BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

View Poll Results: Home Owner vs Renting
Home Owner (House) 420 88.42%
Renting (Apartment or House) 56 11.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

10-25-2022, 08:15 PM   #133
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
Years and years later my kids are still talking about their experiences, rappelling down 250ft waterfalls, watching a lion hunt and kill, watching a zebra get snatched by a crock on a river crossing, diving with hammerheads in the Galapagos, shark feeds in exuma, hiking on 3,000' thick glaciers, swimming with manta rays and whale sharks in the Maldives, seeing an endangered baby rhino play with his mom, the ancient sites, temples and pyramids in Egypt. My kids can tell you stories for hours and they are only 11 & 13 with a lot more coming. Priceless!
I'm waiting for my kids to get older so I can take them on epic trips like that. Right now my daughter is 4 yrs old and my son is 6 months old.... and let's just say taking them on trips is torture for us. But once they're older and don't cry and scream as much (I'm thinking 10 and 6) - I think we'll have a great time since my wife and I used to go on some incredible trips pre-children.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
Gfit2729.00
Nate.G82522.50
      10-26-2022, 02:02 PM   #134
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBII G82 6MT

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
Years and years later my kids are still talking about their experiences, rappelling down 250ft waterfalls, watching a lion hunt and kill, watching a zebra get snatched by a crock on a river crossing, diving with hammerheads in the Galapagos, shark feeds in exuma, hiking on 3,000' thick glaciers, swimming with manta rays and whale sharks in the Maldives, seeing an endangered baby rhino play with his mom, the ancient sites, temples and pyramids in Egypt. My kids can tell you stories for hours and they are only 11 & 13 with a lot more coming. Priceless!
100% this!

I grew up in a family that was fortunate enough to have just enough. We weren't anywhere near wealthy, we struggled more than thrived, but we made it work. My father worked almost 15 hours a day while my mother worked a 9-5 and came home to take care of my ass. They worked hard to own a home and provide a good childhood experience for me.

Vacations were the things that had the highest emotional ROI. The memories I gained as a child spending time with my parents on vacations are priceless to me and them. Those memories will outlast anything I'll own physically. I work hard today so that I could repay them in kind. 2016 was their first cruise, ever. We did it again every year after without fail. We travelled Europe and Asia, we did things that we couldn't before and it's those experiences and memories that I would never trade. I look forward to the future where I could shower my kids with good memories as well.

Keep it up, Gfit. I'm sure seeing their excitement is one of the most heartwarming parts of being a parent.

In regards to the main topic of the original post, home first before car. A house is a hearth where good memories can be stored.
Appreciate 2
Gfit2729.00
jmg18819.50
      10-26-2022, 02:20 PM   #135
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Absolutely, everyone has their own ways of spending money and values different things.

You could easily say vacations are a waste of money and just have your kids read a book or watch a video on the pyramids, just like you could drive a Toyota Corolla. I imagine many of you would not agree with that, but if a car is just a way to get from point A to point B, then a vacation is just a way to acquire memories.

Personally, I hate vacations. They do nothing for me. I truly hate when my wife tells me it’s time for a vacation. Yuck. I hate hotels. I hate airplanes. I hate everything to do with travel, it’s all bad for me. I try to keep it to myself, smile, laugh, and have fun… but inside I know I’d much rather be home. My home is my favorite place on Earth. I’ve traveled quite a bit and while I enjoyed the places I was at the time, for example I enjoyed living in the Caribbean for a few years… I never think of it. The memory doesn’t bring me joy. I’m always where I am. What happened yesterday does nothing for me, never think about it. The beeches, the water, it might as well have never happened.

but of course there are so many who love travel, and there’s nothing wrong with any of that. I like living in different places but I despise vacations.

On the flip side, I love cars. Love looking at them, touching them, riding in them, hearing them (not smelling them so much lol, don’t like “new car smell” - do you know they bottle that smell and spray it at lesser dealerships? The bottle literally says “new car smell. Grossss.)

Just trying to say that everything is a waste of money to someone, and not to others.
Appreciate 2
Nate.G82522.50
GixY2K517.00
      10-26-2022, 02:38 PM   #136
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBII G82 6MT

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
Absolutely, everyone has their own ways of spending money and values different things.

You could easily say vacations are a waste of money and just have your kids read a book or watch a video on the pyramids, just like you could drive a Toyota Corolla. I imagine many of you would not agree with that, but if a car is just a way to get from point A to point B, then a vacation is just a way to acquire memories.

