04-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #45
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Nice write up and nice looking car!

I like the idea of renting out my car to make $ as a side hustle but my OCD prevents me from even letting my fiancé drive my car, let alone a complete stranger lol. I sometimes wish I had the same mentality as you when it comes to my vehicles though.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 2
chicagofan0019057.50
Masander261.00
      04-28-2021, 01:46 PM   #46
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro9 View Post
I would Turo out my wife before my car..haha
Now you're going to get PM's like crazy…
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 02:23 PM   #47
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Thanks for this thread. Great looking car BTW.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 02:58 PM   #48
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYounglove10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by biznis32 View Post
911 has a softer ride overall??? I'm shocked to read that. I'm currently in a 2019 991.2 base and one of the reasons why I'm considering an M4 is for a more compliant ride. I find the 911 challenging in city driving. Do you mind elaborating on your observation? Interested to know.
Sure absolutely.

You'll hear a lot of professional reviewers comment on how well-sorted chassis/suspensions have a one up-one down response in how the shocks will interact with what it meets in the road.

Perhaps this is better understood as primary and secondary movement in how the suspension "suspends". The M4 feels like it has more secondary movement. It's not uncomfortable, just a bit less settled.

I feel like the 911, although sporty and obviously firm, did a better job getting settled over choppy pavement, whereas the M4 feels like it "skips" a bit more over the same type/quality of road.

I live downtown Phx, so not the best road quality for reference.
I agree with this. I have a 6MT M3 and "skipping" on rough roads is a good way of describing it, particularly if you're accelerating.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 03:13 PM   #49
biznis32
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Does it vibrate through the cabin? I took an 6MT M4 for a quick test drive and I found it to glide over the road imperfections better compared to my 911.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24973.00
Zucco3.50
      04-28-2021, 03:48 PM   #50
Karter_Brazy
Eurosteps
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F06 / MB W212 / BMW F48

Quote:
Hi all,

It's been many years since my last posts on this forum (13). Much time has passed and I count myself incredibly lucky to reach out and introduce to you my new AW M4 Comp.

First, I'll make I have a few comments based on previous and current experiences around tech as a multiple time Audi owner ('18 A5 sportback with APR/032 mods, '20 Q8 s-line/black optics, fiancé is driving a '21 Q7 prestige, the daily driver).

I also owned a '17 991.2 base 911 for about 18 months and will make some performance comparisons there.

Tech:
Latest Audi MMI interface (two screens controlling media/climate) is a bit more user friendly in the sense there aren't quite as many steps involved to get to a particular menu.

BMW has much less lag during initial startup.

Apple CarPlay is MUCH quicker to connect on the M4 then any of the 3 Audis I have owned. The Audis would also disconnect at random moments mid-drive. This was never resolved even after firmware updates.

The M4's HUD is amazing, especially in MSport mode with the large tach front and center. Makes you feel very aware and dare I say "safe" during spirited driving, especially during break in. I really appreciate having that information at hand. Not that I would wheel the Q7/Q8 in anywhere near the same degree as the M4, but I do drive my cars with intent and the Audis have a much smaller HUD footprint.

The HK sound system is really a let down coming from the B/O systems in all 3 Audis (mid tier system, not the $5900 one). Even compared to the sportback, which was known to sound a bit drowned out due to the open hatch nature of the vehicle, it had tighter base, crisper treble, although the mids are better on the M4.

I really do appreciate having some buttons again compared to the 2 SUVs with full touch screen everything. The Audis looked amazing, and worked fairly well/was responsive to touch, but nothing can supplement the simple tactility of pressing a button.

For the price, cooled seats should be standard. I'm in AZ, so its very much needed. The BMWapp aircon preconditioning is pretty amazing. That's not a feature available on Audi and is a game changer.

I'm in Tech/Staffing as a profession, and a Turo PowerHost as a side business, so my world tends to lean towards "tech" in genera, and the M4 seems to fit that type of lifestyle.

Performance: 991.2 base vs M4.

For this comparison, I'll focus simply on the performance and not the tech, seeming the 911 was quite a bit dated in comparison tech-wise.

