07-11-2021, 08:41 PM   #1
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Advice E36 transmission & Diff fluid : Indy shop vs BMW

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Recently picked up an E36 and was looking for advice but didn't see a dedicated E36 M3 section. I did post on bimmer forums but didn't get many responses, so thought I'd ask you guys. Maybe I'm posting in the wrong section but here it goes. Wondering if I should go with Indy shop recommendation or bmw recommendation.

1. My Indy shop recommended :

Automatic Transmission Fluid 134 - Pentosin 1088117

And

75W140 GL-5 Gear Oil - Red Line 57914

2. BMW recommended:

BMW 75W80 MTF-LT-2 Manual Transmission Fluid (1 Liter) - Genuine BMW 83222339219

And

BMW Differential Service Kit 75W90 - Genuine BMW 33117525064KT5

I was under the impression ATF was the way to go for the tranny fluid but looks like BMW recommends MTF.

Thoughts? This is for a manual 5 speed e36 w/ S50 engine (1995). Car is driven as a daily, no track duty.

Advice is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 04:20 AM   #2
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Both advices are partly wrong imho.

For diff fluid, you need the 75w140 with friction modifiers (so 'limited slip' has to be mentioned on the bottle), as as far as I could find you have a clutch type limited slip differential. So that Red Line 57914 is a compatible oil. (there are of course plenty others. for example from castrol.)
The reason why clutch type limited slip differentials in general need 75w140 is that the clutch pack heats up the oil when engaged, so it needs a wider temperature range. (hence the 140)

For the transmission you need a MTF-LT-2 compatible oil. So the BMW 83222339219 is correct. But any oil with MTF-LT-2 will do (I think Castrol, Febi, Meyle and lots of others have one, don't know which ones are available in the US).
I don't know if ATF would damage the transmission, but I wouldn't risk it. Things like Oring, gasket and synchromesh compatibility can be critical, especially on older stuff.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0