BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

02-10-2024, 11:29 PM   #23
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Wait, I'm a bit confused.

You're currently in a G80 CS with stock downpipes, AA EL midpipe, and stock axle back with no valve controller - correct? If you are driving with no valve controller and with the exhaust mode on, which introduces the burbles, then what you're hearing inside the cabin might be annoying resonance from BMW's ASD unless you've somehow coded it completely off. I do not like burbles much, but absolutely despise how boomy and awful it sounds in-cabin when I do turn on the exhaust mode for burbles.

If you are driving at higher RPM's with the exhaust mode on, then ASD might be really introducing boomy and unwanted frequencies/sounds to you through the speakers. If you are experiencing this unwanted sound with the exhaust mode turned off, then yeah - you might need to introduce a few resonators to tame it a bit.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 11:46 PM   #24
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Wait, I'm a bit confused.

You're currently in a G80 CS with stock downpipes, AA EL midpipe, and stock axle back with no valve controller - correct? If you are driving with no valve controller and with the exhaust mode on, which introduces the burbles, then what you're hearing inside the cabin might be annoying resonance from BMW's ASD unless you've somehow coded it completely off. I do not like burbles much, but absolutely despise how boomy and awful it sounds in-cabin when I do turn on the exhaust mode for burbles.

If you are driving at higher RPM's with the exhaust mode on, then ASD might be really introducing boomy and unwanted frequencies/sounds to you through the speakers. If you are experiencing this unwanted sound with the exhaust mode turned off, then yeah - you might need to introduce a few resonators to tame it a bit.
But if I turn off the exhaust mode, it closes the valves for me and it is really quiet. I cant really test that unless I get a valve controller or code asm off. Also, wouldn't this be the case as well with the stock set up? I don't think the exhaust mode is any different in that case. I don't disagree that the asm is partly responsible for this as there is a similar effect with the stock set up but it doesn't get to irritation level like with the EL. I've also considered and thought about this as well, not the biggest fan of the fake noise actually, but I would suspect that it would be equally annoying in both cases.

It seems to be a combination of both most likely. I did notice as well that with AA EL, if I keep it at certain ranges that me rear left speaker cover rattles as well. How do I know? I had someone sit there and identify it and it would go over as soon as a hand was put over it. Figured it was a combination of that particular peak resonance or tone that caused it since it doesn't do it on my stock set up. Really had to get a right frequency to get to replicate it. Probably by the ears felt so irritated also.

Kinda a pain in the ass. The previous f80 CS was just perfect out the box. Didn't want to do anything to it. Probably because it didn't actually have asm. This one, definitely need exhaust noise/work to bring it to life unfortunately.

Last edited by wasya152; 02-10-2024 at 11:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 12:00 AM   #25
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post
But if I turn off the exhaust mode, it closes the valves for me and it is really quiet. I cant really test that unless I get a chance controller or code asm off. Also, wouldn't this be the case as well with the stock set up? I don't think the exhaust mode is any different in that case. I don't disagree that the asm is partly responsible for this as there is a similar effect with the stock set up but it doesn't get to irritation level with it. I've also considered and thought about this as well, not the biggest fan of the fake noise actually, but I would suspect that it would be equally annoying in both cases.
Everyone's ears and hearing is different, and given that I'm a fairly serious musician, I'm pretty sensitive to frequencies and booming noises. To my ears, I can audibly hear the awful ASD coming through the speakers and it makes my drives pretty unpleasant whenever I do turn the exhaust mode on. I typically only turn it on when kids want to hear the car and I leave it on as I drive off for their enjoyment - it isn't for me haha.

If anything, I would look into the SST valve controller as it has the ability to fully open, fully close, and open 50% of the time. What this allows you to do is check if ASD is the culprit behind the sound and if it is, you can opt in for the valves to open all the time for some raunchy fun sound. However, if it's a bit too much still with ASD off and the valves fully open, you could keep it open 50% to tame it.. a win-win for you IMO. Plus.. it's only like $300 so not the biggest waste of money if it turns out to not fix your problem at all. Could probably recoup most of the money if anything
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 09:11 AM   #26
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

Does anyone know if it's possible to code out the exhaust sounds in asm but keep the shift noise?
Appreciate 1
Jobe10181.00
      02-11-2024, 11:37 AM   #27
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

Also, not sure if the g80 also has less sound insulation like all the previous cs models, but kinda make sense. Our doors feel more hollow when closing them than my bros g80 comp. If that's the case, then probably also doesn't help in our case.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 12:46 PM   #28
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

Now I'm wondering if we should just put the AA EL back on again, and just code of the asm fake exhaust noise to see if that actually makes the difference. I'm guessing that with the midpipe, it should be already naturally loud enough and won't need the fake noise anymore. Just need to confirm if it's possible to keep the downshift and upshift noise in place and we might be set to experiment further. Probably should have left the mid pipe in further before rushing to put the stock back in.
Appreciate 1
Skyscraper2265.00
      02-12-2024, 06:20 AM   #29
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

Quote:
I guess the other option maybe 🤔 is to start taking out the resonators from the stock section one at a time. Probably, maybe, removal of 1 would do the trick? But would it match the equal length noise, that I don't know or think so.
My thoughts were the same with leaving the resonator that has the crossover in it as I just want mine a little louder but not raspy.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 09:30 AM   #30
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Now I'm wondering if we should just put the AA EL back on again, and just code of the asm fake exhaust noise to see if that actually makes the difference. I'm guessing that with the midpipe, it should be already naturally loud enough and won't need the fake noise anymore. Just need to confirm if it's possible to keep the downshift and upshift noise in place and we might be set to experiment further. Probably should have left the mid pipe in further before rushing to put the stock back in.
You'll be surprised how much fake exhaust BMW is pumping through the stereo system.
I turned mine off months ago because the ASD messes with the music quality. I can't even hear the engine now to the point it makes driving in manual mode difficult. With windows up it just too quiet.
It's the reason I ordered the AA single mid. I did add the resonator option because of this thread. I just want a little more sound.
I've been told the car is not quiet from friends. They can hear me driving up their street.

