BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-07-2021, 09:21 AM   #23
Puuhapete
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 25e, 2021 Taycan 4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Funny thing is that C&D (same as R&T) are massive Porsche fanboys (can't fault them for that either) and Porsches are more clinical in their effectiveness than any AMG or M-car. Motortrend acknowledges this preferring the M2 CS over the Cayman GT4;

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/...arison-review/
on the bolded I disagree to some extend. The E92 won ALL its 8 tests in Car & Driver. It was also set up against a 911. They loved the E92.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
WWM3956.50
      05-07-2021, 09:26 AM   #24
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Many years ago when I was a wee tot, I bought a Buick Grand National. I had no interest in the car really, until a friend of mine took me for a ride in his. Then I drove my own car to the Buick dealership and said "that one over there, please".

One reason I wasn't interested was because C/D R&T or whatever, really panned it. Then a year later, another reviewer just loved it. It's really quite subjective.

So, yes maybe the article is pushing a particular point of view, but overall it's quite positive and identifies that the car perhaps has shifted and evolved from the raw track beast E30 that would beat the tar out of you driving on the street, to the quite relaxed and comfortable G8x that will take you to the track and perform quite admirably, if maybe not quite at the level of a GT3.

At least that was my take on it.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #25
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
I don't think it's a profound statement to say the $150k car doesn't compete with the $85k car.

These comparisons are given validity by the magazines that produce those comparisons.
The price gap has shrunk quite significantly though. There was a time that a very well optioned M3/4 still significantly undercut the price of a base 911. That is no longer the case today.
I disagree with this. The figures I've seen indicate that M3's have always been around the $75k range adjusting for inflation (unless you want to go back 20 years, at which point I'd question the usefulness of going so far back in time).

Porsche prices, however, have skyrocketed.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
Germanauto9665.50
      05-07-2021, 09:58 AM   #26
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

You're ticking literally almost every option to get an M4 up to the 911's base price.

I tried to spec an equivalent 911 but got lost in all the options in the configurator . Gotta imagine it's at least 20-30k more expensive for a comparably equipped car.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 10:10 AM   #27
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
The G80 will obliterate a base 911. Hell, a corvette will obliterate a base 911. The true competitor is the 911 S.

Then you're in a fun world where you're comparing a dual-purpose 4 door sedan to a "pure" sports car worth twice its price. Just makes no sense.

I wonder if people ever do these things to a 911 S.

"A fully optioned 911 S costs $180k, and that's only $50k away from a McLaren, so we're stacking them up against each other."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post

I highly doubt that in rennlist, you have hundreds and hundreds of comments in any new Porsche launch saying 'for that price I'd buy a Macca', etc etc. Highly doubt it.

The amount of Porsche fanboys that insist on spending their time in M3/BMW forums just to say that whatever the use case, whatever the price, whatever the question their cars are better is amazing. That they don't get banned is annoying, as they are not adding anything to the conversation.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 05-07-2021 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 10:12 AM   #28
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

I'd also like to propose the Nobel prize in Mathematics be shared between a forum member and Motortrend.

They have both discovered a fascinating and completely unexpected mathematical curiosity: that when you take car A and add all the options, eventually it gets to the base price of car B!! Incredible!! Who would have known!!
Appreciate 2
EXE462097.00
      05-07-2021, 10:13 AM   #29
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
The G80 will obliterate a base 911. Hell, a corvette will obliterate a base 911. The true competitor is the 911 S.

Then you're in a fun world where you're comparing a dual-purpose 4 door sedan to a "pure" sports car worth twice its price. Just makes no sense.

I wonder if people ever do these things to a 911 S.

"A fully optioned 911 S costs $180k, and that's only $50k away from a McLaren, so we're stacking them up against each other."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post

I highly doubt that in rennlist, you have hundreds and hundreds of comments in any new Porsche launch saying 'for that price I'd buy a Macca', etc etc. Highly doubt it.

The amount of Porsche scum that insist on spending their time in M3 and BMW forums is amazing. That they don't get banned is annoying, as they are not adding anything to the conversation.
Yeah the amount of negativity floating around this place is astounding.

You're not "proving something to BMW" by buying a 911 instead of a G80, you're just proving that you're shopping in a different segment.

I think the stark reality is that there's a huge amount of people that hate how the G80 looks, and from there simply found facts to help support their theory that "BMW is garbage now."

