BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

Closed Thread

08-16-2020, 11:59 AM   #23
Loma
Second Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW

To those that have already seen the car. How did seeing it in person change your mind for better or worse?
      08-16-2020, 07:52 PM   #24
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, E60 M5, F06 M6, F15, F90

Standard carbon ceramics.... very unlikely...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 07:55 PM   #25
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by av.7447 View Post
Standard carbon ceramics.... very unlikely...
This was cleared up by inside knowledge in another thread.... CCBs will not be standard on the regular comp pack but will be standard on a launch package/first edition model.
Appreciate 2
      08-16-2020, 08:30 PM   #26
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NJ View Post
Yes they were and they listen to the masses in that! First thing I looked for and noticed.
Did they actually let you touch the car and flip up the covers or ask to confirm? I mean, the F8x have inserts in the track, but no holes through the CF.
      08-17-2020, 01:33 AM   #27
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
I find that BMW usually gets it right when picking the right hue to show the car in for the first time. Similar to Yas Marina Blue on the F80, or the Mineral White Metallic of the E92.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Minor correction on the launch color for the E92 M3 as it should be Alpine White III. Mineral White metallic was not available until the E92/93 LCI, and was unavailable on the E90.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2020, 03:39 AM   #28
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanyam4 View Post
Isle of Man Green on Shakir Orange huh.
Sakir.

The number of times auto correct wants Shakirra Orange in a car

OP is it possible it to describe the IoM green colour. Is it light and bright (teaser looks this way) but not like a Kermit green. Also nothing like as dark as BRG..?
Attached Images

08-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #29
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Quote:
I find that BMW usually gets it right when picking the right hue to show the car in for the first time. Similar to Yas Marina Blue on the F80, or the Mineral White Metallic of the E92.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Minor correction on the launch color for the E92 M3 as it should be Alpine White III. Mineral White metallic was not available until the E92/93 LCI, and was unavailable on the E90.
Fixed, thank you!

The E90 was Silverstone I believe. Again, seemed like the right choice.
Law6377.00
      08-17-2020, 08:38 AM   #30
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Isle of Man Green color preview?

Name:  iom.JPG
Views: 5542
Size:  80.9 KB
Appreciate 4
      08-17-2020, 08:48 AM   #31
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Isle of Man Green color preview?

Attachment 2390837
Accurate as a digital preview. IoMG needs to be viewed outdoors in sunlight. It's mica/Perl Effekt with strong character.
Appreciate 2
      08-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #32
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

I'm not as active here as I once was, but a lot of you from the F8x forums probably remember me. I'm one of the lucky ones who got to see the IOM Green G80 at MetLife stadium yesterday. I took some notes as soon as I left the tent on my phone - images of which I'll attach to this post shortly so you can see my immediate commentary.

A more thought-out and put together impression is provided in the next post here for your enjoyment. Thanks for the read, I know I can be long-winded.
Attached Images

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #33
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Yesterday morning I was one of the lucky ones who got to see the not-yet-released G80 M3 Competition, finished in Isle of Man Green over black/tan leather (Aragon?), with standard seats not buckets. The IOM Green is more a green-heavy teal to me than a classic green. It’s definitely not a forest or oxford type tone – Hyundai/Kia have a blue-heavy teal in their lineup, this struck me as the green heavy equivalent of that hue. Full disclosure, the car was only under direct fluorescent/white LED lights – sort of a showroom setting with no windows. I’d reserve my opinion on the color choice until we can see this in natural light – for now, it’s too teal for my taste.

I’ve seen the posts by others who have seen this design in person and the majority seem to be in the ‘it’ll grow on you’ (like a fungus?) camp. I don’t think I’m there though, and will let you know my thoughts/impressions on the design below. Granted, I do whole-heartedly agree with those in the camp of ‘It’s almost a hundred-thousand dollar expense - It shouldn’t have to GROW on me” so I still have that mentality to fight against internally.

