BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-29-2024, 05:52 AM   #177
M4Martin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition, Mini Cooper S

What size box are you guys using or does anyone have the dimensions of the dme?
Are you just using regular bubble wrap when sending the ecu? When trying to find out how to package the dme for shipping I've come across a bunch of search results that say to use anti static bags and shipping materials. Is that just overkill?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 07:36 AM   #178
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Martin View Post
What size box are you guys using or does anyone have the dimensions of the dme?
Are you just using regular bubble wrap when sending the ecu? When trying to find out how to package the dme for shipping I've come across a bunch of search results that say to use anti static bags and shipping materials. Is that just overkill?
Big ziploc bag, unit with order sheet goes in.
2 layers of big bubble wrap on all sides, wrap, don’t tape.
Smallest box possible (cut to a perfect fit, you pay by inch to ship).
Weight should be 5lbs total with box.
I think the unit was about 10x8x2.5 inches.
Remember not to tape it shut since the courier has to look at it.
      01-29-2024, 02:44 PM   #179
M4Martin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Big ziploc bag, unit with order sheet goes in.
2 layers of big bubble wrap on all sides, wrap, don’t tape.
Smallest box possible (cut to a perfect fit, you pay by inch to ship).
Weight should be 5lbs total with box.
I think the unit was about 10x8x2.5 inches.
Remember not to tape it shut since the courier has to look at it.
Awesome! Any box of those dimensions will work or do I have to get one from DHL?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 02:50 PM   #180
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Awesome! Any box of those dimensions will work or do I have to get one from DHL?
Any box, but one easy for customs to open and check is best. I happened to have a box where the lid folds and tucks into the front and sides.
      01-29-2024, 06:19 PM   #181
M4Martin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Any box, but one easy for customs to open and check is best. I happened to have a box where the lid folds and tucks into the front and sides.
Awesome, I appreciate the information.
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5460.00
      02-09-2024, 10:31 AM   #182
M4Martin
Enlisted Member
Rep

I sent my dme out Tuesday to Femto looks like it should be back to me this coming Tuesday so looks like a 1 week total turn around time for southern Arizona.

I went to a DHL location when I shipped it out and when I tried to tell them to put it down as a temporary export and that it's a used ecu for testing and return they told me there was nowhere to input that information and I had to choose from a drop down menu they had for shipment purpose. The best options were Return for Repair and return after repair. Since their instructions say to list it as "for testing" and not for repair I didn't know what to choose so I said return after repair. It made it through customs to get there so hopefully it makes it back ok as well.

Also I saw that some people had added remote start through Femto at the beginning of this thread so I asked if they could add the drift analyzer and 10 level traction control and remote start. But Femto put in the comments,
"Not possible to add any of the requested features stated in your comment." Do they still add remote start?
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602215.50
      02-09-2024, 12:10 PM   #183
81bear
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 - FDG

Quote:
I sent my dme out Tuesday to Femto looks like it should be back to me this coming Tuesday so looks like a 1 week total turn around time for southern Arizona.

I went to a DHL location when I shipped it out and when I tried to tell them to put it down as a temporary export and that it's a used ecu for testing and return they told me there was nowhere to input that information and I had to choose from a drop down menu they had for shipment purpose. The best options were Return for Repair and return after repair. Since their instructions say to list it as "for testing" and not for repair I didn't know what to choose so I said return after repair. It made it through customs to get there so hopefully it makes it back ok as well.

Also I saw that some people had added remote start through Femto at the beginning of this thread so I asked if they could add the drift analyzer and 10 level traction control and remote start. But Femto put in the comments,
"Not possible to add any of the requested features stated in your comment." Do they still add remote start?
It’s my understanding that if you had remote start prior to flashing you can maintain that functionality post flash. If your vehicle did not have remote start prior to flashing femto doesn’t offer adding the functionality anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 09:17 PM   #184
M4Martin
Enlisted Member
Rep

My dme is supposed to be here tomorrow but I just noticed on my invoice they had added "for femto obd". I'm pretty certain I clicked the option for a bootmod3 unlock. I'm hoping it's just something generic on the invoice portion and I don't need to send it back. I hope it's not because I asks in the comment section for remote start and they don't do that anymore. I emailed them to see which unlock they did. Waiting to hear back from them.
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602215.50
      02-12-2024, 09:45 PM   #185
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
My dme is supposed to be here tomorrow but I just noticed on my invoice they had added "for femto obd". I'm pretty certain I clicked the option for a bootmod3 unlock. I'm hoping it's just something generic on the invoice portion and I don't need to send it back. I hope it's not because I asks in the comment section for remote start and they don't do that anymore. I emailed them to see which unlock they did. Waiting to hear back from them.
Let us know how it pans out! Hopefully it was bootmod3 like u requested.
What type set up u plan on running?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 09:50 PM   #186
81bear
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 - FDG

