BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-10-2021, 07:37 AM   #45
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3008 View Post
My wife hates the front end and wants nothing to do with the buying process. So I told her I hate her Tesla Model Y and want nothing to do with the buying process.
I swapped my Tesla Model 3 performance for the G80, so there's two things I can say with confidence about Tesla:
1. They're an amazing commuter car
2. They're soulless as an enthusiast car
Appreciate 2
Der_Wolf888.00
themnmd1691.00
      05-10-2021, 07:40 AM   #46
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80, Raptor, STI and C8

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Bro she sounds like my ex wife...FYI, I'm the most happily divorced guy in the world.
AMEN!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 07:49 AM   #47
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3008 View Post
My wife hates the front end and wants nothing to do with the buying process. So I told her I hate her Tesla Model Y and want nothing to do with the buying process.
Tesla Model Why?! That thing is hideous

///M
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 08:15 AM   #48
NYCMT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
Quote:
The average age of a buyer is 41 but many M3 buyers are in their mid-20s, and others are closer to 56 — older enthusiasts finally buying the car they've long wanted.

"There is a two-humped profile for the M3's age graph," Koch said. "They are very young or they are old," he said. "There are no 41-year-olds."
Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...p/wbna25352526
That point is probably correct (I know, I'm one of the young ones listed there), but it's worth noting that article is 13 years old.
Despite the tone of the article, and even though it's over ten years old and not specific to BMW, it's actually a pretty insightful regarding the styling of the G8X. In a changing car market with the electrification upheaval already underway, the dramatic styling is likely an attempt to get the attention of the next generation of car buyers, and not a capitulation to certain national markets, as has been proposed repeatedly. This also fits with the questionable marketing campaign. Regardless, they still delivered on driving dynamics and even give us MT. I can forgive a lot for that. And if you like the design, you can yellow and green it up. If you don't, then the dark paints minimize the multiple design forms seemingly devoid of function. Plus, it looks mean as hell in black.

Uh... said my wife...
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2021, 09:22 AM   #49
merlin3008
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I swapped my Tesla Model 3 performance for the G80, so there's two things I can say with confidence about Tesla:
1. They're an amazing commuter car
2. They're soulless as an enthusiast car
I was being a little flip with her when I said that, but I do agree with you. It's perfect for her. She owns her own business where she is driving around our town from client to client. The cargo space and the gadget factor are both strong with her. It will be a good road trip car two as long as we stay within 300 miles. For me, it's fun to drive as it is the polar opposite of the M car.
2016 M235i xdrive, Alpine White, Terra Leather, Orbit Gray Wheels (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2021, 09:48 AM   #50
calibro9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Incoming 2021 G80 M3 SPY

My wife asked me color?, manual ?, and Horsepower. Then she said she couldn't wait to ride that stick .... she loves driving
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 12:53 PM   #51
rowdydaoudy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 Twilight Purple 6MT

My wife wasn't a huge fan at first and as more pics were released with various colors, she grew into it. Now, our discussions are which color combo to order. I've had over 20 M3's since we've been together, so she knows I love individuals and 'out there' colors. Top of the list is either twilight or daytona, with no idea which interior to choose, or portimao on YMB or fiona. She's as anxious as I am for me to order one!
      05-10-2021, 01:30 PM   #52
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

My wife likes the M4C--we now have 4 black cars, but she knew that was the correct color for a luxury performance car. I've had performance cars since we dated in my '70 Formula 400. Married for 50 years this July. She's used to my making 'time to buy a new car' decisions by now. Having flown Phantoms and raced in SCCA, she knows I'll never lose my love of performance cars. Luxury is just the cherry on the sunday. She knew I didn't like the C8's looks or dealer rip-offs, so wasn't surprised I went to a BMW. A bit surprised it wasn't a Porsche, though.
Appreciate 5
02M3ForMe4257.00
Mephisto115.00
jonahk705.00
Der_Wolf888.00
      05-11-2021, 09:22 PM   #53
dJt3xtbook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82

Girlfriend was initially not very happy with my G82 for two reasons. First is that she can't drive it because it's manual (we usually switch off driving when we go on road trips) and second is that she gets really bad motion sickness and it's exacerbated by my rustiness in driving stick (haven't owned a manual car for years and the only clutch movements have been with my left hand on my motorcycles).