They did not have the interior opened up for us, but what we could see looked like a slightly-upscaled G30 interior. Just what we have all grown to love and expect in our M3’s. I don’t like not seeing a handbrake there, but I guess the future is here now. Couldn’t see the digital cluster at all, so I can’t give any insight on that feature.

Off the jump, the car shown had some weird ‘we’re going to dip the lowest 15mm of the entire body in gloss black plastidip’ thing going on. The front bumper lip, the side skirts, and the rear section all had this gloss black finishing on them that didn’t do favors to the car in my opinion. Imagine, if you will, a base spec G05 X5 without the M-sport pack – you know how there’s the flat grey plastic trim line on all of the lower body finishing? Imagine that in gloss black instead of the matte/flat grey and you know what I’m talking about. It looked, in one word, cheap – especially so on the side profile. I’m not against gloss black at all – all of the factory trim on my F80 is gloss black, but this isn’t window trim or grille surrounds, it’s the entire lower segment of the car. I think it’s an attempt to do the CF look without coming near the mark, but I can’t speak for their intent obviously.

Putting the gloss-black paint dipping to the side for a moment: While the side profile and surface treatments used there are classically NOT BMW to me, the side skirts are very nicely sculpted on this car. They remind me a good deal of the beautifully styled skirts used on the Alfa Giulia QF, without the weird ‘they just end here?’ thing that you get on the Alfa just ahead of the front door midpoint. I still am not loving the swoop up from skirt to rear door/rear quarter panel, but the skirts help that design element a lot when compared to the G30 looks – and then the flared rear arches help to complete the enhancement here. Side profile is much less off-putting to me in the metal than in photo/render/leaks – again, putting the odd gloss black lower portion aside.

These door cups will never look right on a 3er to me – but with the loss of the HMK and the cars shoulder line, I’m not mistaking it for a classically designed 3 series to begin with. The side to rear definitely carries Lexus overtones, not mentioning the rear itself here.

The front fender air vent is a weird design element. It almost looks like the style of it was lifted from that weird floating curtain used on the current X6’s, but as is the trend with the new 3er/4er, the lines used to make it do not match with any other angles used on the side of the car. It’s an open vent, but it’s hard to tell that. It looks tacked on, even though the sheet metal does have an embossed section there to keep the trim flush – it still looked weird to me. Not a deal breaker, and I too well recall how the F8x fender vents were an unexpected ‘get used to it’ thing that turned out alright for us all.

The rear finishing treatment is acceptable. It looks like it took cues from some of the more aggressive 3pc diffusers available from the aftermarket for the F80 cars, it’s not reserved at all, and definitely looks a bit busy, but it’s by no means the conversation point of the cars design. It’s perfectly suitable, more aggressive than I would have guessed it to be – and may make aftermarket diffusers totally superfluous. Had the front clip not changed so drastically, the discussion points of this car likely would revolve around how aggressive the rear finishing is now, where did the shoulder line go, and what is up with these door handle cups (two of the three have been beaten to death already since G30 intro).

Unfortunately, I just didn’t get a chance to go eye level with the rear bumper to see how bad or how much better the muffler diaper is on this generation. With how aggressive the diffuser is now, that would have offered the perfect opportunity to hide the full muffler can, but spy shots have showed that as unlikely – still, it may be much better on this front out of the box than the F8x was, but an unknown.

Notable thing; the roof is way different than the F80 panel. There are two raised ribs starting, IIRC, about 40% of the way back from the windshield, and they are notably raised. I didn’t notice any middle section height difference, as in the F8x cars where the roof is sort of raised over the seating areas, with the middle section being lower in profile. I didn’t notice that on the front of the G8x roof, only the ribs. I may have missed it though, so YMMV here.

The rear wheel arches/haunches/hips didn’t look as pronounced to me as those fitted on the F80, but lighting and setting can impact this impression, so this stays as a true unknown to me.

From most angles, the car looks BIG. The grille announces a large car coming through, and the rest of the car follows the announcement. From any of the front angles, the car wants to hide behind the grille treatment though.