Personally, I hate vacations. They do nothing for me. I truly hate when my wife tells me it’s time for a vacation. Yuck. I hate hotels. I hate airplanes. I hate everything to do with travel, it’s all bad for me. I try to keep it to myself, smile, laugh, and have fun… but inside I know I’d much rather be home. My home is my favorite place on Earth. I’ve traveled quite a bit and while I enjoyed the places I was at the time, for example I enjoyed living in the Caribbean for a few years… I never think of it. The memory doesn’t bring me joy. I’m always where I am. What happened yesterday does nothing for me, never think about it. The beeches, the water, it might as well have never happened.

but of course there are so many who love travel, and there’s nothing wrong with any of that. I like living in different places but I despise vacations.

On the flip side, I love cars. Love looking at them, touching them, riding in them, hearing them (not smelling them so much lol, don’t like “new car smell” - do you know they bottle that smell and spray it at lesser dealerships? The bottle literally says “new car smell. Grossss.)

Just trying to say that everything is a waste of money to someone, and not to others.
I agree with you as well in terms of to each their own. There is no right or wrong way to spend it... unless you're actively using to demean other people haha

But yes, everyone has what makes them happy! In terms of travel, I rarely enjoy the flight there, especially with how small seats are. Even business class now feels like a normal seat. First class is of course the best if you have the money to swing it. Hotels are hit or miss. I'm thankful they're clean, but I hate how "hospital sterile" they feel sometimes.

I think your analogy with pictures and internet works well with the corolla. They both lack the same thing that makes it valuable to some: experience. Looking at pictures on the internet to learn about a place lacks the experience of being there and partaking in the culture. Just like how people that only see cars as a means of going from point A to B lack the desire of experiencing a thrill or driver's engagement. Nothing wrong with people not wanting that experience, that's just how people are.

ALSO, staycations are severely underrated. Sometimes, staying at home for a week and doing whatever you want is a blessing.
Appreciate 1
wtwo318041.50
      10-26-2022, 03:51 PM   #137
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate.G82 View Post
I agree with you as well in terms of to each their own. There is no right or wrong way to spend it... unless you're actively using to demean other people haha

But yes, everyone has what makes them happy! In terms of travel, I rarely enjoy the flight there, especially with how small seats are. Even business class now feels like a normal seat. First class is of course the best if you have the money to swing it. Hotels are hit or miss. I'm thankful they're clean, but I hate how "hospital sterile" they feel sometimes.

I think your analogy with pictures and internet works well with the corolla. They both lack the same thing that makes it valuable to some: experience. Looking at pictures on the internet to learn about a place lacks the experience of being there and partaking in the culture. Just like how people that only see cars as a means of going from point A to B lack the desire of experiencing a thrill or driver's engagement. Nothing wrong with people not wanting that experience, that's just how people are.

ALSO, staycations are severely underrated. Sometimes, staying at home for a week and doing whatever you want is a blessing.
I actually enjoy the flight there - it's like the excitement building up. Almost like the wait for my G80 (although this is a bit much... couple months would have been ok... not 8 months to a year ). The flight back on the other hand is usually pretty depressing.

Speaking of economy vs. business vs. first. I think for domestics it's true, business class is basically just economy class but with slightly wider seats. But I recently flew qatar airways business class to/from Qatar, and it was INCREDIBLE. They had the Q-suites where you basically get your own room on the plane with a door and everything. Massaging seats, big screen TV (big for the room), and absolutely incredible food that wouldn't be out of place at an upscale restaurant. Plus I got some super comfy pajamas to change into, and the flight attendants come and offer turn-down service where they convert your seat into a bed with pillow, mattress topper and blanket.

I think a lot of other airlines are starting to offer similar experiences in their international business class seats... I HIGHLY recommend it.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
Gfit2729.00
Nate.G82522.50
      10-26-2022, 06:43 PM   #138
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

I love being home as well. I keep telling my wife that we don't spend enough time just being home and enjoying the house. Every weekend we're out and about, and sometimes I just want to enjoy the house or even do yard work. What's wrong with being home?