No matter how much you point out that the new car is only 100lbs heavier, that it's faster in every way, and that it's noted as being just as agile, they will refuse to face those facts.

So then you're just left with a group of people, plenty of whom no longer even own BMWs, complaining that things aren't like the good old days and using the new M3 as their vehicle to make that point. Sociologists would have a field day with these folks.
Appreciate 4
SYT_Shadow11421.00
F80SRT695.50
Jmpascual687.50
      05-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #30
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:

You're not "proving something to BMW" by buying a 911 instead of a G80, you're just proving that you're shopping in a different segment.

I think the stark reality is that there's a huge amount of people that hate how the G80 looks, and from there simply found facts to help support their theory that "BMW is garbage now."

No matter how much you point out that the new car is only 100lbs heavier, that it's faster in every way, and that it's noted as being just as agile, they will refuse to face those facts.

So then you're just left with a group of people, plenty of whom no longer even own BMWs, complaining that things aren't like the good old days and using the new M3 as their vehicle to make that point. Sociologists would have a field day with these folks.
The same stupidity reigns supreme in the F8X forum. In the G8X it's just compounded a bit because 'it's ugly'

The Motortrend guy who wrote "I expected to hate it, but after driving it on the track it drove pretty well". The guy is a motor journalist and 'expected to hate' a RWD, inline 6 car that can be bought brand new for 70k with a manual? What car does he get into 'expecting to love'? Something 2x the price?

I'm heavily in the track world and it's so wonderful to use these normal cars to annihilate the same people who believe their car should be unbeatable (usually Porsche drivers) right where they think they have the biggest advantage: at the track. Their lack of comprehension about what just happened is absolute.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 05-07-2021 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 10:31 AM   #31
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Many years ago when I was a wee tot, I bought a Buick Grand National. I had no interest in the car really, until a friend of mine took me for a ride in his. Then I drove my own car to the Buick dealership and said "that one over there, please".

One reason I wasn't interested was because C/D R&T or whatever, really panned it. Then a year later, another reviewer just loved it. It's really quite subjective.

So, yes maybe the article is pushing a particular point of view, but overall it's quite positive and identifies that the car perhaps has shifted and evolved from the raw track beast E30 that would beat the tar out of you driving on the street, to the quite relaxed and comfortable G8x that will take you to the track and perform quite admirably, if maybe not quite at the level of a GT3.

At least that was my take on it.
But that's nothing new, this has been happening throughout the M3's history. It sure didn't started with the G8x M cars. Thus this review is redundant rubbish. Anyhow, I think we give too much credence to reviewers.
      05-07-2021, 10:34 AM   #32
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The same stupidity reigns supreme in the F8X forum. In the G8X it's just compounded a bit because 'it's ugly'

The Motortrend guy who wrote "I expected to hate it, but after driving it on the track it drove pretty well". The guy is a motor journalist and 'expected to hate' a RWD, inline 6 car that can be bought brand new for 70k with a manual? What car does he get into 'expecting to love'? Something 2x the price?

I'm heavily in the track world and it's so wonderful to use these normal cars to annihilate Porsche scum right where they think they have the biggest advantage: at the track. Their lack of comprehension about what just happened is absolute.
I'm with ya - what does that guy expect to love?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 10:41 AM   #33
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Kia/Hyundai et al lol, those are what's trendy these days...
      05-07-2021, 10:43 AM   #34
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
RWD car, available 6MT, 70k starting price, ~50/50 weight distribution. "I expect to hate it" said no intelligent person ever

Perhaps a second Nobel prize is due for the people who have discovered that if you use stock cars and one car is designed to be a jack of all trades and can do all kinds of different things and the other is a vehicle that's extremely focused for just one thing, then the second vehicle will feel better. Also an incredible discovery!

Meanwhile, you can pee your pants laughing reading Rennlist where owners of moderate 991s, like the GTS, talk about removing the wheel well covers and adding sound deadening because they can't take it after driving 2h...
And here we have to hear idiots trying to convince us that GTx cars are fully comparable to M3s, just with a little less space.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 05-07-2021 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 2
EXE462097.00
      05-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #35
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

There's no denying that BMWs of the 2010s - today lack the visceral and engaging nature of their predecessors. However with that being said, "fun" is subjective and changes with time.

I used to think that no modern could be as "fun" as the E9X, however there are a handful of cars that have proven me wrong. While I am an addict for road feel, I can still enjoy a car that has tight, precise steering even if it isn't brimming with road feel.

