2Times1064.50
      03-11-2024, 02:09 AM   #68
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Id like to see someone doing these single setups with the XONA rotor turbos.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 02:25 AM   #69
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_Juls View Post
AhsanU

How much power are you planning to push?
Not looking to push more than about 850whp or so on E85. On 93, I'll take any safe amount of power that the stock manifold and torque my clutch can take. Being a 6MT means being RWD and not being able to put down power easily. The primary purpose of the single turbo has been to bathe my ears in aural pleasure from turbo sounds, waste gate fluttering, and big smiles from being hit by big boost after every shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Round about pricing?
Tough to say as its based off if you're doing the install yourself or paying a shop, which turbo you choose, port and fueling, already unlocked DME, etc. I'd say, set aside close to $20k to ensure everything is running smoothly. Figure the following costs I've incurred:

DOC Race: $9kish
RTP Turned MaxxECU port controller (includes ethanol sensor): $2kish
Precision Raceworks LPFP: $1.5 ~ $2k
Precision Raceworks fuel rail + injectors: $1k ~ $1.5k
Tune: $700 ~ $2k depending on tuner and how much they cost assuming you're on MHD/bootmod3 already.

Parts alone can run around $15k. Figure around $2k~$3k for install. This doesn't include a transmission upgrade from Pure Drivetrain Solution for xDrive folk.. something you'll want as you'll start slipping on big power from a big single turbo.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 2
BrikM36.00
Limegrntaln13475.00
      03-11-2024, 07:52 AM   #70
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Tough to say as its based off if you're doing the install yourself or paying a shop, which turbo you choose, port and fueling, already unlocked DME, etc. I'd say, set aside close to $20k to ensure everything is running smoothly. Figure the following costs I've incurred:

DOC Race: $9kish
RTP Turned MaxxECU port controller (includes ethanol sensor): $2kish
Precision Raceworks LPFP: $1.5 ~ $2k
Precision Raceworks fuel rail + injectors: $1k ~ $1.5k
Tune: $700 ~ $2k depending on tuner and how much they cost assuming you're on MHD/bootmod3 already.

Parts alone can run around $15k. Figure around $2k~$3k for install. This doesn't include a transmission upgrade from Pure Drivetrain Solution for xDrive folk.. something you'll want as you'll start slipping on big power from a big single turbo.
Thanks for the info. My brother is kicking around selling his GTR (1300 Wheel) and building up a M4. I told him keep the GTR. I don’t think the BMW’s are far enough along to build up to 13-1400 HP yet. Plus the GTR has been rock solid and it’s DCT. I think he is just bored and looking for the next build. Lol. I also told him we should look at R-34’s. Always been a bucket list for me to build one of those bad boys and also convert to Left hand drive. We would spend around the same amount on the intial car purchase so we will see what happens
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      03-11-2024, 08:16 AM   #71
///Motivated
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Yes, because the banks are grouped and not divorced. Basically the front three cylinders pulse exhaust at the same time and the back three at the same time, so each single turbo sees pulses that aren’t compounding. This is why that big turbo manifold is a T4 divorced… three cylinders is on one scroll and the other three on the back scroll. If you look at the exhaust housing, you can see that weld ring on the outside which basically shows that it’s definitely twin scroll, so when the pulses from each of the 3 cylinder groups come into it and push the turbine housing kind of like a zipper sort of. There is no turbulence between the pulses, they all just fall in line and work one after the other instead of all coming into a single scroll exhaust housing like a vband setup usually is where they all collide, so you get what you get. If you look at your manifold runners you’ll see how they’re run and grouped into each side of the T4 collector flange.
I might be saying the same thing, but I'll say it differently. There were two reasons for twin-scroll: 1) eliminate exhaust blow-down interference, and 2) to make the turbine "act" smaller.

For the exhaust blow down, with four or more cylinders, the cylinder that fired previous to the current firing cylinder will still have its exhaust valve open when the current cylinder opens the exhaust valve and has a blow down. This will shove exhaust gases back into the "previous" cylinder, increasing hot residual gases and knocking propensity. Twin scroll separates the engine into halves to eliminate the pathway for that interference. With a three-cylinder, which is effectively what each half of a S58 with twins is, the firing events are spaced far enough apart that there is no chance of interference, so no point of separating things into multiple scrolls.

For the "smaller" turbine, when the manifold is segregated to make twin-scroll, it cuts the effective volume of the manifold in half, so more of the blow-down energy stays as high pressure going into the turbine, instead of the energy being wasted raising the pressure of the larger manifold, but now by half as much. An S58 with twins already has a small enough volume in each exhaust manifold that there wouldn't be much of gain trying to make three scrolls. Prototypes do exist, but the cost-benefit isn't there. Also, the benefit with twin-scroll is mainly around low-rpm performance. At high rpm the smaller scrolls end up being constrictive and it's better to be mono-scroll.