Power/Speed: the M4 Comp is quicker, hands down. At every speed, from a dig or roll, the 500+hp M4 would walk my 911. Both are underrated power-wise, but no comparison.

Suspension: the 911 was a softer ride overall. It was a mom SPASM car with the base suspension, but 20" carrera classic wheels. It tramlined about the same as the M4. You can feel through the wheel the M4 has much more aggressive camber. The M4 feels much more "on its toes" at all times, like it never really wants to relax, even in comfort suspension mode.

PDK/8speed: PDK was great, but I have a controversial comment. I think the 8speed is faster. Maybe it was the tuning on the base 911 PDK, and not representative of others models (I have driven many other model 911s/boosters/caymans that felt quicker), but I always felt I wasn't getting the lighting quick snappy shifts in my 911 than I got in other Porsches. I think the M4 seat of the pants review (I am a total amateur, so take with grain of salt) is that on level 3 manual mode, the 8 speed shifts a bit quicker. Weird comment, I know.

Braking: pretty similar overall power-wise. I think the 911 had much more natural feeling. Sport brake in M4 is really sensitive and comfort is too inert. I keep on sport, but don't love it.

Steering: 911. We all knew that would be the case.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many things, but these are just a few observations from 2 weeks of ownership on the m4.

Here are some photos of the cars. No pro photos of the M4 just yet.
Wow your car looks nice. If you don’t mind me asking what kind of tint do you have and what percent?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 03:49 PM   #51
AYounglove10
UpTown Hipster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 M4 Competition - IOMG

Garage List
Quote:
Does it vibrate through the cabin? I took an 6MT M4 for a quick test drive and I found it to glide over the road imperfections better compared to my 911.
No is definitely doesn't vibrate. It's well built and screwed down tight. It's not harsh, just very firm. I think it's the nature of front engine vs rear or mid engine vehicles nowadays. They have to make front engine cars' suspension stiff to compete with the natural balance of its rear/mid engine competitors, i.e. cayman/911/c8 vette. You'll hear repeatedly from experts that C8 vettes are almost rolls Royce smooth in comfort setting with magneride shocks. It's tough to do have world-beating handling AND a plush ride with front engine architecture. I haven't driven the new vette yet, so can't comment, just know that my base 911 with standard suspension was probably as comfortable as a GTI for reference.
      04-28-2021, 03:52 PM   #52
AYounglove10
UpTown Hipster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F06_GC View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

It's been many years since my last posts on this forum (13). Much time has passed and I count myself incredibly lucky to reach out and introduce to you my new AW M4 Comp.

First, I'll make I have a few comments based on previous and current experiences around tech as a multiple time Audi owner ('18 A5 sportback with APR/032 mods, '20 Q8 s-line/black optics, fiancé is driving a '21 Q7 prestige, the daily driver).

I also owned a '17 991.2 base 911 for about 18 months and will make some performance comparisons there.

Tech:
Latest Audi MMI interface (two screens controlling media/climate) is a bit more user friendly in the sense there aren't quite as many steps involved to get to a particular menu.

BMW has much less lag during initial startup.

Apple CarPlay is MUCH quicker to connect on the M4 then any of the 3 Audis I have owned. The Audis would also disconnect at random moments mid-drive. This was never resolved even after firmware updates.

The M4's HUD is amazing, especially in MSport mode with the large tach front and center. Makes you feel very aware and dare I say "safe" during spirited driving, especially during break in. I really appreciate having that information at hand. Not that I would wheel the Q7/Q8 in anywhere near the same degree as the M4, but I do drive my cars with intent and the Audis have a much smaller HUD footprint.

The HK sound system is really a let down coming from the B/O systems in all 3 Audis (mid tier system, not the $5900 one). Even compared to the sportback, which was known to sound a bit drowned out due to the open hatch nature of the vehicle, it had tighter base, crisper treble, although the mids are better on the M4.

I really do appreciate having some buttons again compared to the 2 SUVs with full touch screen everything. The Audis looked amazing, and worked fairly well/was responsive to touch, but nothing can supplement the simple tactility of pressing a button.