However, I love vacations. I love hotels, I love that feeling of being at the airport and flying to a new place. It's not all perfect, I hate security lines (TSA Pre-Check is a MUST), I hate staying in some airbnb that's just not doing it for me etc... but I also love doing new things that just isn't possible at home. Just this past summer we went on a Alaskan cruise and decided to splurge on a Helicopter ride to the top of the Hubbard Glacier where we took a tour by dogsled. Then we took the Heli closer to the bottom and hiked around, found lots of blue pools and peeked at some underice waterfalls etc. It was one of those once in a lifetime experiences that I will never forget, and that we can't do at home.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 4
curd21.00
Nate.G82522.50
wtwo318041.50
pinky_chi173.50
      10-27-2022, 04:01 AM   #139
DO444
Banned
Rep

To be honest, I think part of the issue for me is the covid years. I was supposed to go to Japan at the end of 2019 and of course, we didn’t go because I read ZH and knew about covid a solid month or two before anyone. I was telling people and they thought I was nuts.

It’s all ruined for me, the way the world has changed has just made it much more attractive to be home. I get very… angry at all the Bs. I don’t want to see or hear anymore of the lunacy. I don’t have the right temperament for traveling in the post covid world.

Another part of it is just residual frustration with the liberal world order. It’s been permanently stamped into my brain that I’m a colonizing metastatic patriarch and I literally cannot have fun anymore if I have to ask anyone for anything.

I was thinking about it and I didn’t always hate travel. But, I do now. I’m supposed to go to Japan again soon and I know once I get there it’ll be ok (because none of the mental sickness of the west, the social justice crap) has really taken hold there.

Here, I just feel like there’s a really good chance that this person whose job is literally to help me in my travel, probably despises me for simply asking them to do their job.

I find myself overly polite to people now, almost acting as if I’m doing there job rather than them… like, can I get YOU anything hotel employee?

Can I make YOU feel better airline steward?

I’m just tired of the whole thing, and while it certainly is my issue and I’m very glad none of you seem to suffer it. I so much prefer staying home or local where I don’t need anyone for anything lol.

I do truly hate airplanes and hotels however. I used to be ok with hotels but now all I see is germs, and I can’t trust anyone because I witnessed just how much people in the service industry hate the people they are serving.

I have a serious case of liberal world order fatigue, a very serious case of social justice fatigue. I used to be amenable to these arguments and now I have to work really hard to stay calm and not be angry, to not provoke people just to start an argument for the fuck of it.

It’s all terrible.
I don’t want to go to Japan at all, but I know once I get there it’ll be ok.

If I do go I’ll post some pics.
Hoping to maybe visit the Toyota museum among other things. A lot of it is I’m just burned out on the west and the constant 24/7 analysis of race/class dynamics.

Vacations, absent the travel itself, aren’t bad.
I still would choose to spend money differently if it were up to me because I value items/things far more than experiences.

I also lived on a beach for 2 1/2 years and was sorta-retired by 26 so I’m not your average person who is cooped up in an office all day. That probably has something to do with it also.

For me it’s just like, my home is basically paradise. Why do I want to leave it, my dogs, my comforts, all MY things in the way I want them with the food I want… to have to deal with Covid Planet.

I hear ya’ll though.
I think flying on a copter in the arctic would def be cool!
Then again, so is sitting on my chesterfield with a Heineken watching Deadliest Catch on a nice OLED/Sound System.

It’s just so easy to be home lol, and although I have not tested this in a few years, I fear the reward for leaving is not quite worth it to me. Something changed in me and I just literally cannot fucking stand stupidity, rudeness, or the general failure of systems which should work but don’t/society anymore.

Idk, my trust is at an all time low. Boeings new airplanes still fall out of the sky don’t they?

That’s hilarious unless you’re on a 747MAX. Who built that shitbox?
How is it possible that a company could build airplanes 50 years ago, and can’t now?

(Well, it’s clearly due to the people they employ.)

I could tell you some stories man, stupid shit that has happened that shouldn’t have happened. People almost dying for no reason except the absolute idiocy and unreliability of others… and my tolerance for it all has dropped to 0.

I guess that’s more of a personal issue and has nothing to do with vacations per se lmao.
😂

I prefer situations where I can only blame myself!
I try pretty hard to not let it out, but anger has become a core part of my personality since 2019 and being at home is the best place for me due to it.

Last edited by DO444; 10-27-2022 at 04:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 04:19 AM   #140
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate.G82 View Post

I actually enjoy the flight there - it's like the excitement building up. Almost like the wait for my G80 (although this is a bit much... couple months would have been ok... not 8 months to a year ). The flight back on the other hand is usually pretty depressing.

