BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-03-2023, 06:51 AM   #1
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

Digital key and manuals

Waiting for my G80 to arrive. I understand remote start doesn’t work with tbt manual, but are there other limitations with the app/digital key?

Does proximity access work, digital key/phone in pocket start? Etc.
      11-03-2023, 06:54 AM   #2
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

No card key or digital key for the lowly 'base' model
I wish there was a way to add this feature.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 06:55 AM   #3
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
No card key or digital key for the lowly 'base' model
I wish there was a way to add this feature.
Boo
      11-03-2023, 06:58 AM   #4
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcampo View Post
Boo
Yup. But no way I'm giving up 6MT for some slick features.
#savethemanuals
Appreciate 6
Adcampo883.50
NicolasB808.00
rcz2270.00
Tobster3630.50
eugenebmw1480.50
      11-28-2023, 07:24 PM   #5
Pool Shark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Accord Sport6MT / Tesla3 / M3

Oh, so on pick-up day, only expect to receive two key fobs, not cards?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 07:34 PM   #6
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool Shark View Post
Oh, so on pick-up day, only expect to receive two key fobs, not cards?
Correct.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2023, 09:35 PM   #7
NicolasB
Not my first rodeo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3

All good, the 6MT is the best security system available probably, so that's a bonus!
Appreciate 5
Adcampo883.50
rcz2270.00
Tobster3630.50
eugenebmw1480.50
      12-13-2023, 05:03 PM   #8
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Honestly the digital key stuff is really not that cool. I have my card setup but i'm assuming all it does is open the door? I cant imagine that it also allows me to drive away. And even if it does, thats just not something i want to rely on. The digital key doesnt even want to work with my phone (Pixel 8 Pro). It just doesnt seem to want to activate. Again no loss on my end, i was only trying to activate it to make my friends ooh and aaah at the party trick one time. but the reality is i just keep my key in my pocket the entire time and just live my life like that.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2023, 05:19 PM   #9
yocubed
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G83 M4

Garage List
2022 G83 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
Honestly the digital key stuff is really not that cool. I have my card setup but i'm assuming all it does is open the door? I cant imagine that it also allows me to drive away. And even if it does, thats just not something i want to rely on. The digital key doesnt even want to work with my phone (Pixel 8 Pro). It just doesnt seem to want to activate. Again no loss on my end, i was only trying to activate it to make my friends ooh and aaah at the party trick one time. but the reality is i just keep my key in my pocket the entire time and just live my life like that.
The digital key works surprisingly well though I don't use it much. I can unlock, start and drive around with just my phone (S23 Ultra) and can leave the key at home. Wish that bmw would open up the use of UWB Bluetooth so I wouldn't even have to take my phone out of my pocket or put it in the tray but that's nitpicking (even though they've said it was coming I'm not holding my breath)

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 05:35 PM   #10
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yocubed View Post
The digital key works surprisingly well though I don't use it much. I can unlock, start and drive around with just my phone (S23 Ultra) and can leave the key at home. Wish that bmw would open up the use of UWB Bluetooth so I wouldn't even have to take my phone out of my pocket or put it in the tray but that's nitpicking (even though they've said it was coming I'm not holding my breath)
Yeah i mean thats like the new thing. I dont know i find myself being very wary of that kinda stuff so i'm kinda glad my digital key fails to pair.

I mean maybe i'm old fashioned but i kinda still like having a key. Actually my favorite was my Porsche where i had a small key in the shape of a car and then i had to insert it into the car and turn it like a classic key. I dont know why but thats been my favorite key fob to date.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 11:07 PM   #11
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah i mean thats like the new thing. I dont know i find myself being very wary of that kinda stuff so i'm kinda glad my digital key fails to pair.

I mean maybe i'm old fashioned but i kinda still like having a key. Actually my favorite was my Porsche where i had a small key in the shape of a car and then i had to insert it into the car and turn it like a classic key. I dont know why but thats been my favorite key fob to date.
You're old fashioned lol.

Digital Key is safer than using the traditional key. It's encrypted behind your phone's protection, which isn't getting bypassed anytime soon.

Plus no chance of intercepting any signals in our cars since it's only via NFC, no long range communication.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 12:12 AM   #12
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
I don't use it often, but the Digital Key on my iPhone and Apple Watch work great.

Unlock, start and drive the car, no keys required.

None of the G8x cars support UWB, so you have to hold the phone/watch up to the drivers door handle to unlock and to the wireless charge pad to start the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 01:29 PM   #13
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
You're old fashioned lol.

Digital Key is safer than using the traditional key. It's encrypted behind your phone's protection, which isn't getting bypassed anytime soon.

Plus no chance of intercepting any signals in our cars since it's only via NFC, no long range communication.
Oh yeah no i totally agree there haha. I know how the tech works and why it's actually safer. I just actually hate relying on my phone for everything. I mean it doesnt help that it just doesnt want to pair whenever i try so that alone is dissuading me from using it more.

I'll probably eventually get it to work and will probably use it every now and then. But its just one of those things where if lets say the NFC doesnt want to recognize or if my phone decides to crap out and if i dont have my key then i'm stranded. Which then just makes me take my key, which then defeats the purpose of Digital Key. But i guess its a nice backup in case i lose my key or something.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 08:20 AM   #14
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Oh yeah no i totally agree there haha. I know how the tech works and why it's actually safer. I just actually hate relying on my phone for everything. I mean it doesnt help that it just doesnt want to pair whenever i try so that alone is dissuading me from using it more.

I'll probably eventually get it to work and will probably use it every now and then. But its just one of those things where if lets say the NFC doesnt want to recognize or if my phone decides to crap out and if i dont have my key then i'm stranded. Which then just makes me take my key, which then defeats the purpose of Digital Key. But i guess its a nice backup in case i lose my key or something.
I’ve used my phone exclusively since taking delivery of my car 2 years ago. It’s never let me down. I keep my key card as a backup in my wallet in case something happens to my phone, or I have to (gasp) valet.

Why are you anxious your phone and key card might both fail, but you’re not at all concerned your key would fail? Isn’t that sensor just as likely to fail as the NFC sensor?
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 09:30 AM   #15
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Newer iPhones can also use Express cards in low or no-power situations, so even less chance of an issue.

https://support.apple.com/guide/secu...c90cd29d1f/web
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2023, 10:54 AM   #16
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
I’ve used my phone exclusively since taking delivery of my car 2 years ago. It’s never let me down. I keep my key card as a backup in my wallet in case something happens to my phone, or I have to (gasp) valet.

Why are you anxious your phone and key card might both fail, but you’re not at all concerned your key would fail? Isn’t that sensor just as likely to fail as the NFC sensor?
because i've had my phone fail more often than my key fobs have failed. Just the fact that my phone wont pair with the system to activate the Digital Key itself is cause for concern.

This is also combined with the failure rate of car tech. While so far my car has been fine, i've definetly had cars in the past where some features are buggy or only work half the time. Like wireless CarPlay, had a ton of issues with that in my Supra and M2C, or even just setting up my M4 with my profile, i ended up needing to remove my entire profile and start over because halfway through it paired but at the same time didnt.

Again it's actually less about me being anxious and more just i'd rather not deal with that situation if it happens. Keep in mind the key fob also has a physical key built in, in case of emergencies. If the sensors on the door are malfunctioning due to damage or just because, you wont be able to get back inside the car if all you have is your phone or the card. I have the card on me because that actually worked when activating it.

I dont know maybe it's because i work in tech that i actually try not to rely on it too much. I see too many failures every single day for me to believe its a reliable option vs something thats been tried and true for decades.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 11:54 AM   #17
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
because i've had my phone fail more often than my key fobs have failed. Just the fact that my phone wont pair with the system to activate the Digital Key itself is cause for concern.

This is also combined with the failure rate of car tech. While so far my car has been fine, i've definetly had cars in the past where some features are buggy or only work half the time. Like wireless CarPlay, had a ton of issues with that in my Supra and M2C, or even just setting up my M4 with my profile, i ended up needing to remove my entire profile and start over because halfway through it paired but at the same time didnt.

Again it's actually less about me being anxious and more just i'd rather not deal with that situation if it happens. Keep in mind the key fob also has a physical key built in, in case of emergencies. If the sensors on the door are malfunctioning due to damage or just because, you wont be able to get back inside the car if all you have is your phone or the card. I have the card on me because that actually worked when activating it.

I dont know maybe it's because i work in tech that i actually try not to rely on it too much. I see too many failures every single day for me to believe its a reliable option vs something thats been tried and true for decades.
You can unlock the doors with the app if the sensor fails.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 04:29 PM   #18
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I work in tech too, it's all about knowing the limits and expected outcomes. I choose to work with it, rather than against it. Just understand what the goal is and how to overcome an issue if it comes up, and you don't feel as stressed.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 04:59 PM   #19
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I work in tech too, it's all about knowing the limits and expected outcomes. I choose to work with it, rather than against it. Just understand what the goal is and how to overcome an issue if it comes up, and you don't feel as stressed.
again its not about feeling stressed trust me lol. My friends put me below a rock in terms of how stressed i get. It's just more laziness of having to deal with needing to have a solution in case something doesnt work. For me i dont use the digital key as my primary. As i stated earlier i have my M card in my wallet as a backup in case my keys get lost/stolen. However the keyfob will just always be more reliable in the long run.
Appreciate 1
showmatic152.50
      12-16-2023, 11:04 PM   #20
showmatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
again its not about feeling stressed trust me lol. My friends put me below a rock in terms of how stressed i get. It's just more laziness of having to deal with needing to have a solution in case something doesnt work. For me i dont use the digital key as my primary. As i stated earlier i have my M card in my wallet as a backup in case my keys get lost/stolen. However the keyfob will just always be more reliable in the long run.
I get what you're saying. It's just preventative measures. On my end, the only real reason I still carry my FOB instead of just using digital key is because I'm lazy as shit and I like the proximity lock/unlock lol. If our cars had Digital Key Plus, I'd definitely ditch the FOB for my phone.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 06:30 PM   #21
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by showmatic View Post
I get what you're saying. It's just preventative measures. On my end, the only real reason I still carry my FOB instead of just using digital key is because I'm lazy as shit and I like the proximity lock/unlock lol. If our cars had Digital Key Plus, I'd definitely ditch the FOB for my phone.
Yeah this is another reason for me as well. I like being able to just lock and unlock my car with just a touch of my hand without needing to take my phone out.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 03:04 PM   #22
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by showmatic View Post
Same, 100%. I used my phone as key with card in my wallet as backup with my Teslas for 4 years. Know how many times I needed to use the card? Maybe 3?

Now that I have the profiles correctly linked, I'm going to try to live with it for a week. But I think I'll miss the proximity unlock and having to go to the driver's door first prior to opening the trunk. Kind of annoying. Will see if I get used to it.

But yeah, if we had DK Plus...100% the key fob would never see the light of day.
Appreciate 1
showmatic152.50