BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

10-28-2022, 10:28 AM   #67
ACTX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340xi (8th BMW)

Hey Butterbar. First of all, thank you for you service if you are or were indeed serving.

Car drove different because of a higher-weight oil? �� Anything is possible, I suppose. Not probable but theoretically possible. Won't argue that point.

Since you now take your SA's word for everything (which is a good idea, BTW) now go back and ask him how often to change your transfer case oil, then please come back and let me know.

Or, alternatively, post a link to an ->official BMW<- site anywhere that recommends changing it.

When you do change it, let me know how it went jacking the car up, then, depending on model, possibly removing any or all of the following: the heat shields, cross braces, and, possibly, the ENTIRE exhaust system. Then, of course, you're going to need to reset the ECU using a scanner tool. If your vehicle is still under warranty and you have any drive train or exhaust problems, from the engine on back, let me know how it goes with BMW service when they tell you your warranty is null and void. They'll know from looking at the diagnostic readout or just a glance at the undercarriage.

Also, when you go into Launch Control to impress your family and friends, and your hear a massive crunch and clatter and the car jangles to a stop, take a pic of the transmission and transfer case parts scattered along the road back behind your car. That is a real risk. Or it may just suffer a lesser failure and cost you out the yin-yang to repair or replace.

One of my amigos is a certified (and associate degreed) automotive tech and for him the saddest and stupidest repairs he has to make are within a few thousand miles of a DIY transfer case muck about. He'll tell the customer "Why don't you go over and talk to the dealership manager about a trade-in?"

Anyhoo best o' luck to you.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot. Some models don't have a drain plug, you will need to get a siphon hose to put through the fill hole to get the old oil out. And if you don't get it all (highly probable) and fill with a different oil so there is a mix? That ain't gonna be good. As absurd as it sounds, sometimes the transfer case has to be removed and turned upside down to drain all the oil. That is not a joke.

Last edited by ACTX; 10-28-2022 at 11:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 10:49 PM   #68
TrackM4x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
I was waiting for the million dollar confirmation that the break in maintenance does not open up performance rather than simply allow the car to perform at it's designed performance.
It does not. I have witnessed someone who tracked his after 600 miles, got the dealership break in service at 1200, tracked again and it was hitting the same speeds. A true "break in" program is something like the C8 where it actually limits the RPMs before the break in miles are reached.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 11:25 PM   #69
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

For all of the people who send their oil away for analysis, I'm surprised no one has sent this break in oil off to see if there really is some difference in viscosity or anything else.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      10-30-2022, 01:41 AM   #70
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
For all of the people who send their oil away for analysis, I'm surprised no one has sent this break in oil off to see if there really is some difference in viscosity or anything else.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784447
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 03:53 AM   #71
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Oil analysis of an N54 at 5 miles (delivery) and 430 miles. (Note: There were 3 more oil changes between 430 and 9K, but I didn't bother sending them away for analysis).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 06:02 AM   #72
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTX View Post
Hey Butterbar. First of all, thank you for you service if you are or were indeed serving.

Car drove different because of a higher-weight oil? �� Anything is possible, I suppose. Not probable but theoretically possible. Won't argue that point.

Since you now take your SA's word for everything (which is a good idea, BTW) now go back and ask him how often to change your transfer case oil, then please come back and let me know.

Or, alternatively, post a link to an ->official BMW<- site anywhere that recommends changing it.

When you do change it, let me know how it went jacking the car up, then, depending on model, possibly removing any or all of the following: the heat shields, cross braces, and, possibly, the ENTIRE exhaust system. Then, of course, you're going to need to reset the ECU using a scanner tool. If your vehicle is still under warranty and you have any drive train or exhaust problems, from the engine on back, let me know how it goes with BMW service when they tell you your warranty is null and void. They'll know from looking at the diagnostic readout or just a glance at the undercarriage.

Also, when you go into Launch Control to impress your family and friends, and your hear a massive crunch and clatter and the car jangles to a stop, take a pic of the transmission and transfer case parts scattered along the road back behind your car. That is a real risk. Or it may just suffer a lesser failure and cost you out the yin-yang to repair or replace.

One of my amigos is a certified (and associate degreed) automotive tech and for him the saddest and stupidest repairs he has to make are within a few thousand miles of a DIY transfer case muck about. He'll tell the customer "Why don't you go over and talk to the dealership manager about a trade-in?"