For the price, cooled seats should be standard. I'm in AZ, so its very much needed. The BMWapp aircon preconditioning is pretty amazing. That's not a feature available on Audi and is a game changer.

I'm in Tech/Staffing as a profession, and a Turo PowerHost as a side business, so my world tends to lean towards "tech" in genera, and the M4 seems to fit that type of lifestyle.

Performance: 991.2 base vs M4.

For this comparison, I'll focus simply on the performance and not the tech, seeming the 911 was quite a bit dated in comparison tech-wise.

Power/Speed: the M4 Comp is quicker, hands down. At every speed, from a dig or roll, the 500+hp M4 would walk my 911. Both are underrated power-wise, but no comparison.

Suspension: the 911 was a softer ride overall. It was a mom SPASM car with the base suspension, but 20" carrera classic wheels. It tramlined about the same as the M4. You can feel through the wheel the M4 has much more aggressive camber. The M4 feels much more "on its toes" at all times, like it never really wants to relax, even in comfort suspension mode.

PDK/8speed: PDK was great, but I have a controversial comment. I think the 8speed is faster. Maybe it was the tuning on the base 911 PDK, and not representative of others models (I have driven many other model 911s/boosters/caymans that felt quicker), but I always felt I wasn't getting the lighting quick snappy shifts in my 911 than I got in other Porsches. I think the M4 seat of the pants review (I am a total amateur, so take with grain of salt) is that on level 3 manual mode, the 8 speed shifts a bit quicker. Weird comment, I know.

Braking: pretty similar overall power-wise. I think the 911 had much more natural feeling. Sport brake in M4 is really sensitive and comfort is too inert. I keep on sport, but don't love it.

Steering: 911. We all knew that would be the case.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many things, but these are just a few observations from 2 weeks of ownership on the m4.

Here are some photos of the cars. No pro photos of the M4 just yet.
Wow your car looks nice. If you don’t mind me asking what kind of tint do you have and what percent?
Truth be told, I have no idea. It's AZ legal, which is probably darker than most other states. It's decent in person, not perfect. Just looks a lot darker with the black/carbon trim and AW body. That, and the crappy photos I take with the dust storm blowing in haha.
      04-28-2021, 04:03 PM   #53
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

sounds like you didn't get a great delivery on the m4. the new idrive 7 absolutely is much deeper than most other systems but the home screen is so customizable that once you get it set up how you want, you really never have to leave the home screen. it is such a personalized software. so the initial set up can take a bit but you never have to do much after. especially with the assistant and steering wheel controls.

Inquiries: Andrew.Wise@bmwofchattanooga.com
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 04:14 PM   #54
AYounglove10
UpTown Hipster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugzZ BunnY View Post
sounds like you didn't get a great delivery on the m4. the new idrive 7 absolutely is much deeper than most other systems but the home screen is so customizable that once you get it set up how you want, you really never have to leave the home screen. it is such a personalized software. so the initial set up can take a bit but you never have to do much after. especially with the assistant and steering wheel controls.
I may have misrepresented what I actually feel about the new iDrive. I do like it, it's just a few extra steps to get here or there. My rep helped me get my settings right, but perhaps didn't spend enough time helping me figure it out on my own. I could tweak hot keys and such on the fly as I learn the car and adjust it to my liking after I spend more time with it.
      04-28-2021, 05:56 PM   #55
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Thanks for the comparo

Alpine white looks pretty good here.
Agreed on AW. Helps the lines a bit and much better in person than pics would suggested

Funny story, my first few posts on this forum was due to an experience I had driving a then brand-new '08 E92 M3, also AW/Carbon Roof/Black interior.

Came full circle with this car 13 years later. Exact same spec, same dealership.
Very cool. Btw I saw AW in person at a dealership and it didnt make me love it, but your photos do it decent justice, although no photos really capture the grill and shape of the car.