Speaking of economy vs. business vs. first. I think for domestics it's true, business class is basically just economy class but with slightly wider seats. But I recently flew qatar airways business class to/from Qatar, and it was INCREDIBLE. They had the Q-suites where you basically get your own room on the plane with a door and everything. Massaging seats, big screen TV (big for the room), and absolutely incredible food that wouldn't be out of place at an upscale restaurant. Plus I got some super comfy pajamas to change into, and the flight attendants come and offer turn-down service where they convert your seat into a bed with pillow, mattress topper and blanket.

I think a lot of other airlines are starting to offer similar experiences in their international business class seats... I HIGHLY recommend it.
100%. We get the family qsuite. The flights are now almost as fun and enjoyable as the rest of the trip.
Appreciate 2
wtwo318041.50
Nate.G82522.50
      10-27-2022, 10:59 AM   #141
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
To be honest, I think part of the issue for me is the covid years. I was supposed to go to Japan at the end of 2019 and of course, we didn’t go because I read ZH and knew about covid a solid month or two before anyone. I was telling people and they thought I was nuts.

It’s all ruined for me, the way the world has changed has just made it much more attractive to be home. I get very… angry at all the Bs. I don’t want to see or hear anymore of the lunacy. I don’t have the right temperament for traveling in the post covid world.

Another part of it is just residual frustration with the liberal world order. It’s been permanently stamped into my brain that I’m a colonizing metastatic patriarch and I literally cannot have fun anymore if I have to ask anyone for anything.

I was thinking about it and I didn’t always hate travel. But, I do now. I’m supposed to go to Japan again soon and I know once I get there it’ll be ok (because none of the mental sickness of the west, the social justice crap) has really taken hold there.

Here, I just feel like there’s a really good chance that this person whose job is literally to help me in my travel, probably despises me for simply asking them to do their job.

I find myself overly polite to people now, almost acting as if I’m doing there job rather than them… like, can I get YOU anything hotel employee?

Can I make YOU feel better airline steward?

I’m just tired of the whole thing, and while it certainly is my issue and I’m very glad none of you seem to suffer it. I so much prefer staying home or local where I don’t need anyone for anything lol.

I do truly hate airplanes and hotels however. I used to be ok with hotels but now all I see is germs, and I can’t trust anyone because I witnessed just how much people in the service industry hate the people they are serving.

I have a serious case of liberal world order fatigue, a very serious case of social justice fatigue. I used to be amenable to these arguments and now I have to work really hard to stay calm and not be angry, to not provoke people just to start an argument for the fuck of it.

It’s all terrible.
I don’t want to go to Japan at all, but I know once I get there it’ll be ok.

If I do go I’ll post some pics.
Hoping to maybe visit the Toyota museum among other things. A lot of it is I’m just burned out on the west and the constant 24/7 analysis of race/class dynamics.

Vacations, absent the travel itself, aren’t bad.
I still would choose to spend money differently if it were up to me because I value items/things far more than experiences.

I also lived on a beach for 2 1/2 years and was sorta-retired by 26 so I’m not your average person who is cooped up in an office all day. That probably has something to do with it also.

For me it’s just like, my home is basically paradise. Why do I want to leave it, my dogs, my comforts, all MY things in the way I want them with the food I want… to have to deal with Covid Planet.

I hear ya’ll though.
I think flying on a copter in the arctic would def be cool!
Then again, so is sitting on my chesterfield with a Heineken watching Deadliest Catch on a nice OLED/Sound System.

It’s just so easy to be home lol, and although I have not tested this in a few years, I fear the reward for leaving is not quite worth it to me. Something changed in me and I just literally cannot fucking stand stupidity, rudeness, or the general failure of systems which should work but don’t/society anymore.

Idk, my trust is at an all time low. Boeings new airplanes still fall out of the sky don’t they?

That’s hilarious unless you’re on a 747MAX. Who built that shitbox?
How is it possible that a company could build airplanes 50 years ago, and can’t now?

(Well, it’s clearly due to the people they employ.)

I could tell you some stories man, stupid shit that has happened that shouldn’t have happened. People almost dying for no reason except the absolute idiocy and unreliability of others… and my tolerance for it all has dropped to 0.