Twins have better drivability because, in addition to their native twin-scroll-like performance, the shaft inertia is smaller allowing for faster spool. If you want your high-BMEP engine to feel like a larger naturally aspirated engine, the twins are great. OEM's aren't designing for big turbo hits, spooling noise, whooshes, etc.

Like everything in life, it's all about the tradeoffs.
Appreciate 1
Blue Angel1000.50
      03-11-2024, 08:16 AM   #72
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Thanks for the info. My brother is kicking around selling his GTR (1300 Wheel) and building up a M4. I told him keep the GTR. I don’t think the BMW’s are far enough along to build up to 13-1400 HP yet. Plus the GTR has been rock solid and it’s DCT. I think he is just bored and looking for the next build. Lol. I also told him we should look at R-34’s. Always been a bucket list for me to build one of those bad boys and also convert to Left hand drive. We would spend around the same amount on the intial car purchase so we will see what happens
Given the relative infancy that the S58 engine/G8X platform is in, I'd say we're doing pretty well. The R35 GT-R is in its 15th model year so naturally there will be more parts developed for the aftermarket. I really wouldn't look at horsepower numbers as much as quarter mile times as there are other contributing factors to it, but I dare say that we're quickly approaching R35 levels of performance. With 5150 releasing a stroker kit, it means pieces are falling in place and we're poised to genuinely be on par with R35's in a few short years. Being crippled by femto's monopoly over DME unlocks is genuinely holding us back too as the gateway to more products being developed lies in there being a market for it. If we had an OBD2 unlock, there'd be significantly more interest in parts to go faster and thus more interested companies seeking bigger profits.

Such is life, unfortunately. But yeah, GTR is still top dog for now alongside TT Huracans for sure.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 10:46 AM   #73
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Given the relative infancy that the S58 engine/G8X platform is in, I'd say we're doing pretty well. The R35 GT-R is in its 15th model year so naturally there will be more parts developed for the aftermarket. I really wouldn't look at horsepower numbers as much as quarter mile times as there are other contributing factors to it, but I dare say that we're quickly approaching R35 levels of performance. With 5150 releasing a stroker kit, it means pieces are falling in place and we're poised to genuinely be on par with R35's in a few short years. Being crippled by femto's monopoly over DME unlocks is genuinely holding us back too as the gateway to more products being developed lies in there being a market for it. If we had an OBD2 unlock, there'd be significantly more interest in parts to go faster and thus more interested companies seeking bigger profits.

Such is life, unfortunately. But yeah, GTR is still top dog for now alongside TT Huracans for sure.
Exactly. There are TONS of 15-1700 GtRs around. Our lame 1300 is nothing. DME is the biggest issue with the Beemers. . We are on MoTec which is pricey but when you start getting big power I think it’s the way to go. Hopefully the ZF isn’t 25K to build when trying to hold 1200 Ft Lbs. 😳 You do not want to nuke the tranny in these cars. Overbuild from the jump!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 03:25 PM   #74
ZheroG80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Comp XDRIVE

For big big gains a higher compression 10 or 11:1 stroker (with factory 84 mm or increased to 85mm) with headwork will be the leader in power. Mid range with higher compression will be a monster and allow increased spool on bigger turbos then the 7275 or 7480 we are running. I was about to do this to mine but I don't have any use to go over 1300 wheel right now so I just sent mine off to get Kelford cams, valves, springs and a fire ring gasket.The head doesn't really like when you put over 50lbs of boost to it lol

Still super early in the game. We just got our first standalone (just ordered that so I can throw my Motiv in the trash lol).GT-R has had 15 years of R&D compared to the S58 platform. Plus to go for 1700 wheel in a GT-R you could buy 2 of our cars lol I love me a GT-R, it's just cool to watch this S58 advance over time.
Appreciate 1
DocMus0.00
      03-11-2024, 11:25 PM   #75
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Don't we already have a 2.9sec 100-200kmh G80? I'm sure once we put a stroker in it, it would be able to keep up with 1500whp TT Huracons then
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 09:36 AM   #76
ZheroG80
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
Don't we already have a 2.9sec 100-200kmh G80? I'm sure once we put a stroker in it, it would be able to keep up with 1500whp TT Huracons then
We have some guys in the mid to low 3s currently. I am one of them lol

My buddies TT lambo is currently around 3.8 on his regular setup but he has another 400hp he can throw at it on the fly haha. My other buddy has a procharged viper on motec and hes mid 3's.

Our cars have come a long way and soon enough you will see a 2.xx 60-130 when some of these shops get more testing and products. 3 years in to a platform for BMW I'd say we are doing very well lol. Rick's car from MLIFE when it comes out is going to be an animal considering he trapped 8.5 at 137 with him coasting from 1000ft.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 02:29 PM   #77
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheroG80 View Post

My buddies TT lambo is currently around 3.8 on his regular setup but he has another 400hp he can throw at it on the fly haha. My other buddy has a procharged viper on motec and hes mid 3's.

