G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums USA - California

04-13-2023, 03:15 PM   #1
AdipopM
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 xDrive

Collision Repair for G80 M3 - Questions

Hello,

Unfortunately I got into an accident in my M3. I live in Northern California - in the Bay Area. I took my car to BMW Concord Collision Center (https://www.sunwisecollisioncenter.c...on-center.html). I am insured with GEICO.

There are two areas of damage - one dent on the rear quarter panel, which to me looks like it needs to be replaced. This is shown below as DAMAGE 1.

And one in between the two passenger side doors - a small dent. This is shown below as DAMAGE 2.

BMW Concord are estimating that to fix this, it will cost me $18,000. That is 20% of the price of the brand new car.
BMW Concord say that DAMAGE 2 means replacing both doors. To me, this looks like a small dent that doesn't require such a massive operation.

I have a few questions:

** main question is in bold **

1. Does this estimate from BMW Concord seem reasonable or ridiculous?

2. Can I ask them to just fix the rear panel and then get the dent in the doors done elsewhere out of pocket eg. for a few hundred bucks?

3. Should I take the car elsewhere? NB. BMW Concord are the 'official' collision center for my area.

4. My main issue is that BMW Concord want me to sign authorizing them to go ahead and do the work including things they find when they take the car apart (kind of like a blank check). GEICO are only offering $2k at present but BMW Concord say that they will convince GEICO to offer the full amount once they take the car apart. However, if there is a shortfall, BMW Concord say that if I authorize the work I have to cover the entire shortfall which may be thousands of dollars. This seems insane to me. Why should I be the one taking the risk here? Does this practice fly in the state of California? Is there a way I can say NO don't go ahead if GEICO don't match BMW's estimate?

5. BMW Concord say the work will take three weeks at least. I need my car for work. How long can I delay the work? e.g. Can I leave it for a couple of months and give it to them when I go on holiday?

Thanks so much for your help! Im a total newbie at this so any help in answering my questions is appreciated.

DAMAGE 1

DAMAGE 2

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 04:52 PM   #2
astroricardo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx TR/Tartufo

Who did Geico tell you to take it to? Usually if you take it to where they tell you to, any overages is between them and Geico, you just pay your deductible, which you could recover if it's not your fault. I guess I'd rather take it to BMW to fix also, but is that where they authorized you to take it?

Also, doesn't your policy include rental coverage? But I imagine they may not care if you bring it in later, I don't know though.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 07:13 PM   #3
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
1) They won’t care if you bring it in later.
2) estimate definitely seems high
3) get geico to agree beforehand, don’t sign anything until geico agrees
4) ask in your regional forum for good body shops, just because it’s an “official collision center” doesn’t particularly mean anything
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 12:13 AM   #4
thecakeisalie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘23 G80x

My E92 got t-boned with much worse-looking damage and cost about $11k to fix… similar thing, door and rear quarter panels replaced. 18k seems like too much. Granted this was a number of years back so costs probably went up a bit. Usually minor repairs should be around $1-1.5k per panel, though if the rear fender can’t be fixed that’s a bit of an involved replacement (eg cutting it off and welding in a new one)

You should be able to schedule repairs for whenever is convenient for you and when they can schedule you. They won’t care. Usually your insurance should have rental car coverage as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 03:53 PM   #5
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroricardo View Post
Who did Geico tell you to take it to? Usually if you take it to where they tell you to, any overages is between them and Geico, you just pay your deductible, which you could recover if it's not your fault. I guess I'd rather take it to BMW to fix also, but is that where they authorized you to take it?

Also, doesn't your policy include rental coverage? But I imagine they may not care if you bring it in later, I don't know though.
In California, you are not obligated to take it to the shop the insurance company recommends.

Concord and Weatherford (both owned by Sunwise) are the go to shops as they are BMW Certified and will only use OEM parts. They'll fight the insurance company on this and will win.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0