I guess that’s more of a personal issue and has nothing to do with vacations per se lmao.
😂

I prefer situations where I can only blame myself!
I try pretty hard to not let it out, but anger has become a core part of my personality since 2019 and being at home is the best place for me due to it.
I'm not sure how old you are, but I totally understand where you are coming from, being in my 40's and feeling a little curmudgeonly about more things than I used to. I do think a lot of that is internal.

Idiots far outnumber the non-idiots, but I don't think that's anything new. It's just that now, people are more prone to choosing a side and being vocal about it, be it liberals or conservatives. I tend to stay away from picking a side. I'm a moderate. So instead of seeing a "liberal world" or a "conservative middle America" I just see people who I disagree with on some issues, but agree with on others. In a sense, being in the middle has afforded me the luxury of not being too offended by most people. I also think the world is going to be a harder place to be in if you assume covid mandates are a liberal agenda. As a conservative, every sign you see of masks required or social distancing will annoy you. As a liberal or moderate, it will not. De-politicizing things just makes life better.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 12:25 PM   #142
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftingG82 View Post
Good Morning from NY. I've been thinking about this since I saw the G82 in person.

I would like to know how many others who are pulling the trigger on a G8x M3/M4 are still renting an apartment. I really want a G82 but I'm tired of renting and want a home for myself where I could park my cars inside my own garage. If I pull the trigger on the G82 I won't be able to buy a house for another five years which doesn't really bother me that much, but it will be on the back of my mind especially since I don't have a garage near my current location so I'll end up parking the car on the street.

I know the car is going to lose value everyday I drive it, while a house might stay the same or go up in value in most cases. But, I'm a car guy, I love cars, I do most of my mechanic work myself, and LOVE high speed, shifting my own gears, and car technology. I've had numerous days where work was horrible, but the minute I turn on my car I forget about everything and just pay attention to the operating temperature of the car before I hammer it! Sadly, when I come home from a horrible day at work I don't admire my apartment. I just want my bed and start a new day the next day.

I just want to know how irrational or rational my thoughts are and whether I'm the only one that's going through this. If you were in a similar boat in the past can you tell me what you ended up going with and how things are now?
Oh my you must be so young.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 01:11 PM   #143
pinky_chi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6mt

Threads like this are what I appreciated about this forum over previous car forums I've been on. Maybe there isn't as much technical info here as in a Miata forum but I learn just as much (in areas that matter!). Keep passing on those life lessons to us younger folks.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 01:57 PM   #144
bimmerfanpk2020
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by disancke View Post
I was laughing out loudly when I saw this thread. I thought I was the only one who rents an apartment and don't own a garage

I'm 25 and nearly two years after my graduation I'm to pick up my G82 soon. I feel blessed that I found a good job for living so that I can save up the money and buy it in cash. Meanwhile, I was majoring in Econ and Finance so I definitely know this is not a rational decision. Buying a house would be a much better investment while cars only depreciate.

For me it's all about timing. My previous F32 was totaled in the Hurricane Ida last year and then I thought why not jump directly to my dream car although I'd be using up all my savings. I'm confident that I won't mess up my life with this $100k short, which is relatively 'minimal' thinking of a house in tristate. Also, I'm not married but I believe my quasi-fiancee won't enjoy seeing me buying a G82 when we are preparing for a baby. I'd have to buy a more boring car then. Considering the transition to hybrid and electric cars, it's a now or never situation for me.

It's a shame that G80/G82 is designed for a life stage during which most people are not able to afford it. Still I saw many people in their 30s and 40s ordering G80/G82 and I do admire that. Hope I have the passion towards performance cars throughout my entire life.
Good to see others like me on this thread as well! I'm almost 26 and been a professional worker now for 3 years almost. I rent and am also married. The argument that "owning a g82 vs a home" doesn't exist for me in 2022. In todays housing market, reading, and seeing how much homes cost homes are not really the "investments" they've been told to me in my opinion. I've been lucky enough to lease a 330i, an m340i, own a f82 and now recently a g82 in the last two years. I've loved cars and thanks to this crazy market and some hunting and research I've been able to experience 2 BMWs under a lease and trade them for profit. Own a unique f82 and sell it for no loss and now get into a g82 at msrp. My idea is always putting the bare min down and investing and averaging. Thankfully I make enough that the cost of a car loan is not burdensome and allows me to proactively wait for the right time to buy a home. At least one thing I can say now is if I'm driving a Honda crossover in my 30s I won't feel the regret of never being able to drive an M in my 20s. And THANK the lord my apartment has a garage for my car
Appreciate 1
disancke142.00
      10-27-2022, 02:53 PM   #145
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I'm not sure how old you are, but I totally understand where you are coming from, being in my 40's and feeling a little curmudgeonly about more things than I used to. I do think a lot of that is internal.

