goes against the general consensus of the public, but yeah. Now I’m on the lookout for an allocation for a m4c coupe, if anyone has some leads?

Thank you all again for your helpful information and the link to that ordering thread.
Appreciate 0