Our cars have come a long way and soon enough you will see a 2.xx 60-130 when some of these shops get more testing and products. 3 years in to a platform for BMW I'd say we are doing very well lol. Rick's car from MLIFE when it comes out is going to be an animal considering he trapped 8.5 at 137 with him coasting from 1000ft.
60-130mph would be a bit more than 100-200kmh. There is already one in the 2.9 100-200kmh built by MPowerhouse that's shown on the dragy motorsports youtube channel. I have a mate who is tuned by Precision Racing here in Sydney with a 1500whp TT Huracon and he has done a best of 2.62 100-200kmh. I am pretty sure once we put in a stroker, we can hang with TT Huracons and big power GTRs

Last edited by SE7EN335; 03-12-2024 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 03:36 PM   #78
GT_Juls
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

Rooting for you guys to take down GtRs and Huracans.

Love how much progress is being made in this platform in such a short amount of time. 🔥🤝
Chi5824.00
OEM31592.00
      03-12-2024, 05:48 PM   #79
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40 2019

Quote:

2’s incoming🤔
FSociety3812.50
      03-12-2024, 09:25 PM   #80
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Motivated View Post
I might be saying the same thing, but I'll say it differently. There were two reasons for twin-scroll: 1) eliminate exhaust blow-down interference, and 2) to make the turbine "act" smaller.

For the exhaust blow down, with four or more cylinders, the cylinder that fired previous to the current firing cylinder will still have its exhaust valve open when the current cylinder opens the exhaust valve and has a blow down. This will shove exhaust gases back into the "previous" cylinder, increasing hot residual gases and knocking propensity. Twin scroll separates the engine into halves to eliminate the pathway for that interference. With a three-cylinder, which is effectively what each half of a S58 with twins is, the firing events are spaced far enough apart that there is no chance of interference, so no point of separating things into multiple scrolls.

For the "smaller" turbine, when the manifold is segregated to make twin-scroll, it cuts the effective volume of the manifold in half, so more of the blow-down energy stays as high pressure going into the turbine, instead of the energy being wasted raising the pressure of the larger manifold, but now by half as much. An S58 with twins already has a small enough volume in each exhaust manifold that there wouldn't be much of gain trying to make three scrolls. Prototypes do exist, but the cost-benefit isn't there. Also, the benefit with twin-scroll is mainly around low-rpm performance. At high rpm the smaller scrolls end up being constrictive and it's better to be mono-scroll.

Twins have better drivability because, in addition to their native twin-scroll-like performance, the shaft inertia is smaller allowing for faster spool. If you want your high-BMEP engine to feel like a larger naturally aspirated engine, the twins are great. OEM's aren't designing for big turbo hits, spooling noise, whooshes, etc.

Like everything in life, it's all about the tradeoffs.
Yep, pretty much. Thanks for explaining it in another way. More people will now better understand.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 10:21 AM   #81
ZheroG80
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonPJT View Post
2’s incoming🤔
There will for sure be a 2 soon. If I wanted to gut my car to a tin can it is possible but that's not me lol. I will let the shops do that. RK Tunes car (Jordan) that car will be nuts with his weight savings.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 10:23 AM   #82
AshtonPJT
BM3 Tuner
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40 2019

Quote:
There will for sure be a 2 soon. If I wanted to gut my car to a tin can it is possible but that's not me lol. I will let the shops do that. RK Tunes car (Jordan) that car will be nuts with his weight savings.
Tin can civic mod
ZheroG80217.00
      03-13-2024, 11:31 AM   #83
mikewho_G82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82X

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Times View Post
I think there will be a few options. I saw the 5150 kit : https://5150autosport.com/products/5...er-kit-bmw-s58

There will be others too
what fuel system are you using?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 11:41 AM   #84
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewho_G82 View Post
what fuel system are you using?
Something new from RK Autowerks… they haven’t released it yet but I believe it’s 3 fuel pumps…. They know my goals and said that it will support them

2023 M4 xd BSM
IG: MFor_YourPleasure
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 04:56 PM   #85
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
Kept it pretty tame… lots of potential for when I go built engine
Attached Images

2023 M4 xd BSM
Appreciate 6
forcefed2567.00
GT_Juls251.50
Blue Angel1000.50
ZheroG80217.00
      03-18-2024, 10:31 AM   #86
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
The RK team put together a vid of the build:

I had to change the song because it wouldn't display on YT because of copyright but this one works lol

2023 M4 xd BSM
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2024, 11:15 AM   #87
ZheroG80
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Times View Post
Kept it pretty tame… lots of potential for when I go built engine
Is that around 30lbs of boost?