The first issue is not going to go away as she's not even that competent driving automatic that I'm not going to let her learn on my G82. Second issue has been slowly going away (might be a combination of me getting smoother with the gear changing and her getting more used to being a passenger). Other than that, she makes comments when we catch other people checking out my car and she nicknamed her "Shakira" because of her hips.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 03:06 AM   #54
Mark Holmes
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5C 2021, BMW 435GC 2015

my wife loves it! ordered the M3C X-drive in malachite green with full KO interior. And I'm really old (63). She commandeered my 2021 M5C as the family car and left me with the 435GC so only fair I get something new!!
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2021, 08:41 AM   #55
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Holmes View Post
my wife loves it! ordered the M3C X-drive in malachite green with full KO interior. And I'm really old (63). She commandeered my 2021 M5C as the family car and left me with the 435GC so only fair I get something new!!
How do you find the M5C? I'm trying to get my old man in one but I'm worried the ride might be too harsh for him.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 04:37 PM   #56
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
How do you find the M5C? I'm trying to get my old man in one but I'm worried the ride might be too harsh for him.
apparently LCI m5c has slightly softer suspension. The car does luxury and isolation very well, but ride is definitely firm all the time. Livable tho, but I'm not sure the m5 would be someone's first choice if they are worried about ride quality first and foremost. Unless you really value that M edge (like most on this forum presumably), you would probably be better off in a M550i if you really care about the ride, and it's cheaper. And yes, the M5 acceleration is pretty ridiculous but it's practically too fast to enjoy without going some dumb speeds.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 02:34 AM   #57
Mark Holmes
Registered
Australia
Rep

The M5C is fantastic. Australian roads are terrible and M5 ride not too harsh. Keep engine in sports plus and rest in comfort for city driving. Certainly way more comfortable than the 650iGC it replaced.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 02:38 AM   #58
Mark Holmes
Registered
Australia
Rep

ps - the acceleration of the M5C is exhilirating and my wife (:-( ) gets a lot of attention
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 02:03 PM   #59
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Holmes View Post
How did you order a 2022? They aren’t out yet
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 09:47 AM   #60
PK1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Took my wife to the local dealer to see a G80. They had a few on the lot a month or so ago so I figured they'd have at least one for her to see in flesh, no luck. Called a few other BMW dealers, nothing on the lots and whatever is coming in is already sold. I'll need to take her back to see one of the sold ones when they come in.
With a little time on our hands, we go to the MB dealer to see if they have a C63 AMG to look at. I figured no way they'd have one, but it was right there so nothing to lose. Walking in the showroom was like walking in a large empty warehouse: there were only 3 cars in the massive showroom. I ask a sales guy that was right there "nothing to sell"? He goes nope! Can't get cars. Funny enough one of the 3 cars was a C63 AMG, the sales guys said they just received it. Someone had built it but couldn't get financing so the deal fell through. Also, "no test drives, no negotiating (of course), this thing will probably sell today, if not tomorrow at the latest."
We go grab lunch, and on the street there's a Tesla store. Walk in, and they only have a model 3 in the store. "Any model S to look at?", the sales guy says they'll get them in November, "but if you want to order one today…" we leave the store.