Idiots far outnumber the non-idiots, but I don't think that's anything new. It's just that now, people are more prone to choosing a side and being vocal about it, be it liberals or conservatives. I tend to stay away from picking a side. I'm a moderate. So instead of seeing a "liberal world" or a "conservative middle America" I just see people who I disagree with on some issues, but agree with on others. In a sense, being in the middle has afforded me the luxury of not being too offended by most people. I also think the world is going to be a harder place to be in if you assume covid mandates are a liberal agenda. As a conservative, every sign you see of masks required or social distancing will annoy you. As a liberal or moderate, it will not. De-politicizing things just makes life better.
Yep, 44.
I had a kid almost killed by an incompetent employee (actually 3 of them) at a ski lodge and that was the final straw. I probably should have explained that, but it’s a long story. She was dangling 30ft in the air from the lift. I was holding on to her for dear life. 3 kids in the box not paying attention cause they don’t give a fuck.

They stop us at literally the highest point and tell me to drop her.
I couldn’t scream or swear anymore because my voice was already horse from all the screaming I had been doing trying to get anyone at all to stop the fucking lift.

Obviously I’m not dropping my kid 30ft in the air to morons down below.
We make it to the top.
Their greatest concern - I swore too much.

I still sorta want to kill them, but are they any different from the rest of the people working low wage jobs?

Probably not.

I used to make $6 bucks an hour and I’d never consider hating society for that. I may have thought it was unfair but it didn’t cause me to hate society and all the rest of the BS happening.

Not political, per se, but I do blame one group of people more than another.
Thank God my kid is fine but We haven’t ski’d in 2 years and idk if we will again. It’s kinda just the icing on the cake tbh. The sum total of experience is overall poor in terms of what I can expect from others in America.

Now, traveling outside the United States is somewhat different.
Certain countries are not a problem at all.

Anyway, thanks and I should have explained better. That ski trip really just kinda ended vacations for me. Put that together with covid and I said nevermind!
She made it to the top of the mountain just holding on by one hand. I was holding her, couldn’t get a better grip with all the shit we were wearing and afraid if I tried I’d drop her.

Fuckin assholes, you think the company cares?
Nope.

Next week I got a Black Lives Matter flier from the lodges owners.
😂

Fuck America, cause America says fuck me.
that’s kinda my general consensus, not really political per se although I do blame one group more than another.

Hope that explains it a lil. It’s way off track sry.

Last edited by DO444; 10-27-2022 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 03:12 PM   #146
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Quote:

Same page here.

Hate flying, traveling, hotels, airports, and most of all, coordinating it all.

+20yrs. of military travel in, out and around the AOR, pretty much destroyed my nerve to fly/travel. But thanks to this and other issues, I can afford my toys (retired military w/ a VA rating know what I'm talking about)

However, when it comes to travel history in the military, my best one-year paid vacation was my short-tour to Diego Garcia, while being in-charge of a good chunk of the island; it was like having my own private island w/ a crystal clear lagoon, and stories that will be taken to my grave.

But to echo what's already been said, to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 03:55 PM   #147
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, 44.
I had a kid almost killed by an incompetent employee (actually 3 of them) at a ski lodge and that was the final straw. I probably should have explained that, but it's a long story. She was dangling 30ft in the air from the lift. I was holding on to her for dear life. 3 kids in the box not paying attention cause they don't give a fuck.

They stop us at literally the highest point and tell me to drop her.
I couldn't scream or swear anymore because my voice was already horse from all the screaming I had been doing trying to get anyone at all to stop the fucking lift.

Obviously I'm not dropping my kid 30ft in the air to morons down below.
We make it to the top.
Their greatest concern - I swore too much.

I still sorta want to kill them, but are they any different from the rest of the people working low wage jobs?

Probably not.

I used to make $6 bucks an hour and I'd never consider hating society for that. I may have thought it was unfair but it didn't cause me to hate society and all the rest of the BS happening.

Not political, per se, but I do blame one group of people more than another.
Thank God my kid is fine but We haven't ski'd in 2 years and idk if we will again. It's kinda just the icing on the cake tbh. The sum total of experience is overall poor in terms of what I can expect from others in America.