As others have mentioned here, the shown car was fitted with CCB’s. The staffer also said to me they were standard, but we always know marketing and press people tend to not live down in the weeds with accurate information. This is going to be a wait and see one I think. No matter – the single rear floating caliper really looks cheap on a CCB equipped car. I walked from this CCB G80 to my CCB F80 and the brakes all around really look the business on one of the older models. On the newer M3, the rears – not so much. Especially if that is a 9k+ upcharge item for our next generation, I’d be skipping it 7 days a week.

The front clip – it doesn’t get much better in person, IMO. It is more 3D than the renders/leaks we’ve seen lead us to believe, with the grille curving back towards the axel line as you go from badge to lip. The transition from grille lower frame to the bumper integrated lip was done as well as it could have been with that as a starting point. The nose surely conveys motion, but looks like two different design teams led the charge to get this design penned either way. The grille/bumper/hood integration is just sloppy. So many lines and angles, and none of them are really complementary.

Headlights are the right size and angle of attack to be married with this front end; they’re headlights, nothing groundbreaking to report here; the concept headlights do not make it to production, as usual.

The LIDAR sensor just looks awful up front, the discontinuity hurt my brain. The guy working in the booth said three times to me ‘they have to put it there because it needs to see the front’ - no shit Sherlock; it’s not that it needs to be in the front, it’s that it should either be well hidden, or centered… unfortunately the design team from Weber didn’t care about integrating the sensor uniformly, and nobody decided to hide it after that.

Ok now, real talk; I cannot shake the Dodge Charger feel when I was looking at the front end – the early/mid 2010’s version using the crosshair as a separating element. No, it’s not a charger, and won’t be mistaken for one – but the front end, the grille split and size/angle, the bird-bath insets in the hood – all of it made me unable to shake that comparison – and that is NOT a good thing, IMO.

I tried to keep this in some sort of logical content layout, but I know I’ve been all over the place. Apologies, and thanks for sticking with me.

Closing thoughts: Rewind the clock 13 years, I went to a first-reveal of the E9x M cars; walked out hoping to buy one asap. Now, rewind the clock 6 years, I went to a first-reveal of the F8x M cars; walked out to order mine the minute I could get one locked up. Rewind the clock 24 hours, I went to a first-reveal of the G80, walked out happy to be holding onto mine for a while longer. Still, patiently awaiting the LCI and will re-evaluate my opinion then, though I still think the car looks bigger than I’d want it to and that won’t change. For now, personally, it’s impossibly hard to make the argument for this car at this price with this face.

When I got home from the preview, my wife says 'well, what did you think?' I responded, 'eeeeh, I think we're still going to Stuttgart next year'.

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 24
pbar1380.50
Loma398.00
Lee808230.50
Suds1595.50
StephGOD218.50
j2dad5389371.00
somer947.50
///M4TT150.00
OG///M1002.00
Mnoob211.50
Dr.Deep1827.00
Foxyy266.50
F85MTuNED1620.50
Kingpin4385.00
Nugget649.50
alistairk117.50
pyrat15194.50
vampire81434.50
CSBM52695.50
      08-17-2020, 09:43 AM   #34
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was a spine down the middle, no bubble.

They only give you 5 minutes max in the tent, and there was so much to take in it was hard to go over the entire car. Here's what's I remember. I ended up going in twice.

Grille - no issue for me, all black on M3. No chrome surround. Body color instead.

Wheels - typical BMW, comp all black

Fender flares - yes

M mirrors - yes

18s in front, 19s in back on comp models.

Cf seat backs are an option

Cf front and rear aero additions are a package.

Red start button, M tri-color seat belts.

Seats similar in shape to F80. M3 badges in headrest as before.

Shares rear with the G20, but much wider and more aggressive. Without the CF package, you get aero treatments in shadow line, gloss black.

No spoiler oddly enough.

Laser headlights.

No power dome on hood if I remember correctly. Don't quote me on that.

Stick available on base. Not on comp. shifter similar to X3 M.