Ive seen TR, BSM, AW, BG, IOMG, TB. At this point I like TR and BG the most
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 06:13 PM   #56
biznis32
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

I guess it’s very personal. I’m going for another test drive of the M4 and I will drive it back to back with my 911 to feel the difference. I’m gravitating to the M4 because of its more compliant ride on uneven surfaces which I observed on my previous test drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 06:43 PM   #57
AYounglove10
UpTown Hipster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I guess it’s very personal. I’m going for another test drive of the M4 and I will drive it back to back with my 911 to feel the difference. I’m gravitating to the M4 because of its more compliant ride on uneven surfaces which I observed on my previous test drive.
That is quite interesting. What tires did each car have? I had gone through the standard set of pirellis and swapped over to Michelin PS4S on the 911 before for a more compliant ride. I have the PS4S on the M4 Comp now.
      04-28-2021, 08:29 PM   #58
AYounglove10
UpTown Hipster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the comparo

Agreed on AW. Helps the lines a bit and much better in person than pics would suggested

Funny story, my first few posts on this forum was due to an experience I had driving a then brand-new '08 E92 M3, also AW/Carbon Roof/Black interior.

Came full circle with this car 13 years later. Exact same spec, same dealership.
Very cool. Btw I saw AW in person at a dealership and it didnt make me love it, but your photos do it decent justice, although no photos really capture the grill and shape of the car.

I hadn't been much of a "color guy" for the longest time, until I had my Dragon Orange Audi Q8. You can see that thing from space, a pretty wild color.

I initially wanted IOMG, but none were available, and AW is just classic to me.

I'm sure I'll shoot for IOMG on the next go around, perhaps an LCI XDrive model or whatever the GTS/CSL/CS replacement ends up being.
      04-28-2021, 08:46 PM   #59
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the comparo

I hadn't been much of a "color guy" for the longest time, until I had my Dragon Orange Audi Q8. You can see that thing from space, a pretty wild color.

I initially wanted IOMG, but none were available, and AW is just classic to me.

I'm sure I'll shoot for IOMG on the next go around, perhaps an LCI XDrive model or whatever the GTS/CSL/CS replacement ends up being.
Same, I have owned 2 black cars and 2 grays
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 10:10 AM   #60
Crester
Rep
Drives: ...

Seems like a very good and honest review. Only thing I'm skeptical about is you saying the transmission in the M4 is better than the 911. Porsche's PDK is usually praised as the best in the industry. And when I drove the 991.2 (albeit an S model)... the car shifted so fast it was like it was reading my mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 10:18 AM   #61
AYounglove10
UpTown Hipster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crester View Post
Seems like a very good and honest review. Only thing I'm skeptical about is you saying the transmission in the M4 is better than the 911. Porsche's PDK is usually praised as the best in the industry. And when I drove the 991.2 (albeit an S model)... the car shifted so fast it was like it was reading my mind.
I completely understand how controversial that statement is and I wish I had my 911 on hand to give an accurate, back-to-back comparison. Just my visceral memory of it. I wouldn't say the 8Speed shifts as "crisp" as PDK, just faster on level 3. I will say PDK did downshift in auto mode a bit better if you were to mash the throttle. I also would venture to say that it was the tuning on my base 911 only. I've driven a 991.1 911 GTS, a newer 718 Cayman GTS, and a 991.2 911 Turbo S and those were telepathic and quicker shifting than the M4.
      04-29-2021, 05:47 PM   #62
PARTS@STBMW
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Great thread, thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 01:02 PM   #63
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Low key that face is growing on me. White suits this car really well. I still think my least favorite angle is the direct side view profile.

But damn, every other angle is hot in white. The front is so aggressive.
      04-30-2021, 01:07 PM   #64
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Great write up, that was a fun read!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #65
AYounglove10
UpTown Hipster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Low key that face is growing on me. White suits this car really well. I still think my least favorite angle is the direct side view profile.

But damn, every other angle is hot in white. The front is so aggressive.
I really agree on the side angle comment. It's incredibly tough to photograph well. I don't dislike in person, but I don't love it either. It does have that mustang or (don't hate me) Accord coupe shape overall. But I liked both of those cars, so...

I'm big on either the front or rear 3/4 angles to accentuate the different character lines and the width.
      05-01-2021, 12:23 PM   #66
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Why is this thread here now?
Appreciate 0