Now, traveling outside the United States is somewhat different.
Certain countries are not a problem at all.

Anyway, thanks and I should have explained better. That ski trip really just kinda ended vacations for me. Put that together with covid and I said nevermind!
She made it to the top of the mountain just holding on by one hand. I was holding her, couldn't get a better grip with all the shit we were wearing and afraid if I tried I'd drop her.

Fuckin assholes, you think the company cares?
Nope.

Next week I got a Black Lives Matter flier from the lodges owners.
😂

Fuck America, cause America says fuck me.
that's kinda my general consensus, not really political per se although I do blame one group more than another.

Hope that explains it a lil. It's way off track sry.
It explains a lot and that's an awful situation. Like I said, there are way more idiots than not. They far outnumber us. Mostly I feel like the younger generation are to entitled and self centered to even consider other people's perspectives. Ironically they take up the banner of some social justice movement, right or wrong. It becomes more like a trend to follow than actually caring about the well being of others. Your daughter wasn't a "cause" they could get social points on, so they didn't burn too many calories for her well being. I totally get it. While I can't blame one group over another, simply because it's not productive, I can understand how frustrating it is for people to pretend to care about a hashtag rather than the people right in front of them. Whether it's #blm, #maga, #metoo etc, people pretend to care of fool themselves into thinking they are righteous while simultaneously being shitty to people in real life.

Anyway, that was a big tangent.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 03:59 PM   #148
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfanpk2020 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by disancke View Post
I was laughing out loudly when I saw this thread. I thought I was the only one who rents an apartment and don't own a garage

I'm 25 and nearly two years after my graduation I'm to pick up my G82 soon. I feel blessed that I found a good job for living so that I can save up the money and buy it in cash. Meanwhile, I was majoring in Econ and Finance so I definitely know this is not a rational decision. Buying a house would be a much better investment while cars only depreciate.

For me it's all about timing. My previous F32 was totaled in the Hurricane Ida last year and then I thought why not jump directly to my dream car although I'd be using up all my savings. I'm confident that I won't mess up my life with this $100k short, which is relatively 'minimal' thinking of a house in tristate. Also, I'm not married but I believe my quasi-fiancee won't enjoy seeing me buying a G82 when we are preparing for a baby. I'd have to buy a more boring car then. Considering the transition to hybrid and electric cars, it's a now or never situation for me.

It's a shame that G80/G82 is designed for a life stage during which most people are not able to afford it. Still I saw many people in their 30s and 40s ordering G80/G82 and I do admire that. Hope I have the passion towards performance cars throughout my entire life.
Good to see others like me on this thread as well! I'm almost 26 and been a professional worker now for 3 years almost. I rent and am also married. The argument that "owning a g82 vs a home" doesn't exist for me in 2022. In todays housing market, reading, and seeing how much homes cost homes are not really the "investments" they've been told to me in my opinion. I've been lucky enough to lease a 330i, an m340i, own a f82 and now recently a g82 in the last two years. I've loved cars and thanks to this crazy market and some hunting and research I've been able to experience 2 BMWs under a lease and trade them for profit. Own a unique f82 and sell it for no loss and now get into a g82 at msrp. My idea is always putting the bare min down and investing and averaging. Thankfully I make enough that the cost of a car loan is not burdensome and allows me to proactively wait for the right time to buy a home. At least one thing I can say now is if I'm driving a Honda crossover in my 30s I won't feel the regret of never being able to drive an M in my 20s. And THANK the lord my apartment has a garage for my car
It seems like apartments in my area with garages have all been converted to townhomes. You're lucky!

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 04:17 PM   #149
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It explains a lot and that's an awful situation. Like I said, there are way more idiots than not. They far outnumber us. Mostly I feel like the younger generation are to entitled and self centered to even consider other people's perspectives. Ironically they take up the banner of some social justice movement, right or wrong. It becomes more like a trend to follow than actually caring about the well being of others. Your daughter wasn't a "cause" they could get social points on, so they didn't burn too many calories for her well being. I totally get it. While I can't blame one group over another, simply because it's not productive, I can understand how frustrating it is for people to pretend to care about a hashtag rather than the people right in front of them. Whether it's #blm, #maga, #metoo etc, people pretend to care of fool themselves into thinking they are righteous while simultaneously being shitty to people in real life.