RWD available on both models.

Electronic parking brake.

Isle of Man Green is the launch color for the M3.

I think that covers it. Let me know if you guys have any specific questions.
No power dome.

Roof had two spines, not going the entire length of the roof. Didn't notice the double-bubble profile from the F8x either.

Just posted my report of the preview in this forum Mike. You know I'm long winded!

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #35
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

I'm still getting an F90
Attached Images

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 2
      08-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #36
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
Yesterday morning I was one of the lucky ones who got to see the not-yet-released G80 M3 Competition, finished in Isle of Man Green over black/tan leather (Aragon?), with standard seats not buckets.

I agree on the trim on the bottom - felt weird, a bit cheap.

I also agree on that sensor in the front and I for sure will not be getting that option. It's like a giant black hole.

While I agree that most product people they staff here don't have a clue, the guy I got owned an E39 M5 and E46 M3, so you hope there is some passion and knowledge there.

I'm eager to see how it drives, but the front end isn't bad for me.

But, I almost got a 911 10 years ago instead of the E92. It drove better. But the E92 felt more special, if that makes sense. We'll see what happens now...
RowanBuds1707.00
      08-17-2020, 10:14 AM   #37
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
This was cleared up by inside knowledge in another thread.... CCBs will not be standard on the regular comp pack but will be standard on a launch package/first edition model.
Is that "launch edition" still a comp pack car (ie AWD, ,etc) or is it for the RWD variants?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #38
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP| MW / SO

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was a spine down the middle, no bubble.

They only give you 5 minutes max in the tent, and there was so much to take in it was hard to go over the entire car. Here's what's I remember. I ended up going in twice.

Grille - no issue for me, all black on M3. No chrome surround. Body color instead.

Wheels - typical BMW, comp all black

Fender flares - yes

M mirrors - yes

18s in front, 19s in back on comp models.

Cf seat backs are an option

Cf front and rear aero additions are a package.

Red start button, M tri-color seat belts.

Seats similar in shape to F80. M3 badges in headrest as before.

Shares rear with the G20, but much wider and more aggressive. Without the CF package, you get aero treatments in shadow line, gloss black.

No spoiler oddly enough.

Laser headlights.

No power dome on hood if I remember correctly. Don't quote me on that.

Stick available on base. Not on comp. shifter similar to X3 M.

RWD available on both models.

Electronic parking brake.

Isle of Man Green is the launch color for the M3.

I think that covers it. Let me know if you guys have any specific questions.
Great stuff man - thx!! May hold off until I see it tho
      08-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #39
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by itofigari View Post
Great stuff man - thx!! May hold off until I see it tho
Definitely. I don't think this is a car you pre-order.
      08-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #40
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Moderator: Threads merged, this post retained to preserve "Appreciates".
smuttana280.50
Ibiza3479.50
M Spec5.00
AlterZgo1537.50
c0bra182.50
ando1954.50
BigHunk269.50
      08-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #41
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

This is great stuff!!!!
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      08-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #42
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

All I want is carbon buckets with CCB and awd... I hope this will be an option when and if the awd version is released.
      08-17-2020, 10:32 AM   #43
jdg54
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i Xdrive

I saw the G82 comp at Monticello M Track Days. Green on a blue-ish interior with green and carbon accents. Full M Perf carbon accessories all around. Everything was fantastic but the grille was also huge. Looks especially large since it's all black and the car is bright green. Maybe black on black would be better? One can hope.
Appreciate 1
f80er2056.00
      08-17-2020, 10:34 AM   #44
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Is that "launch edition" still a comp pack car (ie AWD, ,etc) or is it for the RWD variants?
No clue... I was just trying to head off a parallel discussion by taking info from another thread on the same topic...

we really need a consolidated view of the preview opinions and feedback/discussion in one thread with any actual sightings being called out with some key info as a header to their post, especially as euro previews start as well. Will make it easy to scan and discuss.
-where seen
-what car (M3 or m4)
-exterior/interior color
-impressions
-open questions
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread