home
Technical Sections Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-01-2023, 03:36 AM   #1
gmanpowar
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition Xdrive

how to roll race g8x xdrive and switch to rwd

Hey everyone
Just looking for some tips if you guys have any experience with roll racing your G8x Xdrive. What’s the most optimal set up for roll racing? Is it better to put car in RWD? (Because of drivetrain power loss in xdrive) and for shifting do you leave it in auto or use paddle shifters? I’m curious about some your experiences. Anything helps thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 06:09 AM   #2
RM73
How Low Can You Go
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, M1000RR

The best results I got were always in 4WD sport (which is rwd unless there's wheelspin detected), starting in manual with the trans in the most aggressive setting, and once I start pulling switch the trans to auto in the most aggressive setting.

I usually start from a slow speed, so your results may vary when it comes to drivetrain selection, however I think even in higher speeds this would not be a problem as the car will behave as rwd even if 4WD is selected.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 01:29 AM   #3
Shinkaze
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xD, 2004 325ci Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanpowar View Post
Hey everyone
Just looking for some tips if you guys have any experience with roll racing your G8x Xdrive. What’s the most optimal set up for roll racing? Is it better to put car in RWD? (Because of drivetrain power loss in xdrive) and for shifting do you leave it in auto or use paddle shifters? I’m curious about some your experiences. Anything helps thank you!
Curious about this as well ... M2 for RWD?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 08:16 AM   #4
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Switching to RWD for rolls when you have AWD is dangerous and not worth the risk for the difference in drivetrain loss. Here’s why:
  • You paid for AWD and typically drive AWD so switching to RWD would change how power is applied to something unexpected.
  • AWD adapts dynamically to give you best traction.
  • We’ve seen tons of videos with F8X “going mustang” with the rear kicking out (happened to me at the dragstrip, cost me a $100K car).

As you slide sideways towards the curb you’ll wish M1 was a Save Me button…

I would only use RWD to do burnouts for drags, or to intentionally go drifting. Aside from that I want all 4 tires pulling.
      03-11-2024, 04:54 PM   #5
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Switching to RWD for rolls when you have AWD is dangerous and not worth the risk for the difference in drivetrain loss. Here’s why:
  • You paid for AWD and typically drive AWD so switching to RWD would change how power is applied to something unexpected.
  • AWD adapts dynamically to give you best traction.
  • We’ve seen tons of videos with F8X “going mustang” with the rear kicking out (happened to me at the dragstrip, cost me a $100K car).

As you slide sideways towards the curb you’ll wish M1 was a Save Me button…

I would only use RWD to do burnouts for drags, or to intentionally go drifting. Aside from that I want all 4 tires pulling.
I wish the F80 came in AWD lol. It needs that traction or else it's wheelspin city when pushing that go pedal aggressively. After a certain number of torque, AWD should be an option haha.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5460.00