Anyhoo best o' luck to you.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot. Some models don't have a drain plug, you will need to get a siphon hose to put through the fill hole to get the old oil out. And if you don't get it all (highly probable) and fill with a different oil so there is a mix? That ain't gonna be good. As absurd as it sounds, sometimes the transfer case has to be removed and turned upside down to drain all the oil. That is not a joke.
What in the world are you on about?
Why would I do any of that. I don’t have to worry about fluids to change. The car is under warranty and I follow their maintenance.

That was kinda the point of the post you responded to. I don’t bother second guessing BMW anymore based on what I read here. Tried it with engine oil and (you can believe what you like) it was very noticeable, poorer performance. I was back within a week and had them go back the the 0-20 or whatever it is.

I know how to change oil, but why would I?
It ain’t a big deal or expensive to let them do it.

I’ve never used launch control, not even once.
Probably never will.
Idk how to even turn it on lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 08:38 AM   #73
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Oil analysis of an N54 at 5 miles (delivery) and 430 miles. (Note: There were 3 more oil changes between 430 and 9K, but I didn't bother sending them away for analysis).
Is this for a 1-series M?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 09:43 AM   #74
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Is this for a 1-series M?
No, 2009 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 09:51 AM   #75
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
No, 2009 135i
It’s irrelevant to the discussion then, as it didn’t have a break-in oil (I believe the 1M didn’t either, but not sure)
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2022, 10:36 AM   #76
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
It’s irrelevant to the discussion then, as it didn’t have a break-in oil (I believe the 1M didn’t either, but not sure)
Yep. There is no break-in oil, it's a total myth. Maybe with the 10W-60 M cars there was something different as factory fill but definitely not anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 11:57 AM   #77
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Yep. There is no break-in oil, it's a total myth. Maybe with the 10W-60 M cars there was something different as factory fill but definitely not anymore.
Are you saying the tech in the video is lying?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 01:00 PM   #78
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't know that a post from 10 years ago if very relevant at this point but thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 01:00 PM   #79
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Are you saying the tech in the video is lying?
Yes. Misinformed perhaps since he believes it.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-30-2022, 01:03 PM   #80
________
________
Rep

Quote:
I don't know that a post from 10 years ago if very relevant at this point but thanks.
Hahahaha ok…
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 01:05 PM   #81
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Yes. Misinformed perhaps since he believes it.
What do you think the different smell is from?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 01:26 PM   #82
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hahahaha ok…
I mean, the engine in the E92 M3 couldn't be more different than the engine in the G8X that is discussed in this video. I guess I should have asked whether someone had done it more recently.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-30-2022, 01:37 PM   #83
________
________
Rep

Quote:
I mean, the engine in the E92 M3 couldn't be more different than the engine in the G8X that is discussed in this video. I guess I should have asked whether someone had done it more recently.
Correct, understood.
I am going in under the assumption that if the break-in oil is real, it’s thinner.
I, too, would like to see a new analysis.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2022, 03:17 PM   #84
suitedcboy
Cattlecar
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport

The results for the first few oil services is great info to see the health of engine and see the initial wear go down. It shows initial wear got over soon too. The silicon which is usually particles of dust/sand too small for air cleaner to catch was high in the first two drains at 5 and 435 and that probably is cylinder coating polishing off though some machining abrasives use silicon content. The 5 mile drain doesn't show high zinc. Zinc was, and still is in some cases, the metal additive used to address metal on metal contact where oil flow is not a cushion, camshaft lobes against a flat tappet face being the worst offender usually but rings on cylinder wall is another area. The break-in oil for S65 doesn't look special from the report, even viscosity doesn't show as lower. I would think M engines going back 20 or more years got motored over on a testing stand for analysis. On those stands an engine with external oil cooling can be pre-oiled before rotation starts. Water-to-oil cooler equipped lose that option but still get oil pressure verified with number of rotations charted. Some engines get 100% checked with some getting fueled and running. Just running them over gets verification of compression and sonic check for loose stuff is a fail.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      04-09-2024, 01:52 AM   #85
Steffinstive
Registered
Rep
Drives: swift,2016

xyz

Thanks for the information
Appreciate 0