Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

09-04-2023, 06:05 PM   #1
herbnlegend
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX, BMW M4 Comp xdrive

Garage List
Steering wheel vibration mystery

I had new PS4S's installed at the dealer. Got the car home and had been driving it to notice a minor vibration in the steering wheel and the floor. Noticed the front drivers side tire was running about 5-10 degrees F hotter than the rest of the tires. I was suspicious of a stuck brake caliber so I took it into the dealer. They ended up replacing one of the front tires under warranty, claiming it could not be balanced. After they replaced the tire they called back and said that it fixed most of the problem but there is still a minor vibration. They said they would need to keep the car to diagnose further.

I took the car back home for the weekend and can concur that the car still vibrates, however very mild. While I had it home I ran my own tests.
First I swapped the front and rear wheels. When the rears were up front I did not experience any vibing. I swapped wheels back to original orientation and sure enough had the minor vibes again.

With the wheels in the original orientation I also tested for vibrations in RWD mode vs 4WD, still getting the same thing but hopefully that rules out and drivetrain issue.

I didn't have this problem for the first 8000miles with the pirellis. I only got the PS4S's because I had a flat in one of the Pirelli's and decided to replace all 4 since my rears were down the 3/32. This vibing only began after they put new tires on.

Anyone else have a similar issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 02:52 AM   #2
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i with MPSSK

If the tyres are not rotationally sensitive you could swap left right to see if it changes. Are your tyres also heating up differentially? Might tell you if toe/tracking is out?

Have you tried road force balancing in the fronts. I’ve found many tyre places inc BMW stick far too many weights on. … and they can come off.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2023, 04:07 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmct-M3 View Post
If the tyres are not rotationally sensitive you could swap left right to see if it changes. Are your tyres also heating up differentially? Might tell you if toe/tracking is out?

Have you tried road force balancing in the fronts. I’ve found many tyre places inc BMW stick far too many weights on. … and they can come off.
x2
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 06:12 AM   #4
herbnlegend
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX, BMW M4 Comp xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmct-M3 View Post

Road force balancing was performed, they said tires balanced perfectly. I personally did not swap left to right. I believe they did at the dealer and still had the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 02:06 PM   #5
Ghost Ritual
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbnlegend View Post
I had new PS4S's installed at the dealer. Got the car home and had been driving it to notice a minor vibration in the steering wheel and the floor. Noticed the front drivers side tire was running about 5-10 degrees F hotter than the rest of the tires. I was suspicious of a stuck brake caliber so I took it into the dealer. They ended up replacing one of the front tires under warranty, claiming it could not be balanced. After they replaced the tire they called back and said that it fixed most of the problem but there is still a minor vibration. They said they would need to keep the car to diagnose further.

I took the car back home for the weekend and can concur that the car still vibrates, however very mild. While I had it home I ran my own tests.
First I swapped the front and rear wheels. When the rears were up front I did not experience any vibing. I swapped wheels back to original orientation and sure enough had the minor vibes again.

With the wheels in the original orientation I also tested for vibrations in RWD mode vs 4WD, still getting the same thing but hopefully that rules out and drivetrain issue.

I didn't have this problem for the first 8000miles with the pirellis. I only got the PS4S's because I had a flat in one of the Pirelli's and decided to replace all 4 since my rears were down the 3/32. This vibing only began after they put new tires on.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

I have a similar issue. I had a bad rear tire which was replaced (PS4) but still experience a high frequency vibe. It doesn't feel like an unbalanced tire. It feels like I'm holding a power sander albeit not as extreme.

Very interestingly it will go away if I unlatch the steering wheel... My dealer opened a case and I havnt heard back from them yet.. my car has less than 2500 miles on it.

Try unlatching (safely of course) on the highway and see if that helps?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 12:05 AM   #6
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Typical Michelins
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 08:54 AM   #7
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
My car is 2 weeks old, has 400 miles now, and has PS4S. Since the first day, there was a very subtle vibration with the steering wheel. First, the tire pressures were too high, reduced them to recommended levels. This helped, but the vibration was still there. The car being new, I am not yet able to recognize if something is 'normal' or should be looked into. The vibration was not bothersome, it was very subtle at higher speeds.

Yesterday, I took the wheels off to check them out, and I found the wheel weights on one of the front ones were pretty messed up. Got it balanced, and now there are no vibrations.
Name:  OriginalWheelWeight-RF.png
Views: 279
Size:  560.2 KB
mathys202.50
      01-07-2024, 02:48 AM   #8
M2Life
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Ritual View Post
I have a similar issue. I had a bad rear tire which was replaced (PS4) but still experience a high frequency vibe. It doesn't feel like an unbalanced tire. It feels like I'm holding a power sander albeit not as extreme.

Very interestingly it will go away if I unlatch the steering wheel... My dealer opened a case and I havnt heard back from them yet.. my car has less than 2500 miles on it.

Try unlatching (safely of course) on the highway and see if that helps?
I have the same thing on my G87 and vibration goes away when I unlatch the steering wheel. Did you ever figure this out?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 09:45 AM   #9
Ghost Ritual
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Life View Post
I have the same thing on my G87 and vibration goes away when I unlatch the steering wheel. Did you ever figure this out?
No unfortunately, It seems like it may be a characteristic of the PS4's or "feedback". I will probably try the all seasons ones when im due for tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 09:55 AM   #10
GolfCoyote
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

I had PS4S on my last Mustang and currently have them on my GTi, no vibrations from either.
      02-01-2024, 04:41 PM   #11
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

These cars are generally very sensitive to the front tires being out of balance. I have experienced this on my E90, F80, and G82.

If you have a discount tire nearby take it there. They have the highest end Hunter road force machines you can buy. Most dealers do not have the top tier model.

I would also mention to them you are having issues with vibration and this usually ensures that one of the better techs handles it.
      02-02-2024, 12:38 AM   #12
vchen89
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Had the same vibration issue on the PS4S on my GTR. Two tires were bad, had it replaced but still had minor issues afterwards. But not enough for me to go out of my way to replace them again. 90% sure it’s the tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 07:52 PM   #13
mdr955
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Ritual View Post
No unfortunately, It seems like it may be a characteristic of the PS4's or "feedback". I will probably try the all seasons ones when im due for tires.
Is your vibration in the steering wheel? Any specific rpm or speeds or just general?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 11:20 AM   #14
Ghost Ritual
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr955 View Post
Is your vibration in the steering wheel? Any specific rpm or speeds or just general?
It comes on right around 75 mph. When I unlatch the wheel it goes away completely.
Appreciate 0