BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

07-13-2021, 08:43 PM   #23
DAlby18
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Toronto Red M3 Competition

jdarwin Awsome write up. You just made the wait for my G80 AWD that much more painful. Thanks a bunch and hope to hear more positive experiences from other members.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 12:14 AM   #24
bobkalka
bkalka
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i - Frozen Arctic

COTA!

I was there two days later for the afternoon session. Was able to drive the M2C (autocross), M3C and M5C (laps on the track), and M4C, M8C, X5M and X6M (drag racing). This was my first event like this, and I was hooked - tons of fun.

Incidentally, I have a preorder in for the i4 M50, and was wondering if this event would change my mind. While the M5 indeed was more composed on the track, I loved the M4 feel the best, so...sticking my with next choice.

Kudos to BMW for these events, was first class.
Attached Images

07-17-2021, 11:56 AM   #25
sunna
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: n/a

I was there Saturday afternoon as well. What an amazing experience, first time doing anything like that and I agree it is very addicting. I can’t want to get my M4C and take it to COTA with the goal of becoming a better track driver. I felt like I was in a constant battle between fear and exhilaration, I imagine I’ll conquer the fear once it becomes more familiar. Taking some of those turns at high speeds I just kept hearing a voice in the back of my head screaming “you’re about to lose grip and start sliding!” But the car never did. Very impressive how fast you can take those turns and it feels planted.

I also agree about the X5M being one of the most memorable. That car stuck out it my mind throughout the whole day even though I only got to do a very short drag race with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 10:06 PM   #26
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
I just did an M track Day at Laguna Seca and it was a ton of fun. I've got a G80 Comp xDrive on order and while the event only has the RWD Comp, it gave me a great idea of the beautiful and extremely capable machine that will be coming my way. The M3 is an absolute beast on the track. It is so powerful and had great grip all throughout even in its RWD variation. No matter how long I kept the pedal down on straightaways, it kept on wanting to chug on harder. I will note that from the 0-60 challenge, it did have the most noticeable time period between kick down and launch. The guy from BMW said "turbo lag doesn't exist" - the car is programmed to not go crazy until it hits 1500 RPM. But the moment it kicks in, its a monster. I didn't have a chance to verify if it was at 1500 RPM when it took off as I was too focused on the road.

Also, special shoutout to the M2 which was so damn fun on the autocross, so nimble and powerful.

Highly recommend this event for anyone that wants to get silly in a bunch of M cars that you don't have to maintain
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2021, 11:38 PM   #27
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Did one at Monticello in early Oct. Agree with the reviews above.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 10:03 PM   #28
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I also recently did the M track day at Laguna Seca. I was there on 11/5 last Friday. What a great event. I had a lot of fun sampling the cars available.

I have been eyeballing the G80 M3 since the reviews started coming out and this car didn’t disappoint. However I will get to that in a minute.

I did the half day starting in the morning at 8am. I would say we roughly got on track at about 9am. Pretty cold morning - also it was evident there was some moisture on the track from overnight fog.

I got randomly grouped up to drive the M5 Comp in the first group out for the day. I was very surprised- the M5 was an intense experience. The car felt consistently out of control. I don’t know if it was a combination of cold track / cold tires and 617 horsepower but it was clear to me that car needed a *very* steady hand. The instructors set the cars up - made sure all the nannies were set to on. My partner who was the first driver of the day didn’t change those settings. The staff running the track day made it very clear to leave everything enabled so we did.

The instructor we followed on the lead follow lap set a quick pace out of the gate. I confirmed the cars were loose when I could tell the instructor in front of us was using all of his skill to keep his car pointed in the right direction. Intense. At one point we were heading down the straight to turn one with my partner driving. Somehow the car got a bit unsettled at the crest of the blind hump there. I’m not sure if he lifted or if he maybe was a little too aggressive with brake pressure but wow. I was looking down track out of the passenger window. With a little counter steering and some nanny help he got the car back in shape.

After that experience my heart was racing. It was great fun and not every day you are in the shotgun seat doing an unintentional power slide through turn one at laguna in a 110k+ 617hp sedan.

So it was my turn to drive. I thought surely my buddy was being a bit of a goof but I quickly confirmed that car was loose. It was tremendously fast. Almost too fast. And big and heavy. I finally got a chance to experience the car though turn one myself and found the same behavior. The car got very light - and it was damn loose threshold braking. That car definitely felt like it wanted to bring the back around when braking into a corner at speed. The key was to keep the wheel straight while under braking. Surprising. The M5 comp is a pure animal. Maybe I suck at driving? who knows. But if you want an adrenaline rush I suggest taking that car to a cold track with cold tires. You won’t be disappointed.

On the other hand the G80 M3 comp was night and day difference. Granted our time with that car was in the afternoon after the track warmed up - and the tires had some heat. The M3 felt very controlled - very buttoned down. Each lap I felt I could lean further into the cars limits without fear of the car biting back (like the m5 comp). Threshold braking with the M3? no problem. The car did feel a bit light over T1 but never out of control. The front end grip is amazing. The body is so controlled. In any turn the M3 is just so adjustable. If you want to the back to step out just a small tiny bit - add a little throttle. If you want the front to bite a bit more just lift. It just felt so easy to adjust the attitude of the car and get pointed in the right direction out of the turn. The car is just great. Felt much lighter than it is on paper. Brakes were perfect. Transmission always had the gear I wanted I never felt it hunting or hesitating. The M3 Comp is just dialed.

Other things: didn’t like the carbon seats. I’ve had the Porsche carbon buckets - those are great. I fit and can drive in those all day. The M3 carbon seats felt too narrow and I couldn’t get it in the right position. If I order the m3 comp I’ll likely skip those seats. The synthetic engine noise was probably my least favorite thing about the car. But I heard you can disable that.

Given that experience I’m seriously in the market for one. Just wondering what color combo I should get. It’s a great car. Best M3 I’ve experienced in terms of balance / handling.

Bonus question for owners: how is the stereo for music?
Appreciate 2
Alarmin505.00