A couple of days later I went to the Audi store, they had more cars available but only one RS5. The sales guy says these cars are hard to get, so before test driving one he needed to put a quote together, we needed to review it, and I would need to be "comfortable that I would want to buy it following a test drive!" I look at the sales guy with a smile: "you realize what you are asking, right?" He says sorry, he knew, but it's the manager's policy. I get up, thank him for his time and tell him to send his manager my regards. He tells me to stay and that he'll make it happen. Comes back with the keys and says let's go, "but only for "2-3 miles max." I love how the car looks, it pulls like a freight train (when finally in the right gear), but can't stand how slow the transmission is: you step on it and wait... Thank him and go across the lot to the Porsche dealer to see if I can find a Cayman GTS (what are the odds, right?) Sales guy says unless I wanted to buy an SUV, a Panamera or Taycan, other cars are hard to get. He has sold all his 2021 911s, and might be able to get 1-2 Caymans for later this year. He had plenty of time on his hands so we get talking about the Taycan, and he asked me if I wanted to drive one. I said sure, and we take a base model for a spin. It lacked in the power department (being the base), but I was very surprised how comfortable and quiet it was: very compliant suspension even in the sport settings and little road and wind noise on the highway, and of course Porsche build quality. It would be a perfect daily driver, I'm just not ready for that quite yet. I need to get one more ICE with a manual while I can get them, then I might switch to an electric.

I think I'm going to buy my 2018 F80 at the end of the lease in 4 months, and drive it for a while longer and let the supply stabilize before switching. For curiosity, I got a quote from Vroom for my F80 and their offer was $16K above my residual value at the time of trade in!

Interesting times. We all know about supply issues but it was an interesting experience going through the process in person.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 12:54 PM   #61
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Wolf View Post
Tesla Model Why?! That thing is hideous
Yea im not sure what they were thinking there. Let's take our nice but dated model s bodystyle and just stretch it out until it doesn't look good anymore lol I think theyre all about minimizing r&d/production cost of the exterior and interior so they can throw all their money into the powertrain
Appreciate 1
Der_Wolf888.00
      05-15-2021, 07:57 PM   #62
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK1 View Post
Interesting times. We all know about supply issues but it was an interesting experience going through the process in person.
It was interesting reading your story. I have been car shopping in the SF Bay Area and the dealers seem well supplied. BMW SF has 3 M3s on its lot and most of the other dealers have at least one M3 and M4. Audi SF has 4 RS5s, an RS6 and two RS Q8s. Mercedes SF has 32 AMG models. The only one that looks very supply constrained is Porsche - of 55 new cars in stock at Porsche Livermore there's just one gasoline sports car and it's a $252,000 911 Turbo. Porsche Marin has just two 911s.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 09:03 PM   #63
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

My wife saw the car in person for the first time today and she said 'it's fucking ridiculous' in a good way. She thinks the orange interior makes it. Loves the look of the ' exhaust area'
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 09:48 PM   #64
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Married for 21 years. I just turned 48 on 4/20 and the M3 has been my "gotta own one" car since I was 14.
Wife loves cars and I get phone calls while she is commuting sometimes when she sees a R8 or Bentley or Ferrari in a color she thinks looks cool.
I got her hooked on original Top gear when we were newly married and her only two questions when I told her about the new M3 was "you are getting it in AWD?" And "no manual" (she never learned manual)
We have no kids so it's not like we need to save for college.
I don't think any car has a strict rule for a specific age. If there is one thing I believe in it's that you just need to enjoy stuff for yourself. If you like it that is all that matters.

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019077.00
      05-16-2021, 07:32 AM   #65
PK1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK1 View Post
It was interesting reading your story. I have been car shopping in the SF Bay Area and the dealers seem well supplied. BMW SF has 3 M3s on its lot and most of the other dealers have at least one M3 and M4. Audi SF has 4 RS5s, an RS6 and two RS Q8s. Mercedes SF has 32 AMG models. The only one that looks very supply constrained is Porsche - of 55 new cars in stock at Porsche Livermore there's just one gasoline sports car and it's a $252,000 911 Turbo. Porsche Marin has just two 911s.
That's an interesting contrast, a different story from what I noticed in the Dallas area.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 09:40 AM   #66
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Wife: "You always looked like you enjoyed yourself more when you drove stick. Next car can be manual, but be prepared to drive me anywhere I wanna be driven to! So do you have any questio-"

Me: "DEAL"
Appreciate 1
bri10425895.00