Quote:
I got mine back last week with remote start. If you had remote start before you sent your DME in you should be able to maintain that functionality after unlock.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 05:32 AM   #187
M4Martin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
Let us know how it pans out! Hopefully it was bootmod3 like u requested.
What type set up u plan on running?
Well I heard back from them, apparently I messed up and didn't select the Custom Rom option when I ordered. They said I could flash regular bootmod3 tuned but won't be able to use any of the custom rom features like rolling anti-lag or map switching. So I'm going to have to send it back to them to get custom rom which looks like it's going to be another $200 to ship to them and then €200 for the custom rom upgrade and €150 to ship back. That's going to be an expensive mistake for me.

I have ARM resonated downpipes and a Bootmod3 Flexfuel kit coming in the mail right now. Eventually I'll probably add a mid pipe, port injection and XHP trans flash.

UPDATE: Femto is being very supportive and offered a discount to help me out even though it was my mistake not making sure I selected the right option. It seems they made a one off decision to help me out so I don't want to put how much they are helping out so I wouldn't expect it as something they'll do for everyone. But its still a pretty stand up move in my book.

Last edited by M4Martin; 02-13-2024 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Additional Info Update
Appreciate 3
kgelfen3602215.50
evidence202.00
AshtonPJT281.00
      03-21-2024, 07:36 AM   #188
mills84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC TR/AG

Sharing my experience:
Followed this write up and saved myself close to $500 aka the price of the bm3 license. 7 days total including the weekend. DHL shipping was 181 with 30% coupon and 900 total for unlock and return shipping paid to FEMTO.

6 March - DHL pickup
8 March - FEMTO received
11 March - FEMTO shipped
13 March - Received back and installed

@Jon H:

I'm on idrive7, was using the BMW app to get the fuel level percentage and calculate e mixture via the e85 calc. Now that disabled the OTA updates in Settings - Privacy the app no longer works, even if the phone is plugged into the car. How are you getting the app to show you fuel level % without jeopardizing the unlock?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 07:39 AM   #189
Boogie2121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mills84 View Post
Sharing my experience:
Followed this write up and saved myself close to $500 aka the price of the bm3 license. 7 days total including the weekend. DHL shipping was 181 with 30% coupon and 900 total for unlock and return shipping paid to FEMTO.

6 March - DHL pickup
8 March - FEMTO received
11 March - FEMTO shipped

@Jon H:

I'm on idrive7, was using the BMW app to get the fuel level percentage and calculate e mixture via the e85 calc. Now that disabled the OTA updates in Settings - Privacy the app no longer works, even if the phone is plugged into the car. How are you getting the app to show you fuel level % without jeopardizing the unlock?
What coupon?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 08:39 AM   #190
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Search online for DHL coupons and try them on checkout.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 04:31 PM   #191
M4Martin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mills84 View Post
Sharing my experience:

6 March - DHL pickup
8 March - FEMTO received
11 March - FEMTO shipped

@Jon H:

The app is still allowed on my car but I disabled software updates in the idrive7 menu and on the app and my car still shows the fuel level percentage. You might have disabled the apps ability to connect to the car instead of just the automatic software updates.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 08:48 PM   #192
mills84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC TR/AG

Quote:
The app is still allowed on my car but I disabled software updates in the idrive7 menu and on the app and my car still shows the fuel level percentage. You might have disabled the apps ability to connect to the car instead of just the automatic software updates.
Maybe it's an x3m thing. But there is nothing in the privacy menu within idrive or the bmw app that says software update for me. I went into individual in idrive and enabled My BMW App and portal only and after ~15 minutes it is working again.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 06:47 AM   #193
M4Martin
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think there was a software update and the option went away in the idrive system but I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 08:23 PM   #194
Boogie2121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Been trying all night to accept and pay to check out on DHL, but something is wrong. Anyone run into this issue before?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 10:01 AM   #195
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie2121 View Post
Been trying all night to accept and pay to check out on DHL, but something is wrong. Anyone run into this issue before?
you mean for the shipping label? its working for us

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0