Anyway, that was a big tangent.
No, that’s EXACTLY it.
They don’t give a single F. You nailed it.
They don’t care about the people right in front of them, the definitely don’t care about #blm, or anything else. It’s just a cause celebre to score sjw points. They came close to killing a kid and they were most bothered that I swore too much. Never even so much as a single apology from anyone. They treated me like I did something wrong. Wrote a letter to the owner/company… no reply, couldn’t care less. They sent me a blm “heartfelt” advertisement to let me know they were committed to “the cause.”

It was a defining experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 05:17 PM   #150
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
The argument that "owning a g82 vs a home" doesn't exist for me in 2022. In todays housing market, reading, and seeing how much homes cost homes are not really the "investments" they've been told to me in my opinion.
I used to think that as well but overall I think a house is definitely still an investment, maybe just not in such a big way as it used to be 30+ years ago given the big swings in the housing market we see nowadays.

When my wife and I bought our first house it was at the tail end of 2007. The housing market at that time was cooling off a bit but we had no idea it would sink as low as it did the following few years after we bought. We paid $257k for the house and at one point it was down all the way to about $98k. We almost walked away from it as it felt pointless to keep paying a mortgage on something that went down in value so much…

In the end we stayed in the house and just held on through the years, and well look what happened again, the housing market went absolutely nuts again. We ended up selling the house for $458k last year even without ever doing any major repairs/renovations during the time we owned it. Sure, we definitely ended up overpaying for the house we are in now but it is in a far better neighborhood, it is over twice the size of our other house, and I have zero doubts that if the housing market were to go down again like it did in 2008, we'll still come out ahead once again.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
wtwo318041.50
      10-27-2022, 06:16 PM   #151
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
I used to think that as well but overall I think a house is definitely still an investment, maybe just not in such a big way as it used to be 30+ years ago given the big swings in the housing market we see nowadays.

When my wife and I bought our first house it was at the tail end of 2007. The housing market at that time was cooling off a bit but we had no idea it would sink as low as it did the following few years after we bought. We paid $257k for the house and at one point it was down all the way to about $98k. We almost walked away from it as it felt pointless to keep paying a mortgage on something that went down in value so much…

In the end we stayed in the house and just held on through the years, and well look what happened again, the housing market went absolutely nuts again. We ended up selling the house for $458k last year even without ever doing any major repairs/renovations during the time we owned it. Sure, we definitely ended up overpaying for the house we are in now but it is in a far better neighborhood, it is over twice the size of our other house, and I have zero doubts that if the housing market were to go down again like it did in 2008, we'll still come out ahead once again.
Yeah I don't really understand the argument of homes not being an investment... If you're not living with your parents, then you're either paying your own mortgage, or your paying someone else's mortgage. I'd rather pay my own as opposed to someone else's. Buying a home for yourself to live in takes on a completely different dynamic compared to an investment property.

Appreciate 2
chicagofan0019254.00
Mike00105.00
      10-27-2022, 09:44 PM   #152
bimmerfanpk2020
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post

Yeah I don't really understand the argument of homes not being an investment... If you're not living with your parents, then you're either paying your own mortgage, or your paying someone else's mortgage. I'd rather pay my own as opposed to someone else's. Buying a home for yourself to live in takes on a completely different dynamic compared to an investment property.
I get that too which is why I'd like to get one eventually. But that the same time, with a market right now, a home is not an investment for me unless I rent it out or it's cash flowing. Between the monthly expenses, repairs, property taxes etc I'd have to hold for quite the while for me to justify a home being an investment. I work remotely and the mobility and freedom of an apartment is fine. Where I live will always be an expense, whether that's an apartment or a home I "own"
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 09:58 PM   #153
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Where I live will always be an expense, whether that's an apartment or a home I "own"
Right.. but one of those expenses comes back to you in the form of equity. That's what I'm trying to say. You're paying either way... the question is do you want to build equity for someone else or for yourself?

I understand exceptions like the ability to be mobile... but just talking in general terms.

Appreciate 1
Mike00105.00
      10-27-2022, 10:05 PM   #154
bimmerfanpk2020
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Where I live will always be an expense, whether that's an apartment or a home I "own"
Right.. but one of those expenses comes back to you in the form of equity. That's what I'm trying to say. You're paying either way... the question is do you want to build equity for someone else or for yourself?

I understand exceptions like the ability to be mobile... but just talking in general terms.
100% generally speaking I'd rather build equity too. Just a matter of the right time!
Appreciate 1
wtwo318041.50