home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

06-14-2023, 08:19 AM   #1
Lost23
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 Raptor 2024 M4

Brake service mode and reset brake pad life

I already tried doing a search but come up with a bunch of people just compressing the rear or unbolting the ebrake motor. Is there a good link or video that goes into detail on how to put a G82 into brake service mode? Also looking for a video on how to reset brake pad life after the brake job is done.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 08:28 AM   #2
Lost23
Private
Rep

I found this for brake pad life reset. Not sure its the same for 2024.

Still looking for brake service mode.
Appreciate 1
Kaiz3n0.00
      06-14-2023, 08:39 AM   #3
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
You'll need an app to do that. Download one like Bimmerlink and get a compatible adapter. I used the ODBLink CX adapter as it was cheap.

Make sure the parking brake is not on, you'll have to turn the car to disengage the parking brake. If you're parked at an incline, you should park somewhere flat. Also make sure you're using wheel chocks or have something else that blocks the car from rolling.

Put the car in either "drive ready" mode or running, then insert the adapter into the OBD port. Next, connect to the adapter from your phone and open Bimmerlink which will take a little while. Once connected, you should see the parking brake icon toward the bottom. If you don't, close out of Bimmerlink completely and open it again and it should show up. If it does not, maybe you are not using a compatible adapter - ODBLink CX is compatible and seems to be the cheapest option.

Once you've opened up the parking brake screen and without using the brake pedal or parking brake, tap the Activate option. Once started, it'll put the car into diagnostic mode, start retracting the parking brake motor for 10-15 seconds, and will tell you once completed. Mine likes to say it failed, but it still worked. At this point, you're ready to work on both of the rear calipers.

- this is a good video to use as reference. You skip disassembling the parking brake motor and just slowly compress the pistons. It's not written out explicitly but make sure you have a thin 17 mm wrench for the counter-hold nut on the rear calipers.

Once the rear pads are replaced and everything is reinstalled and torqued properly, you need to go back to Bimmerlink and click to disable the parking brake service function. You should be able to hear the parking brake motor running for 5 seconds or so, but not much longer. After it give you a message that it was done successfully. You can turn the car on, use the brake pedal gently but fully a few times, then turn on the parking brake as a test.

There is also a service function which will show you when everything monitored is due for replacements. In there you can update the rear brake service. If your brakes ever got really hot, it's likely the plastic on the brake pad wear sensors has fused to the brake pad making reusing that sensor nearly impossible. It's also possible to break the sensor when removing it or if it broke due to wear. In that case, the rear brake pad wear senor must be replaced and you might not be able to reset the service until done.
      06-14-2023, 01:56 PM   #4
Lost23
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
You'll need an app to do that. Download one like Bimmerlink and get a compatible adapter. I used the ODBLink CX adapter as it was cheap.

Make sure the parking brake is not on, you'll have to turn the car to disengage the parking brake. If you're parked at an incline, you should park somewhere flat. Also make sure you're using wheel chocks or have something else that blocks the car from rolling.

Put the car in either "drive ready" mode or running, then insert the adapter into the OBD port. Next, connect to the adapter from your phone and open Bimmerlink which will take a little while. Once connected, you should see the parking brake icon toward the bottom. If you don't, close out of Bimmerlink completely and open it again and it should show up. If it does not, maybe you are not using a compatible adapter - ODBLink CX is compatible and seems to be the cheapest option.

Once you've opened up the parking brake screen and without using the brake pedal or parking brake, tap the Activate option. Once started, it'll put the car into diagnostic mode, start retracting the parking brake motor for 10-15 seconds, and will tell you once completed. Mine likes to say it failed, but it still worked. At this point, you're ready to work on both of the rear calipers.

- this is a good video to use as reference. You skip disassembling the parking brake motor and just slowly compress the pistons. It's not written out explicitly but make sure you have a thin 17 mm wrench for the counter-hold nut on the rear calipers.

Once the rear pads are replaced and everything is reinstalled and torqued properly, you need to go back to Bimmerlink and click to disable the parking brake service function. You should be able to hear the parking brake motor running for 5 seconds or so, but not much longer. After it give you a message that it was done successfully. You can turn the car on, use the brake pedal gently but fully a few times, then turn on the parking brake as a test.

There is also a service function which will show you when everything monitored is due for replacements. In there you can update the rear brake service. If your brakes ever got really hot, it's likely the plastic on the brake pad wear sensors has fused to the brake pad making reusing that sensor nearly impossible. It's also possible to break the sensor when removing it or if it broke due to wear. In that case, the rear brake pad wear senor must be replaced and you might not be able to reset the service until done.
Great info. Thank you for all of that. Checking out bimmerlink now.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 08:16 PM   #5
MMnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

You also may want to pop the hood, and open the brake fluid tank cap (and cover with a towel) before starting the job. Once finished everything, you then proceed to hit the brake a few times until the brake pedal getting hard, then close the cap.

Last edited by MMnut; 04-16-2024 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
Kaiz3n0.00
      04-16-2024, 04:18 PM   #6
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Ximian I did a test of Bimmerlink on my G20 and it also says brake service mode "failed" even though I hear the motor retracting for several seconds. And, deactivating service mode completes without error. Does this align with your experience? I see some 6 series guys saying this is what happens to them.

Worth noting I have to put it in diagnostic mode myself, otherwise it doesn't work at all and fails outright.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 02:14 AM   #7
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcfc View Post
Ximian I did a test of Bimmerlink on my G20 and it also says brake service mode "failed" even though I hear the motor retracting for several seconds. And, deactivating service mode completes without error. Does this align with your experience? I see some 6 series guys saying this is what happens to them.

Worth noting I have to put it in diagnostic mode myself, otherwise it doesn't work at all and fails outright.
That sounds about right for Bimmerlink.