So BMW make the cars so quiet inside they have to add fake exhaust sound. Maybe BMW should just cut back on sound deadening and the extra weight; Especially on the competition model.

If you do mess with the stock exhaust I would remove the secondary Cat's and one resonator.

Quote:
Can't wait till we get this monster to the track this season. Going to enjoy those point �� from the Porsche guys. ������
But you'll be giving the point by to some track rat in a Miata in the tight section.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 10:16 PM   #31
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper View Post
You'll be surprised how much fake exhaust BMW is pumping through the stereo system.
I turned mine off months ago because the ASD messes with the music quality. I can't even hear the engine now to the point it makes driving in manual mode difficult. With windows up it just too quiet.
It's the reason I ordered the AA single mid. I did add the resonator option because of this thread. I just want a little more sound.
I've been told the car is not quiet from friends. They can hear me driving up their street.

So BMW make the cars so quiet inside they have to add fake exhaust sound. Maybe BMW should just cut back on sound deadening and the extra weight; Especially on the competition model.

If you do mess with the stock exhaust I would remove the secondary Cat's and one resonator.

But you'll be giving the point by to some track rat in a Miata in the tight section.

No joke about those miatas. Last season, had to do that. Felt so slow until I found out it was one of the seasoned instructors in a race prepared one but kinda stock looking. I went to give him props and he was like "don't feel bad, happens a lot". 😂 I kept pulling away in the straights and he would catch up on the turns, but each time closer and closer. Definitely humbling experience when you have to 👉 a Miata. 😂😂😂
Appreciate 1
Skyscraper2265.00
      02-13-2024, 12:41 AM   #32
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No joke about those miatas. Last season, had to do that. Felt so slow until I found out it was one of the seasoned instructors in a race prepared one but kinda stock looking. I went to give him props and he was like "don't feel bad, happens a lot". 😂 I kept pulling away in the straights and he would catch up on the turns, but each time closer and closer. Definitely humbling experience when you have to 👉 a Miata. 😂😂😂
It’s happened to us all. I was feeling proud in my Griggs equipped Mustang getting the 👈from Corvettes. Then this instructor taking someone for a ride in a POS looking Miata runs me down and passes me at full send. I swear the inside rear came off the ground.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 05:27 PM   #33
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

So I put the AA EL back on after going back to stock. Stock was just too tame. I did however, bimmercode out out the fake exhaust speaker noise ok load, and exhaust speaker burble off. What a difference that made. It sounds so much better and more organic now. I think the 2 sound frequency, one from the speakers and one from the exhaust, was causing the issue. The speaker sound being the culprit. It still just a little too loud for my liking around 4.5-5k rpm, but much much better now. I think with a very light resonator , it will be just right. AA said that they will try to do a resonator section that I can swap in. So looking forward to that and getting this just right. The car is much more exciting to drive now and with the real sounds coming out now, feels and sounds more organic and natural which makes it more exciting.
Appreciate 2
Skyscraper2265.00
E92M3GT114.00
      02-26-2024, 05:52 PM   #34
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I’ve hade the fake ASD off for a while.
I installed the AA resonated a couple weekends ago with the SST valve control.
The resonated mid is perfect for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 12:58 PM   #35
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’ve hade the fake ASD off for a while.
I installed the AA resonated a couple weekends ago with the SST valve control.
The resonated mid is perfect for me.
Glad to hear that. It does feel like a resonator will get the sound to that ideal level, at least for me. I'm assuming you are running the single mid?
Appreciate 1
Skyscraper2265.00
      02-27-2024, 01:40 PM   #36
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Glad to hear that. It does feel like a resonator will get the sound to that ideal level, at least for me. I'm assuming you are running the single mid?
Correct. Single mid.
For what it’s worth I probably could have passed on the valve controller.
Wide open is too obnoxious for me. I’ve actually used the forced closed more frequently to make the car quieter on start up and leaving the neighborhood.
The M valve programming is perfect now. I do have the M Perf ti muffler though.
Appreciate 1
dtronics412.00
      02-27-2024, 02:30 PM   #37
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 /// M50i /// 964 C2

Quote:
Correct. Single mid.
For what it’s worth I probably could have passed on the valve controller.
Wide open is too obnoxious for me. I’ve actually used the forced closed more frequently to make the car quieter on start up and leaving the neighborhood.
The M valve programming is perfect now. I do have the M Perf ti muffler though.
Good feedback. I haven't had a chance to install my AA Single Mid (non-res) and I've been going back and forth on valve controller options. I might install the midpipe before I decide if I need a valve controller. I have a pretty quiet neighborhood with a lot of kids and I don't want disturb anyone.
Appreciate 1
Skyscraper2265.00
      02-27-2024, 08:25 PM   #38
nu2M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Competition xDriv

I have ASD coded off and a valve controller installed. To me, this is a perfect setup but everyone has different taste. I’m not looking for the “race car note” since I have another car that fills that void.With valves fully open, it does drone while cruising on the highway but I kinda like it. It’s easily fixed with a remote back to stock mode. As few have mentioned, try a valve controller before ripping out what you already have.
Appreciate 0