BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-16-2021, 01:50 AM   #1
Wamion117
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4C

Side view mirror now makes a loud creaking noise when it folds

I took my car to get washed (which I rarely do, and when I do it's to a detail shop that tries to touch the car as little as possible, or so I thought). I saw one of the workers bend back the mirror in what looked like an unnatural way, but I also saw them do this to other cars (911 infront of me and an STi behind me) so I assume now the mirrors are fine from this.

After I brought the car home I didn't drive it for about 2 hours. The next time I got in the car I heard a horrible creaking noise while the mirror on my passenger side unfolded. It hasn't gone away since, and I'm not sure what's causing this. Anyone experience the same or have insight?
      05-16-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Sounds like he may have broken it. Why would he bend it backwards and not inwards?

Try folding it in and back to make sure it's seated right, and adjust the mirror to make sure the gears aren't just out of alignment.

Edit: if I remember correctly, sometimes on my F82 the mirror tilt down would be loud or jumpy. When I adjusted it with the electronic controls it would "click" back into alignment like somehow it just got off its rails or something
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 09:08 AM   #3
Bimmer TiM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
Sounds like he may have broken it. Why would he bend it backwards and not inwards?

Try folding it in and back to make sure it's seated right, and adjust the mirror to make sure the gears aren't just out of alignment.

Edit: if I remember correctly, sometimes on my F82 the mirror tilt down would be loud or jumpy. When I adjusted it with the electronic controls it would "click" back into alignment like somehow it just got off its rails or something
Dang. That sux. Sorry to hear this. I don't have anything to recommend, sounds like car wash guy is at fault. Might take it back to them and show them, maybe they have seen something like it before and can adjust it? Idk. I wouldn't let them touch it again probably. Good luck
Appreciate 1
dL.78.50
      05-16-2021, 09:35 AM   #4
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamion117 View Post
I took my car to get washed (which I rarely do, and when I do it's to a detail shop that tries to touch the car as little as possible, or so I thought). I saw one of the workers bend back the mirror in what looked like an unnatural way, but I also saw them do this to other cars (911 infront of me and an STi behind me) so I assume now the mirrors are fine from this.

After I brought the car home I didn't drive it for about 2 hours. The next time I got in the car I heard a horrible creaking noise while the mirror on my passenger side unfolded. It hasn't gone away since, and I'm not sure what's causing this. Anyone experience the same or have insight?
I had the same issue, but on my driver's side mirror. Loud "creaking" noise while folding in/out; like the damn thing was gonna snap or break, right?

I brought this issue to my BMW dealer during break-in service and they fixed it. Apparently it was a spring mechanism that just needed lubrication.

During my break-in period, I just kept my mirrors open and didn't fold them until the break-in service was complete due to the annoying sound. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 10:12 AM   #5
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

There is a tsb for this, I'm getting a new mirror under warranty, lubrication did not fix the noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 10:40 AM   #6
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Normal in every BMW with automatic folding mirrors.

If you fold them manual like in a car wash by the brushes or hand for example and unfold them with the button, they will make this noise, nothing to worry about.

Edit: Should go away after you fold and unfold them once via button.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 01:53 PM   #7
Wamion117
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamion117 View Post

I had the same issue, but on my driver's side mirror. Loud "creaking" noise while folding in/out; like the damn thing was gonna snap or break, right?

I brought this issue to my BMW dealer during break-in service and they fixed it. Apparently it was a spring mechanism that just needed lubrication.

During my break-in period, I just kept my mirrors open and didn't fold them until the break-in service was complete due to the annoying sound. Hope this helps!
That does help thank you, glad to hear I'm not the only one!
Bahamut709.50