04-16-2024, 11:06 AM   #23
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
I find it crazy how many people spend the time and money to travel internationally and proceed to pack into resorts stuffed with other tourists. Try stepping out of your comfort zone a bit. The cultural enrichment is life changing. Plenty of safe places in Mexico that are still considered tourist towns that will let you experience a new culture. There are definitely places, like the DR, where I wouldn't do that, but there are plenty of nice places in Mexico to get out and experience what Mexico has to offer, beyond the anecdotes that modern politics has tried to engrain in our heads.

I hate to give away the places I like to travel, because like everything else they're all getting overrun, but for one place in Mexico check out Bucerías. It's not far from Puerto Vallarta, considered safe for travelers, and will get you to step out of your comfort zone and experience something new. Even if it's just a day trip from your cozy resort, give it a shot.

I just got back from a similar town in Mexico. We'll be back with the family in November.

Those things are not mutually exclusive. Sometimes you want "cultural enrichment" and sometimes you don't want to do shit but lay on a beach and relax.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4414.50
      04-16-2024, 11:46 AM   #24
Innovade
Private
Rep
Drives: F82

I stayed at the Hard Rock in Cabo last year. We had a big group with 30+ people (adults and kids). They went above and beyond to make the trip special for us. It was great and the service was impeccable.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 11:50 AM   #25
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Those things are not mutually exclusive. Sometimes you want "cultural enrichment" and sometimes you don't want to do shit but lay on a beach and relax.
Sure, but doing nothing and laying on a beach to relax is also plenty possible outside of the resorts. Just because you're not at a "resort" doesn't mean you're not on the beach. It's what we did for most of the day during our trip last week. We posted up in some lounge chairs at the edge of the beach and were served drinks and food.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 10:00 PM   #26
Rockdiamond
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW IX 50 2024

Merida is a lovey city in the Yucatán. Very continental with great infrastructure. It’s about. 20 minute drive to the coast with lovely beaches. You can stay in town in a hotel or get an airbnb.
There’s smaller resorts in the nearby beach towns like Progresso.
You’re in a big city but the jungle is never more than a few minutes away.
Archaeological sites a plenty. Many Cenote’s- super fun swimming holes. And your dollars go pretty far
Appreciate 0