I've yet to drive the G8X, and my sentiments of the two G20 variants are similar to what R&D has written here, however I still find these cars to be "fun" enough to earn my money.

Last edited by Germanauto; 05-07-2021 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 4
KevinGS3282.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
WWM3956.50
      05-07-2021, 11:17 AM   #36
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Safe to say almost everyone wants BMW to excel in their respective class. M3 especially. Road & Track including. Car enthusiasts are passionate about BMW, deep down; hence if they don't deliver a product to their liking, people get riled up more than that they would if it were a Mercedes, for example.

I don't think anyone expected or hoped that BMW would build a new M3 that is objectively worse than the outgoing model. This car, from what I read, delivers great performance and is objectively better and more capable. If you want a new car and don't mind the styling, then go get it.

This article praised the car in a lot of ways. I see no wrong with it.
heavyD^23684.00
      05-07-2021, 11:19 AM   #37
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Safe to say almost everyone wants BMW to excel in their respective class. M3 especially. Road & Track including. Car enthusiasts are passionate about BMW, deep down; hence if they don't deliver a product to their liking, people get riled up more than that they would if it were a Mercedes, for example.

I don't think anyone expected or hoped that BMW would build a new M3 that is objectively worse than the outgoing model. This car, from what I read, delivers great performance and is objectively better and more capable. If you want a new car and don't mind the styling, then go get it.

This article praised the car in a lot of ways. I see no wrong with it.
There's plenty wrong, but it's not the writer's fault. It's automotive journalism in general that's basically useless.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 11:19 AM   #38
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
I disagree with this. The figures I've seen indicate that M3's have always been around the $75k range adjusting for inflation (unless you want to go back 20 years, at which point I'd question the usefulness of going so far back in time).

Porsche prices, however, have skyrocketed.
Yeah the G8X can still be had for around $75k if one avoids unnecessary shit. Unfortunately, dealerships seem to always stock these $90k+ models. If you want to custom order then dealers look at you like you killed their dog and do everything in their power not to accommodate.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #39
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Porsche scum
Quote:
Porsche scum
LOL

You probably should stop letting other people live rent free in your head
      05-07-2021, 11:28 AM   #40
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
LOL

You probably should stop letting other people live rent free in your head
They're paying tenants!!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 11:30 AM   #41
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
The comparison stems from the fact that the M3(4) and 911 have been competing each other in GT racing on tracks around the world for decades. Further, a very strong appeal of the the M3(4) is that they have always offered near 911 levels of driving engagement with more practicality and far less cost, so they were very appealing alternatives. While the M3(4) have always been closer to their MB/Audi segment counterparts in size, they’ve been closer the 911 in driving spirit. Every generation of M3(4) have been pegged against the 911. This is nothing new.
I understand that this is the G80 forum but to say that the "M3(4) have always offered "near" 911 levels of driving engagement and driving spirit " is pushing it a bit especially lately.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 11:30 AM   #42
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
The price gap has shrunk quite significantly though. There was a time that a very well optioned M3/4 still significantly undercut the price of a base 911. That is no longer the case today.
Yeah but base 911's are kind of a myth. They exist on the website but you will never see a new one for sale on a dealer lot and very, very, very few people will ever order a base from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 11:38 AM   #43
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puuhapete View Post
on the bolded I disagree to some extend. The E92 won ALL its 8 tests in Car & Driver. It was also set up against a 911. They loved the E92.
Yeah I can remember the days (been a subscriber since the early 90's) when they were accused of being BMW fanboys but that ended a decade ago. C&D absolutely despised the F3x and was lukewarm on the F8x. They have been pretty punishing on BMW since then.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #44
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
Quote:
The comparison stems from the fact that the M3(4) and 911 have been competing each other in GT racing on tracks around the world for decades. Further, a very strong appeal of the the M3(4) is that they have always offered near 911 levels of driving engagement with more practicality and far less cost, so they were very appealing alternatives. While the M3(4) have always been closer to their MB/Audi segment counterparts in size, they’ve been closer the 911 in driving spirit. Every generation of M3(4) have been pegged against the 911. This is nothing new.
I understand that this is the G80 forum but to say that the "M3(4) have always offered "near" 911 levels of driving engagement and driving spirit " is pushing it a bit especially lately.
Not according to MotorTrend. According to them the G80 is very close to the 911 in speed and feel.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/...-drive-review/
Appreciate 0